Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th January 2012, 10:26   #421
BHPian

Your reasons for downgrade are kind of justifying yourself.

A hatch MUST have a defogger and a wiper. It becomes difficult without these in winters and rains. LS should be out then.

Top model has a novelty around it. Bought a zen Lxi and city Gxi once and regretted the decision later. Even the Polo highline which is top model I regretted since I could not lay my hands on the 1.6 pot.

Now am driving the Vento AT and still missing some additional features they give on diesel now.

Things like HU, alloys can be changed but stuff like airbags,abs cannot be. For me ABS are a must too.

Go for LT O. However if budget is a constraint, go for model that fits.
Alisiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:27   #422
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Could you please elaborate on this point? I'm considering a diesel hatch and the Beat is one of the contenders.

Is it the A-pillars or the high dashboard that affects visibility? Or is it while reversing?

I did TD a Beat a couple of months ago, and I found the clutch to be a wee bit high, causing me to lift my knee to press the clucth, unlike other cars where I only have to stretch my left leg.
It's the high dashboard & no seat height adjust. I have a tight parking spot & to add it inclines up on approach. Since the dash is already high, I do a lot of guess work in parking than actually seeing anything. Initial days were difficult, but I am alright now.

Generally, short drivers will sure have to do a lot of guess work. You can search in my ownership thread, some one suggested DIY work to raise the seat height. Seemed like a straight forward fix.

I really like the ride quality and the peppy engine in city.
nevertouchme is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:45   #423
BHPian

Default Re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Airbags open only when necessary and do not open with small accidents.
When they do open they surely are life saving which is priceless.
They require the entire dash to be changed generally and are expensive but not compared to the work they do.
To cover the expenses of airbags just in case they open, make sure you go in for Zero Depreciation Insurance which includes 100% expenses incurred in an accident no matter plastic or anything.For instance you wouldn't have paid the 22k you paid for your alto and had walked out with just Rs.1000. Insurance premium is a bit extra but totally worth it.
If you can afford the LT(O) go for it.

Last edited by k2max6 : 28th January 2012 at 10:46.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:52   #424
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Have money= top end, no brainer.

If top end falls out of your budget, get the mid variant.

Frankly, I would cut down on my other expenses and go for the top end. For one sole reason-safety.
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 11:37   #425
BHPian

Since your primary concern is safety, go for LT O. Airbags, once deployed have to be replaced & cost a decent amount of money, but look at the other aspect. Airbags, when deployed saves the most important thing: "LIFE", which you'll agree is "PRICELESS". No amount of money can replace the loss of human life or physical and mental suffering you/ your loved ones go through, god forbid, in case of accident. To me, it's a no brainer. Go for the top end & you can always go for periodic car detailing services if you are bothered about maintaining your interiors. Also, about stock ICE, you can leave the HU as it is & go for replacing speakers & adding a decent amplifier. This should more or less take care of your ICE issues.Also, go for Zero Dep insurance, which costs a bit more than regular Insurance but you get full claim for your damages without any deductions. This should take care of financial aspect of accidental repair costs. This cover can be bought for the cars less than three years old, if there is no claim during that period. It covers full cost of parts & labour including plastic parts.

Congrats in advance for your new wheels.
nawalsingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 11:43   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looks like the Beat diesel has got some engine upgrades. The FE has shot up to 25.44kmpl from earlier 24kmpl making the Beat diesel the most fuel efficient diesel in India which Beat(s) the Tata indigo eCS mileage of 25kmpl.

Beat diesel officialy most efficient now - News - Autocar India
Thanks for the link

Was discussing the same in last page ,I was wondering how Beat D suddenly got a mileage upgrade

Need to check if these tweaks can be applied to my car, my first service is due this month end

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
While driving the Beat diesel today, I noticed a symbol popped up for a few seconds in the display panel on Dash board. It resembled Petrol pump sign and next to it, 3 droplets of rain. Does it mean I need to check oil or something?

EDIT: Got it. RTFM! It means the water level has reached to top, and if it remains ON while engine running too, then I need to visit the SC for draining the water.
I had asked the same few months back and got no replies, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Could you please elaborate on this point? I'm considering a diesel hatch and the Beat is one of the contenders.

Is it the A-pillars or the high dashboard that affects visibility? Or is it while reversing?

I did TD a Beat a couple of months ago, and I found the clutch to be a wee bit high, causing me to lift my knee to press the clucth, unlike other cars where I only have to stretch my left leg.
For me A-pillars do affect visibility especially at narrow roads , I have got adjusted to high dashboard and low seat but i find it tough while entering bylane from home with bikes parked on either side (always have to do lil bit of reversing)
crazybiker46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 13:02   #427
Senior - BHPian

I think there are 2 things which are keeping you away from the LT (o) version here.
1. Additional 50k investment.
2. Stock ICE, which you don't like.

If you can stretch your budget by 50k, then definitely get the LT(O) version. The 50k you invest upfront is hardly anything if the airbags save your life sometime during your ownership.

I'm not sure about this, but if it so matters i think the variants with ABS & airbags fetch you more at the time of resale. The main reason your looking at an upgrade is due to safety concerns, so it makes sense to get a variant with ABS and Airbags.

Regarding the ICE, you can always wait and upgrade say after 6 months of you buying the car. It won't be an issue and you also get HU's that will match the rest of your dash's illumination.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 14:02   #428
Senior - BHPian

I will only say about the question on airbag expense you quoted.

Yes, it will be costly to replace when used. But the fact that these got engaged in itself means that the car has suffered severe damages anyways. Atleast 95% of the times, car takes severe damages and that's when airbags get engaged. It's not like they get blown every now and then with small dents and dinges

So, in such cases, airbags or no airbags, you are anyways looking at huge repair bills. Airbags will just help you be there to pay these bills.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th January 2012 at 14:06.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 15:17   #429
BHPian

Thanks folks for all those insights. I really appreciate that.

The reluctance to opt for the airbags is not just the budget but also the fact that most pricier cars don't even have that option. Somewhere it insinuates that the bags aren't that high on the list of safety standards since most of the manufacturers are skipping them. ABS is something I really think adds more value. Can't even be retro-fitted.

Another aspect is that I am not buying the car on cash so low EMI is definitely a welcome thing. The mental block of spending more than 6L for small car is also playing its part. :P

Also as I hear, upgrading the tyres is also something highly recommended. So another 20K would go there it seems. Add to it the cost of some alloys, another 20K gets added to the kitty. 10K is already planned for the speaker replacement. 8-10K for sun film and odd 4-5K for the seat covers. All of these would end up me moving in "just shy of 7L" category, if I opt for the LT-(O). It seems the whole thing would get out of hand since I don't wish to burden myself with the expense.

Looks like LT it would be, considering the budget constraints. I think I should focus my energy on identifying the sunfilm/seat-covers/speaker upgrade/tyre-alloy upgrades. Those seem to demand immediate attention. What say ?
SushantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 15:55   #430
BHPian

Another update:
I talked to one of the local gurgaon tyre shops and that is ready to buy back the stock tyres for odd 2000 each tyre. The RIMs I guess are going to be wasted since no one is buying them. Additionally this guys quoted 4750 for Michelling XM1 plus (175 R14).

Are these the good prices ?
Old 28th January 2012, 17:52   #431
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Actually the choice is very simple. You either get the car with the Airbag or the one without. If you are getting the one without the airbag then get the cheapest version and do it up to your liking.

Personally if you perpetually crawl in the city then the one without airbag should suffice but if you intend to take it to the highways even occasionally then it has to be the one with the airbag. You can give the ABS a miss but never the airbag.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 17:58   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV
Another update:
I talked to one of the local gurgaon tyre shops and that is ready to buy back the stock tyres for odd 2000 each tyre. The RIMs I guess are going to be wasted since no one is buying them. Additionally this guys quoted 4750 for Michelling XM1 plus (175 R14).

Are these the good prices ?
By "Additionally", do you mean that 4750 is after reducing the 2k for old tyres ? Doubtful, but If yes, then it is too high. Otherwise, 4750/tyre (less 2k for old tyres) seems ok.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 18:00   #433
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
ABS is something I really think adds more value. Can't even be retro-fitted.
I have the Cruze with airbags and ABS and let me tell you ABS is worthless without EBD and individual brake sensors, activators and lines for each of the four corners. I have had the misfortune of feeling the ABS pulsing under my right foot more than on four occasion and its quite unnerving. On more than one occasion the left side wheels were on less grippier surface leading to premature activation of ABS and very close misses and heart attacks. If you cannot get a car with ABS and EBD shun the purchase and go without ABS instead. I repeat ABS without EBD and separate four wheel control is an absolute no no.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 28th January 2012 at 18:07.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 18:57   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I have the Cruze with airbags and ABS and let me tell you ABS is worthless without EBD and individual brake sensors, activators and lines for each of the four corners. I have had the misfortune of feeling the ABS pulsing under my right foot more than on four occasion and its quite unnerving. On more than one occasion the left side wheels were on less grippier surface leading to premature activation of ABS and very close misses and heart attacks. If you cannot get a car with ABS and EBD shun the purchase and go without ABS instead. I repeat ABS without EBD and separate four wheel control is an absolute no no.
Good Lord, doesn't the Cruze have EBD with ABS? I thought all cars with ABS do. My Fiesta does have both.

Sorry for going OT. Then what about the Beat top model? I guess that it may not have EBD when Chevy has skimped on a premier model like the Cruze.

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th January 2012 at 18:59.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 19:15   #435
BHPian

@vinit.merchant
Sorry for the unclear post. Its 4750 - 2000. I guess its fine then.

And based on drpullockaran's comments, I guess Id like to steer away from the LT(O) version for sure.

So after so much of research today, I realized that there is no way I can change the stock HU other than just changing the speakers. That would mean no bluetooth access, until I buy a Bluetooth unit extra which aren't cheap and dont really look well. Looks like my considerations are inclining towards the LS version now. I'd have to go with the missing roof rails, rear spoiler, rear defogger/washer and fog lamps (the rest of the differences are not really worthy for me. Even the ACC). I sure can get the roof rails for 3K and can get aftermarket fog lamps. The missing rear defogger is a big hit but to get the option of my choice of HU, I'll have to go that way.

I am still unsure since the price difference is odd 52K between LS and LT version. The LS version is odd 506000 OTR. and the LT version is 558000 OTR.

Any options to get the rear spoiler cheap ? The official stuff is worth 13 grands :P