Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 15:26   #1471
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 229
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

I am due for my Verna's first servicing. I would like to get this installed at the same time. please let us know what you find out after your visit today.
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 22:04   #1472
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
I am due for my Verna's first servicing. I would like to get this installed at the same time. please let us know what you find out after your visit today.
I got another call today. They want us to wait since the unit is still being tested for functionality apparently. I don't know why this is necessary since its from Hyundai itself. Either ways I'm expecting a call on monday.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 20:04   #1473
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
The stock speakers are 6.25 or 5.25 afaik. After installing the speakers on the tray, the fader was set at the centre.

The speakers cost 4.5k IIRC from Satya (EVO/Blueraven) I bought several other bits from him and cant remember the split. The tray work cost me just 1k all inclusive because I took it directly to the guy who makes the MDF boxes for the wood cutting and then to the guy who does my upholstery for the pleather covers and mounting. Absolute value for money.

Today came from a 600 km drive to Bhubaneswar & back. Visited car decor shop for upgradation of audio & fixing a relay since I have changed the bulbs to Philips Rally 100/90w.

Relay of hally make was available costing 4k. The shopkeeper told apart from safety of the wirings etc., it will further brighten the light. The fixing would require holes on the back cover of the head light assembly. I refused to do so since after the hole is made, there is every chance of water entering the console. He however assured me that the hole will be suitably plugged. Are relay fixed this way? Which relay should I go for & what's the approx. cost. 4K seems to be on higher side.

About rear speakers ,the way you have done, no shop seem to be comfortable modifying that way. I too am not very keen to cut the original tray. I tried changing the rear door speakers with Polk speaker of 6.5". The stock speaker looked like 5" size. I asked the shop boy to connect one Polk speaker only at the rear & then I compared that upgraded one with the stock at the other end. To my surpise, there was almost no difference. Then I dropped the idea. It seems rear sound output has been set very low in the HU. How you get almost equal sound output from both front & rear with fader at the centre?

Then the shop keeper suggested me to go for 6.5" rear speakers of Hertz make which come with amplifier. I saw that. the amplifiers were small in size. The shopkeeper informed me both amp. & the speakers can be accomodated within the rear door console. Price for a pair is a whopping 17K. I don't think it will be VFM.

If a bass tube in the boot is fixed can I get the desired feel? I need bass & rear fill. The JBL bass tube is costing around 11K including installation & that of Sony about 9k. What is your & the forum's opinion?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 22:09   #1474
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
How you get almost equal sound output from both front & rear with fader at the centre?
Its all got to do with the position of the speakers. The rear door speakers are set in such a location that sound doesn't reach the driver in the way it ought to. Even if you move the stock speakers to the tray, it will make a huge difference! Try it.

I don't know why the shops are uncomfortable to do it. Its a simple enough process and involves not cutting any metal on the car. The rear tray is a cheap part to replace if ever you choose to go back to stock. Unlike cutting metal, this is not a permanent change.

About the headlamps, I would suggest you not to do anything which involves cutting the weather resistant cover till you can find a replacement. Try Osram NPBs or Philips extreme vision. Both of these offer considerably better output than the stock bulbs without risking moisture on the lamp assembly. I have the NBPs on my car since day one and have done several all night highway trips without much complaint. The problem is the glare from oncoming traffic. No headlight upgrades will make you immune to that.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:40   #1475
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

[quote=Tassem;2583811]

I don't know why the shops are uncomfortable to do it. Its a simple enough process and involves not cutting any metal on the car. The rear tray is a cheap part to replace if ever you choose to go back to stock. Unlike cutting metal, this is not a permanent change.

I am more inclined now towards Bass Tube in the boot & Amp since I feel it should produce more bass than speakers on rear tray. I should also get rid of the lack of rear feel.

What's your take on this?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:49   #1476
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I am more inclined now towards Bass Tube in the boot & Amp since I feel it should produce more bass than speakers on rear tray. I should also get rid of the lack of rear feel.
Well, Adding a sub will introduce more bass to your image, but it will not create rear fill. Bass from a Sub is not directional. By that I mean, you can't normally pinpoint where the bass is coming from. It just makes the music sound fuller. This of course is governed by the crossover frequency.

You still wont hear anything from the back. The speakers on the tray are not for bass. They're so that I can hear music in a a surround environment. I have a woofer in the boot for the bass.

The question is - Are you looking for more bass or rear fill? If its just bass, the tube will sort you out.

Last edited by Tassem : 20th November 2011 at 23:52.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:42   #1477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Well, Adding a sub will introduce more bass to your image, but it will not create rear fill. Bass from a Sub is not directional. By that I mean, you can't normally pinpoint where the bass is coming from. It just makes the music sound fuller. This of course is governed by the crossover frequency.

You still wont hear anything from the back. The speakers on the tray are not for bass. They're so that I can hear music in a a surround environment. I have a woofer in the boot for the bass.

The question is - Are you looking for more bass or rear fill? If its just bass, the tube will sort you out.
You seem to a master really.

I need both bass & rear fill. Let me first install the bass tube in the boot & see what difference it makes. I do n't think bass tube in the boot would be as effective as subwoofers on rear tray because of the obvious barrier between the boot & the car's cabin. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any idea how relays can be fixed without cutting the protective cover. In carwale, Dr. Jagdish has installed one such kit , but has informed me that the mechanic has made a cut in the protective cover so that wires of the kit can go inside for connection. I am dead against cutting that cover.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 14:43   #1478
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I need both bass & rear fill. Let me first install the bass tube in the boot & see what difference it makes. I do n't think bass tube in the boot would be as effective as subwoofers on rear tray because of the obvious barrier between the boot & the car's cabin. Correct me if I am wrong.
Well I think I managed to confuse you.

Firstly we're not installing sub woofers in the rear tray. I'm not saying it can't be done. If we find a 6" Subwoofer, a free air setup can be adopted. But that's not the case here.

Here, we're are installing speakers on the rear tray. This will take care of rear fill. Then a subwoofer with an independent enclosure in the boot to provide bass.

Bass frequencies will travel from the boot through the seat and into the cabin. Don't worry about that.

Makes sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Any idea how relays can be fixed without cutting the protective cover. In carwale, Dr. Jagdish has installed one such kit , but has informed me that the mechanic has made a cut in the protective cover so that wires of the kit can go inside for connection. I am dead against cutting that cover.
Thanks
The cutting is not to accommodate the relay. Its for the thicker cables that power the higher wattage bulbs. At present, that cap cannot be bought separately. So I would strongly advise you against any cutting. Take a look at Osram NBP if anyone you know has it installed.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 20:06   #1479
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Well I think I managed to confuse you.

Firstly we're not installing sub woofers in the rear tray. I'm not saying it can't be done. If we find a 6" Subwoofer, a free air setup can be adopted. But that's not the case here.


Bass frequencies will travel from the boot through the seat and into the cabin. Don't worry about that.
Buddy, you got me wrong or I did not make things clear. I have no idea of installing a subwoofer in my Verna's tray. I just wanted to compare the 12" subwoofer installed in my earlier car's rear tray ( Wagon-R) to the bass tube to be fixed in the boot of my Verna Fluidic. Will the performance be similar?

Anothor question: Should I go for the cylindrical shape of bass tube or box type of sub woofer encloser? Which one is better?

During my last visit to Bhubaneswar, I got one of the rear sensors changed under warranty, which had stopped working few days back. The bill was NIL. Cost of each sensor is around Rs.1400/- as understood from the service advisor.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 20:17   #1480
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Buddy, you got me wrong or I did not make things clear. I have no idea of installing a subwoofer in my Verna's tray. I just wanted to compare the 12" subwoofer installed in my earlier car's rear tray ( Wagon-R) to the bass tube to be fixed in the boot of my Verna Fluidic. Will the performance be similar?

Anothor question: Should I go for the cylindrical shape of bass tube or box type of sub woofer encloser? Which one is better?

During my last visit to Bhubaneswar, I got one of the rear sensors changed under warranty, which had stopped working few days back. The bill was NIL. Cost of each sensor is around Rs.1400/- as understood from the service advisor.

Thanks
Well I do not know how well a free air setup performs in the Wagon R and hence I can't compare. But usually (I'm stereotyping here) Free air setups tend to be boomy.

As far as Tube vs Box, as long as the enclosure is designed for the sub, there should not be a major difference in performance. But I prefer the box for the simple reason that it does not need to be tethered to the boot walls. Go to a reputed installer and get an enclosure made to the sub's specifications. Also some subs prefer a ported enclosure. Vented ones tend to be boomy while sealed enclosures will give you tighter bass.

I suggest you put up a thread in the ICE Section. If we continue here, the posts may be removed

Last edited by Tassem : 21st November 2011 at 20:20.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 20:23   #1481
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Chitta,

This happens to me only when I use the cheapest pen drive I have. It doesn't happen on any of the others. Also when I turn on the car, the first song starts playing automatically.

Get a good kingston/corsair/transcend/sandisk etc. I have a ton of pen drives and the car does this only with my el cheapo verbatim 4gb drive. Rest everything works fine.

On a different note,

I installed new alloys.. (more pics in garage)
I tried with a 4 gb transcend pendrive, but the problem still persists. Interestingly enough the HP ( small one) 4 gb & transcend 4 gb behaved differently in the same music system. I fail to understand the reason. Find below the difference.

HP (Small size) 4 GB

1.The song starts where it had stopped which is more convenient.
2. After starting the car, you have to swich on the system to listen the music even when the pen drive is in the slot.

Transcend(regular size) 4 GB

1. Always it starts from the beginning

2. Here it starts playing automatically if pen drive is in the slot once you start the car

Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 21st November 2011 at 20:28.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 20:32   #1482
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I tried with a 4 gb transcend pendrive, but the problem still persists. Interestingly enough the HP ( small one) 4 gb & transcend 4 gb behaved differently in the same music system. I fail to understand the reason. Find below the difference.

HP (Small size) 4 GB

1.The song starts where it had stopped which is more convenient.
2. After starting the car, you have to swich on the system to listen the music even when the pen drive is in the slot.

Transcend(regular size) 4 GB

1. Always it starts from the beginning

2. Here it starts playing automatically if pen drive is in the slot once you start the car

Thanks
The HP is working as designed. The transcend is not. The cheap Verbatim drive I mentioned has the same problem as your transcend. The system should not start playing automatically and it should remember where you stopped playing.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 23:53   #1483
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

I feel this could be because one of the drives has been formatted on a PC. There's hidden auto confit files factory loaded on most pen drives.

Try this and see if the behavior changes - http://www.transcend-info.com/Suppor...=3&Func2No=205
If not will try look for the HP format tool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan

I tried with a 4 gb transcend pendrive, but the problem still persists. Interestingly enough the HP ( small one) 4 gb & transcend 4 gb behaved differently in the same music system. I fail to understand the reason. Find below the difference.

HP (Small size) 4 GB

1.The song starts where it had stopped which is more convenient.
2. After starting the car, you have to swich on the system to listen the music even when the pen drive is in the slot.

Transcend(regular size) 4 GB

1. Always it starts from the beginning

2. Here it starts playing automatically if pen drive is in the slot once you start the car

Thanks
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:22   #1484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Tried Installing Autocop module today at Sachin's Autoshop. After spending a good 5 hours, the System did not work. While it beeped and locked the door, the manual opening of the door did not set out the alarm. The service guy from Autocop arrived later and failed to check the fault. They wanted to experiment further for which I refused.

Let me know if there is anyone with experience of installing this System on their this car.
shenoytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:26   #1485
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Tried Installing Autocop module today at Sachin's Autoshop. After spending a good 5 hours, the System did not work. While it beeped and locked the door, the manual opening of the door did not set out the alarm. The service guy from Autocop arrived later and failed to check the fault. They wanted to experiment further for which I refused.

Let me know if there is anyone with experience of installing this System on their this car.
Hey, Sorry I could not reply to your pm. Every time I tried, it threw an error and then I just gave up. Advaith has the units tested and ready for installation. It comes with 2/3 years warranty. They quoted 3500, but then came down to 2800 because I have a friend there. Unfortunately they cannot have it installed onsite and we must take our cars.

The only gripe is that the unit does not have silent arm/disarm. Its important to me, but the benefits outweigh the issues.

Send me your phone number. We'll go down this Saturday and get it installed.

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 23rd November 2011 at 18:28.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review Stratos Official New Car Reviews 387 5th July 2016 11:49
Hyundai Verna 1.5 CRDi Diesel Automatic Test Drive - My Views VSG12777 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 12th January 2011 10:43
Hyundai Verna(VGT) test drive(torture drive) tsk1979 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 3rd October 2008 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks