Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th July 2014, 09:48   #2251
BHPian

Default Re: Test Drive of Verna 1.6 Petrol

Very well written. Couldn't agree more.

I have booked a Verna 1.6 CRDI Auto-transmission and the car is ready for delivery day after tomorrow(took 10 days from the day of booking). Here are the discounts i got from the dealer

1. Cash discount of 20,000
2. Exchange bonus of 25,000 for my Swift VDI (Otherwise, loyalty bonus of 20,000 if any Hyundai car is registered on the owner's name)

I have decided not to take the insurance from the dealer. They have given me an insurance quote of Rs. 44,000+4000(bumper to bumper) = 48,000. However i got the same insurance done from Royal sundaram at 34,000. Apparently there is a lot of dealer and agent commission involved going via a dealer.

I have driven 2013 version of verna during my TD and i haven't lost any confidence at a speed of 110 KMPH. I am happy that the bumpy ride is solved in the 2014 version. I feel high speed driving issues reported are slightly overrated. If someone is loosing confidence in Verna at really high speeds, then that person should either ways be cautious to drive those speeds on Indian roads.

Talking about Honda City -

1. It just launched its new gen vehicle and it doesn't have cabinet cladding as Verna which leads to noisy cabin.
2. The tyres are skinny to bring in great FE and equally scary to drive on high speeds.
3. The AC touch panels leaves lot of finger prints.

I am sure Honda will address all these issues in 2015 version and makes sense to buy during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I checked out the Verna 1.6 petrol today. I was keen on the EX, I imagined it had dual airbags and ABS and missed out only on alloy wheels majorly. But damn, just a driver airbag. A 50k premium gets you alloys, passenger airbag, rear headrests, retractable mirros. So if I buy a Verna, it will be the SX only.

The test drive went well. I have gotten used to driving with a very light steering, thanks to my Gi10, so I can't really complain about the steering. I felt right at home. The clutch and gear operation were extremely smooth as was expected.
I thought it handled bad roads really well, absorbs bumps better than my City iVTEC. Now with the suspension update and all, I didn't find any excessive floaty-ness per se. (I haven't driven the pre-update Verna)
Found a comfy driving position within seconds. From the driver's point of view, it's a good comfortable car to drive. The engine is pretty good. It is peppy. It is in a different league compared to the 1.2L engine I drive everyday. It can pull in second gear at low rpms, unlike my City. Compared to our Aveo, the drive is several notches higher definitely. In comparison, the drive on the Aveo is clunky at best, for lack of a better word. The 1.6 isn't bad man.
The car gets disc brakes all around. The new alloys look really great. I am so glad, Hyundai haven't skimped on the stock tire size. AC seemed effective, and it was really hot today in the middle of the day. How does the music system sound with USB/cd ? I turned on the radio but it didn't sound very good. Will take a pen drive along if I test drive it again. I felt there could have been a little more space in the rear. Also noted, the rear seats are set quite low. I felt rear leg room was a tad less. Glad it comes with a full MID. Insulation is top class. I find the interiors okay, no compliments but no complaints either. Very functional. Quality of plastics is decent. As for mileage, I'm going to be very realistic and say 10-11 kmpl is what it will give, which is okay because running isn't much. Not much more than this. Showroom people shamelessly said 15-16.

On the pricing front, the Verna SX 1.6 VTVVT is 9.5xL on road Gurgaon registration. With discounts and loyalty and stuff, it works out to about 9L.
The equivalent model of the Honda City, the V is 9.8xL on road. Probably no discount, so a difference of 80k.

For a self driven car (for my mum) which will barely ever see the highway or >100 kmph. It has the usual toys and gizmos and seems vfm at 9L.

A lot of you guys have suggested to go in for the City. The only things going against it is, that we have a 2.5 year old City at home. Don't really want to get another one. Agreed, it's a great drive and the Honda badge. No arguments there. However, I'l admit my own City isn't the best built car out there. And I believe the new one is also really light. Saw posts on other threads about panel gaps and stuff. A City will easily give 10-20% better mileage. In my garage, my City is more fuel efficient than the Aveo, Gi10 and the Santro Xing which was sold, belive it or not.
That being said, I will definitely check out the new City too before taking a call.

Thanks a lot guys!
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 10:55   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Very well written. Couldn't agree more.

I have booked a Verna 1.6 CRDI Auto-transmission and the car is ready for delivery day after tomorrow(took 10 days from the day of booking). Here are the discounts i got from the dealer

1. Cash discount of 20,000
2. Exchange bonus of 25,000 for my Swift VDI (Otherwise, loyalty bonus of 20,000 if any Hyundai car is registered on the owner's name)

I have decided not to take the insurance from the dealer. They have given me an insurance quote of Rs. 44,000+4000(bumper to bumper) = 48,000. However i got the same insurance done from Royal sundaram at 34,000. Apparently there is a lot of dealer and agent commission involved going via a dealer.

I have driven 2013 version of verna during my TD and i haven't lost any confidence at a speed of 110 KMPH. I am happy that the bumpy ride is solved in the 2014 version. I feel high speed driving issues reported are slightly overrated. If someone is loosing confidence in Verna at really high speeds, then that person should either ways be cautious to drive those speeds on Indian roads.
Congratulations. Which colour have you booked ? Have you gone in for SX or SX (O). Diesel + Auto combination man . Do share some pictures from delivery.

What were the other cars you considered apart from the Verna, if you don't mind me asking. I am in the same boat. (no pun intended)

Coming to pricing, is it a loyalty discount or exchange bonus. Can both of them be had? I would be trading in an old car and have a Hyundai at home too.
I was also told 20k from Hyundai+10k from the dealer+12.5k loyalty plus more negotiation possible. I have a 50% NCB from a car which I sold 3 months ago. I'l be transferring that. Didn't know there is an exchange bonus too!

The dealer insurance quotes are definitely inflated. It makes a lot of sense to shop for quotes from outside. However, for a lower premium, do examine the terms and conditions and inclusions with a fine toothed comb. Someone told me, for a reduced premium they may leave out things like towing reimbursement, daily taxi allowance etc.

The Verna was launched towards the end of 2011. That's when people really wrote a lot about it being a boat. I think the 2013 models were a little better and also saw some improvement in this regard. ( I could be wrong on this). Maybe that's why you felt the 2013 test drive car you drove was fine.

Enjoy your new car!!
promit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 11:12   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Which colour have you booked ? Have you gone in for SX or SX (O). Diesel + Auto combination man . Do share some pictures from delivery.
Thanks buddy. I gone with the Grey one, my wifey's choice and it is an SX Variant. And yes, Diesel + AT

Quote:
What were the other cars you considered apart from the Verna, if you don't mind me asking. I am in the same boat. (no pun intended)
Now, this might be slightly funny. Since i was driving a Swift D, i always loved owning a Diesel vehicle and i have considered an other hash back upgrade with Auto transmission. Since Verna is the only guy who offered me a D AT, i thought why not consider an upgrade from Hash to Sedan and 1.3 to 1.6 D engine. Taking a step back, if i had to make a choice even between the C2 MT segments, i would have still bought verna for the following reasons

1. 6 speed MT with super smooth clutch and gear assembly
2. Hyundai post sales reliability and spares availability
3. Great refinement (Vento and Rapid might come close and definitely not Honda City iDtech)
4. Driver oriented vehicle - Sheer driving pleasure

Quote:
Coming to pricing, is it a loyalty discount or exchange bonus. Can both of them be had? I would be trading in an old car and have a Hyundai at home too.
I was also told 20k from Hyundai+10k from the dealer+12.5k loyalty plus more negotiation possible. I have a 50% NCB from a car which I sold 3 months ago. I'l be transferring that. Didn't know there is an exchange bonus too!

