Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th May 2011, 08:21   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Going to book verna tom,the dealer has been calling me since 5 days,told him i will come by tom,he told me he has got some new snaps of the car,and car will be in the showroom by 11 may.iam planning to book verna D 1.6 manuel,but confused SX or SX o..Is SX O only for Auto or for manuel also,Can anyone tell me what is extra in SX O

SX (O) = SX + Side & Curtain airbags, Smart key w/ Push button start, Leather wrapped steering wheel & gear knob, Artificial leather seat upholstery
phoenix_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:04   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
hi

unless you press unlock button on the remote - doors should not open , at least thats what happens in my beemer and there is no logic for car to get unlocked just by mere presence of key near by .

no - unless Key is inside the car - no chance

drive off-> May not go far

nope - it won't start so no question of going anywhere

I had got warnings occasionally when key is a bit far from dash board and these goes off as soon as key comes in range but what happens say if you drop the key while moving or say its with co passengers and he alights - i don't know at the moment - I shall do a practical check tomorrow and update ..
What is the basis for your negation of everything said below with so much confidence? Have you driven or tested this Car? Please help us understand. I do not understand how you can check and confirm by tomorrow. The car is not even in the public domain as yet.

Edit: ajay, I could not check the BT connectivity very intensively except for a brief while with someone else's phone (my office BlackBerry has hazaar nakhraas about connectivity to alien networks due to security reasons). Looked to me like a simple task and it did not take any effort as such to do that.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th May 2011 at 13:18.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:16   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the basis for your negation of everything said below with so much confidence? Have you driven or tested this Car? Please help us understand. I do not understand how you can check and confirm by tomorrow. The car is not even in the public domain as yet.
Hi , I am referring to the one in my car - 530D mentioned in my post , I think basic logics behind such gizmo's will be same .. even the remote of this car looks very same - - similar unlock & lock buttons
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 16:43   #289
BHPian

Some things I really like about the new Verna based on Zappo's review and pictures posted by him :

1. Elegantly integrated boot
2. Beige Interiors (I have a weakness for them)
3. Reverse with camera assist
4. Push Button Start

Hyundai Motor Plaza is right next door to my office and I am sure they are hiding a new Verna somewhere inside. There is a Hyundai vehicle transport truck parked in the vicinity which is evoking a lot of curiosity.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 5th May 2011 at 16:47.
Sugeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 17:13   #290
BHPian

One question about safety. Suppose someone has just stopped his car for a smoke or coffee and standing beside the car. Can some one start the car and run away with the car? Once the car is started i don't know it will switch off even if key is not in proximity ?
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 17:20   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi , I am referring to the one in my car - 530D mentioned in my post , I think basic logics behind such gizmo's will be same .. even the remote of this car looks very same - - similar unlock & lock buttons
Uh oh... Now I understood. So your surmises were based on your 530d. Well, looks like gizmos do differ at times even if they have the similar unlock and lock buttons (this one by the way also has a remote boot lid opener if I am not mistaken).

Just out of curiosity though, in your car, what happens if after starting the car you go out of the car with the key in your pocket? Now your car engine is running and yet the key is outside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
One question about safety. Suppose someone has just stopped his car for a smoke or coffee and standing beside the car. Can some one start the car and run away with the car? Once the car is started i don't know it will switch off even if key is not in proximity ?
This question has been answered just a few posts down in this thread. Please do read through...

Last edited by Zappo : 5th May 2011 at 17:21.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 17:29   #292
BHPian

Absence of reach adjustable steering is surprising given that this is available in the i20.
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 17:47   #293
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir , both of these have boot lid operations but i don't know if it will be Automatic in Verna ,

Quote:
car you go out of the car with the key in your pocket
That's what I plan to do evening when I go back to my home ..
Attached Images

Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 19:15   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Absence of reach adjustable steering is surprising given that this is available in the i20.
I have checked with the dealer here in Chennai,
Tilt steering is available accross all variants
Regarding the keyless entry & button start - the car will start if the key is within 1m radius of the driver's area.
Yes the car can be started and driven away by some one (if the key is within 1m range), but it cant be started again after the 1st engine shutdown- but think about it- will anyone take the car for a joy ride when the owner (or one with the car key) is around within 1 m?

Looks like this car has 12-14 features which are "segment firsts"

Anyways - lets see the car on 11.5.2011

New Thinking New Possibilities - Hyundai with i10, i20 & now AHNV is increasingly making customers think whether to go for a badge and have less features or go for their car and enjoy a lot of features- just my POV
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 19:59   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
I have checked with the dealer here in Chennai,
Tilt steering is available accross all variants
That's what I meant. The steering is adjustable for rake but not reach. That is, you can't pull it forward or push it back like you can do in the i20.
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 20:16   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what happens if after starting the car you go out of the car with the key in your pocket? Now your car engine is running and yet the key is outside the car.
Ok - I just checked - yes the car still runs without key inside

Quote:
Regarding the keyless entry & button start - the car will start if the key is within 1m radius of the driver's area
+ it has be in range of some sensors - if the key is outside even next to closed door - this does not work
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 20:37   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Actually it is not very surprising. It's sheer logic on Hyundai's part. IMO, Hyundai had to skip some features in this otherwise loaded sedan. They did not want to bloat the price sticker with too many not-so-required features. Although we still do not know the final prices this car is expected to be an extremely competitive option in its segment.

Now think of it... reach of the steering; what purpose does it serve?. Can you achieve your purpose by using the super long travel of the driver's seat? I agree it is not an absolute replacement for the reach adjustment feature but still may manage to get you about 70% there maybe? If so this is a very apt feature for a drop-out in favor of other important and desired features while keeping the price bracket within the margins. In some odd cases people may either find their knees hitting the lower dash or else find themselves too far from the pedals in order to keep themselves within their desired distance from the steering. However those will be the odd cases as the driver's seat has a long range of travel and so many adjustments are possible.

I can think of this as the only reasoning on why some of the features seen in their lower priced cars have not made it to this higher priced/segment car which is otherwise so laden with features.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 20:52   #298
Senior - BHPian

Sun roof is another feature present in the i20 but not in the Verna. Though it isn't of much use, it got me wondering when the car was previewed
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 21:58   #299
BHPian

Quote:
hi

drive off-> May not go far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
This question has been answered just a few posts down in this thread. Please do read through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
Regarding the keyless entry & button start - the car will start if the key is within 1m radius of the driver's area.
Yes the car can be started and driven away by some one (if the key is within 1m range), but it cant be started again after the 1st engine shutdown- but think about it- will anyone take the car for a joy ride when the owner (or one with the car key) is around within 1 m?
@Zappo, People are still in doubt, if the engine is started, Can the car be driven away even if key is not near by. If engine shuts done if key is far away then its foolproof. Suppose if its a AT car, which wont accidentally stop and could be taken to safe place without a key? so this feature might not be very safe in India

Last edited by shamanth : 5th May 2011 at 22:05.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 22:31   #300

Apologies in advance for bringing up the topic regarding the handling of the car at speeds in excess of 130kmph. I know it has been extensively discussed in this thread but thought I would share my experience driving an i20, which IMO has the same suspension setup.

I know most of you have said that speeds in excess of 130 are not a common day thing so we don't really care alot about the handling in those speed realms. I would suggest you reconsider. My friends and I were on our way back from a trip in an I20 and we encountered a right turn of about 70-80 degrees (it was absolutely not a right angle turn). And let me remind you this was a fully loaded car (5 guys and baggage). My friend entered the turn at precisely 85kmph and what happened next scared the life out of all of us. The back stepped out and my friend who was totally caught off guard lost control but did manage to fling the car full left so as to avoid hitting the divider. The car then drifted left and headed for a ditch. He then flung it right and the car did a full 180 and rolled back into the opposite lane (there was a gap in the divider)

I don't know if this could have been avoided if we had ABS or all four discs (this was a Sportz version, only front discs). I know taking a turn at 85kmph is spirited driving but my friend still exclaims that he never thought the car would lose control at that speed and with full load. The wheels are also upsized to 195 from the stock 185 and I'm certain we weren't doing more than 85 because all i do seated at the rear center is stare at the speedometer

I'm not saying that the cars in question here are bad, I've even recommended the Verna to my parents as an upgrade from our current Santro. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't try to be over enthusiastic with these cars and you don't need to reach triple digits to rock them like a boat.
ares05 is offline   Reply With Quote