Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st August 2011, 21:26   #1201
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@MAS - I think I will disagree on this point. I drive an Accent CRDi. It is close to 70k kms. It still returns 16 kmpl within the city and around 20kmpl on highways. And I gun it much more these days.

It all depends on how you maintain it and take care of it. I have seen CRDi's that have completed 1.8 lak kms (without engine overhaul). Exceptions are a rule but all I am saying is that crispiness depends on the maintenance

Hope this doesn't dissuade you from looking at a Hyundai Diesel

Hope this helps in your search

Cheers
Thanks Sateesh for your inputs. Will keep it in mind when test driving the Fluidic Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
@MAS - This is a perception. There isnt anything called as "Crispness" and dont let this influence your decision making process. The sluggishness/NVH can be attributed to various other reasons and is normal in every other diesel car.

If anything, Hyundai has some of the best diesel engine's in the business, You can trust it and go for it eyes closed.
Bala - I would "define" the "crispiness" of an engine to be the FTD factor which most of the diesels offer. It is the sharpness of the engine's response to ones right foot's input. I do not want to own a car whose engine performance "blunts" with kilometers logged. That is my worry.

Last edited by MAS : 21st August 2011 at 21:27.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 21:36   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Bala - I would "define" the "crispiness" of an engine to be the FTD factor which most of the diesels offer. It is the sharpness of the engine's response to ones right foot's input. I do not want to own a car whose engine performance "blunts" with kilometers logged. That is my worry.
Butting in again. By that definition, would rank the cars in order of crispness in the following order:

Magnum>Verna/Vento>NFF>Linea>Manza

The Magnum, Verna and Vento should give you enough crispness in a wider band of RPM.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 22:02   #1203
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Butting in again. By that definition, would rank the cars in order of crispness in the following order:

Magnum>Verna/Vento>NFF>Linea>Manza

The Magnum, Verna and Vento should give you enough crispness in a wider band of RPM.
I am kind of getting used to receiving your excellent comments and suggestions. Love your "butting" in. My question is the life-line of the crispiness of each of the cars mentioned. I have experienced the crispiness of Ford, first hand and so i can vouch for it. I have experienced the crispiness of the Magnum () as i drive the car whenever i visit Mumbai. Need to check it for the other cars. Guys, all your inputs in this subject will help me and the community.
Old 21st August 2011, 22:28   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
. Love your "butting" in. My question is the life-line of the crispiness of each of the cars mentioned. I have experienced the crispiness of Ford, first hand and so i can vouch for it. I have experienced the crispiness of the Magnum () as i drive the car whenever i visit Mumbai. Need to check it for the other cars. Guys, all your inputs in this subject will help me and the community.
Since you asked for it

I presume you meant how long it would last. Now I am not talking by experience, but more by logic. If there is more torque/weight (including weight of passengers) to start with, it should remain crisper relative to the other cars (as opposed to it's own new self) for a longer time.

So the order of crispness should be similar, even in terms of longevity.

Would not generalize the Ford bit. It may change from car to car. And the NFF feels a tad underpowered to start with. Especially given the very capable handling and chassis, and the price one pays for it.

The Fluidic, on the other hand has too much power/torque with suspect handling for high speeds.

OT: The post BS4 Magnum's power delivery seems to differ from the older ones.

Note: @MAS, it may be a good idea to start a new what-car thread, as then one would be able to talk more freely, as the questions are going beyond the Fluidic. The mods too may appreciate that instead of talking about this here. Sadly, the Choosing thread has been closed, otherwise that would have been the ideal thread for it. Or you could request them to branch out the questions from this thread to create a new one.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:37   #1205
BHPian

Had an opportunity to test drive the petrol verna yesterday. The engine is superb, gear throws precise and the instrument console too is good. I was however put off by the garish faux wood and overall feel appeared too garish. The rear seats are very uncomfortable and low. Handling at high speeds is a bit scary and my wife and son were complaining about how it keeps moving vertically and they were thrown all over the place especially over bad roads (I guess they were spoilt by Linea's ride). The diesel version was not even offered as a test ride and there was a big board "Waiting period for Diesel Verna is 6 months". Basically the attitude seems to be we have enough customers so in case you want to buy you have to trust what we sell. Amazing attitude.
How I wish my Linea came with a 1.6 MJD, but else there is no comparison to a VW TDI (all gizmos be damned) but then - I am a minority ( I bought a Fiat...)
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:47   #1206
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Since you asked for it

I presume you meant how long it would last. Now I am not talking by experience, but more by logic. If there is more torque/weight (including weight of passengers) to start with, it should remain crisper relative to the other cars (as opposed to it's own new self) for a longer time.

So the order of crispness should be similar, even in terms of longevity.

Would not generalize the Ford bit. It may change from car to car. And the NFF feels a tad underpowered to start with. Especially given the very capable handling and chassis, and the price one pays for it.

The Fluidic, on the other hand has too much power/torque with suspect handling for high speeds.

OT: The post BS4 Magnum's power delivery seems to differ from the older ones.

Note: @MAS, it may be a good idea to start a new what-car thread, as then one would be able to talk more freely, as the questions are going beyond the Fluidic. The mods too may appreciate that instead of talking about this here. Sadly, the Choosing thread has been closed, otherwise that would have been the ideal thread for it. Or you could request them to branch out the questions from this thread to create a new one.
Yes, I meant how long will the crispiness of the engine last. Almost every post i read about the Fluidic seems to suggest having difficulties at high speeds. As most of my driving will be on the highways at over 100 kmph, the Verna is not apt for my requirement. Still will test drive it and post my findings/observations.

Meanwhile, i did open a new thread as i was unable to decide on which car to choose. After 6 good responses, the thread was deleted. Will continue my hunting on the rest of the threads and come to a conclusion.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:13   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I meant how long will the crispiness of the engine last. Almost every post i read about the Fluidic seems to suggest having difficulties at high speeds. As most of my driving will be on the highways at over 100 kmph, the Verna is not apt for my requirement. Still will test drive it and post my findings/observations.
Mate, you could consider the Verna with some mods, as was suggested by GTO before. But you should also check with your pal about how it would affect warranty. Things may be easier for you because of your friend.

Also, do you expect to use the rear bench extensively?
The rear bench of the Verna again seems to be a weak spot.
However, since you are tall, it will allow a lot more legroom for the rear passengers with you in front, as compared to the NFF.
Quote:
Meanwhile, i did open a new thread as i was unable to decide on which car to choose. After 6 good responses, the thread was deleted. Will continue my hunting on the rest of the threads and come to a conclusion.
I brought up the issue of closed threads et all in the appropriate thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2476625 (Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians)

You may use the Driven! thread to take this further: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:54   #1208
BHPian

Folks,

One of the fellow bhpian had TD'ed the Fluidic Verna recently, in fact three times and have given a completely discouraging note of things. Highlights would be:

1. The interiors are a shame with the lettering on the switches looked as if hand-written. The faux wood is a too much faux it seems
2. The well known 'beyond 100kmph is a boat'
3. The rear-view cam and Bluetooth were really poor in visibility and connectivity(with BB) respectively.
4. The TD vehicle had done 3K and seems the interior have started to fall of exemplifying with the door sensor to start with.

This is the first time I have heard anyone say so. I myself have not TD'ed. It was my dad who did the same and also the booking. I am planning to do it some time down the lane in September mid as I am busy with Office and Ramadan. I had it booked considering the waiting period which is really Looong and no other cars were giving reviews like ANHV.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this concern but most of the ANHV owners in tbhp is just started clocking km and the majority are in queue like me.

Have any of you guys heard such comments on the ANHV. I am not a nasty driver even on highways so the 'boat' effect doesnt scare me . but the parts falling off at 3k km is itching at the back of my future dream.
cogweelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:41   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
1. The interiors are a shame with the lettering on the switches looked as if hand-written. The faux wood is a too much faux it seems
3. The rear-view cam and Bluetooth were really poor in visibility and connectivity(with BB) respectively.
4. The TD vehicle had done 3K and seems the interior have started to fall of exemplifying with the door sensor to start with.

Have any of you guys heard such comments on the ANHV. I am not a nasty driver even on highways so the 'boat' effect doesnt scare me . but the parts falling off at 3k km is itching at the back of my future dream.
I have driven the all-new Verna and so I would be able to relate (or rather not) to what you just stated. The faux wood is bad I agree but the interior parts falling off is definitely not right. Maybe it's a one-off case and that particular test-drive car was maintained nastily. You will have to sit in Verna and the new Fiesta in close succession to actually understand how much better the Verna is in terms of interior quality and fit and finish. We have seen Hyundais over the years, isn't it? Even the Santro's interiors holds on well and the i10 and i20 arguably has the best interiors in their segment (with some exceptions like Jazz and Polo).

Regarding the high-speed handling, the less said the better. Its a far cry from the brilliant Fiesta, Linea and Vento but it is also definitely not as bad as being stated elsewhere in this forum. IMO, it is too much exaggerated that the Verna is extremely unstable on highways. It is just like every other Hyundai. If Santros, i10s, i20s, old Vernas and Accents can be driven on highways, the all-new Verna can also be and quite safely at that too.

So, don't let that feedback bother you. Enjoy your Verna once it comes and share your experiences with us.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:13   #1210
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

One of the fellow bhpian had TD'ed the Fluidic Verna recently, in fact three times and have given a completely discouraging note of things. Highlights would be:

This is the first time I have heard anyone say so. I myself have not TD'ed. It was my dad who did the same and also the booking.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this concern but most of the ANHV owners in tbhp is just started clocking km and the majority are in queue like me.
cogweelz, As a proud owner of the ANHV CRDi SX I can tell you that the car is a gem. I have had this car since June and I have totally enjoyed the experience have driven both in city and highway. I can tell you that you not be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I have driven the all-new Verna and so I would be able to relate (or rather not) to what you just stated. The faux wood is bad I agree but the interior parts falling off is definitely not right. Maybe it's a one-off case and that particular test-drive car was maintained nastily. You will have to sit in Verna and the new Fiesta in close succession to actually understand how much better the Verna is in terms of interior quality and fit and finish. We have seen Hyundais over the years, isn't it? Even the Santro's interiors holds on well and the i10 and i20 arguably has the best interiors in their segment (with some exceptions like Jazz and Polo).

Regarding the high-speed handling, the less said the better. Its a far cry from the brilliant Fiesta, Linea and Vento but it is also definitely not as bad as being stated elsewhere in this forum. IMO, it is too much exaggerated that the Verna is extremely unstable on highways. It is just like every other Hyundai. If Santros, i10s, i20s, old Vernas and Accents can be driven on highways, the all-new Verna can also be and quite safely at that too.

So, don't let that feedback bother you. Enjoy your Verna once it comes and share your experiences with us.
+1 arvi86. Well written, I fully agree with you.
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:23   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I have heard anyone say so. I myself have not TD'ed. It was my dad who did the same and also the booking.
Since your Dad has TDed it what are his first impressions. If he did not find any issues with the interiors (parts filling apart), then nothing to worry. The TD car which your friend experienced could be a one-off case. I have TDed the Fluidic & was quite impressed with the interiors.

Quote:
Keep a close watch on the ownership threads. These are the best resources where you can get first hand genuine feedback, & filter the noise of hearsayers.

Quote:
Rest assured that the parts won't fall off even in the wildest of your dreams.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:15   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

+1 arvi86, you have my troubled waters put to placid heaven.Definitely, I draft the entire thread almost everyday in my mind. If only I could go to sleep and wake up to find its November

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
cogweelz, As a proud owner of the ANHV CRDi SX I can tell you that the car is a gem. I have had this car since June and I have totally enjoyed the experience have driven both in city and highway. I can tell you that you not be disappointed.

+1 arvi86. Well written, I fully agree with you.
Your words are really helping. Hope to join the club soon.Btw did you opt for the 1 year extended warranty?Is it really worth?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Since your Dad has TDed it what are his first impressions. If he did not find any issues with the interiors (parts filling apart), then nothing to worry. The TD car which your friend experienced could be a one-off case. I have TDed the Fluidic & was quite impressed with the interiors.
My dad had his impressions compared against our Civic(1.8 S) albeit they are in different segments. He was too much impressed with the exterior than the interiors.Of course the car is smaller and so is the cabin space. But he was appreciating the gizmos esp the reverse camera. He said it was clear and precise unlike the comments I mentioned above. He is a sedate driver so anything above 70-80kmph is not his cup of tea and wants me to follow similar road of conduct.Thus he is not worried about handling at high speeds. Yes 85kmph is red line as per his books. He was more vocal about MID cluster, fold-able keys, useful armrest, alloys and the upholstery .

Keep a close watch on the ownership threads. These are the best resources where you can get first hand genuine feedback, & filter the noise of hearsayers.

I am and will continue doing that.

Rest assured that the parts won't fall off even in the wildest of your dreams.

Yes, I totally believe the history of Hyundai cars.Our 2005 Santro zip gave us the impression of a fort by its standards. None of the parts fell of. Once a biker hit (really hard) our ORVM fall off from the rotary hinges but the mirrors were intact.

Last edited by cogweelz : 23rd August 2011 at 12:17. Reason: formatting changed
cogweelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:17   #1213
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

On my recent trip to Canada I visited a Hyundai Dealership. The ANHV is sold as 2012 Accent and they have introduced the hatch version as an additional variant. I noted that the car sold in India and Canada is more or less the same spec but for the fact that the tranny is auto only (Auto should be 7 speed, did not check). Canada sells petrol cars only unlike Europe and India where diesels are popular. Felt happy that there is no compromise on the car specs in India and Hyundai has met our aspirations of driving a car which is driven on the same specs globally.

Noticed that the new Elantra and new Sonata are quite popular and spoke to a few people and most recognize the fact the Hyundai product quality has improved leaps and bounds over the last few years and more and more people at looking at Hyundai as an option.

Here are pictures of the Elantra which is better looking than the ANHV.
Name:  DSC03772.JPG
Views: 1531
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  DSC03773.JPG
Views: 1768
Size:  56.7 KB

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 23rd August 2011 at 12:19.
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:24   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

This is the first time I have heard anyone say so. I myself have not TD'ed. It was my dad who did the same and also the booking. I am planning to do it some time down the lane in September mid as I am busy with Office and Ramadan. I had it booked considering the waiting period which is really Looong and no other cars were giving reviews like ANHV.

Hi cogwheelz, I have been driving ANHV from the past 1.5 months its an excellent car. There will be a few issues here and there for every new product. We do not have a car that is 100% perfect in every aspect. So, enjoy the car once delivered.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 03:07   #1215
BHPian

Quote:

-------------------
I'd largely only be repeating what has already been said.

Interiors
Interiors are anything but a shame. It was one impressive area of the car! Cars need to be judged for the price they are selling at, and this one did impress with most things in it's interiors.

What was not nice about the interiors was the claustrophobic feeling in the rear and the overall seat comfort at the rear.

High Speed Handling and Ride
This really did seem to be a big concern to me. Was not confidence inspiring. But if you are to stick to the 85kmph redline, it should not be a big concern for you - at least in the front seat.

Rear View Cam
Seemed quite allright to me. Don't compare it to one of those big LCD screens, but for one integrated in the rear view mirror, it was fine.

Interiors Falling apart?
If this were really happening, it would be a total shocker. Complain about Hyundai handling etc etc is understandable, but the interiors falling apart seems inappropriate. Not at 3k!!

BTW, had written a fairly extended report on the Fluidic TD, in case you want another view.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2413120 (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

Very good pieces of advise from @autoindian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The TD car which your friend experienced could be a one-off case.
---------------------

Wise words, those @autoindian.

TD reports (including mine) are based on a short amount of time with the car.

Long term ownership reports are very good sources. However a word of caution in interpreting them - if one buys a car, one has almost always liked it enough to have put in the money. You are then talking in from such a select group (sample) and they are more likely to be happy with the product than a more average person (random sample, as they call it).

Also, after buying a product, a human instinct to see it as a good decision is usually also there; unless of course one has a very bad experience. I hope I am not falling to this instinct, in my own ownership report!!!