The dealer insurance quotes are definitely inflated. It makes a lot of sense to shop for quotes from outside. However, for a lower premium, do examine the terms and conditions and inclusions with a fine toothed comb. Someone told me, for a reduced premium they may leave out things like towing reimbursement, daily taxi allowance etc.
A buyer is qualified either for the Loyalty bonus or exchange bonus and not both. That is what the sales engineer told me and the same is mentioned in the customer's docket. 10k dealer discount sounds good, i haven't been offered this one

Quote:
The Verna was launched towards the end of 2011. That's when people really wrote a lot about it being a boat. I think the 2013 models were a little better and also saw some improvement in this regard. ( I could be wrong on this). Maybe that's why you felt the 2013 test drive car you drove was fine.
Totally Agree.
santhosh_lv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 11:33   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
I feel high speed driving issues reported are slightly overrated.
No its not. Handling of the pre face lift Verna is scary and you don't need to drive too fast to realize it. It feels like a boat even at speeds of 100kmph.

Try driving a Skoda Rapid or the segment best Fiat Linea, Ford Fiesta to get an idea.

I know you have already made your purchase. If the car is strictly going to be a city car, then you are okay, else, you are really going to miss the capability of the 1.6l diesel on the Verna.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th July 2014 at 11:36.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 12:01   #2255
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
avira_tk how would you rate honda city's build quality compared to vento?
Honda is built to last, the oldest vento is around 4 years old now, I've been in a 10 year old Honda City smooth ride and not a single rattle. Build quality is not a measurable although it is the biggest talking point for euro cars. Cars that don't rattle and stay reliable are well built honda has this covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi avira. I suggest you take a test drive of the 2014 Verna and Honda city diesels. Hyundai has indeed from fixed the suspension problems. The nvh levels of Verna diesel are far better than city. And city's diesel engine is real not comparable to Verna's.
Hyundai service is expensive even for their petrol hatches, diesel ones are costly and pushy personnel at the ASC. Honda scores big time in cost of ownership. Compare the mileage of the two engines, there's a big differential that cannot be ignored.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 15:54   #2256
BHPian

Hi all

I am expecting delivery of my Hyundai Verna SX CRDi in August. Advaith Hyundai quoted 48k for insurance and so I told them I will get it done outside.

Tata AIG has quoted the following

1. 29.8k for 0 Depreciation policy
2. 37k for 0 depreciation policy + return to invoice
3. 43k (approx) for 0 depreciation + return to invoice + coverage for engine

Now - I was planning to take only 0 depreciation policy. But Tata AIG informed me that 0 depreciation does not cover engine. So how important is the engine cover. It is not a straight forward decision as it costs 50% higher. Please help.
Naetik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 21:23   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

Now - I was planning to take only 0 depreciation policy. But Tata AIG informed me that 0 depreciation does not cover engine. So how important is the engine cover. It is not a straight forward decision as it costs 50% higher. Please help.

I don't understand this. Is Tata AIG saying that their 0% depreciation insurance won't cover repairs/replacement of the car's ENGINE if it gets damaged in an accident??

I really find that hard to accept. If their claim is true, then I'd say that their insurance isn't worth the the paper it's printed on & can't even be called as an 'insurance'!

I think you need to get it absolutely clarified before you jump in.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 10:48   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
I don't understand this. Is Tata AIG saying that their 0% depreciation insurance won't cover repairs/replacement of the car's ENGINE if it gets damaged in an accident??

I really find that hard to accept. If their claim is true, then I'd say that their insurance isn't worth the the paper it's printed on & can't even be called as an 'insurance'!

I think you need to get it absolutely clarified before you jump in.
Exactly my thoughts. I have made up my mind to go with 0% depreciation alone. But the Tata AIG person has the audacity to say that they will not entertain claims on engine even in an accident - which I dont think can be true. But I am going to call him up again and ask for the proper policy wordings.

So along with 0 depreciation policy I am getting key replacement, emergency transportation and the like. So I believe that should be sufficient.
Old 29th July 2014, 16:41   #2259
BHPian

Guys a friend is torn between buying a used 2011-2012 Fluidic Petrol Verna and 3rd Gen City used. If price is no barrier, what is a better choice from a enthusiastic driver POV ?

Personally, I find Hyundai's handling a deal breaker (Accent, i10) as they look ill equipped to handle the highway/expressway. Keeping a the car I have driven most extensively (Baleno) as a benchmark, how does the Verna's handling compare?
sonic_boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 17:36   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
Guys a friend is torn between buying a used 2011-2012 Fluidic Petrol Verna and 3rd Gen City used. If price is no barrier, what is a better choice from a enthusiastic driver POV ?

Personally, I find Hyundai's handling a deal breaker (Accent, i10) as they look ill equipped to handle the highway/expressway. Keeping a the car I have driven most extensively (Baleno) as a benchmark, how does the Verna's handling compare?
Go for the Honda city. Has much better driving dynamics compared to Verna. The handling is superior to Verna. IMO 3 gen city's front grill was Much better than current version. It is also more fuel-efficient car between the two.
sunilsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 21:49   #2261
BHPian

So I finally visited my ASC today and asked them to do my free third service where My Verna has done just 6000 km has been left unused for nearly 2 years.

I was interested in getting the new 2014 projector head lamps but the ASC agent quoted me 46,000 rs per head lamp . How do I find out if my ASC is quoting me right company prices or trying to rip me off ?

I also asked him about replacing the suspension coils under warranty to the new ones as dealers in bangalore are replacing for their customers and he told me that he will replace only if there is a problem like those loud noises from the suspension. Unfortunately due to the low mileage on my car I haven't got any noises yet. Maybe the noises will come only after 20 or 30,000 km but by then I will be out of warranty.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 22:28   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
So I finally visited my ASC today and asked them to do my free third service where My Verna has done just 6000 km has been left unused for nearly 2 years.

I was interested in getting the new 2014 projector head lamps but the ASC agent quoted me 46,000 rs per head lamp . How do I find out if my ASC is quoting me right company prices or trying to rip me off ?

I also asked him about replacing the suspension coils under warranty to the new ones as dealers in bangalore are replacing for their customers and he told me that he will replace only if there is a problem like those loud noises from the suspension. Unfortunately due to the low mileage on my car I haven't got any noises yet. Maybe the noises will come only after 20 or 30,000 km but by then I will be out of warranty.
The price quoted for the headlamps seem to be correct. I was quoted almost INR 1.2 lakhs for the full swap job on my car. All of that for just a halogen based projector setup with some LEDs thrown in The light throw/ effectiveness isn't dramatically different from the reflector setup either (tested demo car vs. mine).

I'd rather get a pair of mini morimotos from TRS retrofitted into the headlamps for less than 1/4th of the amount that Hyundai is asking for. The light output improvement with those morimotos are just amazing. I've experienced them on one of my friend's cars.

On a lighter note, the Service Advisor was trying to justify the astronomical price for the projector setup by claiming that the new headlamps come with a "Special ECU" for managing the "LED headlights"
MaddyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 14:02   #2263
BHPian

I'm seeing condensation inside my front headlights while washing or during early mornings. I don't think this is normal , should I ask my ASC to replace these headlights under warranty ?

You can see pic below for reference.
Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review-photo.jpg
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 19:28   #2264
BHPian

so, it arrived ! The 1.6 SX CRDI AT. Driven it about 50 kms around Bangalore city, the AT definitely made my driving easy during the bumper to bumper traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review-20140730_122458.jpg  

santhosh_lv is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 21:20   #2265
BHPian

Congrats on the ride. I am getting mine soon. I am sure Bangalore traffic will make sure you enjoy your AT every day.