Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th May 2012, 12:43   #271

Default Re: Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review

Debcha,

A quick and precise review....

I could not agree with you more since i am also another proud owner and must have driven the farthest among BHPians with over 15k on the ODO within 5 months of purchase. (Will come around to post the first long-time ownership review soon..)

Much has been written about overpricing and turbolag which is what is now creating a perception that this indeed a white elephant.

For overpricing, all i can say is that one could not bargain for more when you get a car which is almost as large and in some cases more spacious than entry level luxury cars like C class,3 series and A4 but at a price which is half of what they sell for.

For the turbo lag, as with our Indian sensitivity, i have already got used to expecting what each of the gears will delvier. I know 3rd gear is just a two shifts away and after that i am half way into heavenly bliss.... Every single day when i take out my beauty.
kmsushil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 19:22   #272
BHPian

Hi Kmsushil,
Nice to hear about your purchase. You must have by now finished the first service. What all was done during the service, and how much did it cost?
Thanks
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 14:48   #273

Rameshdude,

I have always followed your posts with interest over the months.

Actually i have completed two services till date!!

First one was a tame affair.Paid only around 2500 for the usual routine checks and not much replacements.

The second one was a shocker though.

It came to around Rs 15k with ELF engine-oil alone costing around 6k. It seems that Renault has a global tie-up with Elf (You can see the barely noticeable,transparent Elf logo on the rear windshield) and that being imported,the overall cost was atleast double of what i really anticipated.

The rate at which i am going, i guess,i will end up spending a cool 30k every 8 months or so.

I also came to know that all Renault service managers across the country were actually taken to Paris for a one month training before Renault started their service operations in India.Atleast someone is doing homework and trying to understand a new product/technology etc.More than the technology,it seems that the orientation was more about the french way of doing things.

Whatever it was,the result seem like one fine product indeed.
Old 7th May 2012, 16:16   #274
BHPian

but couldn't they share the specification of the engine oil & leave it upto the customer to get a similar locally available branded oil?

Renault recommends Elf for their entire range of cars.
They can not all be expected to spend a whopper on imported oil?!
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 17:06   #275

I guess i was not given a choice. Neither did i insist on choosing my own engine oil.

In Bangalore, i was not sure where to go running around for a good alternative.

Hoping that this must be some optimised oil for this manufacturer/engine.

We will have to wait for experiences of other owners...
Old 8th May 2012, 20:21   #276
BHPian

Hi Sushil,
Diesel car services are expensive and generally most of us are ignorant about all this till we get the bill. But consider this, 15,000 kms done,and service cost Rs 15k. So one rupee per km, i think it is acceptable.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:23   #277
Senior - BHPian

Please refer below link for Overdrive Magazine's Drive report of the Fluence with the upgraded ECU & more power:

2012 Renault Fluence dCi 110 E4 road test - Overdrive

It just confirms that the car is more driveable (lesser frequent gear changes) & faster as compared to older version. But, mileage has gone down a bit. Overall the car is an improved bet.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 09:42   #278
Team-BHP Support

The upgraded Fluence does not have an increase in power but it has fixed the biggest flaw that the Fluence had, the insane turbo lag.

The customers who bought the older version of the Fluence put a lot of confidence in a new product and have taken a big gamble in getting a car with unknown service. Upgrading the engine to get rid of the turbo lag is a welcome move but existing buyers are left hanging and have no choice but to suffer with the turbo lag. I would feel cheated having bought a 16lakh car from a relatively new brand, only to have them upgrade it and fix the biggest flaw within a year of launch.

Renault being a new entrant should actually instill confidence in the buyers of the first batch of the cars by offering them the upgrade FREE of cost. This will work wonders as existing satisfied buyers are your best marketing agents.

This will go a long way for new buyers as well as existing buyers in instilling confidence in the brand.

It will also help their other products like Duster, Pulse and upcoming C segment sedan.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th June 2012 at 09:44.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 11:38   #279
BHPian

^^ true that.

The Turbo lag on that thing is a killer . You could stomp on the pedal , finish of a prayer and then much later, when you are least expecting it ; the rush will come.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 20:30   #280
BHPian

I had enquired with Renault service engineer. It seems, they have made some modification in the engine, rather than just some tuning. This work is pretty expensive as per them and hence cannot be done in the earlier cars. So sad. I have covered about 9000 kms. I don't find so much of turbo lag and clutch hardness. Maybe I must have got accustomed to it! After driving a petrol car for all these years, it takes some time to learn driving a diesel car. It is a different ball game all together. I still enjoy the heaviness of this European car and the plush drive. Hope in coming months, a tuning box would be available.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:47   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The customers who bought the older version of the Fluence put a lot of confidence in a new product and have taken a big gamble in getting a car with unknown service. Upgrading the engine to get rid of the turbo lag is a welcome move but existing buyers are left hanging and have no choice but to suffer with the turbo lag. I would feel cheated having bought a 16lakh car from a relatively new brand, only to have them upgrade it and fix the biggest flaw within a year of launch.
How much change in real world driveability do you expect after this upgrade? Some manufacturers like Chevrolet announce an ECU update to fix turbo lag as soon as people start complaining about it, I've driven both pre and post upgrade Cruze only notice very minor change, and despite the changes the new one has serious turbo lag further amplified by super tall gearing.

Nissan-Renault need to think beyond this basic dated 1.5 DCI engine. It's good for small cars and MUVs but to compete in this segment, they need something better.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th June 2012 at 21:49.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 21:52   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How much change in real world driveability do you expect after this upgrade? Some manufacturers like Chevrolet announce an ECU update to fix turbo lag as soon as people start complaining about it, I've driven both pre and post upgrade Cruze only notice very minor change, and despite the changes the new one has serious turbo lag further amplified by super tall gearing.
New turbo, new redesigned fuel injectors, new plumbing and ECU tweaks to bring 3bhp increase. Obviously the aim for so many changes was not to increase performance but to target the lag.

I plan to TD it over the weekend but the old one was an absolute pain to drive. Incase of Cruze the brute power took care of the lag but with 1.5L and 110bhp the Fluence was worse with turbo lag and no great shakes after that.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:36   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

How much change in real world driveability do you expect after this .
Well in the real world there is a marked difference in the driveability. The Turbo kicks in at arnd 2000 to 2100rpm in the older model and at around 1850 in the newer one. On paper it might sound less but makes a marked difference on the road.
mohandasnikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 22:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I booked a Fluence E2 Diesel this week. I have personally had a Laura LnK AT earlier and have a Jetta TL in the family now. I booked the car mainly because I couldn't find a better VFM Diesel Car.

My options and why I didnt choose them.
1. Toyota Corolla D: Underpowered and too staid. Taxi image.
2. Laura: Too long in the tooth, cramped rear, terrible A.S.S
3. Jetta: Too pricey, interiors a let down. (already have one )
4. Cruze: Too cramped in the rear, facelift imminent

I quite liked the quirkiness of the Fluence and the fact that it stands out on the road. Even though my car isnt delivered yet my interaction with Renault Customer Care has been good, though the Dealer hasnt been great.
The car is underpowered but extremely comfortable. The car looks huge and has a real presence on the road.
Hi
You seem to be the right person to answer my query.
I am in a dilemma deciding between D1 sedan / top of C2 and probably will have finance enough to go for a D1. I too have to decide between Laura / Jetta / Fluence. My query is this - having driven Jetta and Fluence and considering that occasions on which I will be driving very fast and needing all that power will be very few, (in all these last 10 yrs of my driving I have never crossed 130kmph as very few highways are suitable for this though I agree we will be seeing more highways getting converted to 4-6 lanes) Do you consider a underpowered Fluence a deal breaker? Will I have serious trouble overtaking on a highway? I have Diesel E4 automatic in mind.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 23:37   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
Hi
You seem to be the right person to answer my query.
I am in a dilemma deciding between D1 sedan / top of C2 and probably will have finance enough to go for a D1. I too have to decide between Laura / Jetta / Fluence. My query is this - having driven Jetta and Fluence and considering that occasions on which I will be driving very fast and needing all that power will be very few, (in all these last 10 yrs of my driving I have never crossed 130kmph as very few highways are suitable for this though I agree we will be seeing more highways getting converted to 4-6 lanes) Do you consider a underpowered Fluence a deal breaker? Will I have serious trouble overtaking on a highway? I have Diesel E4 automatic in mind.
There is no diesel automatic in the fluence as far as I know. Jetta is a tad pricey but still the better car compared to fluence. Fluence is adequately powered, but do check for turbo-lag. I have heard that it's better now with some minor changes made to the ecu & turbo.
shivasuma is online now   Reply With Quote