Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th August 2011, 15:47   #1216
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I got a reply from Hyundai after my complaint on the suspension issue. They asked me to get the verna checked at the service centre.I went there and got it checked.

They thoroughly examined the vehicle's suspension and I was told by the service advisor that they have "Tightened a few screws in the suspension assembly" to make it more stiffer.

I tested it and to my surprise, the car's ride and handling has improved vastly. The problems that I had with the suspension crashing on potholes and making loud sounds have totally gone. The cabin is a much more comfortable place to be in .Though the suspension is still on the softer side but way better than before.The high speed ride has also improved and I pulled it through 130 kmph with much more confidence.

For now my major worries have been addressed and I am happy with the car as well as with Hyundai's quick response and delightful service. A big thumbs up to Hyundai!

The guys at the service centre said that I was the first to complain about this issue.I recommend all those who are facing this problem should get it fixed at the service centre and fall in love with their fluidic verna all over again!
Vroom barabar! is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 15:56   #1217
BHPian

Which dealer in Mumbai did you go to? Did he understand the issue and know what is to be done? If yes, then it seems Hyundai has taken note of this handling issue raised in t-bhp and other forums and informed dealers on how to rectify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
I got a reply from Hyundai after my complaint on the suspension issue. They asked me to get the verna checked at the service centre.I went there and got it checked.

The guys at the service centre said that I was the first to complain about this issue.I recommend all those who are facing this problem should get it fixed at the service centre and fall in love with their fluidic verna all over again!
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:03   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Which dealer in Mumbai did you go to? Did he understand the issue and know what is to be done? If yes, then it seems Hyundai has taken note of this handling issue raised in t-bhp and other forums and informed dealers on how to rectify this?
Sorry have not updated my location on t-bhp. I am currently based out of Delhi and I went to Orion Hyundai in Gurgaon. Yes they understood the issue and I am quite satisfied with the outcome. I suggest you go to the dealer and explain your problem. They seem to have the solution!
Vroom barabar! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:10   #1219
BHPian

I think ALL of the TBHP Verna owners should speak up here to inspire confidence in prospective buyers. Too much negativity floating around here about what is probably one of the best cars to come out of the Hyundai stable.

I've had my Verna for the last 2 months, have clocked 2600km and don't have any complains except for the bottom scraping on huge humps. For the umpteenth time, the handling is not as bad as hearsay.

Also I read someone say that the interiors were a shame. I have no words! This car has one of the neatest, well laid out interiors one can ask for. Agreed its not as futuristic as the hondas, but its far from primitive!

I can guarantee you that this is a car that will impress. Own it to know it!

On a different note, what Vroom Barabar has said appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the one shortcoming of this car. I'm going to check that out. As for the bottom scraping on full load, I think I'll try out that urethane thingy that was discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Quote:
Sorry have not updated my location on t-bhp. I am currently based out of Delhi and I went to Orion Hyundai in Gurgaon. Yes they understood the issue and I am quite satisfied with the outcome. I suggest you go to the dealer and explain your problem. They seem to have the solution!
Could you please check with them as to what exactly they did? This is so that we can tell our service centres to do just that, instead of them contemplating on what needs to be done. Thanks!

Last edited by Tassem : 24th August 2011 at 16:12.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 20:12   #1220
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Could you please check with them as to what exactly they did? This is so that we can tell our service centres to do just that, instead of them contemplating on what needs to be done. Thanks!
I understand that is being done only for cars which make a loud sound like the coil spring jumping and coming back to the groove. Hence they are tightening the same to ensure that the coil springs remain in position after the action

In my car no such noise comes hence I was advised to maintain things as it is.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 20:24   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I understand that is being done only for cars which make a loud sound like the coil spring jumping and coming back to the groove. Hence they are tightening the same to ensure that the coil springs remain in position after the action

Cheers

KPS
But he mentions that the ride has become considerably stiffer after the tweak. That's something I can use Either ways I'm going to pay the service centre a visit next week. By then I hope to find the Urethane coil spring adjusters as well.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:01   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
They thoroughly examined the vehicle's suspension and I was told by the service advisor that they have "Tightened a few screws in the suspension assembly" to make it more stiffer.

I tested it and to my surprise, the car's ride and handling has improved vastly.

This is Fantastic news. @Vroom barabar, hope you'll keep updating the forum about the change in experience from the car.

Quote:
I think ALL of the TBHP Verna owners should speak up here to inspire confidence in prospective buyers. Too much negativity floating around here about what is probably one of the best cars to come out of the Hyundai stable.

---------------------

All cars have some negatives. This two significant ones this one has are the sense of claustrophobia in the rear bench (which really may not bother a lot of people) and the handling. With the handling being taken care of, this one can be a wonderful car. It has a lovely engine. Had a very very smooth and refined feel.

Quote:
Guys, in the ol' mobike days, we used to have the shockers used to have a few adjustments. One could do it by one's self in 1-2 minutes. One could change the length and stiffness of the shocker that way and it would change the feel of the bike.

Any possibility that there is such a provision in cars as well. Possibly a more sophisticated one. Am also wondering, if this could be there in other cars as well and people haven't really checked with the right service personnel at all?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 21:05   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cogweelz, As a proud owner of the ANHV CRDi SX I can tell you that the car is a gem. I have had this car since June and I have totally enjoyed the experience have driven both in city and highway. I can tell you that you not be disappointed.

+1 arvi86. Well written, I fully agree with you.
Very true KPS. The all-new Verna is a shining gem in Hyundai's armour with only some polishing required in handling and rear suspension to make it 'the' best. And, by the way, cars with equally bad (soft) rear suspension have become huge successes in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
+1 arvi86, you have my troubled waters put to placid heaven.Definitely, I draft the entire thread almost everyday in my mind. If only I could go to sleep and wake up to find its November
I understand your feelings and sentiments cogwheelz. Its definitely a nightmare to wait for months together to lay our hands on our dream machine. Wishing you some early success with the delivery of all-new Verna.
Quote:
On my recent trip to Canada I visited a Hyundai Dealership. The ANHV is sold as 2012 Accent and they have introduced the hatch version as an additional variant. I noted that the car sold in India and Canada is more or less the same spec but for the fact that the tranny is auto only (Auto should be 7 speed, did not check). Canada sells petrol cars only unlike Europe and India where diesels are popular. Felt happy that there is no compromise on the car specs in India and Hyundai has met our aspirations of driving a car which is driven on the same specs globally.

Noticed that the new Elantra and new Sonata are quite popular
Here are pictures of the Elantra which is better looking than the ANHV.
Cheers
That's the best thing about Hyundai in India. Right from the initial Santro to the latest all-new Verna, their models are the same in India and abroad. They have never skimped on variants or features for us Indians like what some other companies do. In fact, any i10 or most i20s that you see anywhere in the world are in fact Made in India.

That Elantra is one stunning looking car. IMO, Hyundai's Fluidic Sculpture desing language has come out perfectly in the all-new Elantra. I can't wait to see this car in Indian roads.

By the way, I heard from a friend that Hyundai has stopped taking bookings for the all-new Verna due to overflowing orderbooks. Is that true? Can someone please enlighten me?
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 21:43   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
That's the best thing about Hyundai in India. their models are the same in India and abroad.
Not quite. The Petrol Verna launched abroad is powered by a direct-injection 138hp 1.6-liter pot that makes 123 ft-lbs of torque. It also has EBD and a 6 speed auto tranny available.

The Indian version makes 123bhp and 114.28 ft-lbs of torque. It does not have EBD and comes with a 4 speed auto tranny. The manual tranny is the same here though.

I'm sure there are other differences as well.
Old 25th August 2011, 21:55   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Very true KPS. The all-new Verna is a shining gem in Hyundai's armour with only some polishing required in handling and rear suspension to make it 'the' best. And, by the way, cars with equally bad (soft) rear suspension have become huge successes in India.
Arvi, consider the design of the cabin with respect to the experience in the rear bench. To me, it isn't a good car to be driven around in. That may be a much bigger challenge than the suspension and probably one that can't be solved. To generate more headroom from a coupe like design, they have lowered the seats, which has led to other issues.

About suspensions - I think it would be a deliberate move to go in for a soft one. This car may get a lot of flak on the forum, but in the 'real world' people are really going for it. Hyundai would have read this well. Most people would rather have a comfortable car (read soft suspension) than better handling at high speed.

It is a very soft and easy to use everyday car. Ease of use is imporant to many people. Hyundai A$$ also helps. Wonderful for the city this.

With changes in the suspension (as talked by Vroom above) it may even start to seem very good on the highway. Am eagerly looking towards more reports about others' experiences with this change.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th August 2011 at 22:00. Reason: formatting
Old 25th August 2011, 22:22   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's the best thing about Hyundai in India. Right from the initial Santro to the latest all-new Verna, their models are the same in India and abroad. They have never skimped on variants or features for us Indians like what some other companies do.
No doubt they have done really well in India, but saying that their models are same in India and abroad maybe a bit far-fetched. I feel, in the past few years they have been very conservative in the Indian market. For e.g.; the Elantra in now in the 5th generation, but IIRC, what we saw in India last was the 3rd gen. Maybe the success of Verna is an invitation for them to bring in more sedans.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:16   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
That's the best thing about Hyundai in India. Right from the initial Santro to the latest all-new Verna, their models are the same in India and abroad. They have never skimped on variants or features for us Indians like what some other companies do. In fact, any i10 or most i20s that you see anywhere in the world are in fact Made in India.
I was under this impression as well, until I noticed the difference in fitments/features between the India I10 and the I10 sold elsewhere in the world. Check out my below post in this regard:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2301809 (Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review)
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:32   #1228
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the Verna SX yesterday. The car looks great, has more than enough gizmos that one could ask for. The only negative was it handled like a boat. I'm sorry, but all those who feel that the Verna has no problem with high speed stability and handles well have never driven a good driver's car. Come on guys, the car is very bad over speed humps, crashes heavily into pot holes and swings like a boat if we try to "flip-in and out" of traffic. Absolutely no confidence at all. I drove the car for 5 kms and had experienced severe headache.

I was impressed with the car, my wife loved the looks, but I'm thoroughly disappointed with its handling. And please guys, the bad handling is NOT a hype, it is reality.

Having said that, I have arranged for a longer test drive tomorrow. I would have the KUN Hyundai's service manager with me to analyse the bad part of the drive and see if he can give me a solution. The post by Vroom barabar is very encouraging. Will show his post to the KUN's SM and check if he can do something of that sort. If yes, I will go in for the Verna. Will keep this space updated...

Last edited by MAS : 25th August 2011 at 23:39.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 02:21   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Will show his post to the KUN's SM and check if he can do something of that sort. If yes, I will go in for the Verna. Will keep this space updated...
My impression of this car changed a whole lot when I moved to the rear seat. In case you are to spend 'any' time in the rear seat of your car, do make sure that you spend it on the TD as well.
Old 26th August 2011, 07:08   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite. The Petrol Verna launched abroad is powered by a direct-injection 138hp 1.6-liter pot that makes 123 ft-lbs of torque. It also has EBD and a 6 speed auto tranny available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
No doubt they have done really well in India, but saying that their models are same in India and abroad maybe a bit far-fetched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I was under this impression as well, until I noticed the difference in fitments/features between the India I10 and the I10 sold elsewhere in the world. Check out my below post in this regard:
Guys, I agree with all of you that the Indian and International variants are not exactly the same especially when it comes to the advances made by Hyundai in recent years in powertrain and transmissions. We don't have the GDIs yet, we don't have the Turbos yet, but on a broader sense, Hyundai in India does offer products that are comparable in features, fit and finish with their international counterparts. Compare an Indian i10 and an international i10 - there would be some differences. But, compare an Indian Punto and an European Punto - you know how different it would be. That's what I was trying to convey.

Of course, there would be cost-cutting, India is still a cost conscious market. We wouldn't pay more and get less and we expect good VFM even when it comes to premium stuff, don't we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Arvi, consider the design of the cabin with respect to the experience in the rear bench. To me, it isn't a good car to be driven around in. That may be a much bigger challenge than the suspension and probably one that can't be solved. To generate more headroom from a coupe like design, they have lowered the seats, which has led to other issues.
Quite right mate. That's the price we are forced to pay for a good-looking design. Its in this aspect I find cars like Vento and City to be more practical. You don't get that claustrophobia sitting inside them like what we get in Swift and now the new Verna.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote