Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:02   #1321
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,158
Thanked: 5,038 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
My SA just informed me that Ford will offer 25 K discount for its oil burner from Dec 5, 2011 after the much advertised Ford midnight sale is over.

I was happy with the discount offered, but have asked the SA if they could reduce the Ex-showroom price of Titanium by another 13 K, which would bring it to 9.99 Lakhs. If this happens I would save another whopping 50K in taxes.
25K for diesel sounds too less for an optimistically overpriced car & compared to the 75K for petrol - I hope they give a better correction. You could try one thing - tell the dealer that if they don't give you the 13K reduction, you will opt for your own insurance. Now that should offset the dealer profit.I guess they might be making almost that much profit on the insurance. Why don't you try taking a quote from some of the insurance guys?

Or you could tell them that you will choose accessories for that 13-20K if they give discounts. That should make them happy and save your taxes too. Anyway keep us posted on your purchase.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd December 2011 at 20:05.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:21   #1322
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 923 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
25K for diesel sounds too less for an optimistically overpriced car & compared to the 75K for petrol - I hope they give a better correction. You could try one thing - tell the dealer that if they don't give you the 13K reduction, you will opt for your own insurance. Now that should offset the dealer profit.I guess they might be making almost that much profit on the insurance. Why don't you try taking a quote from some of the insurance guys?

Or you could tell them that you will choose accessories for that 13-20K if they give discounts. That should make them happy and save your taxes too. Anyway keep us posted on your purchase.
I'm getting Insurance outside anyways. I'm talking about the ex-showroom price. Sales tax is applicable on the ex-showroom price. Insurance, accessories and other add-ons come later on.
MAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:15   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,158
Thanked: 5,038 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Sales tax is applicable on the ex-showroom price. Insurance, accessories and other add-ons come later on.
I understand that taxes & insurance are on ex showroom prices. I also guess that the tax slabs are different for <10L & >10L ex showroom prices because of which you want a 9.99L ex showroom price?

I suggested that if dealer is not ready to kock off the extra 13K from the price to bring it down to 9.99L, tell them that you will buy some accessories for some amount [15-20K] if they discount 13K on ex showroom price. By doing this, you will make up the the dealer margin for the discount, you will still save the taxes - a WIN-WIN for both, dealer & you.

Note: What I mentioned is a way to haggle & bring down the cost to 9.99L. If they give the discount without any "push", be happy & take up the deal. What I wrote above holds good if the dealer is reluctant to offer further 13K discount.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd December 2011 at 21:18.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:22   #1324
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 923 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I understand that taxes & insurance are on ex showroom prices. I also guess that the tax slabs are different for <10L & >10L ex showroom prices because of which you want a 9.99L ex showroom price?

I suggested that if dealer is not ready to kock off the extra 13K from the price to bring it down to 9.99L, tell them that you will buy some accessories for some amount [15-20K] if they discount 13K on ex showroom price. By doing this, you will make up the the dealer margin for the discount, you will still save the taxes - a WIN-WIN for both, dealer & you.

Note: What I mentioned is a way to haggle & bring down the cost to 9.99L. If they give the discount without any "push", be happy & take up the deal. What I wrote above holds good if the dealer is reluctant to offer further 13K discount.
Got your point buddy. I had that in mind, but would push for the extra 13K I requested. If it does not come through, I would use your suggestion.

Sales Tax for cars below 10 Lakhs is 10%, whereas ST for cars 10 Lakhs and above is 15%. That is the reason I'm pushing for the ex-showroom to be below 10 lakhs.
MAS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:23   #1325
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,768
Thanked: 16,900 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

This is where Ford screwed up. By pricing the Diesel Titanium and Titanium + above 9.99L ex showroom they have priced themselves out of the segment. In many states the road tax for a car costing above 10L shoots up by close to 3%. This means more than 30K road tax more. In Bangalore it's 14% below 10L and 17% between 10 and 20L.

The Fiesta Diesel Trend variant costs 11.95L on road whereas the Titanium costs 12.78L. 83K more on road but the ex-showroom difference is only ~45K.

Compared to that the Vento is 9.78L ex-showroom for highline diesel.

If they were a little clever they would have made sure that they price it at a premium but not above the 10L upper limit.

If the Vento is 9.78L and Fiesta was 9.98L, I would go for the Fiesta even though the Vento has a better engine. Ford's chasis dynamics and extra features give it an edge over the Vento and worth the premium. But when you tell me to shell out 1L more for the Fiesta than a Vento, I'll think twice.

The Vento Highline Diesel costs 12.03L on-road whereas the Fiesta Titanium + Diesel is 13.08L on-road. Just not worth 1.05L more.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 23:13   #1326
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is where Ford screwed up. By pricing the Diesel Titanium and Titanium + above 9.99L ex showroom they have priced themselves out of the segment.

If the Vento is 9.78L and Fiesta was 9.98L, I would go for the Fiesta even though the Vento has a better engine. Ford's chasis dynamics and extra features give it an edge over the Vento and worth the premium. But when you tell me to shell out 1L more for the Fiesta than a Vento, I'll think twice.

The Vento Highline Diesel costs 12.03L on-road whereas the Fiesta Titanium + Diesel is 13.08L on-road. Just not worth 1.05L more.
I feel the same. When we drove the Fiesta Titanium+ TDCi last weekend, both Rideon and I agreed it felt better than anything else in the segment (except the Linea if you ignore its short gearing) but at the same time it was priced a little too close to the Cruze. If someone has that 1 lakh above the Vento, he might just add a lakh and a half more and get the Cruze.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 08:28   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If the Vento is 9.78L and Fiesta was 9.98L, I would go for the Fiesta even though the Vento has a better engine. Ford's chasis dynamics and extra features give it an edge over the Vento and worth the premium. But when you tell me to shell out 1L more for the Fiesta than a Vento, I'll think twice.
Totally agree. I mean, in our country many feel that the blue oval is a bit blue-collared compared to the likes of a VW, or even a Skoda. The Fiesta’s dynamics, ride characteristics are excellent, but a premium of 100K over competition is quite steep.

It will be interesting to see how the Fiesta fares in the overall ownership experience and maintenance. I will still go for a Fiesta if it fares well in that aspect.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 11:32   #1328
Newbie
 
nk1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
nk.. I am sorry for the wrong communication. I was asking about the central display in the dash board.



When i checked out the cars (many times) the seats in the Titanium are completely different when compared to the Trend version. Style and Trend get the "normal" seats (like the Fiesta classic), while Titanium had seats were longer with extra "wings" and i got a better thigh support in the Titanium.



This is a huge plus.



Will send you the mail now. You could also share your pics here.
MAS - apologies for the delayed response. Been crazy busy at work. Regarding your query about the seats - you could be right that they are different. The seat in the Titanium+ i test drove did indeed seem a little bit more snug. However I test drove a fiesta classic on that same day and the the seats were rather flat. i wear a belt clip for my BBerry and in the FIesta i have to take it off to sit comfortable.. the seat definitely are snug around you. Damn now that you said I want the other seat

Central Display shows all the information (a/c settings, door open etc., stereo settings etc.) A lot of features are missing from the Trend version.

Posted a few pics of the interior here : anff if anyone's interested. Some are low quality pics taken with my ipod at night.
nk1969 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 11:36   #1329
Newbie
 
nk1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I'm getting Insurance outside anyways. I'm talking about the ex-showroom price. Sales tax is applicable on the ex-showroom price. Insurance, accessories and other add-ons come later on.
MAS - Geting insurance from outside is a good idea. I did that too - dealer quoted 28.4k for basic insurance but I got bumper-to-bumper from AIG for 29.6k through my insurance reseller. Also opted out of extended warranty which came close to 10K - you can always purchase it later if needed.
nk1969 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 12:53   #1330
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 923 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post
Regarding your query about the seats - you could be right that they are different. The seat in the Titanium+ i test drove did indeed seem a little bit more snug. However I test drove a fiesta classic on that same day and the the seats were rather flat. i wear a belt clip for my BBerry and in the FIesta i have to take it off to sit comfortable.. the seat definitely are snug around you. Damn now that you said I want the other seat

Central Display shows all the information (a/c settings, door open etc., stereo settings etc.) A lot of features are missing from the Trend <Titanium?> version.

Posted a few pics of the interior here : anff if anyone's interested. Some are low quality pics taken with my ipod at night.
Thanks for the pictures. Very useful as the showroom car and the test drive car were both Titanium Plus. The seats are definitely different. I have taken the picture of your car seat and compared against the Titanium Plus car driven by our moderators.

With the discounts starting to come, i would upgrade to Titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1969 View Post
MAS - Geting insurance from outside is a good idea. I did that too - dealer quoted 28.4k for basic insurance but I got bumper-to-bumper from AIG for 29.6k through my insurance reseller. Also opted out of extended warranty which came close to 10K - you can always purchase it later if needed.
Thank you once again nk. The dealer has given a quote for insurance of 35,600 for the Trend and Rs. 37,001 for the Titanium. This would mean an almost 8K savings that can be used for Extended Warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-trend-seats.jpg  

Attached Images
 
MAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 13:57   #1331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

We took delivery of a Moondust Silver Fiesta Titanium+ Petrol last week. One more new Fiesta on Team Bhp. Supposed to go for a diesel but the offer we got on the Petrol was too good to resist. 9.75 on road for the Titanium+. We saw no point in spending 3 lakhs more for the Diesel.
shimoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 14:28   #1332
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,715
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
We took delivery of a Moondust Silver Fiesta Titanium+ Petrol last week. One more new Fiesta on Team Bhp. Supposed to go for a diesel but the offer we got on the Petrol was too good to resist. 9.75 on road for the Titanium+. We saw no point in spending 3 lakhs more for the Diesel.
Thats awesome! Congrats. Do start your ownership report soon and please upload lots of pics, will you?
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 15:45   #1333
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thats awesome! Congrats. Do start your ownership report soon and please upload lots of pics, will you?
I will. Just give me a week or so and I'll give a thorough report. Right now I'm having too much fun with the car.
shimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 22:56   #1334
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,669
Thanked: 923 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
We took delivery of a Moondust Silver Fiesta Titanium+ Petrol last week. One more new Fiesta on Team Bhp. Supposed to go for a diesel but the offer we got on the Petrol was too good to resist. 9.75 on road for the Titanium+. We saw no point in spending 3 lakhs more for the Diesel.
Congrats on your purchase Shimoo. Good decision. I will stick to the Diesel

Update: My Ford dealer has been effectively shielding my efforts to get the extra "13"K Discount. My SA says that it has to come from Ford and they cannot do anything about it.
MAS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 23:12   #1335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on your purchase Shimoo. Good decision. I will stick to the Diesel

Update: My Ford dealer has been effectively shielding my efforts to get the extra "13"K Discount. My SA says that it has to come from Ford and they cannot do anything about it.
Our SA literally bent over his back to get the lowest price possible. The price we paid for the Titanium+ petrol (on-road) was lower than the quoted on-road price of the Trend petrol or the Classic Sxi D. Try pitching one dealer against another and stand back and watch as they try to undercut each other.

Our last car ran a whole of 25k kms over 3 and a half years, so for that kind of running a Diesel wasn't justified at all. It might make more sense for you though.
shimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 160 12th December 2014 16:41
Bought a Ford Fiesta Sxi Premium without a Test Drive Rastapopoulos Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 171 1st December 2010 13:24
Ford Fiesta Sxi test drive below expectations Path_Finder Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 5 16th July 2008 23:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks