Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 19th August 2011, 18:11   #1186
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
You are quite right. I will also hesitate in doing that. But, if i am assured of a better ride and a sustainable solution i might go for it.Because currently its always playing on my mind and i feel afraid to push the car. I feel, what is the point of a car like this if you cant drive it to its fullest and always have a fear of crashing it whenever you go through a pothole
I have the earlier generation Verna and had the same feeling for some time. I got my tire pressure right (accurate from a newly started pump but they also lost their guage caliberation after some time ) after one year when things got better. Things got really better when I changed to Bridgestone Potenza G3s which absorb potholes well without unsettling the car and I could drive much faster on bad roads or no need to slow down when I see bad patches as earlier with OEM tyres.

The key is to get the correct tyre pressure as Verna's suspension is sensitive to this. Ride quality would surely improve if you can trade in for a good set of tyres, fill nitrogen ( it did in my case) at the correct pressure. I fill 30psi, not sure how much is for Fluidic Verna.

Last edited by Prass : 19th August 2011 at 18:15.
Prass is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 19:28   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Try fixing the competitors problems for 50 grand and you'll know what I'm talking about.
+1 I guess that's one of the reasons why Hyundai is still raking in bookings for the Verna. I still think its one of the best VFM Diesel Sedans in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm simply not comfortable with the idea of spending 50k on a brand new car to fix its suspension.
Well, I agree partly. First of all, there is nothing to fix. Hyundai has designed the suspension to cater to the mass market which it does brilliantly. The same goes for Vento, Linea etc. How many owners actually utilize the suspension to its fullest or push the car to its limits? Companies can provide stiff suspensions as stock if the market was agreeable. But a large percentage will complain that they wish the ride was softer or more comfortable in the city.

As for upgrading parts, there are several cars that are under tyred or under powered. The small percentage of us who care, will upgrade. Rest don't care.

Quote:
If i am assured of a better ride and a sustainable solution i might go for it.
If you change the suspension and get better tyres, you're good to go. But do a cost analysis first. How often do you push the car to its limits? Or how often can you. Is it worth the money spent? Are you absolutely sure you need it? If the answer is yes, then go for it! You will love it!

Quote:
One more question. Can Hyundai help their Verna customers out and provide a solution? Is this done before by any other manufacturer?
I don't think they will. For the simple reason that its marketed as a family sedan that is economical to run and has a lot of bells and whistles. If they had pegged it as a performance oriented vehicle, then we have a case. I think we need to blame the government more for the pathetic state of our roads!
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 19:31   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question. Can Hyundai help their Verna customers out and provide a solution? Is this done before by any other manufacturer?
This is a setup of the car so from the manufacturers's perspective its not a problem and rightly so . I don't think the kind of solution that GTO has mentioned would be provided by Hyundai ( or any other company for that matter , Honda never did for the City)

You can try out the Prass suggested solution , it should lead to marked improvement - we so much underestimate the impact of tyres on the quality of ride . I am not sure what the ANHV OEM tyres are but if the ride quality is bugging you so much then it makes sense to change the tyres to much better ones , they should enhance your experience. Maybe wider and larger profile tyres would assist your ride and it would come at a small compromise of reading accuracy
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 20:15   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Second, for 50,000 rupees or less, with high quality after-market parts, you can make the Verna behave better than the likes of the City & Vento on the highway. Try fixing the competitors problems for 50 grand and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Really? I think there is a lot more to handling than just tyres and suspension. But considering it is the soft suspension of Verna that is at fault, it can be possible to improve the handling just by going for a suspension change. But better than a Vento? Isnt that too much to ask?

BTW if it is really possible I would like to get it done For my Beat. Any suggestions!
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 20:44   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
BTW if it is really possible I would like to get it done For my Beat. Any suggestions!
I thought the beat had go-kart like handling to start off with! I had a friend's car for a week and felt it was really good to drive. I could literally chuck her around and know that things would be ok. Why would you want to upgrade?

Or is it highway driving you're referring to? The only hatch I've taken on a long drive was an A-Star and I loved it too! And believe me the car was pushed to its limits. We did a Bangalore-Wayanad drive in under 3.5 hours mid day! Pure Go kart that car was!

P.S: Maybe I'm too much of a car lover to notice their shortcomings, I don't know..
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 21:37   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I thought the beat had go-kart like handling to start off with! I had a friend's car for a week and felt it was really good to drive. I could literally chuck her around and know that things would be ok. Why would you want to upgrade?
Having owned a Zen and Palio my handling expectations are quite high. I would love to discuss suspension change for Beat (might consider after a year or 2) but that would take this.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 23:22   #1192
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I spoke to the Manager of KUN service station in Chennai and discussed with him the problem with high speed stability of ANHV. He surprised me by saying that no one had mentioned anything about it. I have requested him for a long joint test drive, hopefully on the ECR with long swinging curves. As I drive a Fusion, I'm sure to sense the difference in handling.

I'm tearing my head to decide on a 12 Lakh Rs. sedan
MAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 03:15   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys, I spoke to the Manager of KUN service station in Chennai and discussed with him the problem with high speed stability of ANHV. He surprised me by saying that no one had mentioned anything about it. I have requested him for a long joint test drive, hopefully on the ECR with long swinging curves. As I drive a Fusion, I'm sure to sense the difference in handling.

MAS,

Try checking the following in the TD:
1) Ride over bad/broken roads at moderate speeds.
2) Ride over bad/broken roads at higher speeds
3) How composed it feels at higher speed in general
4) How composed it feels at higher speeds on gradually curving roads/turns.
5) How it feels with a slight touch on the brakes when the car is in a curve. Be sure not to overdo this as it can be VERY dangerous (I guess you'd already be aware, but it it was for others who may read this)

Also repeat the above with you in the rear seat. The experience in this car is very different between the front and rear.

The smoothness of the diesel engine should blow away anyone. Was amazing. As you may be aware, it also gets a lot better after a diesel motor has run for a few minutes and has warmed up to reach adequate operating temperature. One should bear this in mind, while checking out other cars as well.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:04   #1194
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter vein, how do you expect them to honestly accept this to you

When you take the TD, do make sure that take it to rough and broken roads too to test the suspension behaviour. There are some detour's in ECR which will help you experience this. And do post your experience post the TD here for the benefit of others.

OT - You have 12L budget - Why not a Vento or Cruze?

Quote:

bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:23   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
You can try out the Prass suggested solution , it should lead to marked improvement - we so much underestimate the impact of tyres on the quality of ride . I am not sure what the ANHV OEM tyres are but if the ride quality is bugging you so much then it makes sense to change the tyres to much better ones , they should enhance your experience. Maybe wider and larger profile tyres would assist your ride and it would come at a small compromise of reading accuracy
So true! Tyres make such a big difference to the ride and handling of a car.

Wider tyres can go a long way. However they may affect more than just reading accuracy. It often makes the car feel a bit heavier, the steering a bit harder (should not be an issue with the light steering of the Fluidic), reduced FE. On the plus side, it can make the car feel more composed, change the ride and handling significantly, allow for tighter turns etc.

Edit:
Quote:
Maybe because the Magnum is a better car overall

Last edited by Poitive : 20th August 2011 at 16:24.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:35   #1196
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
MAS,

Try checking the following in the TD:
1) Ride over bad/broken roads at moderate speeds.
2) Ride over bad/broken roads at higher speeds
3) How composed it feels at higher speed in general
4) How composed it feels at higher speeds on gradually curving roads/turns.
5) How it feels with a slight touch on the brakes when the car is in a curve. Be sure not to overdo this as it can be VERY dangerous (I guess you'd already be aware, but it it was for others who may read this)

Also repeat the above with you in the rear seat. The experience in this car is very different between the front and rear.

The smoothness of the diesel engine should blow away anyone. Was amazing. As you may be aware, it also gets a lot better after a diesel motor has run for a few minutes and has warmed up to reach adequate operating temperature. One should bear this in mind, while checking out other cars as well.
Good points for a test drive. I would use them to test drive all the cars i have in mind New Fiesta/Magnum/Fluidic Verna/Vento.

I was discussing this topic with a good friend of mine who owned both the Accent CRDi and the First Gen Verna SX. He was of the opinion that Hyundai Diesels lose their "crispiness" in about 30 K kms. They tend to become more sluggish with increase in vibrations and noise. I need to check this out with the Service Manager in KUN. I will try and lay my hands on a brand new Fluidic Verna and another car which has logged few thousand Kilometers and see if i can find any difference.

I drive a Diesel Fusion and i am very comfortable with its handling and road dynamics. Incidentally, i just got back my Fusion after a change in radiator fan and oil sump + 1,20,000 kms service. The engine is as crisp as it was when i first drove it out of the showroom 4 years back.

I have enjoyed reading your threads as it was exactly my dilemma. I had almost chosen the 2.0 Magnum LT, but sadly, i might have to let it go. I will PM you the reason.

Quote:
On a lighter vein, how do you expect them to honestly accept this to you

When you take the TD, do make sure that take it to rough and broken roads too to test the suspension behaviour. There are some detour's in ECR which will help you experience this. And do post your experience post the TD here for the benefit of others.

I forgot to mention, the KUN Service Manager is a very good friend of mine and we know each other as kids (Chaddi wale dost) and he is pretty open about things with me. Will take the TD sometime next week and update.

12L OTR is a self made restriction and hence Cruze LT is ruled out. Vento is a good car, but somehow my heart does not beat for a VW. Will be checking out this car as part of routine. Again, will keep you posted.
MAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 18:46   #1197
BHPian

Quote:

I was discussing this topic with a good friend of mine who owned both the Accent CRDi and the First Gen Verna SX. He was of the opinion that Hyundai Diesels lose their "crispiness" in about 30 K kms.
@MAS - I think I will disagree on this point. I drive an Accent CRDi. It is close to 70k kms. It still returns 16 kmpl within the city and around 20kmpl on highways. And I gun it much more these days.

It all depends on how you maintain it and take care of it. I have seen CRDi's that have completed 1.8 lak kms (without engine overhaul). Exceptions are a rule but all I am saying is that crispiness depends on the maintenance

Hope this doesn't dissuade you from looking at a Hyundai Diesel

Hope this helps in your search

Cheers
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 20:11   #1198
Senior - BHPian

@MAS - This is a perception. There isnt anything called as "Crispness" and dont let this influence your decision making process. The sluggishness/NVH can be attributed to various other reasons and is normal in every other diesel car.

If anything, Hyundai has some of the best diesel engine's in the business, You can trust it and go for it eyes closed.

Quote:
I was discussing this topic with a good friend of mine who owned both the Accent CRDi and the First Gen Verna SX. He was of the opinion that Hyundai Diesels lose their "crispiness" in about 30 K kms. They tend to become more sluggish with increase in vibrations and noise.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 00:14   #1199
BHPian

If its about tyres, then can some tyre gurus suggest the best tyres and the size for the Verna?
Vroom barabar! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 02:41   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Good points for a test drive. I would use them to test drive all the cars i have in mind New Fiesta/Magnum/Fluidic Verna/Vento.
Make sure you don't forget to repeat them, while on the back seat as well. Given your high highway usage, high speed composure should high on your priority list.

Quote:
I was discussing this topic with a good friend of mine who owned both the Accent CRDi and the First Gen Verna SX. He was of the opinion that Hyundai Diesels lose their "crispiness" in about 30 K kms. They tend to become more sluggish with increase in vibrations and noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@MAS - I think I will disagree on this point. I drive an Accent CRDi. It is close to 70k kms. It still returns 16 kmpl within the city and around 20kmpl on highways. And I gun it much more these days.

It all depends on how you maintain it and take care of it. I have seen CRDi's that have completed 1.8 lak kms (without engine overhaul). Exceptions are a rule but all I am saying is that crispiness depends on the maintenance
As csateesh says, a lot depends on maintenance. In general diesel engines tend to become more coarse over time. I expect this would be more true for engines which need to be run closer to capacity (ie at a higher rpm). In other words, a smaller engine may show more coarseness over time (another reason why I favoured the Magnum )This is not based on any research, but a perception I have, which may be incorrect. Others with more direct experience of this may want to comment.

I too have heard of stories (not direct experience, but stories of friend's friends etc) of Accent CRDI engines packing up around the 70-80k mark. They were from users in semi-urban areas/small towns, so it may have something to do with the fuel quality. Not sure how much importance these 'stories' deserve.

@csateesh, 1.8L on an Accent CRDI sounds incredible! Could it be a case of Indian manufactured vs imported engines? (the difference between Japanese Suzuki manufactured and Indian Maruti engines used to be remarkable).

Quote:
I have enjoyed reading your threads as it was exactly my dilemma. I had almost chosen the 2.0 Magnum LT, but sadly, i might have to let it go. I will PM you the reason.
Thanks mate. No PM from you till now!

Somehow, I am looking for 'good' logical reasons against the Magnum, but besides it's looks, supposed lack of bling and gadgets, talk of it getting discontinued in the near future (which seems unlikey based on my and others info) I haven't found anything significant. You may be able to help me.

Even if you drop it off your list, just TD it anyway. I too TD it without having any serious thoughts of buying it (and you know how it ended!!!)

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the KUN Service Manager is a very good friend of mine and we know each other as kids (Chaddi wale dost) and he is pretty open about things with me.
In that case, you could also find out if there is any issue with the steering of the Fluidic, like there has been with the i20. If you can share this info with the forum, it may help many people.

Quote:
Vento is a good car, but somehow my heart does not beat for a VW. Will be checking out this car as part of routine. Again, will keep you posted.
If you find the cabin acceptably good, besides some noise, this seemed to be a pretty well rounded car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Mate, in case you have an ownership report, please link it here. It may help others get a better idea about Hyundai engines etc. You must take very good care of your car

Quote:
The sluggishness/NVH can be attributed to various other reasons and is normal in every other diesel car.
+1

Quote:
If anything, Hyundai has some of the best diesel engine's in the business, You can trust it and go for it eyes closed.
Not sure about the other ones, but the Fluidic's engine seemed to be a strong point. Very very smooth for a diesel. Overall it is an untested engine though. BTW, do we have any info about this engine being used in other cars?

Quote:
If its about tyres, then can some tyre gurus suggest the best tyres and the size for the Verna?
+1 to the request.
Even though I don't own this car, or intend buying it, appropriate suggestions on tyres may make significant difference in the weak point of this car.

OT: Love that name - Vroom bababar!

Last edited by Poitive : 21st August 2011 at 02:43.