Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 6th June 2011, 20:39   #166

Smile Re: Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review

I take back everything!
Everyone please go and take a look at the car.
It's gorgeous, and huge.
Definitely better than cruze and altis.
I still wish the diesel was fully loaded but really even at that price its a good buy!
We will certainly see a few of them around!
Waiting for a test drive now which should be in a few days!
saty is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 19:22   #167
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review

I have driven quite some Renaults especially Mégane back home (Germany) and it was always kind of a tradeoff between nice engines/good FE/funky design but poor interior quality and exterior parts.

Since I know Marc Nassif / Head of Renault and spoke with him once about Renault/Nissan move to India I really find it surprising that they only start introducing their actual perfect cars for Indian conditions (price, quality, design) - the Dacias in 2012 with the Dacia Duster.

But I know for a fact that the joint agreement with Mahindra was a very very poor idea and not very wasnt supported by many descision makers. Anyway now this bad move is over. The Logan was the worst possible choice for introducing the brand in India (not even a Renault but a Dacia).

To check what they could have easily started withNeuwagen Modellpalette - DACIA(sorry site in German only but pictures dont need a language ) (but I am sure they just werent ready to share design and platform with Mahindra thus only the outdated Logan got into the partnership). Expensive test for Renault/Nissan since they lost about 3 years against VW / FIAT.

The Fluence is a different picture altogether. I have no idea how they wanna battle Skoda Laura for the affluent buyer or Altis for more conservative buyers. again I really believe they should have focussed purely on the Dacia Duster in 2011 and price it around 7-8 Lakh (will be a killer in the market dominated by Bolero/Skorpio).

Lets see if the forum is right about Fluence seeing only poor sales numbers. That what I believe at least.
YellowEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 23:20   #168
BHPian

The Renault showroom is in the ground floor of my office building (Time Tower, M.G.Road) and I went to have a look. Frankly, I think the vehicle is overpriced. Looks are fine, but the basic features in the car do not justify a high price tag. I would pick up a Verna anyday in comparison.
raj_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 09:47   #169
Senior - BHPian

I have not posted on this thread, but now that I have a bit of time, I would post what I wanted to post for long.

1) The car is overpriced, that is what I think. Fluence might have good interiors, space, etc. but by no means the car can command that much price. Banging into straight Corolla/Civic is very optimistic.

Fluence does not have a good powerful diesel that is required to move the car of this size. Why not Verna, vento then. Both the cars have good overall diesels, are cheaper and VW is oriented towards rear seat comfort too. Sure, the high speed manners and dynamics might be better in Fluence, but so what ? Cruze is alive and leading the segment IIRC.

Fluence lacks distinct advantage IMHO. Verna = features and looks, Vento = German depth of engineering and sober long lasting looks ( which will not age that quickly ), Honda City = very good motor, honda package, Cruze = needs no introduction, one of the fastest sedans below Rs. 15 lakh in diesel, overall more VFM compared to Skoda/VW, Cheverolet diesels are not new to market, hence certain amount of peace of mind compared to Renault.
Where does Fluence stand ?

2) Everybody is now behind premium due to margins. Straight away corolla/civic. And right now, both Corolla and Civic are overpriced IMO. They started off fine, but the prices have headed northwards very fast. Renault does not have that brand image still its going too high.
They should learn from Nissan. Nissan is a brand which was fairly known in India, they came in and then brought Micra. Considering the small network of dealers, Micra is doing consistent numbers. I wonder what Renault is upto.

3) Many have stated that Mahindra is not a good partner. They first broke with Ford, etc. But I have different veiws.
Renault ended its tie up with Mahindra, news are floating that Bajaj-Renault small car plans are going down the drain.

The Europeans must know how to operate in India.

Any potential customer will think twice before buying fluence as more established and better value competition products are present in the market.

Vento and Verna, they make these large cars powered by small units look overpriced ( including Corolla 1.4 diesel ).

The new Verna actually makes quite a few cars in the market feel overpriced, and thanks to Hyundai for this.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:53   #170
BHPian

Spotted Renault Fluence on road for the first time..
It surely has a road presence and headturner (as of now).
Beautiful front - sorry couldn't take pic.
Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review-fluence.jpg
Cheers!!
abhijeetsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 20:37   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the car at the Ambiance Mall, Gurgaon in black. They have displayed an automatic 2.0 L petrol Fluence. When asked they said the price will come to Rs 15 L on road in Gurgaon and for the 1.5 L manual diesel, they said the price will be Rs 14.25 L on road (Gurgaon).At the start these two versions will be launched it appears.
The car looks quite chic and the design is too good for a French car. The matured and cool looking design is least expected from the raunchy French designers who mostly get finalised eccentric designs with the least of scrutiny and moderation at higher levels. The Fluence is a welcome change.In the fit and finish department the paintwork and the chrome are quite upmarket. The car has alloys as standard fitment.The boot is cavernous and the car cover is also a giveaway to the buyer it appears.. The dash and the meters have quite an upmarket look. Rear legroom is good. There is another rear AC vent for the back seat passengers (who mostly call the shots in such cars)who have Forward Control (of the driver).
The car will compete with the likes of the Altis, Laura, Cruze, Sonata ( where is it now?),Civic and so on and Renault knows that this segment means more profits but the car should click! With the Logan they were treating us as a third world country and with the Fluence, we appear to be on a higher ground - kudos to Mr Carlos Gosn (not our dear Karlosdeville) for that.
Name:  DSC07514.JPG
Views: 3370
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  DSC07515.JPG
Views: 2680
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  DSC07516.JPG
Views: 2142
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  DSC07517.JPG
Views: 2133
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  DSC07518.JPG
Views: 2127
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  DSC07520.JPG
Views: 2081
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  DSC07521.JPG
Views: 2050
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  DSC07522.JPG
Views: 2055
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  DSC07523.JPG
Views: 2045
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  DSC07524.JPG
Views: 2036
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  DSC07525.JPG
Views: 2036
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  DSC07526.JPG
Views: 2006

Name:  DSC07527.JPG
Views: 1990
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  DSC07528.JPG
Views: 1983
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  DSC07529.JPG
Views: 2279
Size:  229.0 KB

Name:  DSC07530.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  233.6 KB

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th June 2011 at 20:43.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 22:30   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fluence down below!
Name:  DSC07534.JPG
Views: 1885
Size:  222.0 KB

Name:  DSC07535.JPG
Views: 1929
Size:  130.3 KB
Another view of the interiors
Name:  DSC07515.JPG
Views: 1906

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th June 2011 at 22:36.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 22:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car looks quite chic and the design is too good for a French car. The matured and cool looking design is least expected from the raunchy French designers who mostly get finalised eccentric designs with the least of scrutiny and moderation at higher levels. The Fluence is a welcome change.
Thanks for the pictures and sharing your balanced views, mate.

Even though I haven't seen this car, it seems to have personality, unlike many others around.

On paper, what it seems is that Renault has only taken care of people who want to be driven. Not ones who drive. Hope to hear of bigger engines and more variants.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 11:48   #174
BHPian

Also saw the Fluence in Ambience Mall this past weekend. I really liked it in terms of looks as well as front seat - I am self driven. Even the family like it both inside and out!

Though I would have liked it if they had a manual transmission option also in Petrol.

Having driven a Renault Megane in the UK for 5 years, I felt quite at home inside the Fluence, which apparently is based on the Megane platform.

However the price does seem a bit much! My eye is currently on the new Ford Fiesta, so the Fluence would be quite a budget stretch, and if I was to increase my budget, then all of a sudden I would have to put nostalgia aside and likely consider other cars as well like the Cruze / Altis!

Wonder how many it will sell in India.
Fusion2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 16:07   #175
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

the car really looks good. Fluence was displayed in Bangalore and Mumbai airports. saw it there.
mxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 16:50   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
However the price does seem a bit much! My eye is currently on the new Ford Fiesta, so the Fluence would be quite a budget stretch, and if I was to increase my budget, then all of a sudden I would have to put nostalgia aside and likely consider other cars as well like the Cruze / Altis!
In case you are considering a diesel, we are discussing Diesel Sedans upto 12L (innitially upto 9L) here (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L). A lot of focus has been on the Optra, which many even forget to consider , though it is a wonderful car.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 19:36   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Also saw the Fluence in Ambience Mall this past weekend. I really liked it in terms of looks as well as front seat - I am self driven. Even the family like it both inside and out!

Though I would have liked it if they had a manual transmission option also in Petrol.

Having driven a Renault Megane in the UK for 5 years, I felt quite at home inside the Fluence, which apparently is based on the Megane platform.
The Fluence does look like a capable car, but short on the variants provided. Hope Renault will remediate soon and come up with a fully loaded diesel, as well as MT option for petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
In case you are considering a diesel, we are discussing Diesel Sedans upto 12L (innitially upto 9L) here (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L). A lot of focus has been on the Optra, which many even forget to consider , though it is a wonderful car.
Cannot stop making a comment on this, but noticed that you’re propagating this specific thread (with the focus on Optra) in all possible avenues. A true blue Optra fan indeed
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 20:14   #178
BHPian

I saw the car on road today. It looks stunning in flesh, has loads of character and is a real head turner. From a distance I mistook it for a Jaguar XF because of those wide tail lights. The car that I saw was white, but it had black body cladding! Is that standard? The cladding looked horrendous in my opinion.The car can definitely do with some wider tyres, the standard look too narrow especially when you look the car from behind. It has the potential to be a segment leader. Too bad Renault messed up the variants and pricing.
singhupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 20:40   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Cannot stop making a comment on this, but noticed that you’re propagating this specific thread (with the focus on Optra) in all possible avenues. A true blue Optra fan indeed
Even though it is OT, thought I should clarify here.

This thread in question was started as a What-Car thread to help me make my decision. The decision was made in the first few pages (I mainly wanted to check on Optra parts availability, share my TD experiences with others and seek comments on if I missed anything), though the purchase has gotten delayed. Kept this thread going as others seem to be following it to make up their mind. (more formally talked about in pg 15 there).

Though the merits of the Optra could be seen, they become more evident as the thread progressed. Also became evident that many people don't even consider this wonderful car for a TD.

Thought it would help others in taking a broader view of the options available if they went through this thread - especially people who were new (read with fewer posts, like Fusion2006 under 25 posts now). And yes, it seems to help people. Only a few hours before your post above we had this posted on the thread (link) (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)
---------------
"Poitive, after reading your thread (and Smartcat's comparison), i felt compelled to take a TD of the Magnum. And i must say i have to thank you guys for it! "

Followed by comments on 8 cars. Eventually coming to:

"So we are pretty much fixed on the Magnum for now, none of the other cars impressed us that much,"
---------------

So admittedly I am already an Optra fan/in love with it, even without owning it, it seems worthwhile pointing people to the thread who may find it useful

PS: Some 3-4 comparisons between different cars have been elaborated in the thread.
PPS: Like the Optra, the Fluence does seem to have a sense of character, from the pics atleast.

Last edited by Poitive : 27th June 2011 at 20:42.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 23:58   #180
BHPian

Spotted the Fluence at the Hyderabad and Mumbai airport today, they have displayed it airside in its own little installation. Lot of curious onlookers, everyone tried opening it but was locked. It looks solid, like a workhorse, a capable entrant to the segment however the pricing or features need to be rethought to build traction.

Moving curious onlookers to buyers is going to be an uphill batter at the current price feature set, however its better than any C segment so Renault should probably target the top end c segment buyer with this.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote