Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th June 2011, 20:20   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I went this sunday to check out both the Verna and the Vento. The hyundai showroom was a sight in itself. I have seriously never seen a showroom with more people in it. The SA said the waiting for Diesel Variant is 7 months!!
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 21:49   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 20,000 bookings are hardly a surprise. In fact, what I'm really surprised with is the interest this car has generated. From my immediate family (who never really discuss cars, unless I bring it up) to friends, I've heard innumerable comments on how good the "fluidic" looks. Everyones talking about the new Verna.
Same here GTO. I get curious onlookers wherever I go. Atleast 5 of my close relatives and friends have booked Verna without any second thoughts after sitting with me in my Verna. For each and every one of them it was 'Love at first sight'.
Same was te case with me and my wifey when we saw the car in flesh on the launch day
fluidic_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 23:00   #1023
BHPian

I step into a Hyundai showroom in Chennai to enquire about Verna and first thing, the SE pointed me to their notice board which states the waiting period for verna. It says 6 weeks for Petrol and 6 months for Diesel verna. I did not know how to respond. I asked him if I can at least check the car, let alone test driving it. He nodded.

I was not happy with the way he pointed me to the notice board and the way he nodded. But still I went ahead and checked the car. Oh boy, it is a looker. I sat on the rear and immediately recalled how folks have been complaining about the poor under thigh support. The front seat is good and loved the features on the offer. I asked for a diesel verna test drive and the SE said it is not available that day. I asked about petrol verna and he nodded. I loved the performance and the ride. The steering is really light. I was surprised as I expected it to be similar to my Wagon R steering, but it was way too light.

Overall I liked the car except for the rear seat and the steering. I told the SE that I am interested in diesel verna and would like to test drive it. He said he will call me once the car is available and I have not received that call yet.
Jammy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 00:20   #1024
BHPian

The wait is torturous, I booked my diesal verna in May and to be honest i doubt the order has been placed yet! and thats Hyundai owned showroom at Mathura road delhi.
dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 00:39   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
The steering is really light. I was surprised as I expected it to be similar to my Wagon R steering, but it was way too light.
Did you mean the steering is lighter than Wagon R? I would not even want to touch this car then. How I hate the Wagon R's steering, Oh God !

Does the steering weigh up when the speed increases?

Edit:: In spite of this heavy sales from Hyundai, I don't see any movement on SX4 D ! Is it because Maruti expects people who can't wait for Verna D will straight away come for SX4 D and no discounts are required? And not for Linea D as well I guess.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th June 2011 at 00:41.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 02:34   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 20,000 bookings are hardly a surprise. In fact, what I'm really surprised with is the interest this car has generated. From my immediate family (who never really discuss cars, unless I bring it up) to friends, I've heard innumerable comments on how good the "fluidic" looks. Everyones talking about the new Verna.
Despite repeated reports of the rear bench not being comfortable in a 10L car (remember the Ikon at 5L was designed to be a chauffeur driven car), it is doing so well!

The time seems ripe for an article/analysis/thread by one of the experts on the forum, on what the Indian car buyer really cares for while making his purchase.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 07:27   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
The wait is torturous, I booked my diesal verna in May and to be honest i doubt the order has been placed yet! and thats Hyundai owned showroom at Mathura road delhi.
I can understand your feelings here, but all I can say is "Be patient". The more you wait, the more you will love it when you ultimately get it.

As GTO has said, it is really about the massive interest that this car has generated amongst the public that startles me. And Hyundai has succeeded big-time in launching the 'Fluidic Sculpture' design language in India. Common people are calling this 'Fluidic Verna' or in some cases, just 'Fluidic'. They just scream "Fluidic looks great". All my efforts in explaining that its just a design language and this car should be called Verna goes in vain.

All said and done, I am loving the way in which Hyundai has moved the brand upwards with each successive model, starting from the i10, then moving up to i20 and now Verna. Time is ripe for Hyundai's dominance in the next segments - Elantra/Avante and Sonata/i45. Are you listening Hyundai?
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 09:19   #1028
BHPian

Looks like Hyundai themselves are surprised at this terrific demand. They estimated 45,000 for the year and so 20,000 bookings must be like a fairy tale ending (or beginning?!)

Hyundai's new verna-cular

Some of my hypotheses for the initial success:

1. Terrific road presence

I think Verna Fluidic is hard to miss on the road - clean lines, straight door, making it look like a luxury car. In fact I feel Vento is already looking aged in the presence of ANHV.

2. Wide engine options including AT on petrol and diesel

3. Value added features

Some of its features like car camera on the RVM (reversing is the biggest bottleneck for me and many others I think while driving and parking) adds tremendous value to an average city car commuter who is less keen on highway ride quality or handling prowess.

4. Known A*S*S* with wide dealer coverage.

All of this at an appropriate price.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 09:59   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you mean the steering is lighter than Wagon R? I would not even want to touch this car then. How I hate the Wagon R's steering, Oh God !

Does the steering weigh up when the speed increases?
Yes, the steering felt lighter than that of my Wagon R. At least, thats what I experienced and is purely my opinion. I recall the steering weighing up with the speed but it was not confidence inspiring. Another guy who test drove the same car was praising the steering and commented that it is a boon for city driving. I think it will take some time for me to get used to this steering.
Jammy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 10:44   #1030
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
Another guy who test drove the same car was praising the steering and commented that it is a boon for city driving.
I've TD-ed the Verna 1.6 CRDi twice. I felt good about the steering both in city alleys and highway conditions. It is not as heavy as my 2004 Santro Xing and not as light as the Toyota Corolla Altis. Felt sufficiently weighted and balanced, but not taxing on long drives.
sarcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 10:58   #1031
BHPian

Yes the steering is very light. It feels pretty much like the i20 steering (and i think it in fact is the same steering wheel from the i20). Its somewhat like what the NHC steering was, but even worse! No feel at all and you have no idea what the wheels are doing. Its like driving a toy car.

I had been for a TD of the Verna Diesel this Sunday at Trident Hyundai, Bellary Road. Entered the showroom and there was noone to greet us or ask us what we wanted. We looked around and the receptionist was busy on the phone and a few SA's were chatting with customers. So my mum, bro and I went and checked out the car. I quite liked the carbon grey shade, and the car itself is quite a looker. The alloy design is nice as well. We decided to check out the rear seat and we were quite disappointed. The rear seat design is extremely poor. The seat is sloped rearwards and the seat squab is quite short. As mentioned there is no under thigh support at all. Three full size adults were a bit of a squeeze as well and the centre seat is raised slightly, not good for the middle passenger. The headroom at the back is also quite poor. My brother's head was close to touching the roof(maybe 2" of gap) and he is only 5'10". I then realised why they had designed the seat sloping rearwards. If they had not then there would have been even less headroom. There was sufficient legroom but the interiors felt a bit claustrophic as well due to the high window line and small rear glass. The feeling is reduced somewhat by the beige interiors but is still there. Interior quality is good and not too many complaints there. Everything feels good and well put together. The front seats are reasonably comfortable but i felt that my swift's seats are better.

By this time still noone had attended to us. We went back to the receptionist and asked for the TD and it was arranged after a slight delay of 5-10 minutes. In the meanwhile we checked out the i10 and all of us liked the rear seat of the i10 a lot better! The TD car was a 1.6 SX. Switched on the engine and it was barely audible, impressive for a diesel. Adjusted the mirrors and checked out the auto folding feature, quite useful. Tried syncing the bluetooth with my Galaxy S, did not work. Tried my older Sony Ericsson as well, again did not work. So tried the radio instead. The audio system was decent enough, sounded ok to my ears. Set the climate control to 16 degrees and felt it was doing an adequate job, but was not a chiller. Slotted into first and the car moved forward easily. I didnt find the lag as much of a problem as has been mentioned. It feels better than the old Verna 1.5. Was able to negotiate humps in 2nd gear with not too much fuss. The engine emits just a slight growl as you accelerate. The steering as mentioned is lifeless and provides no feedback at all. And the suspension felt too soft, my brother seated at the back said that it pitched too much even in the short city ride we took. Theres ample power and i felt torque steer later on. There was an empty stretch of road and i floored it! The steering veered sideways and i had to hastily correct it back towards centre. Pulled cleanly all the way to the redline. Overall the engine and six speed gearbox combo are quite good. Went back to the showroom and tried to reverse the car back into its slot. The parking display appeared in the mirror after engaging reverse gear. Was somewhat useful but since i am used to reversing by turning my head it still took me a little while to adjust to reversing with the mirror.

OTR Price of the 1.6 base is 10.65l and 1.6 SX is 11.38l in Bangalore. Felt it was a bit pricey. Waiting period of 5 months was quoted for any 1.6 diesel variant (6 weeks for the 1.4). Overall i felt that the car itself was fairly good. Soft suspension aside, the major deal breaker for me was the rear seat.

Last edited by radiokidb : 29th June 2011 at 11:01.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 11:53   #1032
BHPian

Verna now seems to be going the Swift and Dezire way. 8 Months waiting for Diesel variant !! Just goes on the show where the market is heading.

Hyundai, if you are reading this, Pls Pls Pls get the i10 in Diesel variant
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 16:18   #1033
BHPian

Took a short drive in my colleague's new Verna - 1.6 Petrol.
- Amazed by the list of features.
- Didn't much like overdose of beige inside
- Absolutely silent engine while idling. Could notice that the engine is running only by the tacho.
- Driveability: At 20kmph, shifted to 4th gear and took both my feet off the pedals. The car kept on running without any jerk or vibrations forever.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:36   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Some of its features like car camera on the RVM (reversing is the biggest bottleneck for me and many others I think while driving and parking) adds tremendous value to an average city car commuter who is less keen on highway ride quality or handling prowess.Cheers,
+1 Reversing the car in the narrow city lanes or just from your apartment parking to the road is a herculean task & how easy it has been made by the dual combo of the reverse parking sensors & the reverse camera. This is no more a luxury, but a must have feature for all the C segment cars & above. Hyundai has rightly targeted the city dwellers (with the long list of features) who care little @ the highway manners of a car.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:45   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Took a short drive in my colleague's new Verna - 1.6 Petrol. .
- Driveability: At 20kmph, shifted to 4th gear and took both my feet off the pedals. The car kept on running without any jerk or vibrations forever.
I tried it out on my father's ANHC a few days ago and it did this drivability trick too and Hurray the ANHC did it too!

But I'm not sure if trying that on your friend's new car was a good idea! I would have liked to see your colleague's reaction when you did this
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote