Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd August 2011, 12:46   #1141
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
First of all, congrats on booking the all-new Hyundai Verna. Be ready to be swept over by the fluidic sculpture.

On your choice of variant, I would suggest you to go for the SX by shelling out the 70K extra money. The prime reasons are the Verna's coupe-like styling absolutely needs a parking sensor. Even if you go for the VGT variant, you will be spending money on aftermarket sensor and/or internal LCD display. Th next is the electric foldable ORVM, which I think would prove useful in Bangalore traffic in the longer run. You already get nice jazzy looking alloys, so you need not spend extra in that.

But, if you are keen on enhancing the stunning looks of the Verna even further, then yes, go in for the VGT variant, get some nice aftermarket alloys and fit in a parking sensor.
The 1.6 variant does have a parking sensor, the kind that beeps. You dont get the rear view camera, but the parking sensor is there. You decide if the folding ORVMs are worth 50k (assuming you get alloys for 20k).
wolfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:21   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

But, if you are keen on enhancing the stunning looks of the Verna even further, then yes, go in for the VGT variant, get some nice aftermarket alloys and fit in a parking sensor.
Thanks arvi86, yes I am too excited about the upgrade except for the looong wait.

No I don't want to enhance the already dashing Verna with anything more, I was purely looking at the VFM part?

Going by your thoughts even I am getting more convinced that SX is the way to go, especially about the 'coupe' styling making the reverse sensors almost mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If it were me, I would go for the SX variant and keep the car as much as stock without the worry of a void warranty. I guess SX comes with almost every feature that one need and if you like the alloy wheels with SX, I don't find a problem in spending that 70K extra.

The only thing I might want to change is the ICE since I love music as well, a lot.
@swiftnfurious: Your words is building up my conviction . It seems the VFM is good then? But I did not get the 'worry of a void warranty'. do you mean to say that if we use after markets accessories the default and extended warranty would be lost?

No I am not an audiophile so no upgrades in that department.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd August 2011 at 13:38. Reason: See note in the post.
cogweelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:55   #1143
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
The price difference between the 1.6VGT and 1.6VGT SX OTR is around 80-70K.

Advice.
I own a SX and believe that every rupee extra is worth it for this upgrade. I do notice that you will travel quite a bit and I am sure that you will recover this extra money by the amount of time you spend on the road enjoying these features.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:37   #1144
BHPian

Hyundai not so sure about its diesel engines?

Got an advertisement supplement for new verna alongwith june ACI.
Hyundai seems to be pushing the petrol engines and discouraging the diesels.Here is what it says:

'Go for diesel only if you run more than 100kms a day.'

In the same booklet,later on:

'Most people go in for diesels thinking its more economical,but the difference in initial cost is offset only if you travel more than 100 kms a day.'

In todays oil prices even 50km a day seem to tilt the balance in favour of diesels.Makes me wonder if hyundai is afraid the diesels might not be as good as the petrols.So should we expect a repeat of the accent crdi engine problems post 70000kms?
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 15:24   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
In todays oil prices even 50km a day seem to tilt the balance in favour of diesels.Makes me wonder if hyundai is afraid the diesels might not be as good as the petrols.So should we expect a repeat of the accent crdi engine problems post 70000kms?
Quite possible.
However, what is likely is that they have more demand for diesel than they can handle (the waiting is longer) and not as much for petrol. So they may just be trying to move the customer from diesel to petrol. But in the process they may also be taking ample risk, as then the customer can make a move to ANHC.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:04   #1146
BHPian

Its no rocket science for us to understand why Hyundai is pushing petrol.
I dont think any sane person will opt for a petrol after seeing the specs of Diesel VERNA.
More power, more energy, Lesser running cost, longer miles (+) Diesel
More maintenance cost, higher cost price (-) Diesel
ONLY lesser cost price (+) petrol
Expensive running cost (-) petrol
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:56   #1147
BHPian

It's clear why Hyundai is doing this. They're simply unable to cope up with the large number of bookings for the 1.6 diesel mill. This is especially true with the Auto. My uncle booked his Diesel Auto two weeks before I did. I got my car (1.6) within three weeks on Jun 18, while he received his car on the 2nd of this month. Several escalations were made and he finally got the answer that diesel mills are procured as per bookings and hence the delay.

Also, I don't think they've sold a sizable number of 1.4 mills in Petrol or Diesel.

Every single Verna I've seen on the road are 1.6 diesel in its various trims.

However this could end up with Hyundai shooting itself in the leg by giving rise to doubt whether there is something wrong with the diesel mill and hence scaring customers away to Honda/VW.

Remains to be seen.

Quote:
Long story short I reverted my i20 booking with MGF Kochi and booked my Verna 1.6 SX. But the billion dollar question i have is keeping the following usage plans for my car should I go for 1.6 VGT(its SX minus 16" Alloys,Electric foldable ORVM, auto dim IRVM, supervision cluster MID and reverse camera on IRVM)
Congrats on your decision. You wont regret it. About the SX dilemma. Ask yourself if the extra 70-80k is worth the Alloys, SuperVision Cluster, Rear view camera, Electrically foldable OSRVM, Cooled Glove Box, Luggage Net and Adjustable Rear Headrest. To me it didn't make much sense since I wasn't in love with the stock alloys and the rest didn't matter to me. Those electrically foldable mirrors while convenient, is not meant for Indian roads and driving styles. They can make a huge dent in your pocket if you have to replace it. Which is kinda inevitable with the traffic in bangalore. I know someone who nearly had a heart attack when he heard how much it costs for his CRV.

However, if the extra 70-80k would've fetched me the extra 5 airbags, I would've taken it.

So to make matters worse. If you're thinking of the SX, look at the SX(o) cause safety is well worth it. Else just get the base 1.6 and go home a happy man. Buy yourself a nice set of alloys and smile at the extra money in the account.

Last edited by Tassem : 4th August 2011 at 17:06.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 17:20   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Quite possible.
However, what is likely is that they have more demand for diesel than they can handle (the waiting is longer) and not as much for petrol. So they may just be trying to move the customer from diesel to petrol. But in the process they may also be taking ample risk, as then the customer can make a move to ANHC.
Exactly my thought.The recent reduction in the price of city makes life uncomfortable for so many players.The resale plus image makes city an irresistable chaice.now only if it came with a diesel.hmmm.
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 18:04   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Congrats on your decision. You wont regret it. About the SX dilemma. Ask yourself if the extra 70-80k is worth the Alloys, SuperVision Cluster, Rear view camera, Electrically foldable OSRVM, Cooled Glove Box, Luggage Net and Adjustable Rear Headrest. To me it didn't make much sense since I wasn't in love with the stock alloys and the rest didn't matter to me. Those electrically foldable mirrors while convenient, is not meant for Indian roads and driving styles. They can make a huge dent in your pocket if you have to replace it. Which is kinda inevitable with the traffic in bangalore. I know someone who nearly had a heart attack when he heard how much it costs for his CRV.

However, if the extra 70-80k would've fetched me the extra 5 airbags, I would've taken it.

So to make matters worse. If you're thinking of the SX, look at the SX(o) cause safety is well worth it. Else just get the base 1.6 and go home a happy man. Buy yourself a nice set of alloys and smile at the extra money in the account.
Thanks Tassem for the great reply. As likes are subjective, I liked the OEM alloy and felt the reverse sensor is mandatory as my parking space is bit risky and needs a 'rear eye'. My Civic already have the electronic OSRVM so I believe I can live with them (touch wood). But again it is ruling the puny traffic of Kochi.

As you said about the Bangalore traffic moreover I am being new to it makes me re-think .

To give a trivia on my driving style, I am really a sedate driver in city unlike my highway extravagance. will that help me from keeping my electric 'ears' safe?
cogweelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 18:41   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
To give a trivia on my driving style, I am really a sedate driver in city unlike my highway extravagance. will that help me from keeping my electric 'ears' safe?
In case you're wondering why I thanked you, I hit the 'thanks' button instead of the 'quote' button. lol..

If you've been able to keep the mirrors scratch free on the civic, then you shouldn't have problems here as well. My mantra is to always avoid things that wont really affect the drive or safety. Especially if they're morbidly expensive.

I'm guessing you've already decided on the SX part, though you don't know it yet Listen to your heart. Enjoy the drive mate.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:57   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
I'm guessing you've already decided on the SX part, though you don't know it yet Listen to your heart. Enjoy the drive mate.

Thanks for the unknowing 'Thanks'

And I really should appreciate your mind reading skills .

Hey guys,

There was a call today morning from my MGF Kochi guy telling my i20 has arrived and inquired if I am still sticking to my 'fluidic' change, for which my answer was an emphatic yes.

But the elephant of a question is how come the so called 'my i20' just arrive from thin air which was nowhere in the cards till August 25th (initially it was Sep 10th, on continuous request he upgraded the date) even at the time of booking my Verna a few days back.

So Hyundai, you don't want people to buy your diesel mills just because you are not able to ramp up the production line and put some extended shifts?

To be frank guys there is something fishy about this 'waiting'. I still remember a quarter page ad of Hyundai on all leading dailies about their Chennai plant ramp up for meeting customer demands on ANHV.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:06   #1152
BHPian

To be honest, If I were Hyundai and I had messed up big time with the Verna Transform, I'd set conservative sales numbers for the new Verna. Perhaps even wait to see if the demand is good.

When then demand comes and smacks me right in the face, I'd wake up and think, OMG! OMG! What do I do now! Let's figure out a way to control these bookings till I have something to deliver. I guess that's whats happening now. I may be wrong. I usually am. But that doesn't stop me from guessing.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll blow through in a couple of months once this frenzy dies out.

The i20 bit is neat though. What is the waiting period quoted by the dealer for the Verna? I bought my car from MGF Cochin. One of the first few they sold I guess.
Old 5th August 2011, 01:17   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I did not get the 'worry of a void warranty'. do you mean to say that if we use after markets accessories the default and extended warranty would be lost?
When you have a problem, the dealers will make maximum fuss not to honour your warranty and make you pay for the damage. With these additional fittings, they can make better points. I basically believe in "fully loaded" machines than going for a cheaper variant and then adding stuffs; sure it will leave more money in the bank, but I prefer a factory / dealer work than a road side guy. Talk about perfection !

Quote:
So Hyundai, you don't want people to buy your diesel mills just because you are not able to ramp up the production line and put some extended shifts?

I still remember a quarter page ad of Hyundai on all leading dailies about their Chennai plant ramp up for meeting customer demands on ANHV.
Was this ad just before the launch of new Fiesta? If so, that was the marketing gimmick. Not sure whether they have taken this seriously since the competitors are not very strong enough in taking a bite at Verna's sales. These guys know customers will be willing to wait for 6 months or more for this car.

Quote:
When then demand comes and smacks me right in the face, I'd wake up and think, OMG! OMG! What do I do now! Let's figure out a way to control these bookings till I have something to deliver. I guess that's whats happening now. I may be wrong. I usually am. But that doesn't stop me from guessing.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll blow through in a couple of months once this frenzy dies out.
Hyundai will not have to fear atleast for the next 6 months seeing the competition. Unless some one comes up with a good discount or special editions which can eat some of the sales of Verna, these guys will rule. C'mon Fiat, MS & Ford, do something about this and take 500 cars each from Verna's sales

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th August 2011 at 01:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 11:30   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
When you have a problem, the dealers will make maximum fuss not to honour your warranty and make you pay for the damage. With these additional fittings, they can make better points. I basically believe in "fully loaded" machines than going for a cheaper variant and then adding stuffs; sure it will leave more money in the bank, but I prefer a factory / dealer work than a road side guy. Talk about perfection !
@swiftnfurious : Thanks for the info on darker side of a dealers smile when he says 'Warranty covers everything' just like Fords statement 'You can have any color as long as its black'.

Quote:

The i20 bit is neat though. What is the waiting period quoted by the dealer for the Verna? I bought my car from MGF Cochin. One of the first few they sold I guess.

The answer is in stages of:

TD request: Cannot give much idea, unless you book sir.

Pre-Booking(before you take the cheque book): Maximum 3-3.5 months

Post-Booking : You will have it delivery on December, but then I said no(resounding one for that..) I dont need it on December give it to me in Jan '12

I plan to pester him from next month asking for a early delivery.Hope it works
Old 5th August 2011, 11:40   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
folks,

The price difference between the 1.6VGT and 1.6VGT SX OTR is around 80-70K.

So do I need to shell out this much rather save them to get some after market 15" alloys.

Advice.
Hello cogweelz,
I myself had the situation that you are currently in. Whether to go for the basic 1.6 CRDI or 1.6 SX CRDI. After a lot of thinking I went for SX variant, not because of features like alloys, folding mirrors and so on, but for the extra passengers side airbag which is an important safety feature for the passenger sitting next to you. I suggest you go for SX. Just my 2 cents.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote