Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th October 2011, 17:38   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone tried the coil spring adjusters for the rear suspension as specified by GTO which was done on his Civic? I am sorry if I have already missed it.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:24   #1397
BHPian

Just tried going over 140 with 4 people on board on a curve. Reminds me of the nursery rhyme "Row row row the boat; GENTLY down the stream..."

Apologies for repeating the same well know rant.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:32   #1398
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post

Just tried going over 140 with 4 people on board on a curve. Reminds me of the nursery rhyme "Row row row the boat; GENTLY down the stream..."
Apologies for repeating the same well know rant.
I fail to understand what you are trying to prove. If you want drive like a rally driver, go and find another car on the rally circuit. First of all 140 kmph is not a safe speed in any condition on Indian roads and must not be condoned. Secondly you have four people and drive at 140 kmph speeds on curves, crazy or what? If you do not value your life please value other peoples lives, you might just kill an innocent bystander.

No Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:56   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I fail to understand what you are trying to prove. If you want drive like a rally driver, go and find another car on the rally circuit. First of all 140 kmph is not a safe speed in any condition on Indian roads and must not be condoned. Secondly you have four people and drive at 140 kmph speeds on curves, crazy or what? If you do not value your life please value other peoples lives, you might just kill an innocent bystander.

No Cheers

KPS
KPS: Mumbai Pune expressway: Average speeds are over 100kmph (conservative drivers) any day. What I am trying to say is that when I drive other cars like the Vento/Polo/Swift/Fabia on the same stretch of road, the handling is much much better, even on the curves

Next, this road supports these kinds of speeds on most stretches. Next time you in Mumbai, buzz me and we can go for a drive if you havent been on this road.

Finally, after buying a new car, everyone tries to experiment with the car to know the dynamics/handling etc. I am sure none of the reviews will be written if people stopped experimenting with their vehicles under different circumstances within limits. At no point in time was the car ever out of control and yes, there are no pedestrians/bystanders on the expressway

And the icing on the cake is, 10 years ago, I was driving my dads Omni at about 60 kmph. Was flagged down by the highway cops. I thought "Damn, was I overspeeding! The nice Marathi manus comes over and says, bhai sahab..this is the expressway. not the Sion Panvel highway. please drive faster."

The point I am trying to make is: Verna doesnt handle well at all at high speeds. My first hand experience. Thought of putting it down on the forums. KPS, no offence but a humble request is to not be judgemental. Please clarify before jumping to conclusions.People here are known to be mature while driving, lets just continue with the belief.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 20:03   #1400
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People here are known to be mature while driving, lets just continue with the belief.
Hi Shome

Sure

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 21:19   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai Pune expressway: Average speeds are over 100kmph (conservative drivers) any day.

And the icing on the cake is, 10 years ago, I was driving my dads Omni at about 60 kmph. Was flagged down by the highway cops. I thought "Damn, was I overspeeding! The nice Marathi manus comes over and says, bhai sahab..this is the expressway. not the Sion Panvel highway. please drive faster."
People here are known to be mature while driving, lets just continue with the belief.
While i agree with your other points, some points mentioned above doesn't gel with your statement. On one side you say average speed is 100kmph, which i am sure it is, but the posted limit is 80 kmph and still you were doing 60 kmph some 10 yrs back and endangering other drivers on road. 20kmph is huge difference, i wouldn't have said anything if you were doing 70-75, but 60 kmph in a 80 kmph zone is not 'mature' driving. It is advisable to stick to posted limits weather and road conditions permitting. If you want to over speed, its entirely your choice but i would surely not go slow than minimum posted limit due to safety and traffic reasons.

I am assuming that mumbai-pune expressway has posted speed limit of 80 kmph for cars and ~60 kmph for trucks. Correct me if i am wrong.

And now, since you are aware of verna's high speed limitation, i hope you will stick to speed where you feel safe and secure and not go again at 140 kmph.

Just my 2 cents.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 22:09   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this topic of Verna’s stability over 140 kmph is quite an over-discussed one. It’s very clear from the sales charts that it is not something which the targeted buyers are bothered of!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 00:05   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
While i agree with your other points, some points mentioned above doesn't gel with your statement. On one side you say average speed is 100kmph, which i am sure it is, but the posted limit is 80 kmph and still you were doing 60 kmph some 10 yrs back and endangering other drivers on road. 20kmph is huge difference, i wouldn't have said anything if you were doing 70-75, but 60 kmph in a 80 kmph zone is not 'mature' driving. It is advisable to stick to posted limits weather and road conditions permitting. If you want to over speed, its entirely your choice but i would surely not go slow than minimum posted limit due to safety and traffic reasons.

I am assuming that mumbai-pune expressway has posted speed limit of 80 kmph for cars and ~60 kmph for trucks. Correct me if i am wrong.

And now, since you are aware of verna's high speed limitation, i hope you will stick to speed where you feel safe and secure and not go again at 140 kmph.

Just my 2 cents.
Correct, 80 is the posted limit. And I was 18 back then and had just learnt to drive . Had to stick to the left lane under my Uncles watchful eyes. So I again agree with you, that was not "mature" driving .

Thank you for your analysis and comments.
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 01:07   #1404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Upto what speeds Verna is stable in a curve?

2. Does the handling improve with more passengers / weight in the car?

Quote:
And the icing on the cake is, 10 years ago, I was driving my dads Omni at about 60 kmph. Was flagged down by the highway cops. I thought "Damn, was I overspeeding! The nice Marathi manus comes over and says, bhai sahab..this is the expressway. not the Sion Panvel highway. please drive faster.
Never knew the expressway has been in place for 10 years ! Thought it was more like 3-4 years since commissioned. And is there a MINIMUM speed limit [80 kmph] on this road for LMVs?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 02:58   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct, 80 is the posted limit. And I was 18 back then and had just learnt to drive . Had to stick to the left lane under my Uncles watchful eyes. So I again agree with you, that was not "mature" driving .

Thank you for your analysis and comments.
In my opinion, 60 kmph is as dangerous as 140 kmph on a curve with 4 passengers. Either ways, it doesn't reek of maturity. It does reek of our passion for driving and little bit of 'racing driver kick we get', which sometimes can be both good and bad. Will leave it to you to decide.

BTW, Did you happen to also see/test at what speed were you and other 4 passengers comfortable in verna on expressways? Would love to hear that. I hope it can do 100-120 kmph with ease without giving boat-type feel. The only reason i asked is, its going to be added to our stable sometime next year, so just wanted a heads up.

Last edited by chevelle : 26th October 2011 at 03:06.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 08:09   #1406
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, Did you happen to also see/test at what speed were you and other 4 passengers comfortable in verna on expressways? Would love to hear that. I hope it can do 100-120 kmph with ease without giving boat-type feel. The only reason i asked is, its going to be added to our stable sometime next year, so just wanted a heads up.
I have done more than 2000 kms on the highway with various loads. The car has never given me any cause of concern and has been very comfortable. I normally drive in the 100-120 range as I am mileage conscious. The engine and gear box is just superb and it is a really pleasure to drive.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 10:54   #1407

Having driven the Verna more than 6000 kms on the highway, I would say the handling and stability of the Verna is not that bad as it is made out to be. Kerala road conditions only permit 80-100 Kmph at the max on most stretches. At those speeds, there is not much to complain about with 1/2/4 people on board. Rear seat passengers (my parents in most cases) have never complained about the ride. There have been instances where I had to slam the brakes hard to make quick stops and the car has never stepped out of line till date. At these speeds, with a light foot, my beauty always returns a consistent mileage of 24-25 kmph on MID.
manumike is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 14:54   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. Upto what speeds Verna is stable in a curve?

2. Does the handling improve with more passengers / weight in the car?

Never knew the expressway has been in place for 10 years ! Thought it was more like 3-4 years since commissioned. And is there a MINIMUM speed limit [80 kmph] on this road for LMVs?
1. Stability is really good till about 110-120kmph

2. I guess not. Havent driven upto those speeds alone but I assume it can only be worse. But for a daily use vehicle, it's really comfortable

The expressway was completed in 2002. Sections are open to public since 2000

Quote:

As mentioned above. The passengers never complained till the body roll started at about 130 and then was inbearable at 140 over the curves. Honestly speaking, speeds like that will only be reached when you are trying to know your car better. IMHO, Verna is a very good car to go for when you consider the comfort and the features that you get for the cost. Very good VFM.

I bought this car for my dad and he barely drives over 100. So the comfort and features are sufficient for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumike View Post
Having driven the Verna more than 6000 kms on the highway, I would say the handling and stability of the Verna is not that bad as it is made out to be. Kerala road conditions only permit 80-100 Kmph at the max on most stretches. At those speeds, there is not much to complain about with 1/2/4 people on board. Rear seat passengers (my parents in most cases) have never complained about the ride. There have been instances where I had to slam the brakes hard to make quick stops and the car has never stepped out of line till date. At these speeds, with a light foot, my beauty always returns a consistent mileage of 24-25 kmph on MID.
Agreed. Below 100kmph, this car is very comfortable. I might also add that the light steering isnt as bad as people think. It weighs up quite well at speeds and does not give the feeling that you are playing NFS. Brakes are really good as mentioned. No wonder the sales are still going up.
Shome is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 15:55   #1409
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The stability of any car is subjective. The judgement depends on what is it being compared against. What was the person driving earlier.

I for one found the Verna to be good at City speeds on smooth roads. At slow speeds and bad roads, body roll is pronounced. This could be felt more at the back. With four people in the car, it loses composure even at 80 kmph when going over uneven surface, which is more common than not on our highways.

I drive a FORD with good handling and stability in its DNA and hence my judgement is based on that. For me, a Verna is a definite NO, but this will not be the case for others.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 14:51   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Has anyone tried the coil spring adjusters for the rear suspension as specified by GTO which was done on his Civic? I am sorry if I have already missed it.

RaVan.. here's the link on that .. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2542094 (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)
junkishya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote