Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 18th July 2011, 20:49   #1111
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
You are wrong buddy. The 6 speed gear box is just awesome. The car is perfectly geared for the city traffic and 3rd cog is as good if not better for the city driving conditions. On the highway on the 6th Gear @ 2000 rpm it hits a speed of 105-110 kmph At 1500 RPM she clocks 80-85 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The 6th gear in the transmission enabling the car to cruise at 100kmph with the rpm needle hovering around the 2K mark is the greatest USP of this car. I seriously doubt if any other car in this segment has the 6th cog. On long highway drives the Fluidic would definitely be on diet. I wonder what FE it would give if you drive @ 1500 RPM, 6th gear, 80-85 kmph. KPS please share with us the FE figures, I am very eager to know these.
Just to compare this with the Vento TDI, I am able to get 80-85kmph in the 5th gear at 1800rpm. And 100-110kmph at 2200rpm. Pretty close. Also, I recently did a Bangalore Mumbai 990 km run at mostly 100kmph/2200rpm (due to the run-in period). That gave me a trip mileage of 20.2kmpl.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 21:56   #1112
BHPian

20.2 kmpl with German reliability is indeed awesome! Its a looker too! If there's one car whose looks I love more than my Verna, its the Vento.

What's the in-city average?
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 22:52   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
20.2 kmpl with German reliability is indeed awesome! Its a looker too! If there's one car whose looks I love more than my Verna, its the Vento.

What's the in-city average?
Thanks! My office being close, the commute distance is only 4km. With that, I get a mileage of around 14kmpl. Have yet to travel longer distances in the city to get a better idea.
Old 18th July 2011, 23:06   #1114
BHPian

14 sounds good. To be honest I'm new to the whole Diesel economy scenario. So all of these numbers are sweet to my ears!

My Lancer petrol gives me 10 kmpl with A/C. Thats ~Rs.7 per km!
My Zma gives me 30 kmpl. Thats ~Rs.2.5 per Km.
My Verna gives me a min of 14 in City drives with A/C. Thats ~Rs.3!!

As expected, the lancer is usually sitting pretty in my garage and the Zma is only for short scoots to the nearby supermarket, barber etc.. The Verna has taken over my transportation dept completely!
Old 19th July 2011, 01:31   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
I did a kerala - blore run last weekend and the mileage was 20.3kmpl. I did not attempt driving for economy and drove the way I usually would. Top speed touched was 150kmph for maybe a minute. Average speed was 120kmph.
Wow!! That is shockingly good! What is the normal cold tyre pressure one is supposed to maintain in the Verna and what is the pressure you kept? Was the car loaded?

Quote:
I've scraped the bottom thrice on speed humps that my lancer (which is notorious for low GC) clears easily;
Does this happen with a lot of weight in the car or otherwise too?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 06:39   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem
14 sounds good. To be honest I'm new to the whole Diesel economy scenario. So all of these numbers are sweet to my ears!
I too am new to diesel cars! But I hear from others I should be getting better mileage in the city too. Yet to get used to such good mileage figures! even 14 is awesome for me.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:45   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I too am new to diesel cars! But I hear from others I should be getting better mileage in the city too. Yet to get used to such good mileage figures! even 14 is awesome for me.
The mileage on Vento Tdi is staggeringly good. This is what we have seen -
For normal use (70 city and 30% Highway: Highway once a week), the mileage is 17.xx to 18.xx.
For a 100% highway trip: ex Chd -Delhi roundtrip -> 21.xx

Not only is this much higher than our other cars (i.e Swift/Baleno), it is also markedly higher than the Tata Indica diesel we used to have before 2007!
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 09:52   #1118
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

With due respect to you, we are diverting far away from the main topic of this thread. I would be test driving the Verna sometime this month. I hope the car lives up to its expectations.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 10:26   #1119
BHPian

Sad to hear about the incident mate. Hope you and your friends recover soon and fully.

ABS, EBD etc. would be amongst many factors which would affect a car remaining controlled. It is an important issue and sharing the incident may help others being safe. May be a good idea to move this discussion to another Safety/ABS related thread (or probably start a new one with your friends' incident), as a detailed discussion on this may be a bit OT here, even though it does relate to the car's features. If you do, please share the link.

You are right. I mean what's the point if ABS is effective only at straight line braking. It only made things worse for us, when we swerved. But I saw the air bags at work. These things are a beauty and cocooned the two in front beautifully (barely a scratch). The brand new car is a complete write-off. Another thing, emergency services were at our aid in roughly 5 mins (I'm not exaggerating, and this is on the highway here between Abu Dhabi- Dubai) and we were in hospital in 15. It was wonderful to see things work like clock work.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 12:30   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did a kerala - blore run last weekend and the mileage was 20.3kmpl. I did not attempt driving for economy and drove the way I usually would. Top speed touched was 150kmph for maybe a minute. Average speed was 120kmph.
Very good mileage for a not-so-mileage-oriented run I would say. Anything above 20 kmpl is welcome on highways at higher [100+] speeds.

Quote:
I've scraped the bottom thrice on speed humps that my lancer (which is notorious for low GC) clears easily;
Verna forte I believe ! Sadly, all Verna owners will have to live with this. Was the car loaded that time? How many passengers?

Quote:
The headlights are woefully inadequate. I installed Nightbreakers, but they aren't a fraction of their phenomenal claims
This is surprising. Is there a problem with alignment or so? I used NBs for a year+ and was extremely pleased with that. I had a tough time when I switched back to stock bulbs after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There was a piece of tyre on the road, we swerved to avoid it but our ABS enabled car totally lost control and was all over the highway at 120+ KMPH.
More than ABS, ESP would have taken care of you here ! Sadly not many cars this side of 15L offers this.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th July 2011 at 12:38.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:58   #1121
BHPian

Quote:

My Lancer petrol gives me 10 kmpl with A/C. Thats ~Rs.7 per km!
My Zma gives me 30 kmpl. Thats ~Rs.2.5 per Km.
My Verna gives me a min of 14 in City drives with A/C. Thats ~Rs.3!!

As expected, the lancer is usually sitting pretty in my garage and the Zma is only for short scoots to the nearby supermarket, barber etc.. The Verna has taken over my transportation dept completely!
Average speed of 120 km/h??? Were you flying??
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 15:14   #1122
BHPian

Lol! I don't mean accurate average I mean't the speed I travelled at more often than not or whenever I could. Especially around and after the Salem area.

@Poitive:

The manual says 32 psi. I had 31 with 4 people and a loaded to the brim boot. When I say loaded, I mean you cant even squeeze a bottle of coke in. The ride wasn't bad at all. I kept asking my parents in the back if they're confortable and had no complaints. Personally I feel 32 is a bit too much mileage oriented. I may be wrong.

@swiftnfurious:

4 passengers and a fully loaded boot. About the NB, the problem is when there is oncoming traffic. I know I can't expect to see everything, but I dont want to be completely blinded either. I just need the lights to be bright enough to be able to barely make out obstacles when oncoming traffic is on high beam..

@nileshch:

I dont think I'll ever be able to go back to petrol if diesel is this economical without compromising on performance!

@mods:

Sorry I'm putting up a new post. I just couldn't figure out a way to quote on the edit screen. If you could please merge my replies, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by Eddy : 19th July 2011 at 17:07. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:59   #1123
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2011 at 15:00.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2011, 19:56   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@swiftnfurious:

4 passengers and a fully loaded boot. About the NB, the problem is when there is oncoming traffic. I know I can't expect to see everything, but I dont want to be completely blinded either. I just need the lights to be bright enough to be able to barely make out obstacles when oncoming traffic is on high beam..
You managed a 20kmpl+ with such a loaded car !! Kudos to this engine which I am sure can manage much better figures when its less loaded.

And to be frank on the lighting part, I guess it could be more to do with the low seating position of the car. I used to travel from Bangy to Kerala and I know how difficult it is to manage not-to-go blind because of the high beams from others.

But then you might wanna look at aux lamps from Hella for better coverage and splash a 5K on it.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 20:15   #1125
BHPian

I guess the engine can do better. I did a cochin-kollam drive with my wife and no luggage at night and the MID showed 22.3kmpl. I was mostly in the 80 kmph range. I didn't mention it because I thought it was an anomaly since I topped up the tank mid-way. I still think it was an anomaly

Also I was more concerned about the lighting than the mileage during that drive. Unfortunately adding aux lamps is a no no as it would be blasphemous to ruin that beautiful front. I love the Hella Micro DE series though..

I guess HIDs for the fogs may help. I'm not too keen on using HID for the HL assembly for fear of blinding oncoming traffic. Haven't quite seen the beam pattern with an HID on a similar reflector, so I can't decide. If anyone can post pics it'd be great! Also, I'm not able to find an HID with a color slightly warmer than 6000k. I have HID on my lancer but the beam is aimed low so that I don't blind anyone.

But I'm sure most Verna owners would find the lights insufficient if they have a lot of night driving. Its got more to do with the fact that a lot of people have 100/90 on high beam all the time than the car's lights itself!

Last edited by Tassem : 19th July 2011 at 20:17.