Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th July 2014, 18:50   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I am not an owner, but I have test driven the City as well as the Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Hey guys.
Going to be replacing our 2006 Aveo soon. A petrol manual Verna is one of the contenders. Got a couple of questions for current owners.

1. Realistically how much mileage can one expect ?
Verna: I got 10 in the city and around 14 to 15 on the highway. With light foot, expect it to go up.
City: I got 12 in the city and around 17 on the highway. Again, with a light foot, expect it to go up.

Quote:
2. How is the engine? Everyone I seem to know with a fluidic Verna has a CRDI. On paper, the petrols specs seem good. How does it compare to say, the 3rd gen City's I-VTEC.
For Petrol, I would recommend going for City (with upgraded tyres ofcourse ).
But for Diesel, Verna is better than the City.

Quote:
3. Is the air conditioner effective?
Yes, very effective in both the vehicles.

Quote:
4. Is the Verna due for a model change soon?
Yes, there are rumours of a face lifted version getting launched by year end. But as of now, I guess Hyundai is busy with the launch of 2015 i20.

Quote:
Lastly, what are the offers running on the Verna. Like approx ball park figures.

Thanks in advance
No idea on this. Maybe some recent buyers can help you on it.

On a side note, I found the fit and finish in the Verna to be better than the City (not comparing with the European models though).

If you want recommendation for other cars in Petrol, then I would suggest checking out the Linea Tjet and the Vento TSi.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 25th July 2014 at 18:54.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 22:35   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
If you want recommendation for other cars in Petrol, then I would suggest checking out the Linea Tjet and the Vento TSi.
We already have a City (3rd gen). So the City is ruled out for now by my mom mainly. Not very keen on getting another one. The City is a fabulous drive, I love driving it man. All the complaints I have had, regarding interiors and soft suspension have been sorted in the new City I believe.

Thanks for your feedback. I will be inquiring about the Verna this weekend. Not looking for an auto as such, but Vento TSi is an interesting option.
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 07:55   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
We already have a City (3rd gen). So the City is ruled out for now by my mom mainly. Not very keen on getting another one. The City is a fabulous drive, I love driving it man. All the complaints I have had, regarding interiors and soft suspension have been sorted in the new City I believe.

Thanks for your feedback. I will be inquiring about the Verna this weekend. Not looking for an auto as such, but Vento TSi is an interesting option.
Hi Promit

I just bought Honda City Diesel. If you love super peppy drives and not much concerned bout mileage, go for Verna.
City does not give that adrenal rush which Verna is capable of.

My two cents.

Cheers - Harpreet
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 08:34   #2239
BHPian

The new Honda city's cabinet insulation is not done as well as Verna, hence the cabin noise levels are slightly high. The 2014 version of Verna gives you a good driving acoustics matching the Honda City, however Verna's 6 gear MT is much more fun to drive. Also, Honda might take an year or two to correct the defects. So, IMO Verna would be a best bet, and definitely if you are choosing a diesel variant.

Quote:

santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 09:24   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys.
Going to be replacing our 2006 Aveo soon. A petrol manual Verna is one of the contenders. Got a couple of questions for current owners.

1. Realistically how much mileage can one expect ?

2. How is the engine? Everyone I seem to know with a fluidic Verna has a CRDI. On paper, the petrols specs seem good. How does it compare to say, the 3rd gen City's I-VTEC.

3. Is the air conditioner effective?

4. Is the Verna due for a model change soon?

Lastly, what are the offers running on the Verna. Like approx ball park figures.

Thanks in advance
The 2014 Verna is an excellent offering for the price and is true value for money. But, if you are anyway planning for Petrol, then the NVH Levels is not a point to consider at all given that Petrol Engines are refined. And also the i-VTEC is not a laggard of any sort.

As already called by others the main reason to pay the extra money for the City would be for the below aspects:
  • Honda Badge & City Badge (atleast as of now, the City is still an iconic model)
  • Rear Seats: This is another thing that Hyundai needed to have improved along with the suspension. But looks like they make corrections in steps. Maybe the next facelift will offer better rear seats.
  • Cruise Control: This is a very underrated feature I would say and was not really a huge point when I made the decision to go with the i-DTEC City but I have used it very effectively on highways and definitely adds to making Highway driving a pleasure.

Also check the comparison brochure that Honda has prepared in comparison with the Verna: URL (2014 Honda City My Diesel Rockstar Arrives)
vsrivatsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 10:27   #2241
BHPian

Quote:

I am not commenting on the City as I haven't driven the new one, but I did get an opportunity to drive a Verna diesel with four people on board and frankly it was terrible to put it mildly. If you travel with 3 or 4 people in the car, the Verna should be ruled out. The ride is terrible at highway speeds and the body roll tires you out. The owner liked my Punto better, of course it's not on your list but you should consider the Vento/Rapid/City not necessarily in that order.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 10:59   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I am not commenting on the City as I haven't driven the new one, but I did get an opportunity to drive a Verna diesel with four people on board and frankly it was terrible to put it mildly. If you travel with 3 or 4 people in the car, the Verna should be ruled out. The ride is terrible at highway speeds and the body roll tires you out. The owner liked my Punto better, of course it's not on your list but you should consider the Vento/Rapid/City not necessarily in that order.
Did you test drive the 2014 edition or the old one? Because the problems you have mentioned were there in the old model and they are taken out in 2014 edition. The suspension and gc are far better than 2013.model.
sunilsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 11:41   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Did you test drive the 2014 edition or the old one? Because the problems you have mentioned were there in the old model and they are taken out in 2014 edition. The suspension and gc are far better than 2013.model.
The buyer has to compare it to the competition and if better is relative to the existing model, then the benchmark is pretty low. Little fixes are possible, I doubt this car is comparable to the Honda City of the vag twins.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 12:12   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
The buyer has to compare it to the competition and if better is relative to the existing model, then the benchmark is pretty low. Little fixes are possible, I doubt this car is comparable to the Honda City of the vag twins.
avira_tk how would you rate honda city's build quality compared to vento?
Old 27th July 2014, 12:53   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Hi avira. I suggest you take a test drive of the 2014 Verna and Honda city diesels. Hyundai has indeed from fixed the suspension problems. The nvh levels of Verna diesel are far better than city. And city's diesel engine is real not comparable to Verna's.
Naetik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 14:41   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi avira. I suggest you take a test drive of the 2014 Verna and Honda city diesels. Hyundai has indeed from fixed the suspension problems. The nvh levels of Verna diesel are far better than city. And city's diesel engine is real not comparable to Verna's.
Totally agree with Naetik30 Verna's cabin is a much better place to be in compared to city. 1.5 dtec engine is slowest of the lot compared to Vento or Verna's engine.
Old 27th July 2014, 22:44   #2247
BHPian

Default Test Drive of Verna 1.6 Petrol

I checked out the Verna 1.6 petrol today. I was keen on the EX, I imagined it had dual airbags and ABS and missed out only on alloy wheels majorly. But damn, just a driver airbag. A 50k premium gets you alloys, passenger airbag, rear headrests, retractable mirros. So if I buy a Verna, it will be the SX only.

The test drive went well. I have gotten used to driving with a very light steering, thanks to my Gi10, so I can't really complain about the steering. I felt right at home. The clutch and gear operation were extremely smooth as was expected.
I thought it handled bad roads really well, absorbs bumps better than my City iVTEC. Now with the suspension update and all, I didn't find any excessive floaty-ness per se. (I haven't driven the pre-update Verna)
Found a comfy driving position within seconds. From the driver's point of view, it's a good comfortable car to drive. The engine is pretty good. It is peppy. It is in a different league compared to the 1.2L engine I drive everyday. It can pull in second gear at low rpms, unlike my City. Compared to our Aveo, the drive is several notches higher definitely. In comparison, the drive on the Aveo is clunky at best, for lack of a better word. The 1.6 isn't bad man.
The car gets disc brakes all around. The new alloys look really great. I am so glad, Hyundai haven't skimped on the stock tire size. AC seemed effective, and it was really hot today in the middle of the day. How does the music system sound with USB/cd ? I turned on the radio but it didn't sound very good. Will take a pen drive along if I test drive it again. I felt there could have been a little more space in the rear. Also noted, the rear seats are set quite low. I felt rear leg room was a tad less. Glad it comes with a full MID. Insulation is top class. I find the interiors okay, no compliments but no complaints either. Very functional. Quality of plastics is decent. As for mileage, I'm going to be very realistic and say 10-11 kmpl is what it will give, which is okay because running isn't much. Not much more than this. Showroom people shamelessly said 15-16.

On the pricing front, the Verna SX 1.6 VTVVT is 9.5xL on road Gurgaon registration. With discounts and loyalty and stuff, it works out to about 9L.
The equivalent model of the Honda City, the V is 9.8xL on road. Probably no discount, so a difference of 80k.

For a self driven car (for my mum) which will barely ever see the highway or >100 kmph. It has the usual toys and gizmos and seems vfm at 9L.

A lot of you guys have suggested to go in for the City. The only things going against it is, that we have a 2.5 year old City at home. Don't really want to get another one. Agreed, it's a great drive and the Honda badge. No arguments there. However, I'l admit my own City isn't the best built car out there. And I believe the new one is also really light. Saw posts on other threads about panel gaps and stuff. A City will easily give 10-20% better mileage. In my garage, my City is more fuel efficient than the Aveo, Gi10 and the Santro Xing which was sold, belive it or not.
That being said, I will definitely check out the new City too before taking a call.

Thanks a lot guys!
promit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 07:33   #2248
Senior - BHPian

I do not own a Verna. Can answer your questions though.

Quote:
Realistically how much mileage can one expect ?
No more than 9-10kmpl in the city. 14-15kmpl on the highway.

Quote:
How is the engine? How does it compare to say, the 3rd gen City's I-VTEC.
If you are asking about the petrol, its a very refined unit. Engine response and power do not line up with Hyundai claim though. This is not an engine that likes to be thrashed. If your driving style is more easy going, none of this should matter. In general, Hyundai petrols have very high reliability. CRDI (common rail diesel injection) refers to the diesel Verna. This diesel engine is the star of the segment when it comes to refinement. Offers superb economy too. Good reliability. The petrol Verna is no match for the City's ivtec.

Quote:
Is the air conditioner effective?
Yes.

Quote:
Is the Verna due for a model change soon?
I don't know about this.

Quote:
In my city, they have unsold 2013 stock of cars which are discounted but the saving is something like Rs. 25000 and free insurance. I would pick the 2014 Verna as the suspension is much improved.
sandeepmohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 08:24   #2249
BHPian

Current offers include 25000 cash and 20000 exchange. 12500 loyalty bonus and 5000 corporate discount.
Old 28th July 2014, 08:29   #2250
BHPian

I have the 2012 variant and completed 28 K. Tested the mileage full tank to full tank - I usually get about 12/ltr. Best diesel engine in the class for sure.
eethanhunt is offline   Reply With Quote