Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th June 2011, 19:14   #961

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I amazed to see this comment time and again. Reversing is possible by use of the three mirrors. If one learns to reverse using the mirrors then you do not need the camera and external aids. The camera and the sensor is good feature no doubt but to rely on it fully will not be advisable. Trying reversing a Safari and you will learn very fast
I fully agree with you. Camera and Reverse sensors provide you an extra level of comfort and confidence. They also help in reducing the chances of unintentional mistakes that we may make while reversing the car. It did help me twice during my long drive this week. I avoided a pit and a small wooden pole when I reversed the car in night where there was no light around. I didn't notice these through the mirror. Saved a dent to the rear bumper.

I'm thoroughly impressed by the amazing video quality of the camera provided in ANHV. It works like a charm in pitch dark areas too. Thanks to the bright reverse lights.
rajdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 19:39   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which is a better VFM car:
1. Hyundai verna petrol 1.4
or
2. VW vento trendline petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
or ANHC E-MT (with 66k discount now)
Was watching the AutoCar show comparing the ANHV & ANHC. Sharing it here. For people who have questions on the handling of Verna...

Quote:
The AHNC is not an out & out driver's car. But compared to the Verna, it feels like a sports car!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 21:49   #963
Senior - BHPian

Its an irony that we all expected the waiting period of the vento will push some potential customers towards verna, however with now the reported waiting period for the diesel version of verna to be 6 months it is the other way round!!!
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 01:27   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Don't agree with the comment about leg space - I own a Vento, my height is 180 cm and I had done TD with my 6'2" tall friend seated behind me. It was comfortable and no problem with ingress and egress - of course if you are used to a "tall boy" car you would need to get used to and it holds for any sedan you consider - you cannot walk into it.
I have not seen any review as yet which talks about any problems with the leg space and ingress/egress with Vento, in fact thats one of the strong points of the car thats mentioned in reviews. There are quite a few ownership threads on TBHP which you can refer to and many of them are tall owners. The only minor problem is the hump in the rear which is not there in the City but certainly the leg space is not inferior to the City !

Safety features in City is a serious positive .. for the rest I think there are quite a few threads which dwell on strength and weakness of each of the cars.
Hi Souravc, I am surprised that you being almost 6' didn't have issues with the Vento's space. My issues with the ingress/egress were to do with my head. I really had to bend it to get inside the car. I don't have this issue with most cars - tallboy or not. About the rear seat, have already expressed what I experienced.

I wonder if our different experiences could be based on a change made by either VW on the whole in the cabin (presumably was done in the Cruze as I read on this forum). Or possibly the dealer I had gone to had done something to the seats/seat covers to 'enhance' them; though I think that is not too likely.

Since it is off topic here, if there is more to discuss, let us do it in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 03:00   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hi Souravc, I am surprised that you being almost 6' didn't have issues with the Vento's space. My issues with the ingress/egress were to do with my head. I really had to bend it to get inside the car. I don't have this issue with most cars - tallboy or not. About the rear seat, have already expressed what I experienced.

I wonder if our different experiences could be based on a change made by either VW on the whole in the cabin (presumably was done in the Cruze as I read on this forum). Or possibly the dealer I had gone to had done something to the seats/seat covers to 'enhance' them; though I think that is not too likely.

Since it is off topic here, if there is more to discuss, let us do it in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)
If 14 mm of height makes any difference then obviously its an issue ( Cruze 1477mm / Vento 1466mm / City 1480mm / Verna 1475 ) for me all of them are equally good or bad since I was downsizing from 1530 mm height of Swift which allowed me to walk into. Only SX4 with 1560 would have been as good or better but it was never under consideration . Its interesting that you do not have any issue with any other car though you had this issue with Vento, btw your fav Optra stands at 1445mm which is the lowest amongst the ones mentioned above

Your personal experience/opinion on the leg space is very different from our ownership experiences, even GTO's review speaks well of the leg space ,pls refer to the thread below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

Autocar review video , watch from 1:35 onwards for discussion on leg space

Overdrive review Overdrive: The Volkswagen Vento is here - Videos - Auto - IBNLive watch from 1:57 onwards and again 3:50 onwards for feedback about leg space . The presenter is 6ft 3 in !
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 11:03   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Many congratulations, fluidic_fan. Good to hear, 'ANHV' is making you happy. Now, few questions for you mate, as I can see that you have bought 1.6 VTVT, the basic model:

1) Are you missing ECM ?
2) 1.6 basic model does not have Supervision cluster, so do you feel the need for it after clocking 900 kms ?
3) Were you able to get any freebies ?

Please feel free to answer whenever you have the liberty of time and drive safe.
1) I feel comfortable reversing with the three mirrors and parking sensors come handy. Till now haven't found any need of a rear parking camera. So far as ECM is concerned, my model has a manually adjustable Day night mirror which works fine.
2) 1.6 basic model has the driver information module. So all the information like average speed, mileage, instantaneous mileage, distance to empty etc are there. I still don't understand what Supervision Cluster is and the sales rep also didn't have any clue. In 1.6 SX there is a button using which you can vary the intensity of the lights on the speedo console. I think that is the only difference in Supervision cluster.
3) In the name of freebies I got a half kg box of sweets, 10 litre petrol and a framed photograph of my family with the car . Still I was happy because I got my car one week after booking.
fluidic_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 15:46   #967
BHPian

@Fluidic owners,

There is a lot of talk of the goodies in the Verna. Would you guys be good enough to let us know what you do not like in the car. It would give a more balanced view to this car.
  • How bothersome is the under thigh support in the rear seat?
  • How comfortable do the front two seats feel over longer drives?
  • Upto what speed do you feel confident on the highways, given the talk about high speed handling? (I realize different people may have totally different levels of comfort with high speed driving)
-----------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
PS: Thanks for the effort mate. Besides the above, please read 'what' was unhappy with and the possible reasons for it.
Old 18th June 2011, 18:51   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidic_fan View Post
1) I feel comfortable reversing with the three mirrors and parking sensors come handy. Till now haven't found any need of a rear parking camera. So far as ECM is concerned, my model has a manually adjustable Day night mirror which works fine.
2) 1.6 basic model has the driver information module. So all the information like average speed, mileage, instantaneous mileage, distance to empty etc are there. I still don't understand what Supervision Cluster is and the sales rep also didn't have any clue. In 1.6 SX there is a button using which you can vary the intensity of the lights on the speedo console. I think that is the only difference in Supervision cluster.
3) In the name of freebies I got a half kg box of sweets, 10 litre petrol and a framed photograph of my family with the car . Still I was happy because I got my car one week after booking.
Hey fluidic_fan, please share some pics of your carbon grey beauty.
pamishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 21:54   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still don't understand what Supervision Cluster is and the sales rep also didn't have any clue.
Supervision display includes graphics which is more appealing and Standard display is like dot-matrics although both are LCD Based.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 21:56   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
@Fluidic owners,

There is a lot of talk of the goodies in the Verna. Would you guys be good enough to let us know what you do not like in the car. It would give a more balanced view to this car.
[*]How bothersome is the under thigh support in the rear seat?[*]How comfortable do the front two seats feel over longer drives?[*]Upto what speed do you feel confident on the highways, given the talk about high speed handling? (I realize different people may have totally different levels of comfort with high speed driving)-----------------------------------

PS: Thanks for the effort mate. Besides the above, please read 'what' was unhappy with and the possible reasons for it.
With over 6500 Kms on my 1.6.CRDI SX(O) already, I might be in a good position to reply to your queries....

* Since we are not too tall, probably the least bothersome of the 'issues' mentioned is the under thigh sypport of rear seats. Remember, I'm talking for my 5'7 brethren.

* Front seat support is exemplary. Head rests are well positioned and bolstering is supportive. The only minor grudge is slightly firm upperback support. Otherwise very good.

* Upto 120 is confidence inspiring. Beyond that, with 4 or 5 onboard the ride gets bouncy and floaty.

I have done multiple highway trips, with a recent 2000 km drive from surat to pench and back. Hence, the replies.
mathranik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 11:48   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Hey fluidic_fan, please share some pics of your carbon grey beauty.
here you go... Took it using my mobile camera. Will post more pictures shortly. Carbon Grey indeed is a beauty...
Attached Images

fluidic_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 18:03   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
With over 6500 Kms on my 1.6.CRDI SX(O) already, I might be in a good position to reply to your queries....

* Since we are not too tall, probably the least bothersome of the 'issues' mentioned is the under thigh sypport of rear seats. Remember, I'm talking for my 5'7 brethren.

* Front seat support is exemplary. Head rests are well positioned and bolstering is supportive. The only minor grudge is slightly firm upperback support. Otherwise very good.

* Upto 120 is confidence inspiring. Beyond that, with 4 or 5 onboard the ride gets bouncy and floaty.

I have done multiple highway trips, with a recent 2000 km drive from surat to pench and back. Hence, the replies.
Thanks for sharing your experience mate.

Your experience is the one one is aware of. Have ended up following your experience from "digging you out of your 15L soup" thread to your ownership report. Was surprised that you picked up a Hyundai with the reported running on your "what car thread" and am glad that you are having a good experience with it.

How would you compare high speed confidence with the other cars you drive? (I think I remember you mentioning some in your "what car" thread)

Any other New Verna owners out there willing to tell us what they don't find particularly impressive?
Old 19th June 2011, 18:15   #973
BHPian

Quote:
here you go... Took it using my mobile camera. Will post more pictures shortly. Carbon Grey indeed is a beauty...
Wonderful pics. It really looks awesome in Carbon Grey!

Could you please share some details on the petrol version:
1. In some reviews i read that the diesel variant is much better in ride and handling. How has your experience been so far? Till what speed did you feel comfortable, esp on the highways?
2. Is the very light steering a matter of concern?
3. How about the rear seat? Way too low? Is it resonably comfortable?
4. What mileage are you getting from the petrol machine?
pamishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 18:17   #974
BHPian

Hi all,

Has anyone on the forum purchased a diesel automatic ANHV?. I have a few querries as I am planning to buy one.

My first querry is what is the actual FE i.e., city, highway and combined. The ARAI figure is about 19.odd KMPL.

My second querry is how does the gearbox actually feel. Weather the gears change with a jerk or the gear change is smooth enough. How does it behave and feel when used in the manual mode. Weather the autobox being a 4 speed makes a very big difference than not being a 5 or 6 speed.

How the car feels in terms of ride and handling department. Though there are several posts discussing about the same I want to know more elaborately as I am an enthusiastic driver and I am currently driving an i20 crdi. In fact initially I could feel confident driving my i20 at speeds upto 150-160 but these days I dont feel so confident. My car has run 50k plus kms and may be the suspension needs some working.

Anybody even though not an owner of ANHV crdi Auto may also through some light on my querries enabling me to make a decision. I know that there is no better choice if you want to buy a diesel AT at that price point but still want to clarify my doubts.

Thanks in advance.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 18:19   #975
BANNED

Quote:
Hey, You stay in Noida, I saw your car at your apartment complex. It looks really good. Time for an ownership thread i guess.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote