Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 22:16   #466
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Thanks Superutp!

It's more about the looks than anything else...I thought the 15 inchers would really make the car stand out (although the cocktail green colour should help too).

I do intend to buy alloys in any case!
MitsubishiEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 22:47   #467
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post
Folks,

I've read enough comments about 175/65/14 being a good upgrade for the Beat.

I booked a Beat Diesel last weekend and am expecting the delivery by the month-end.

Does anyone know if 15-inch alloys are feasible on this car? The tyre-bible would recommend 185/55 with 15-inch alloys, but then I'd rather have comments from:

1. An expert on whether the 185/55 would touch the sides while turning or with 4 passengers loaded

2. Anyone who's seen or knows of someone with 15" tyres on a Beat

All comments / suggestions welcome.
Hi

Its simply a big risk to be taken if you wish to put 15 inch.

Ride quality will take a big hit, will chevy cover the suspension under warranty if you do such an upgrade?

175 should do the job, of good handling, by upgrading to 185 or 15 inch rims, you'll not acheive a major % of gain in terms of handling, but however a major % of ride quality will be lost.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 21:11   #468
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post
Thanks Superutp!

It's more about the looks than anything else...I thought the 15 inchers would really make the car stand out (although the cocktail green colour should help too).

I do intend to buy alloys in any case!
There are international versions of Beat with 15inch.
(read as Spark Creative).
So it should be possible in Indian Beat also.

Check for 1.2LT spec in UK version:
http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/spar...and-specs.html

Last edited by salbin : 14th February 2012 at 21:19. Reason: link added
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 21:57   #469
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
There are international versions of Beat with 15inch.
(read as Spark Creative).
So it should be possible in Indian Beat also.

Check for 1.2LT spec in UK version:
The new Chevrolet Spark 5-door city car
correct Salbin, the uk version has,
Wheel size 5.0J x 15" Alloy wheel size
Tyre size 165/60 R15 tyre size

In the photos the wheel arches look a lot fuller.

Reading through all the specs, really wish Indian Spec Beat could also have the same features as the UK one!

One thing I notice is that the Petrol Beat in the UK (wrong thread I know) weighs only 864kgs compared to the 940 of the Indian Beat any ideas why?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:06   #470
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
correct Salbin, the uk version has,
Wheel size 5.0J x 15" Alloy wheel size
Tyre size 165/60 R15 tyre size

In the photos the wheel arches look a lot fuller.

Reading through all the specs, really wish Indian Spec Beat could also have the same features as the UK one!

One thing I notice is that the Petrol Beat in the UK (wrong thread I know) weighs only 864kgs compared to the 940 of the Indian Beat any ideas why?
Check the pic of 17"wheels on Beat
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2114110
You can find more discussions about Beat tyre upgrade in the dedicated thread on tyre upgrade.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:23   #471
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

To all the Beat diesel owners, what sort of issues(if any) are you facing in the car, how's the FE & has anyone encountered problems due to 3 cylinders(engine oil consumption, seizure, etc)?

Also what's are the service intervals & how much does a paid service cost?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 16:51   #472
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,483 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

I drove the Beat Diesel owned by my BIL (purchased in May-11), while attending a cousin's marriage in my native place, & to my surprise i found the cute car capable enough for permissible speeds.

Following are my observations:
1. The engine is smooth enough with a near muted growl (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...), as compared to (rather audible grrrr-grrrr-grrrr-...) for a 2011 Ritz Diesel owned by another cousin.
2. Though the car is much smaller, but, felt almost at par with new Swift that I sat in one of the showroom near my place some time back. Must admit that the Beat gets beaten in the boot space by almost all cars except the Atlo & Nano.
3. The ride is good in sub-urban conditions, but the steering is too light... lighter than my Santro Xing even.
4. The wheels (165/65/14) need an upgrade but do not go beyond 185, else the performance could be affected.
5. As per my BIL, the mileage is consistently around 22+, despite this being the his daily drive to the city court, where he does law practice.
6. Rear Visibility is pain... need to upgrade to parking sensors with video (preferably) to avoid minor scratches at the rear bumper.
7. The driving position is good, but getting in the car is a pain as I found the the steering console obstructive to get in & I am five & a half feet tall only. But, it never hit my knee while driving, & for this reason, with the supportive seats I have commented that the driving position is good.

The car gets a big thumbs up from me as a city car, as I found it much practical & better over the Ritz (though my personal opinion only).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 10:29   #473
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 1,416 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

When I take out Beat diesel in afternoon, after it gets sufficiently soaked up in sun's heat, I find the AC to be quite non-effective. In fact, driving with windows open lets up more air in the car! If the car had been in shades, then AC cools alright, but if the car is standing out in the sun, then AC feels bit insufficient.

Is there something wrong with my AC unit, or are all Beat diesels are with low powered AC?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 15:29   #474
BHPian
 
neofromcapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 278
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

@ani_meher, this is natural, as the heat in car is more than outside, my solution on my santro.

1. Roll down my rear windows,
2. Switch on the car and turn up ONLY the blower/fan to full for like a minute.
3. Roll Up the windows and switch on the AC.

Nowadays I open up the boot, keeping the rear windows up and repeat steps 2 & 3.


Once all the hot air is out of the car, the AC should cool better, faster and efficiently. Hope this helps.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 19:20   #475
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I drove the Beat Diesel owned by my BIL (purchased in May-11).
May 2011?? may be a typo error at your end
Beat Diesel came in India in July 2011.

22+ FE is very good

Cheers
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 20:34   #476
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
When I take out Beat diesel in afternoon, after it gets sufficiently soaked up in sun's heat, I find the AC to be quite non-effective. In fact, driving with windows open lets up more air in the car! If the car had been in shades, then AC cools alright, but if the car is standing out in the sun, then AC feels bit insufficient.

Is there something wrong with my AC unit, or are all Beat diesels are with low powered AC?
Please make sure to roll down all the windows to 25% and then switch on blower/AC ! This will help the hot air inside the car to move out and cool the car quicker.

It's also said that dashboard generates some harmful gas when exposed to sun - hence its better to keep the windows low before switching ON the AC - Not sure of the authenticity though. Plus, it's better to run A/C in full blast after parking under the sun, bring down the blower speed once the car starts cooling.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 13:52   #477
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,483 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
May 2011?? may be a typo error at your end
Beat Diesel came in India in July 2011.

22+ FE is very good

Cheers
I could be wrong with the date/ month of purchase, but around that time (May-11) he was looking for a diesel hatch & around my birthday (3 months later) he commented that was enjoying the car. Mileage is definitely good as he lives in a small town Narwana in Haryana, but most of the runs are within city confines.

BTW, he has managed 7K kms till we met last week.

I loved the car for the diesel torque (more than my '03 Santro Xing), which was surprising considering the size (displacement) of the engine. I could drive in 1st Gear without accelerator input & the car would climb the ramp of our house which is little under 1 meter tall.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st March 2012 at 13:56.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 18:09   #478
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 1,416 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@ani_meher,
...
Once all the hot air is out of the car, the AC should cool better, faster and efficiently. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please make sure to roll down all the windows to 25% and then switch on blower/AC ! ...
... bring down the blower speed once the car starts cooling.
Thanks for the solution guys. It really worked Created a new thread 'Car basics for beginners' because such questions seem really simple and stupid after getting the answers!
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 10:52   #479
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Guys,

I took delivery of my Cocktail Green Beat Diesel last week!

Immediately added alloys and upgraded my tyres to 185/60, courtesy Madhus on Langford Road (no upsize to 15" though).

Had a bad experience with Kropex, the Chevrolet dealer...I've seldom seen such clueless staff, and I'd suggest you stay away from them.

I'll post pictures of the alloys soon.
MitsubishiEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 13:18   #480
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post
Guys,

I took delivery of my Cocktail Green Beat Diesel last week!

Immediately added alloys and upgraded my tyres to 185/60, courtesy Madhus on Langford Road (no upsize to 15" though).

Had a bad experience with Kropex, the Chevrolet dealer...I've seldom seen such clueless staff, and I'd suggest you stay away from them.

I'll post pictures of the alloys soon.
Congrats, waiting for the pics, it will the first time ill see 185 on the Beat. btw, what size alloys and which tyres?

Lots of people have a bad experience with Kropex, mine is a mixed-bag so far.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3711 21st October 2017 17:30
Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey nevertouchme Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 12th May 2015 09:37
Chevrolet Beat TCDi on steroids - DieselTronic dual channel box! rahuldevnath Modifications & Accessories 2 20th October 2014 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks