Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd October 2011, 20:32   #1336
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

GTO just listed the September numbers. The Verna is surely the star of the C Segment. Numbers has been consistently very good. Let the numbers speak for themselves

Hyundai Verna - 4810
Honda City - 3720 (only petrol, expected face lift)
VW Vento - 3019
Ford Fiesta - 647 (pricing killed this car)
Chevrolet Optra - 320
Maruti SX 4 - 196 (strike)
Fiat Linea - 140

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:12   #1337
Senior - BHPian

i could not agree more , very bad pricing strategy - and then they got stuck , giving discounts/rebates on a brand new car is not a sign of good things but Ford have a major excuse coming up in the name of Diwali and they should do something with that to give this car a boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Ford Fiesta - 647 (pricing killed this car)
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 04:12   #1338
BHPian

Hey guys, should be getting delivery of my silver VTVT SXo tomorrow or the day after. a quick question. Do I need to upgrade the tyres? Current ones are Bridgestones.

PS: The last image is of eons still under cover. See the comparative size with the i20. Couldnt take more pics as it as apparently "Forbidden" as the car will launch only on the 13th.
Attached Images

Shome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 07:44   #1339
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hey guys, should be getting delivery of my silver VTVT SXo tomorrow or the day after. a quick question. Do I need to upgrade the tyres? Current ones are Bridgestones.
Frankly the 195/55 R16 tyres do a very good job. There is no need to upgrade. Bridgestone tyres are soft tyres and hence the ride quality is good. I have the same tyres on my car and I am happy with it.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 08:20   #1340
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The August 2011 AUTOCAR features a AUTOCAR GIANT TEST of the following diesel cars, namely

Ford Fiesta TDCI Titanium+ vs Hyundai Verna CRDi SX(O) vs Fiat Linea Multijet Emotion Pack vs Volkswagen Vento EDI Highline vs Maruti SX4 ZDI and the AUTOCAR verdict is posted below

Quote:
The SX4 is a well priced car which works well in the Indian environment, like most Marutis. However, compared to the competition, it doesn't fell special enouigh and lags behind in terms interior quality, space and performance. Fiat's Linea is stylish, well equipped and superb value but its sluggish bottom end performance and limited rear seat space spoils its chances. The Vento has a strong engine and few can argue against the snob appeal of the VW badge. But given the short feature list, you don't really get your money's worth. The Ford Fiesta - the newest kid on the block - packs in a lot with class leading refinement and by far the best driving experience. However, limited rear seat space, below par interior quality and average performance mark it down. The rather premium price doesn't help either. That leaves the Hyundai Verna. It may not be perfect wot its unsettled high speed manners and low-set rear seat. But it more than makes up for these with its powerful engine, refinement, a lengthy features list and keen pricing that makes it good value. And in the end it is the value trump card that wins the Verna this comparison, but only just
Some other interesting notes in the same article
The 0-100kph timings for the cars are as below
Linea -15.04sec
Fiesta- 13.90sec
SX4 - 13.80sec
Vento - 11.30sec
Verna - 10.54sec

The Top Speed for the cars are as below
SX4 - 165 kph
Linea -168 kph
Fiesta -171 kph
Vento -186 kph
Verna - 191 kph

The overall mileage figures are as below
SX4 - 15.1 kpl
Linea -15.2 kpl
Vento - 15.2 kpl
Fiesta -15.6 kpl
Verna - 15.8 kpl

The full article is available in AUTOCAR August 2011 Issue.

Hope this helps.

By the way today's Economic Times states that Verna still has 20000 bookings awaiting delivery. This is amazing considering 22204 deliveries have happened from May-Sept.

Cheers

KPS
Old 5th October 2011, 08:33   #1341
BHPian

Short feature list of Vento is a thing of past
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 09:45   #1342
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Short feature list of Vento is a thing of past
Verna still packs 6 speed gear box, start/stop button, keyless entry, 6 airbags, reverse camera, art leather seats, electric chromic inside mirrors which automatically controls glare. If this is to be introduced in the Vento, VW will not be able to match pricing in my opinion.

The engine + 6 speed gearbox refinement is just amazing and is class leading

Cheers

KPS
Old 5th October 2011, 09:49   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

Verna still packs 6 speed gear box, start/stop button, keyless entry, 6 airbags, reverse camera, art leather seats, electric chromic inside mirrors which automatically controls glare. If this is to be introduced in the Vento, VW will not be able to match pricing in my opinion.

The engine + 6 speed gearbox refinement is just amazing and is class leading

Cheers

KPS
Ofcourse Verna has all these. But with latest upgrades in highline diesel, Vento has decent features in my opinion and we cannot say anymore that Vento has no features etc. My comment was in isolation on the statement made by ACI and not in comparison with Verna or Fiesta.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:26   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly the 195/55 R16 tyres do a very good job. There is no need to upgrade. Bridgestone tyres are soft tyres and hence the ride quality is good. I have the same tyres on my car and I am happy with it.

Cheers

KPS
KPS, thanks for the response. How about noise from the tyres? is it an issue?
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 13:44   #1345
Senior - BHPian

lol! When do these figures start mattering to us guys?

Theoritically Verna & Linea might have a 5 second difference for 0-100kms speeds but a lot depends on the driver too. For the average Anand, this would be hardly matter. What would matter is the last statistics - mileage; which if you note in the below list are ARAI figures which are all almost same and hardly useful - a better option is real figures given by owners on this forum.

Also what would matter more to us whether the 0-100kph timings & top speeds(?) are being attained by people, considering the car isn't known to be the best in the handling department at high speeds.

Quote:
Some other interesting notes in the same article
The 0-100kph timings for the cars are as below
Linea -15.04sec
Fiesta- 13.90sec
SX4 - 13.80sec
Vento - 11.30sec
Verna - 10.54sec

The Top Speed for the cars are as below
SX4 - 165 kph
Linea -168 kph
Fiesta -171 kph
Vento -186 kph
Verna - 191 kph

The overall mileage figures are as below
SX4 - 15.1 kpl
Linea -15.2 kpl
Vento - 15.2 kpl
Fiesta -15.6 kpl
Verna - 15.8 kpl
On the same note, Verna owners, what is the feedack on the handling? Have you guys been able to push the car for speeds exceeding 120 - 140kmph?
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:25   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Verna owners, what is the feedack on the handling? Have you guys been able to push the car for speeds exceeding 120 - 140kmph?
I did a Yercaud trip last saturday and touched 180 on the speedo for around 15-20 seconds. Rest of the time it was mainly 120-140. Bangalore - Salem - Yercaud roads are quite good and you can carry speeds. To reiterate, while the handling may not be corner carver steady, its far from the boat the media has made it out to be. And it handled the 20 hairpin bends with absolute posture.

I must add that while I stuck to the 140 mark for most of the time, a Laura driver overtook me a few times. I guess he was at 150-160 most of the time. Not only does that car handle well, but he must have had some solid cojones as well!

Having said that, I am looking at suspension upgrades because a Spider Tuning Box / Chip Express is on the cards.

Last edited by Tassem : 5th October 2011 at 14:30.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:36   #1347
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
KPS, thanks for the response. How about noise from the tyres? is it an issue?
Noise from the tyre is not an issue at all. The insulation on the car is just top notch. Hardly any road noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What would matter is the last statistics - mileage; which if you note in the below list are ARAI figures which are all almost same and hardly useful - a better option is real figures given by owners on this forum.
Quote:
These averages in the article are actual test drive figures and not ARAI figures. My car in the city has given an FE at 13.8 on my last tank full run. On the Highway at 120+ speeds it is constant at 17+ FE. The best FE I got is 21+ driving at 80 kmph speed (6th gear 1500 rpm) to Bangalore Airport & back (66 kms drive). The AUTOCAR figures are stand alone based on their Test Drive
Also what would matter more to us whether the 0-100kph timings & top speeds(?) are being attained by people, considering the car isn't known to be the best in the handling department at high speeds.
On the same note, Verna owners, what is the feedack on the handling? Have you guys been able to push the car for speeds exceeding 120 - 140kmph?
Quote:
Top Speed I hit was 150 kmph on an excellent stretch of road and the 2 people in the back did not feel it at all. I am very comfortable driving in the 120-130 range. The 4 disc brakes with ABS+EBD makes braking spot on at high speeds
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:46   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
My car in the city has given an FE at 13.8 on my last tank full run. On the Highway at 120+ speeds it is constant at 17+ FE. The best FE I got is 21+ driving at 80 kmph speed (6th gear 1500 rpm) to Bangalore Airport & back (66 kms drive).
I always get 19-21 mileage on the highways while maintaining 100-140. The trick is not to accelerate back to your highway speed aggressively if you have to slow down. That's where most of the fuel is used up.

If I have to slow down due to traffic/toll booths/cows/morons I slowly climb back to speed. The stonker of an engine and appropriate gearing contributes to excellent roll on characteristics and you will reach your highways speeds quite comfortably while not losing out on mileage.

Its either that or I'm mad
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:35   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Well , the long Test drive finally happened yesterday - a good day given that traffic was on the lesser side allowing me to push the engine and speeds a bit , unfortunately not at the levels where the ' apprehensiveness' starts coming in but high nevertheless. TD vehicle was a diesel .

Drive

got into the car with a sales rep and post starting off told him that i am not going to follow any route which has been setup and need a little space to get a feel for the car , fortunately had a very nice guy who was more than willing to sit back and let me do what i wanted

Launched into few straight runs to begin with which also included crossing a few flyovers - managed to achieve 90 on most runs and sustain it for a bit as well , no problems with the car whatsoever. Did not bob around too much and held its line. The steering is very light as has been mentioned by numerous others , but for me personally , i liked it and the minimal effort which went into turning the car

The power delivery is pretty linear but there is a definite surge post 2000 - 2200 RPM mark which seems quite endless , i touched the red line on the 1st/2nd gear but was not able to on the 3rd - ran out of road. Fortunately i have driven the petrol as well and i know what to expect there - the punch at 2000 on the petrol is less but the feeling present nevertheless.

What i did notice , or was to my personal disliking was the upshift from 1st to 2nd - firstly the slotting into 2nd was slightly coarse and there was a jerk post releasing the clutch after slotting it in - the second i can attribute to it being a TD car or my foot but not the first.

The second part of the TD was purely to get a feeler for the car cornering / turning at normal speeds and above that as well. Turned into Defence Colony which allows for a good mix of soft as well as hard turns + bad roads at the moment owing to all the construction taking place there - The normal needless to say was rather unexciting and nothing really to report there - the light steering made it a breeze.

On the faster turns i was very happy with the car as well. no fishtailing feeling or anything moving out of the line that i was trying to maintain. Not protests from the tyres either - not once did they squeal or screech , maybe the speeds could have been a bit higher but at the end of the day i was driving in a colony road and i was not going to take any chances - even what i achieved was well above how i would drive normally so happy with the performance overall.

Cabin is quiet , the soft suspension made short work out of most bad roads i drove on. Was trying to find a deep pothole to run one of the tyres into but nothing deep enough.

Others

Took another feeler for all the gizmos and features within the car. As happy as i was last time with a few more observations

1.I did read a post on the quality of the camera so specifically wanted to test it out - ran the camera in bright sunlight as well as the shade and for me the clarity it gives is more than acceptable.

2. I do find the middle arm rest a bit hard and i am pretty sure that over long drives it might give ones elbow a bit of a rubdown and i will need to figure out a solution for this

3. The instrumentation console is lit up all the day , like in the city , what nagged me this time was the driver information display screen - i felt that the presentation could have been better - in terms of fonts , colors , lines not but this is nominal. I also appreciated the trip button not being on the console but towards the right of the steering ensuring easy switching operation

4. Did not spend too much time in the backseat since i was having such a nice time in the front , but did get into them for a few minutes to reconfirm that i was ok with the window line and the general comfort wile driving - no complaints or second thoughts on either

5. the ACC is pretty solid , Delhi is not as hot anymore but the car had been parked in the sun but the ACC cooled it within 3-4 minutes running at 50% blower speed

6. ICE is fine for me , i might tend to agree with the bass being on the lower side but i think that can be adjusted to suit me without requiring any upgrades. Additionally a lot of the units i tend to hook up to the car themselves have bass boosts and equalizers so i can simply tweak the input itself to take care of the output

7. ECO mode is as is in the i20 , nice touch but i will never follow it

8. Asked the sales guy about feedback specific to high speed handling and suspension and told him what i have been reading about - said he was surprised and that as far as their dealership and his customers are concerned he has not got that. Ofcourse he would i am sure underplay it a bit but just to highlight that he has to be one of the most helpful sales person i have encountered in the last 10 years.

Overall a very good hour! More confident now than before as well on the car.

for those who might find this update useful - Diesel has a waiting period of 4/5 months and the petrol is closer to 2 now irrespective of the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

If I am not mistaken you had mentioned in the other thread that you would be taking a good long TD , what was your experience ?
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:53   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
I own ANHV SX CRDI and experiencing similar characteristics. My previous ride was a Swift and used to be very comfortable at 100 KMH. However, driving ANHV at 110 KMH on highway was little uncomfortable. The ride is very comfortable as long as the road is very flat. On uneven road conditions the suspension feels very soft and becomes wallowy(took this word from Zappo's review comments :-)). I generally drive within the city for 90% of time, so may not be a serious problem for now, but I am still looking for a suspension replacement option.

Also, if the car goes through a pothole, the suspension crashes hard and makes a loud thud sound. This happened to me at least 4-5 times.
I have also been facing a similar issue with my 1.6 CRDi Sx Fluidic. Even on speeds in the range of 40-50, if I go over a small pothole I hear a loud thud kind of a sound. This happens mostly from the front suspension.
I understand that the suspension is soft and wallowy and a lot of other things which are being continuously discussed here and elsewhere in multiple posts, this kind of a sound hasn't been reported by all ANHV owners. From the multiple posts I've read through on TBHP, hydswift (Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review), Vroom barabar! (Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review), phenomonstar (Hyundai Verna Fluidic Disappointment. And SOLD!) have reported similar sounds from their suspensions.
I have already tried taking my drive to Capital Hyundai in Noida where the Service Manager himself drove my car and concluded that a noise like this was pretty normal. He even told me that if there was a problem with the suspension I should start pushing it even harder which would make the problem more evident and easier to diagnose.

I think that Vroom Barabar! has already found a solution to the problem here (Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
I got a reply from Hyundai after my complaint on the suspension issue. They asked me to get the verna checked at the service centre.I went there and got it checked.

They thoroughly examined the vehicle's suspension and I was told by the service advisor that they have "Tightened a few screws in the suspension assembly" to make it more stiffer.

I tested it and to my surprise, the car's ride and handling has improved vastly. The problems that I had with the suspension crashing on potholes and making loud sounds have totally gone. The cabin is a much more comfortable place to be in .Though the suspension is still on the softer side but way better than before.The high speed ride has also improved and I pulled it through 130 kmph with much more confidence.

For now my major worries have been addressed and I am happy with the car as well as with Hyundai's quick response and delightful service. A big thumbs up to Hyundai!

The guys at the service centre said that I was the first to complain about this issue.I recommend all those who are facing this problem should get it fixed at the service centre and fall in love with their fluidic verna all over again!
wish we could get further details from him about what was really done to the suspension at Orion Hyundai.
ankitchhabra is offline   Reply With Quote