Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 11:51   #2221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangy
Posts: 252
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi Everyone

I am planning to book the Verna SX 1.6 Petrol or Ecosport 1.5 Titanium Petrol.
Could you please help with the below queries
1. Advaith Hyundai claims that the highway handling of the car has improved in 2014 version. Is this true? Any one with 2014 Verna can you confirm?
2. They also claim the suspension issue are totally resolved. Is this true?
3. They claim a mileage of 12 km in Bangalore city traffic. Is this true as well?

Please help. I am planning to book by this week and your advice would be of great help.

If you can spare some time - you can read more about my dilemma in selecting my next car in the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3477414 (Ford Ecosport 1.5 P Titanium or Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX Petrol)

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Hi,
Let me try and answer the questions you have.
1. Highway handling has improved. I test drove both 2013 and 2014 car back to back. there is lot of improvement. Since my car is new and Manual says do not cross above 85Kms first 1200 kms i didnot push it to limit. Yes occasionally have taken car till 110 kms on highway and did not feel anything alarming.
2. Absolutely. The suspensions have improved a lot. there is no boat like feeling. no scraping speed breakers. i had taken it to coorg where some roads were not existent, however car behaved absolutely normal. No issues at all.

3. Regarding Mileage. Mine is diesel. i'm getting 14 during city runs, and 18 kms during highway run. However needs to spend little more time to give you exact mileage figure. Other verna Owners can comment on this.

Overall there may be ask for little more steering feedback. However it is not a deal breaker.

I do not own a Ecosport. Neither i can confirm petrol mileage.

In contention fiesta and linea tjet can also be considered. However the safety feature, other bells and whistles cannot be matched with verna. Also with regards to service center backup, i feel after maruti its hyundai which you can vouch for.


Last edited by Endofdayz : 14th July 2014 at 11:55.
Endofdayz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 09:44   #2222
BHPian
 
Fusion2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 146
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi Everyone
...
3. They claim a mileage of 12 km in Bangalore city traffic. Is this true as well?
...
Can't say for Bangalore, but in Gurgaon stop/go commuting traffic, I get about 11.5 in the summer and around 12.3 in winters, AC on all the time, throughout the year. This is with a 2012 SX(O) Petrol Verna.
Fusion2006 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 15:45   #2223
BHPian
 
Naetik30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Hi All. I checked Honda City and Hyundai Verna back to back. I still feel Hyundai Verna looks and feels better. City is an amazing car and looks great from outside - but the inside does not look like a 10L car when compared to the Verna.

My wife felt the interiors of Honda City are very old school and still does not measure up to the 3 year old Verna design. I did a test drive of Verna and did not notice the boat like feeling at all in the new 2014 model. The SA also said that the GC has been increased by 3mm or so. And on top of that the Verna is cheaper by almost 1 lak as compared to equivalent model of City (Verna 1.6 SX vs City VMT - both in Petrol).

I will be booking either Petrol SX 1.6 or CRDi SX 1.6 tomorrow. My running is about 15k-16k per year so slightly in a dilemma on whether to go for Petrol or diesel. Any advice on this will be highly appreciated.
Naetik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 16:04   #2224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi All. I checked Honda City and Hyundai Verna back to back. I still feel Hyundai Verna looks and feels better. City is an amazing car and looks great from outside - but the inside does not look like a 10L car when compared to the Verna.

My wife felt the interiors of Honda City are very old school and still does not measure up to the 3 year old Verna design. I did a test drive of Verna and did not notice the boat like feeling at all in the new 2014 model. The SA also said that the GC has been increased by 3mm or so. And on top of that the Verna is cheaper by almost 1 lak as compared to equivalent model of City (Verna 1.6 SX vs City VMT - both in Petrol).

I will be booking either Petrol SX 1.6 or CRDi SX 1.6 tomorrow. My running is about 15k-16k per year so slightly in a dilemma on whether to go for Petrol or diesel. Any advice on this will be highly appreciated.
Exactly the reasons I went for the Verna. Verna has better ride quality with improved suspension. Plus I got a Good deal with features comparable to city's v variant at price lesser than sv variant minus the waiting period. Imo go for the Verna diesel .
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 21:46   #2225
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,512
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
I did a test drive of Verna and did not notice the boat like feeling at all in the new 2014 model. The SA also said that the GC has been increased by 3mm or so. And on top of that the Verna is cheaper by almost 1 lak as compared to equivalent model of City (Verna 1.6 SX vs City VMT - both in Petrol).
+1 to the Verna's handling. I took a drive and felt the handling was quite acceptable. It was comfortable on the highways at 3 digit speeds. The only problem was the ultra light steering,that still remains bad. Even at city speeds the Verna had a more stiff ride compared to the City,almost euro car like,may be its the better handler at high speeds too ?(couldn't take the City to a open road)

The City trumps the Verna in the rear seat though. Its massively spacious and I felt the under-thigh support to be better too.

With 15-16k a year,i'd close my eyes and get the diesel if I were you.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 21:58   #2226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 59
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I am in a dilemma on which car to buy...
Shortlisted these cars on basis of TDs.
1. Skoda Rapid.
2. Fiat Linea.
3. Honda City.

The Verna didn't even figure in my radar. Booked the Honda City after much deliberation but it seems their plant is shifting from place A to B, so the car delivery will be delayed further.

Finally, I decided to TD the Verna, egged on by my friends. I found the GC pretty low at 165 mm and so were the seats. In fact, gettin in is like actually bowing down to touch some one's feet...But the engine felt OK and so did the interiors.

I feel the USP of this car is the ASS and the wide dealer network.

Will surely post an ownership review once I get the car.
nda992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 12:57   #2227
BHPian
 
Naetik30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
Exactly the reasons I went for the Verna. Verna has better ride quality with improved suspension. Plus I got a Good deal with features comparable to city's v variant at price lesser than sv variant minus the waiting period. Imo go for the Verna diesel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
+1 to the Verna's handling. I took a drive and felt the handling was quite acceptable. It was comfortable on the highways at 3 digit speeds. The only problem was the ultra light steering,that still remains bad. Even at city speeds the Verna had a more stiff ride compared to the City,almost euro car like,may be its the better handler at high speeds too ?(couldn't take the City to a open road)

The City trumps the Verna in the rear seat though. Its massively spacious and I felt the under-thigh support to be better too.

With 15-16k a year,i'd close my eyes and get the diesel if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi,
Let me try and answer the questions you have.
1. Highway handling has improved. I test drove both 2013 and 2014 car back to back. there is lot of improvement. Since my car is new and Manual says do not cross above 85Kms first 1200 kms i didnot push it to limit. Yes occasionally have taken car till 110 kms on highway and did not feel anything alarming.
2. Absolutely. The suspensions have improved a lot. there is no boat like feeling. no scraping speed breakers. i had taken it to coorg where some roads were not existent, however car behaved absolutely normal. No issues at all.

3. Regarding Mileage. Mine is diesel. i'm getting 14 during city runs, and 18 kms during highway run. However needs to spend little more time to give you exact mileage figure. Other verna Owners can comment on this.

Overall there may be ask for little more steering feedback. However it is not a deal breaker.

I do not own a Ecosport. Neither i can confirm petrol mileage.

In contention fiesta and linea tjet can also be considered. However the safety feature, other bells and whistles cannot be matched with verna. Also with regards to service center backup, i feel after maruti its hyundai which you can vouch for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Can't say for Bangalore, but in Gurgaon stop/go commuting traffic, I get about 11.5 in the summer and around 12.3 in winters, AC on all the time, throughout the year. This is with a 2012 SX(O) Petrol Verna.

Thanks everyone. Finally booked the Hyundai Verna CRDi 1.6 SX on Wednesday. After much calculation and time on XLS I decided Diesel made more sense to me. Instead of paying the petrol bunk, I will be paying the bank (EMI) and end of the month I will have INR 1000 extra in my pocket. So that works. Expecting to take delivery once the current lunar month is up (Ashada month) - Just cant wait.

Note: I tried out the new Honda City 2014. But honestly the interiors are not even comparable to Hyundai Verna. My wife felt our i10 door arm rest is much better designed. And the engine is also much more responsive than Honda City i-DTEC. No offense to Honda owners.

I have been lusting over the Eco sport for more than a year - but when the time came to book - I could not get myself to put down 11Laks for it. It is just over priced and the interiors are just not comparable to sedans. I am giving up riding on huge pot holes to get all the other comforts of my Hyundai Verna.

Last edited by Naetik30 : 18th July 2014 at 13:01. Reason: Removed a wrong quote.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 07:56   #2228
BHPian
 
sunilsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mohali
Posts: 180
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi Everyone

I am planning to book the Verna SX 1.6 Petrol or Ecosport 1.5 Titanium Petrol.
Could you please help with the below queries
1. Advaith Hyundai claims that the highway handling of the car has improved in 2014 version. Is this true? Any one with 2014 Verna can you confirm?
2. They also claim the suspension issue are totally resolved. Is this true?
3. They claim a mileage of 12 km in Bangalore city traffic. Is this true as well?

Please help. I am planning to book by this week and your advice would be of great help.

If you can spare some time - you can read more about my dilemma in selecting my next car in the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3477414 (Ford Ecosport 1.5 P Titanium or Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX Petrol)

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Naetik30, people from advaith hyundai are right. The handling of the car has drastically improved from the 2013 version but it isn't confidence inspiring either. The ground clearance has improved and doesn't scrap the bumps at all.

The only problem is with the suspension which is better and has reduced the boat like feeling but the rear seat is far from comfortable and the driver will not have enough confidence while cornering.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 15:32   #2229
BHPian
 
santhosh_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

After a really long thought about my car upgrade, i finally booked Verna 1.6 Diesel AT. I currently own a swift VDI and badly wanted to upgrade to an Auto transmission. I couldn't convince myself to go back to petrol vehicles, so i had to stretch my pocket a little bit to afford this beast. I have been given a waiting period of 15 days from Advaith Hyundai Bangalore. Couldn't wait to take it home .
santhosh_lv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:26   #2230
BHPian
 
Naetik30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
After a really long thought about my car upgrade, i finally booked Verna 1.6 Diesel AT. I currently own a swift VDI and badly wanted to upgrade to an Auto transmission. I couldn't convince myself to go back to petrol vehicles, so i had to stretch my pocket a little bit to afford this beast. I have been given a waiting period of 15 days from Advaith Hyundai Bangalore. Couldn't wait to take it home .
Congratz on your booking. I too have booked CRDi 1.6 SX with Advaith Hyundai Bannerghatta Road. At which branch did you book? Any freebies you are getting other than the discounts?
Naetik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:20   #2231
BHPian
 
santhosh_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI Automatic GearBox

After driving my swift D for 68000 kms, I have decided to change my car to something that is easy to drive in city (I am referring to the Bangalore traffic). Since I am a Diesel engine fan, I went ahead with booking a Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI AT (last week) after a very convincing drive that i was offered.

Coming to the technical parts of the question -
1. Since very few vehicles offer auto transmission on diesel engines, how efficient they really are?
2. How does the maintenance for auto transmission gear box look like (please elaborate)? Couple of posts talk about the gear box change due to issues(completely subjective), which apparently costed them 2 lakhs
3. Is it advisable to shift to N(Neutral) during long red lights. Breaking on 'D' only adds up to waste of fuel.
4. Since Verna doesn't offer a manual Eco and Sport model in AT, how does the AT gear box react to the driving style?
5. How high are the RPM's on AT when compared to MT during city and express way driving conditions?
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:01   #2232
BHPian
 
anandkumargb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI Automatic GearBox

Hi Santhosh,

Congratulations on booking the AT Verna!

My father in law has AT verna so I have some experience with the car and I have also done some research on it before buying. Let me try answering your questions below.

Coming to the technical parts of the question -

1. Since very few vehicles offer auto transmission on diesel engines, how efficient they really are?

The (Direct shifting gearbox) DSG Auto gearboxes offered in the VW group diesel cars are very efficient and fun to drive. They are dual clutch gearboxes. Examples are Laura, Jetta, Superb and now soon to be launched Vento/Rapid TDI DSG. Verna, Elantra, Scorpio, Endeavor, Fortuner all use the Torque converter type of gearbox which are little less fuel efficient and take a little more time to change gears.

2. How does the maintenance for auto transmission gear box look like (please elaborate)? Couple of posts talk about the gear box change due to issues(completely subjective), which apparently costed them 2 lakhs ..

The 7 speed DGS gearboxes in Superb had issues and were replaced 'mostly' under goodwill by the company. The torque converters are widely used and more reliable than DSGs and I have not heard of many gearbox failures as compared to DSGs. Pls take the extended warranty just to be on the safer side.

3. Is it advisable to shift to N(Neutral) during long red lights. Breaking on 'D' only adds up to waste of fuel.

Bang on!

4. Since Verna doesn't offer a manual Eco and Sport model in AT, how does the AT gear box react to the driving style?

Even though the Verna gearbox is a old school, dated 4 speed torque converter, I found that it does the job really well. The shifts are smooth and car just responds beautifully and when floored car flies.

5. How high are the RPM's on AT when compared to MT during city and express way driving conditions?

It totally depends on your driving style. If you use light right foot, the car upshifts as early as 1800 RPM in both driving conditions.

Santhosh - One thing I can tell you is that you will not have complaints or regret buying Verna AT.

If you want to know what is jerky gearshifts, TD a celerio or Zest Diesel AMT.

All the best!

Last edited by anandkumargb : 22nd July 2014 at 15:03.
anandkumargb is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:24   #2233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 131
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

A friend is looking at the Verna, undecided between top end petrol and diesel automatics. Read a lot thru this thread but any further inputs will be most welcome.

Also, the dealer is pressurising to order tomorrow itself, saying that the prices are going up by 30K on Monday. True?

Edit: He drives maybe only 500kms a month but the diesel is more loaded than the petrol hence the thought of diesel.

Last edited by kumar2007 : 25th July 2014 at 15:28.
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:42   #2234
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,332 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Edit: He drives maybe only 500kms a month but the diesel is more loaded than the petrol hence the thought of diesel.
The automatic is best avoided on the Verna. It uses an old school 4 speed box. I find it over priced too. Both diesel and petrol Verna's have the same equipment levels.

If automatic is a must, your friend is better off with the Honda City, Vw Vento TSI, Nissan Sunny or Renault Scala.

At 500km a month, a petrol is the way to go.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 18:06   #2235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 235
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Hey guys.
Going to be replacing our 2006 Aveo soon. A petrol manual Verna is one of the contenders. Got a couple of questions for current owners.

1. Realistically how much mileage can one expect ?

2. How is the engine? Everyone I seem to know with a fluidic Verna has a CRDI. On paper, the petrols specs seem good. How does it compare to say, the 3rd gen City's I-VTEC.

3. Is the air conditioner effective?

4. Is the Verna due for a model change soon?

Lastly, what are the offers running on the Verna. Like approx ball park figures.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by promit : 25th July 2014 at 18:08.
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review Stratos Official New Car Reviews 387 5th July 2016 11:49
Hyundai Verna 1.5 CRDi Diesel Automatic Test Drive - My Views VSG12777 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 12th January 2011 10:43
Hyundai Verna(VGT) test drive(torture drive) tsk1979 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 3rd October 2008 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks