Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th June 2011, 17:57   #901
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I test-drove the ANHV twice in the last few weeks. Drove only the Diesel 1.6L version, because that's what I had my eyes on. Most of what I have captured below are impressions that I have validated over both drives (so at least in my mind, well-etched)

* Side profile is a stunner, esp. from a distance. Most colors on-road look better with dark sunfilms. The back is decent - a rear-spoiler might even make it chunkier, but the front lacks any definite character. Nothing "Fluidic" in the front except for the headlamps/foggies. The hexagon is thematically similar to the i10/20. Paint quality is standard. External plastics (esp, B and C pillar) - el cheapo. Front bumper - looks OK, but very light. I feel it will not be able to withstand even small nudges. Compare it to 2004 Hyundai Santro Xing, can't hold a candle.

* Interiors: Except for the small cubby holes, everything seemed prim and proper. The armrest is cosy, there is a nice recess to keep the iPod or insert the USB (so that it does not jut out from the ICE). Faux wood panels don't feel tacky. The ICE is "Hyundai" (the salespeople did not know the OEM); it's two din but like most ICE with steering mounted controls, very difficult to replace while retaining the controls. I am not a huge ICE junkie, so not a big deal for me -- but this could be a deal breaker. The MID is easy to read and the gear suggestions can make some drivers very comfortable.

* Driver's view: Very sedan-esque low-ride front view. Typical of most Hyundai cars, you cannot see the bonnet and the front-left judgement may need time to settle in. I had a wee bit of a confidence issue driving through the inner narrow lanes in Indiranagar(Bangalore) but judging by the pedestrians' eyes I could feel I was nowhere close to nudging them. The rear view is very claustrophobic. The raised rear offers a narrow window and the headrests punctuate the view. The rear camera is a nice boon in that respect, especially since it comes with red, yellow, green markings to give you 3D approximation.

* The low stance means you do have to slouch a bit to get in. The seats are comfortable but I had a nagging feeling that the backrest was a bit narrow. The cushioning tends to jab your midribs/shoulder blades (and I am not very broad). I did not have the chance to drive long distances so not sure how that will play out in the long run.

* The ads for this class speaks about a lot of “1st in the segment” but the rear-seating is definitely not one of them. The middle row seat is hard both on your rear and back (from where the foldable arm rest comes out). The fabric is good to touch. Because of the low stance, the under-thigh support is not great although legspace is not a huge problem. The rising sideline makes for smaller side windows, so the backseat view is not pan-anything.

* At the showroom, I opened the hood (there was no salesman near me) and stood for about three quarters of a minute trying to figure out how to keep that mouth open. The hood-opening support stick did not seem like a neat idea. Inside the engine compartment things are well laid out with decent spacing to allow lots of air play.

* Now over to the drive. As has been said before, this is not the love-at-first-throttle old 1.5L engine. There is a distinct diesel lag, esp. for people like me who drive petrol motors, and the turbo is spaced out over the 1800-2500 rpm band. Don’t expect the sudden rush that the old motor used to offer. To be fair, I have not had the chance to try to multiple gear shift combinations to dig out any sweet sequencing yet – I have a feeling there might be one if you are ready to strain your clutch assembly a bit (not recommended). However, the engine has loads of reserve power and even on the stretches of Inner Ring Road, I did not feel like pushing beyond the 4th gear (~95 kmph). To be honest, I am a conservative shifter , I prefer the low-end torque which this car offers in good measure. You won’t be caught out of breath trying to overtake must vehicles on the road. Engine thrum is good, though the volume seeps into the compartment between 1st and 2nd gear if you revv it a bit hard.

* Gearbox - the throws are reliable and short. The arm-rest does not brush your elbows while you are at it. The reverse gear might take a while to get accustomed to (or maybe I am learning impaired) esp. if you have a second car. But the engine does stutter at low rpms; you have to downshift to get sounds in order.

* Contrary to most reviews, I felt quite planted on the corners. Maybe it’s just me who does not really mind being thrown around as long as I have my seatbelts on. I could see the saleswoman try to find something to grip as I hit a corner around 90 kmph. But the car handled exactly as I expected and I was very happy and confident.

* After two test drives, my wife and I decided to go in for the top end Diesel 1.6 Manual SX with options. One final look at the car and a strange problem befell us. The top – end options trim has keyless entry and a keyless start. To start the engine and keep it on, the key needs to be in the vicinity, in your pocket for example. Now if you are like me who dislikes things in their trouser/jeans pocket while driving and wears tees quite often (without any pockets), then you would keep the “key” in one of the cubby holes while you are driving. Which is perfect. However, if you are furthermore like me, forgetful and all, and forget the keyfob in the cubby hold and get out of the car and dash out without locking – then you have a problem. The doors will “Autolock” but you will still have keyfob inside. Which means anyone can simply approach your car, open the door, start the engine and drive away. Given that I am really forgetful, I somehow had a bad feeling about this. Plus, the other differences the “Options” offer are 4 additional airbags and artificial leather seating. After exchanging some glances and performing some mental math, we decided to go for the normal SX (with normal keys, 2 airbags instead of 6 and fabric seating). We have in mind to get a Stanley pure leather fitment done post-purchase. We will have to pay about 75K less ex-showroom and about 30K for the leather seats. (net 45K less).

* Could not negotiate any discount from the dealer. Sob Sob. He said that the delivery would take about 4 weeks. Week 1 over and waiting.

* My gut feel is that this will take a couple of weeks to get used to but once I figure out the sweetspots and characteristics of the car, it will serve me well. My two other Hyundai-s have.
sarcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 21:56   #902
BHPian

So I finally got an opportunity to check out the new Verna today. Its a stunner for sure and dark colors do more justice to the creases than the relatively sterile white which the TD car comes with. There's a black one on display at Safdarjung Hyundai and EVERYONE was drooling over it !

The faux wood which looks quite appalling in pictures nicely merges into the interior scheme when seen in the flesh. The steering wheel signals sporty intentions due to its size. No problems at the front seat at all which has decent bolstering and lots of travel.

However this is NOT the car for backseat drivers ! The seat squabs are SMALL, the legroom is cramped for the segment( I usually adjust the front seat for my 6' and then sit at the rear for comparison. Vento has way better legroom) and the coupe like sloping roofline doesnt do wonders for my hairstyle on our rutted roads ! Surprisingly I havent seen much mention of this point on this thread , but it seemed to be the biggest grouse when people TD'ed the Linea (another case of Fiat bashing ?) . Anyone taller than 6' will have their heads hitting the roof every few minutes if the roads are not carpet smooth. And the backseat woes , my friends, will definitely have an impact on sales after a while. This is after all , a 10 lakh car !
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 23:10   #903
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
. We will have to pay about 75K less ex-showroom and about 30K for the leather seats. (net 45K less).
Wise choice. In Karnataka the deal breaker between the SX (O) and SX is the road tax. The Road Tax for the SX (O) is RS. 192,078 (18.87%) and for the SX it is Rs. 147160 (15.54%) as the slab changes when the price cross Rs. 10 lakhs. The on-road price difference of Rs 1.18 lakhs will push you towards the SX as it happened in my case

I loving the experience so far and I believe I have made the right choice.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 23:36   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
and the coupe like sloping roofline doesnt do wonders for my hairstyle on our rutted roads ! Surprisingly I havent seen much mention of this point on this thread , but it seemed to be the biggest grouse when people TD'ed the Linea (another case of Fiat bashing ?) . Anyone taller than 6' will have their heads hitting the roof every few minutes if the roads are not carpet smooth.
The detail/comparison is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2359737

hth.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 04:41   #905
BHPian

One humble request to all proud owners of ANHV
Please post PICS.

This thread of late is not getting good quality pics, Atleast pics of ANHV in various colors would give dreams to prospect buyers with more zeal to decide what suits best for their eyes.

Come on guys, take your phone, digi-cam and click some pics and post....
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 07:19   #906
BHPian

I booked my Silver Verna 1.6 CRDi SX yesterday at Hyundai Motor Plaza in Chennai. I paid an advance of Rs. 50,000 and was adviced a waiting period of 2.5 months. While I was filling in the booking form I mentioned that I will not be buying insurance from the dealer as the amount they had quoted was rather high at Rs. 36,000. The salesman said he wouldn't allow insurance from outside. I argued that they have no option but to allow it as I don't think its fair of them to force me to do insurance with them especially since they are a company owned showroom. He said he will check with the manager and revert.

The manager came by with a smile and said there will be no problem if I did insurance outside. But I was misinformed by the salesperson and now the waiting period has increased to 3.25 months! I don't know if he did it because I refused to buy insurance from him or if it was a genuine case. He claimed there is an unprecedented demand for the car and if I had book a petrol it would be delivered in a week.

I was rather annoyed, but since I'm in no hurry to get my car, I agreed. Should I complain to Hyundai themselves?
Chrome6Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 07:32   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now if you are like me who dislikes things in their trouser/jeans pocket while driving and wears tees quite often (without any pockets), then you would keep the “key” in one of the cubby holes while you are driving. Which is perfect. However, if you are furthermore like me, forgetful and all, and forget the keyfob in the cubby hold and get out of the car and dash out without locking – then you have a problem. The doors will “Autolock” but you will still have keyfob inside. Which means anyone can simply approach your car, open the door, start the engine and drive away. Given that I am really forgetful, I somehow had a bad feeling about this.
Why would it auto lock?? Norally autolock occurs only after engine has just been started and cars moves beyond a particular speed. If the engine is on and you leave the car does it autolock? If the keyfob is inside does it autolock?? I do not think so but please try/check this if possible.

And if they indeed autolock then how will anyone (including you) open the door and drive off??
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 07:58   #908

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why would it auto lock?? Norally autolock occurs only after engine has just been started and cars moves beyond a particular speed. If the engine is on and you leave the car does it autolock? If the keyfob is inside does it autolock?? I do not think so but please try/check this if possible.

And if they indeed autolock then how will anyone (including you) open the door and drive off??
This is my mental model of how it happens (the salesperson could not give definite answers and the TD car was SX, not SX(O))

As you point out, there is the standard speed-threshold lock available (good!) in both SX and SX(O). So, if you start and move the car, after a while it locks the 4 doors.

But the usecase I am talking about is different.
1. You shutoff the engine by pressing the on/off. No key is required.
2. You exit the car without taking the remote keyfob and leave
3. After sometime, sensing no action, the doors autolock
4. Intruder approaches car; presses the notch on the doorhandle which is there to allow regular keyless entry. Since the keyfob is in vicinity of the door handle, the door opens. The car is not smart enough to know where exactly the keyfob is (i.e in the owner/intruder's pocket ? or in a cubbyhole). It just knows that it is within a certain radius
5. Intruder gets inside, presses On/Off switch -- car starts
6. Intruder starts to drive, since keyfob is inside car, he drives away without any issue.

Consider step 3. It does not matter whether the doors autolock or not. The problem remains.

Step 4 has the answer to your specific question.

The good news is: Suppose you do remember to take the keyfob with you and say you have gone to the back of the car to checkout something. An intruder jumps in and starts the car and attempts to drive off. He (or she !) will be successful in starting the car and driving off a little distance but seems the engine needs to have the keyfob within a certain distance to function (not just start), so as soon as the distance between intruder (in the car) and you increases, the engine will stop.

Which raises the question : What would happen if the keyfob battery died on the road ! (I don't know and I did not ask)

Maybe an SX(O) owner can have the final word on this.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:16   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The good news is: Suppose you do remember to take the keyfob with you and say you have gone to the back of the car to checkout something. An intruder jumps in and starts the car and attempts to drive off.
I think this cannot happen as the car won't probably start unless the key fob is 'inside' the car. I remember reading something similar either in the Cruze review or the Micra review.

And obviously, if you leave the key fob in the car, it's certainly easy for anyone to steal your car. But, then again, it's the same for a normal key also.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:35   #910
BHPian

Quote:
This is my mental model of how it happens (the salesperson could not give definite answers and the TD car was SX, not SX(O))

As you point out, there is the standard speed-threshold lock available (good!) in both SX and SX(O). So, if you start and move the car, after a while it locks the 4 doors.

But the usecase I am talking about is different.
1. You shutoff the engine by pressing the on/off. No key is required.
2. You exit the car without taking the remote keyfob and leave
3. After sometime, sensing no action, the doors autolock
4. Intruder approaches car; presses the notch on the doorhandle which is there to allow regular keyless entry. Since the keyfob is in vicinity of the door handle, the door opens. The car is not smart enough to know where exactly the keyfob is (i.e in the owner/intruder's pocket ? or in a cubbyhole). It just knows that it is within a certain radius
5. Intruder gets inside, presses On/Off switch -- car starts
6. Intruder starts to drive, since keyfob is inside car, he drives away without any issue.

Consider step 3. It does not matter whether the doors autolock or not. The problem remains.

Step 4 has the answer to your specific question.

The good news is: Suppose you do remember to take the keyfob with you and say you have gone to the back of the car to checkout something. An intruder jumps in and starts the car and attempts to drive off. He (or she !) will be successful in starting the car and driving off a little distance but seems the engine needs to have the keyfob within a certain distance to function (not just start), so as soon as the distance between intruder (in the car) and you increases, the engine will stop.

Which raises the question : What would happen if the keyfob battery died on the road ! (I don't know and I did not ask)

Maybe an SX(O) owner can have the final word on this.
The doors do not auto-lock, if the key-fob is in the car. Also, if you keep the engine on and walk out of the car with the fob in your pocket, the MID displays "key not in car" and starts beeping maniacally.

The speed sensitive locks 'auto lock' the car at over 15 kmph.

As far as the batteries of the fob dying is concerned, to get inside the car you have the mechanical key. And from what I have heard from Hyundai A.S.S. guys, the batteries last a good 5-7 years. It is also mentioned in the car manual. I was casually going through the manual when I came across this.
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 11:16   #911
Senior - BHPian

I just got to know from my dad,that one of his friend's got a ANHV Crdi
and the Gearbox failed on the third day
lemon-anyone?
last known they were asking for a replacement-dealership owner is a common friend,so replacement might be possible.
akshay4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 11:16   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdev View Post

1. My office is not too far away from my house and hence I don't drive more than 25 kms a day. Max 1000 kms a month including long drives. With that as a base, did some rough calculations and found that it would take me around 4 years to break-even for the extra money I will shell out on Diesel version (Rs. 1.25L ). Since I'm planning to change this car after 4 years and, considering the cost of petrol car maintenance for the first 4 years being cheaper than the diesel version, petrol won this round.
  • Big mistake people do is not consider re-sale value (including myself in the past) of a diesel car when equating overall costs. Lets assume 40% percent depreciation (diesel car will have better resale than petrol car, if everything else remains same), you still get back 75K out of 1.25L at the end of four years.
  • And don't forget you will also need to add the cost of bank loan for the extra 1.25L or in case of own funds you will need to take the opportunity cost of at least investing that 1.25L in fixed deposit.
All the best!
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 11:37   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
The doors do not auto-lock, if the key-fob is in the car. ...
I have heard from Hyundai A.S.S. guys, the batteries last a good 5-7 years.
Yeah the power requirements of these gadgets are quite low. Hey, do you have the ANHV SX(O) ? Then maybe you can definitively put the hypothesis to rest !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
And obviously, if you leave the key fob in the car, it's certainly easy for anyone to steal your car. But, then again, it's the same for a normal key also.
There is a first line of defence: If you leave the normal key in the car and open the door, an alarm chimes until you take the key out.
Well, after that you can put they key on the seat (forgetfully while taking out the groceries) and walk away leaving the key.. God help
Old 12th June 2011, 12:18   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah the power requirements of these gadgets are quite low. Hey, do you have the ANHV SX(O) ? Then maybe you can definitively put the hypothesis to rest !
Yes, I do. You can check my ownership experience at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...crdi-sx-o.html (Bringing home the Fluidic Verna CRDi SX(O))
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 14:54   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I just got to know from my dad,that one of his friend's got a ANHV Crdi
and the Gearbox failed on the third day
lemon-anyone?
last known they were asking for a replacement-dealership owner is a common friend,so replacement might be possible.
This is a shocker, gearbox failure in a new car, that too for a newly launched model. Could you please check with your Dad's friend what were the symptoms, was there any abnormal behavior during gear shifting, noise, hesitation etc?

This puts a serious question mark on the quality tests. How did this faulty gearbox skipped the eyes of quality inspectors baffles me.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote