Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 01:55   #781
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

There is a lot of positive talk about how Ford has introduced an 'international' model in India. Provided (almost?) the same specs as it has in other developed markets.

One way to look at that is that they are treating us like a mature and developed market and that may give us reason to feel happy.

Another way to look at it is that it goes against some basic marketing principles. To give the market what it demands! If the Indian market is price sensitive, then it makes sense to provide models based on that. Especially if it is in tune with your company's brand positioning and history of success (Figo). It can also be seen as lack of enough focus on the Indian market.

Yes, some things need to be worked out across the range and those decisions can't have to be taken more broadly (say, making the chassis of a certain kind of material), however there are other decisions that can be customized from model to model. A model with lesser features. And some may dislike this - even without ABS and EBD. Yes safety is important, but do you really think Ford is doing some kind of a public service here? (if they were doing that, they would rather run educational campaigns on the benefit of ABS and EBD etc) Also consider that since there isn't a cheaper model available without ABS and EBD etc, prospective buyers are likely to go in for a different car altogether which is in their budget and even miss out on some other safety features like (possibly) better designed crumple zones etc (which can't really be changed from model to model). See how they worked that well with the Figo.

But then Ford seems to be trying to do this to position themselves as a premium brand. No public service here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while back on this or some other thread, there was talk about having more models with selected features and I had commented that making more and more variants would also cost the company in terms of processes, inventory management, etc and hence beyond a point it may not be viable. But when we have a Titanium and a Titanium+ model with little of no difference, one does think why they didn't make a more basic model.

Or maybe that is on the way, after gauging the market for a while!

Diwali/Festival time plans, Ford?
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 09:47   #782
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 544 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

I was so shocked by the pricing that I did not feel like even posting here. A wonderful opportunity to capture furiously growing C segment cars in India, went right down the drain. Who cares if it is Boron steel or not? (Boron sounds too similar to moron to me) - There are too many good cars without Boron steel. The key was to get the pricing right.

I could get a sense of this downward spiral when Ford released the engine specs. 1.5 liter diesel AT-LEAST makes a little sense in India perspective. But, why on earth bring a 1.5L petrol when you are pricing a car at such a premium? I can never convince my mind to pay such a money 104 BHP petrol car. They should have got the awesome 127 BHP 1.6L here. The only other low powered car that I can think of, that was priced higher was the rarely sold VW Jetta.

Ford tried it last time with the 68 BHP Diesel, and are trying their luck again with 90 BHP one. But, based on GTOs reviews and other reviews, there is a noticeable turbo lag, unlike the previous gem of 1.4TDCi engine which had almost ZERO lag. When competition is belting out 104 BHP / 127 BHP for their diesels, Ford comes around with a puny 90 BHP. Doesnt sound great even on paper. All this would have been forgiven but for a splendid pricing.

Ford is heading for a major flop-show, if I believe that I am still in the same India that I think I know of.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 09:57   #783
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

I am sure a lot of us have been left in the Lurch with the ridiculous pricing from Ford. For sure their cars handle well at high speeds, but majority of the population would be in the 80-95 km range wherein even the Verna should farewell.

Its going to be a tough sell for Ford, to survive they should provide better engine options and reduce the price.
Chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 10:13   #784
BHPian
 
nomadabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 343
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Paying 13lacs for a sub 100bhp engine when I can have my hands over Cruze LT? Long wait has definatly ended. Though the package has more of futuristic looks and functions.
Not my piece of cake.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 10:21   #785
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

What ever justification we give to the strategy ford was thinking of. Majority of the Customers would want to have a mid-variant of any vehicle that they purchase. And when you look at the price of that variant on the NFF we feel "shocked" to say the least.

The whole "variant-pricing" mix has been flawed. They really needed to have a lower variant and the pricing strategy should have shifted a variant lower to make this "fiesta" attractive. The Trend should have been priced at what they are asking for the style.

There can be no logical explanation for the current pricing (being a Fiesta replacement). While i agree it would be a good trend if people start buying such cars, however I would be amazed to see this car selling in good numbers at the current price.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:17   #786
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I could get a sense of this downward spiral when Ford released the engine specs. 1.5 liter diesel AT-LEAST makes a little sense in India perspective. But, why on earth bring a 1.5L petrol when you are pricing a car at such a premium? I can never convince my mind to pay such a money 104 BHP petrol car. They should have got the awesome 127 BHP 1.6L here. The only other low powered car that I can think of, that was priced higher was the rarely sold VW Jetta.

Ford tried it last time with the 68 BHP Diesel, and are trying their luck again with 90 BHP one. But, based on GTOs reviews and other reviews, there is a noticeable turbo lag, unlike the previous gem of 1.4TDCi engine which had almost ZERO lag. When competition is belting out 104 BHP / 127 BHP for their diesels, Ford comes around with a puny 90 BHP. Doesnt sound great even on paper. All this would have been forgiven but for a splendid pricing.
IIRC, Fiesta has the 108 bhp petrol as opposed to the 121 bhp 1.6L engine offered elsewhere. And you have forgotten the Corolla diesel with the 1.4L Diesel and 90 bhp output as well, though no one raves about the engine, I have not heard Corolla diesel users weep about it either, so it depends on how they perceive the car too.
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 14:12   #787
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
IIRC, Fiesta has the 108 bhp petrol as opposed to the 121 bhp 1.6L engine offered elsewhere. And you have forgotten the Corolla diesel with the 1.4L Diesel and 90 bhp output as well, though no one raves about the engine, I have not heard Corolla diesel users weep about it either, so it depends on how they perceive the car too.
One essential difference here, is where the appeal of the car lies.

Corolla diesel's appeal is in being a trouble free chauffeur driven experience. A sedate, practical, no-nonsense, point A to point B sedan.

Fiesta's appeal on the other hand is .. (need I even complete this on this thread? )

So while it may work for a Corolla, despite it's size, it may not be too welcome on the Fiesta
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 14:18   #788
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,158
Thanked: 5,039 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Its time that we start seeing some TD reports from our members ! And who is going to be the first one to get a Fiesta here in the forum? I am sure there are some people who have held on to their bookings or have made it after the price announcement. Would love to see some ownership reviews soon !
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 14:20   #789
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Its time that we start seeing some TD reports from our members ! And who is going to be the first one to get a Fiesta here in the forum? I am sure there are some people who have held on to their bookings or have made it after the price announcement. Would love to see some ownership reviews soon !
Metro Ford says the car will be available for test drive from 20th. For some of us tamilians, we do not buy the vehicle in this month due to the Hindu calendar. In case I go for this, hopefully after Aug 18th.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 15:54   #790
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 544 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
One essential difference here, is where the appeal of the car lies.

Corolla diesel's appeal is in being a trouble free chauffeur driven experience. A sedate, practical, no-nonsense, point A to point B sedan.

Fiesta's appeal on the other hand is .. (need I even complete this on this thread? )

So while it may work for a Corolla, despite it's size, it may not be too welcome on the Fiesta
You hit the nail on the head. Fiesta cannot compete with Corolla in terms of space, build quality or even features. Btw, I am in NO WAY in support of Corolla's anemic motor. They'll not get away with that in any other market.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:01   #791
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Fiesta cannot compete with Corolla in terms of space, build quality or even features. Btw, I am in NO WAY in support of Corolla's anemic motor. They'll not get away with that in any other market.
I see it a bit differently mate. Toyota saw an opportunity there. Of getting a frugal practical cheap to run car there. That it was at the cost of power - and that would not disturb a big enough chunk of the relevant target segment - they could make a more Fuel Efficient unit. I see that as them being customer focused. Market focused. And their doing so well in most segments shows that.

I feel Ford could learn from Toyota and keep it to more India Focused cars, than trying to make us Global! We have our needs, and if a company focuses on it, it gets rewards. Even Ford - with their Figo!

Let us see how the Fiesta story folds over a few months. They just may have gotten it right, though at first look it doesn't seem that way.

Edit: If you are looking for "un-anemic" motors - Cruze is the one to look at! And it you want to be chauffeur driven (like the Corolla) and still want a powerful motor - Optra Magnum. It has been VFM for a while. Now with Fiesta prices, it is a steal.

Last edited by Poitive : 16th July 2011 at 16:10. Reason: Edit,typo, corrected other errors
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:11   #792
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
One essential difference here, is where the appeal of the car lies.

Corolla diesel's appeal is in being a trouble free chauffeur driven experience. A sedate, practical, no-nonsense, point A to point B sedan.

Fiesta's appeal on the other hand is .. (need I even complete this on this thread? )

So while it may work for a Corolla, despite it's size, it may not be too welcome on the Fiesta
Great point there poitive But the review said that the Fiesta is not any where near sluggish, IIRC, so it might not be as big a deterrent as the price could be right?
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:20   #793
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Great point there poitive But the review said that the Fiesta is not any where near sluggish, IIRC, so it might not be as big a deterrent as the price could be right?
We seem to have made largely complimentary points, arvind. I was just bringing in a sense of perspective to the Corolla-Fiesta bit. I didn't get what was being put across in your last post.

PS: Am likely to be on phone (on t-bhp) now, so may not really be able to reply for a while now. Gosh! I am addicted
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:44   #794
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
We seem to have made largely complimentary points, arvind. I was just bringing in a sense of perspective to the Corolla-Fiesta bit. I didn't get what was being put across in your last post.

PS: Am likely to be on phone (on t-bhp) now, so may not really be able to reply for a while now. Gosh! I am addicted
My bad boss, I just read my post to find it isn't clear. My sincere apologies I actually meant, 'since the earlier Fiesta D with 68 bhp had quite a lot of takers, the new Fiesta with 90 bhp will find its takers too. That is not as big an issue as the starting price of 9.27 ex-showroom for the Diesel model is going to be. Had the car been priced a lakh lower, no many would've complained about the 90 bhp engine right?

PS: Yes yes, T-bhp is terribly addictive. Cant take your mind of it so very easily
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:07   #795
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 137
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

I visited to the ford showroom today to check out the Fiesta.

The drivers seat is a very well designed but it is very difficult to get-in and get-out of the car. I am 6'1.

Three on the rear bench is a strict no-no. With all this 13L price tag does not go well.
Adi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 160 12th December 2014 16:41
Bought a Ford Fiesta Sxi Premium without a Test Drive Rastapopoulos Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 171 1st December 2010 13:24
Ford Fiesta Sxi test drive below expectations Path_Finder Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 5 16th July 2008 23:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks