Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 15:31   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,057 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
@ Swiftnfurious: Thanks for your valuable feedback. As I understand, you have upgraded from Swift to Verna.
I was wonderng what made you ask for the comparo till I saw the below post. FYI, I still have only the Swift D with me.

Regarding the highway speed of Swift, I feel 120 kmph is BEST suited for highway drive. I have the 185 section tyres and @ 140 kmph, the car starts to bounce & beyond that, it looks like the car will tear apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
4000 KM ownership review:

When trying to upgrade my car from Swift, I have shortlisted, Altis, Vento, SX4, and Verna since all have diesel variants and I was looking only for a diesel car.
We would have loved to see a complete ownership review thread from you. Or is it already there?
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 15:54   #1427
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 34
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Travelled around 250 km, 100% AC, 60% NH & 40% city, MID was showing FE of 16.2 km/lit, but it actually returned 14.2 km/lit ( TFM). It appears MID shows approx 1.5 to 2 km/ lit more than the actual FE. Is it same way for other Verna Diesels as well?
Thanks
Completed 3k km yesterday. Topped up and found actual mileage to be 14.8 whereas MID showed 16.5 kmpl. So yes, I would say its a little optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
The auto lock feature after you cross 40kmph is available. Just that its deactivated in the new car. Go to the service center and get it activated. Its a 2 min job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
The doors autolock in mine right since delivery. Also, I think the speed is adjustable. Mine autolocks in betwen 15-20 kmph. Contact the service center and they will do this for you.
Thanks, auto lock doesn't work on my Verna but will check with Service center at the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
There are so many fluidic Verna users reporting in here, why isnt there as much ownership threads?

Requesting all the owners of the new Verna to post their ownership threads as the car has got a bashing in this forum and I guess the individual threads will balance out the negative impressions of the car.
Internet car forums are typically more enthusiast oriented and any car that has a soft suspension not be as popular as others. I will start an ownership thread soon but dont expect it today
wolfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 18:22   #1428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Sorry Swiftnfurious, the comparision request between Swift & Verna diesels was meant for hydswift. I am stupid.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 07:18   #1429
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,848
Thanked: 3,236 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Looking at the October sales charts looks like the Verna continues to shine

Indigo + Manza - 6268
Maruti Dzire - 5001
Hyundai Verna - 4217
VW Vento - 3474
Honda City - 3376

Mahindra Verito - 1818
Ford Classic - 1549
Nissan Sunny - 1340
Ford Fiesta - 608
Maruti Sx4 - 320
GM Optra - 235
Fiat Linea - 127

The chief competitors for the Verna are in BOLD. Expect that Verna to strengthen as the diesels would be in more demand due to another fuel hike. Waiting period quoted in Bangalore for the diesel is 6-8 months. Expect deliveries between 4-6 months depend on the model/colour. Surprisingly petrol too has a 4 months waiting. My neighbour has booked a VTVT 3+ months back and delivery is expected this month. Hyundai should ramp up Verna production considering City production will be weak due to Thailand floods and VW's inability to ramp up numbers. Unless Ford reprices the Fiesta it cannot wean away prospective Verna customers

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 07:24   #1430
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Can anyone suggest a good central locking alarm system for my SX 1.6 CRDi. A simple system will do for me.
shenoytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 12:01   #1431
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

What is the difference you see in the Instant FE display when you switch on the AC and when it is off?
gandavadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 15:40   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,162
Thanked: 5,057 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Can anyone suggest a good central locking alarm system for my SX 1.6 CRDi. A simple system will do for me.
Autocop / Xenos are the most common after market alarm systems avalable. Please check with your Hyundai dealer which one are they using and you could go for the same from some accessories shop - might keep warranty intact. I vote for Autocop system [some models have good features like auto window roll up when you lock the car] & have a gut feeling that Hyundai also uses this for dealer fitment.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 11:29   #1433
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Dear All,

Regarding speed sensing auto lock of doors which has been narrated in the manual at page no. 6/15 ( or there about), auto lock of doors will be activated (if equipped)once the car reaches a speed of 15 kmph, i. Referring to the site of Hyundai, it is understood that this feature comes with SX (O) verson & not in SX. Those who have reported earlier that their autolock is working must have SX(O) version. Mine is SX, so this has nothing to do with the service station.

SX owners: If any one's speed sensing auto lock of doors are working?

Cheers
Chitta Pradhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 12:34   #1434
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,425
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

i have 2 brochures taken a month apart from a Hyundai dealership in South Delhi , in the older one procured in July or so auto lock is available in the SX version as well , in the more recent brochure taken in September it is shown as only available in the Sx(O) version - maybe a misprint , or maybe the feature was available on SX variants earlier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Dear All,

Regarding speed sensing auto lock of doors which has been narrated in the manual at page no. 6/15 ( or there about), auto lock of doors will be activated (if equipped)once the car reaches a speed of 15 kmph, i. Referring to the site of Hyundai, it is understood that this feature comes with SX (O) verson & not in SX. Those who have reported earlier that their autolock is working must have SX(O) version. Mine is SX, so this has nothing to do with the service station.

SX owners: If any one's speed sensing auto lock of doors are working?

Cheers
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 13:48   #1435
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,544
Thanked: 1,076 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Looking at the October sales charts looks like the Verna continues to shine

Indigo + Manza - 6268
Maruti Dzire - 5001
Hyundai Verna - 4217
VW Vento - 3474
Honda City - 3376

Mahindra Verito - 1818
Ford Classic - 1549
Nissan Sunny - 1340
Ford Fiesta - 608
Maruti Sx4 - 320
GM Optra - 235
Fiat Linea - 127

The chief competitors for the Verna are in BOLD. Expect that Verna to strengthen as the diesels would be in more demand due to another fuel hike.
.

Agreed that sales are high, but its more because of more engine options IMO. 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel, 1.4 diesel, 1.4 petrol. This makes 4 engine options. SX4 has 2, Fiesta has 2, Honda City has 1 ( and numbers are pretty amazing ), VW vento has 2. So Verna practically has double the engine options. Compare it this way : 1.4 version sales with Dzire, Etios, Tata Manza and 1.6 version sales with Vento, City, SX4, Fiesta and this will give a clear picture IMO.

The best performer here IMO is Honda City as even with one engine AND increasing petrol prices, this car managed to sell more than 3000 units. Incredible performer to say the least.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 00:04   #1436
BHPian
 
junkishya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 140
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Mileage for the the 1.6 VTVT is increasing as the car crunches more and more miles. Till abt 500kms, the FE was about 11-11.5. Now crossed 1000kms and the FE has definitely increased to about 12.5 kmpl
Hey Shome,

I guess you have been lighted footed on the car will 1000 kms hence the less milege. I had the same experience till around 2000 kms, till I drove to Bangalore from Hyderabad and back. On B'lore - Hyd highway, I sure used the right leg as much as I could, drove the car till around 5500 rpm !! Now I'm well over 7800 kms and have been consistently getting around 12 kmpl in Hyd city. I fill up at the same petrol pump and go a math on the milege manually too to compare the MID figures (shows 12.4 - 12.5). The actual milege is less by about 0.3 - 0.4 kmpl.
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 08:04   #1437
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,848
Thanked: 3,236 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
.

Agreed that sales are high, but its more because of more engine options IMO. 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel, 1.4 diesel, 1.4 petrol. This makes 4 engine options. SX4 has 2, Fiesta has 2, Honda City has 1 ( and numbers are pretty amazing ), VW vento has 2. So Verna practically has double the engine options. Compare it this way : 1.4 version sales with Dzire, Etios, Tata Manza and 1.6 version sales with Vento, City, SX4, Fiesta and this will give a clear picture IMO.

The best performer here IMO is Honda City as even with one engine AND increasing petrol prices, this car managed to sell more than 3000 units. Incredible performer to say the least.

The answer lies in your reply. Clearly Hyundai has its ear to the ground and is listening. It has demonstrated that time again that the Indian customer is important and gives the latest car with all the feature available globally and multiple engine options. Verna is being produced to full capacity.

Honda has been an arrogant manufacturer believing that the Honda brand is too big and that the Indian public will buy what they dish out at premium pricing. Though they have sold 3376 cars, it almost 50% of their production capacity!
Their pricing strategy, lack of diesel and Thailand floods will ensure that Honda will loose substantial ground and would strengthen Hyundai Verna as the petrol Verna's too are selling.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:29   #1438
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 485 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
4000 KM ownership review:


Overall: I am very happy with the buy. Very peppy engine and love the extra power. The engine noise is very low inside the car which makes the interior very comfortable. Definitely a head turner so far where ever I go with its stunning looks. :-) If anyone has any specific questions, I will be happy to provide more information.
Please start an ownership thread of your own in the test-drives section. It will help others a lot to make their decisions.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:50   #1439
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 229
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The answer lies in your reply. Clearly Hyundai has its ear to the ground and is listening. It has demonstrated that time again that the Indian customer is important and gives the latest car with all the feature available globally and multiple engine options. Verna is being produced to full capacity.

Honda has been an arrogant manufacturer believing that the Honda brand is too big and that the Indian public will buy what they dish out at premium pricing. Though they have sold 3376 cars, it almost 50% of their production capacity!
Their pricing strategy, lack of diesel and Thailand floods will ensure that Honda will loose substantial ground and would strengthen Hyundai Verna as the petrol Verna's too are selling.

Cheers

KPS
+1 to that. I am at a loss for words on Hondas' strategy. Firstly, no Diesel. Nhen we had the premium pricing and finally a facelift in the near future with no major or meaningful updates.

Honda milked a lot of money in the last decade by giving their brand a premium image. But I don't think that strategy will work anymore in India atleast. The Indian consumers have a lot more options and mind you, cheaper ones which are equally good.

Honda...wake up!!!
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:57   #1440
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
.

Agreed that sales are high, but its more because of more engine options IMO. 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel, 1.4 diesel, 1.4 petrol. This makes 4 engine options. SX4 has 2, Fiesta has 2, Honda City has 1 ( and numbers are pretty amazing ), VW vento has 2. So Verna practically has double the engine options. Compare it this way : 1.4 version sales with Dzire, Etios, Tata Manza and 1.6 version sales with Vento, City, SX4, Fiesta and this will give a clear picture IMO.

The best performer here IMO is Honda City as even with one engine AND increasing petrol prices, this car managed to sell more than 3000 units. Incredible performer to say the least.
If Verna Diesel was available off the shelf or low waiting (4-6 weeks max), I can bet City wouldn't be moving more than 1500-2000 per month.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review Stratos Official New Car Reviews 387 5th July 2016 11:49
Hyundai Verna 1.5 CRDi Diesel Automatic Test Drive - My Views VSG12777 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 12th January 2011 10:43
Hyundai Verna(VGT) test drive(torture drive) tsk1979 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 3rd October 2008 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks