Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd August 2013, 18:42   #601
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Yes, but these check lights generally do not affect the performance, if it is for a silly reason. Some cars, ex-VW Polo get restricted to a speed limit where they cannot cross 30kmph if a major problem is detected.

This is exactly why I suggested him to get a scan of ECU at a Chevrolet service center and not just go by SVS light. A bad turbo should bring up Check Engine light if I am correct so just hope turbo is still fine. I am definitely aware of such built-in safety measures by OEM in case of a major problem as you mentioned for Polo.

Last edited by deehunk : 23rd August 2013 at 18:51.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:51   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
My 2011 Beat TCDi has clocked 41K kms. The tires have almost gone bald. I had fitted alloys at the time of delivery itself.

41K in a set of tires seems absurd for a small car. My Fiesta has the tires changed at 60K. My office Innova had 80K on the clock before the tire change.

Is it a problem with the suspension. One tire has lost more thread compared to the other 3.

A new set costs 14K. So that translates to 35 paise per km by way of tire wear.

Anyone facing such issues?
41K is early. What brand?
All 4 or just the front? Have you been rotating? Are they evenly worn or is it just the edges?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 09:41   #603
BHPian

Bridgestone. One tire has more wear than the rest. The wear is more on the outer edge. Will post pics. I've been rotating them as per schedule. I'm going to change 2 of them today.
sharoncr_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:41   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone. One tire has more wear than the rest. The wear is more on the outer edge. Will post pics. I've been rotating them as per schedule. I'm going to change 2 of them today.
Wear on edges of tyre wear is closely associated with under inflation of that particular tyre. What I gather from your post is that the tyre has worn out only on the outer edge (& not inner edge) which indicates a wrong alignment.
Take care of both the issues so as to keep your new pair from running into such problem again.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:43   #605
BHPian

Dear Saket,
those were Goodyear, not Bridegstone.

I am sure it's a problem with the alignment and wheel balancing.

Changed the front ones. Cost INR 4250 pp. Bought Goodyear 165/65/14. Did allignment and balancing on all 4 wheels. Sharing some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013082400336.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013082400330.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013082400332.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013082400334.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013082400338.jpg  

Old 28th August 2013, 22:33   #606
BHPian

Quote:
My 2011 Beat TCDi has clocked 41K kms. The tires have almost gone bald. I had fitted alloys at the time of delivery itself.

41K in a set of tires seems absurd for a small car. My Fiesta has the tires changed at 60K. My office Innova had 80K on the clock before the tire change.

Is it a problem with the suspension. One tire has lost more thread compared to the other 3.

A new set costs 14K. So that translates to 35 paise per km by way of tire wear.

Anyone facing such issues?
I too feel the tyres are eating up fast.

I changed to after-market alloys and wider tyres on Day 1 on my Beat Diesel. Have done 31,000 (month of purchase - May 2012) but I havent seen too much wear.

Did shift the front two tyres to rear at 26,000 odd km and they seemed to have 30-40% life left. The rear two had 50-60% life left and they are now at the front and should carry on for another 15-16k I guess.

I guess I will only need a change at around 46-48k

PS: Does any one know of a good after-market filter for the Beat Diesel?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20130613_071619_hdr.jpg  

BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 10:20   #607
BHPian

Sorry for the delay.

I've heard that Goodyear tires wear more compared to Michelins.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:28   #608

My issue is fixed now. Turns out rats had a liking for a vacuum switch line to the turbo. No vacuum=no waste gate opening=reduction in performance.
shreevishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:21   #609
BHPian

My Chevy seemed to be a bit under powered and I had to shift gears to keep pace and the engine was also a bit noisy and rough. Took her to my dealer Deedi Motors, Kollam. The service adviser, Mr.Shemji, diagnosed it as a result of a faulty turbo and replaced the turbo kit free of cost (the vehicle is under extended warranty till 45K kms). The cost of the turbo is around 11,700 INR.

The AC thermister was also serviced.

Gave her a good service (paid INR 309/-)

Today I drove the vehicle 30 kms to hand it over back to my Dad. He is now using it as his daily ride doing around 80 kms everyday. Now the power has improved and can cruise at 60 in 5th gear, the engine has become a lot smoother. The AC was also working perfectly. Only complaint is that they forgot to fix the hood release pull back in the slot under the dash and is the now hanging down :-). Will get if fixed.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 09:24   #610
BHPian

A fancy number and still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img2013102000597.jpg  

Old 28th October 2013, 18:14   #611
BHPian

Given my beat for 30k service and got the estimate to be around 17500. Apart from the regular 30k maintenance which involves consumables such as oil, oil filter etc., the brake pads wore out so are the front 2 wheel bearings(cost 3k per wheel). Wheel bearings are not covered under warranty eventhough i feel 30k is premature for wheel bearing replacement. I did infact have the symptoms of wheel bearing noise on highways like a low frequency hum.

Anyway lets me share the final bill once i take delivery tomorrow.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 20:19   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Given my beat for 30k service and got the estimate to be around 17500. Apart from the regular 30k maintenance which involves consumables such as oil, oil filter etc., the brake pads wore out so are the front 2 wheel bearings(cost 3k per wheel). Wheel bearings are not covered under warranty eventhough i feel 30k is premature for wheel bearing replacement. I did infact have the symptoms of wheel bearing noise on highways like a low frequency hum.

Are you sure wheel bearings are not covered in warranty? .maruti offer warranty for wheel bearing upto 60k kms.So I think chevy should also offer some sort of warranty. Please verify your warranty booklet to confirm.

Last edited by S5157 : 28th October 2013 at 20:20.
S5157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 20:48   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post

Are you sure wheel bearings are not covered in warranty? .maruti offer warranty for wheel bearing upto 60k kms.So I think chevy should also offer some sort of warranty. Please verify your warranty booklet to confirm.
Well, I verified with another dealer as well from Coimbatore and they also confirmed wheel bearings are not covered under warranty. Nothing in the warranty booklet says the bearings are not covered. But the dealers have the final say. Their explanation is that only engine, transmission and suspension components are covered under warranty.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 09:07   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post

17.5K seems to be exorbitantly high for a 30K service of a hatch. Apart from the bearings, which will cost you 6K what are the other charges?
Moreover, have your car seen some really bad roads for the bearings to give way so early? On my Indica, I replaced my factory fitted front RHS bearing only after 130K kms & 9 years & the price of the SKF bearing was just Rs 840/- (LHS bearing is still good). I wonder why GM is charging so much.

Anyways looking forward to your final bill for the service. I think an annual maintenance package for GM cars is a must have, if the spares are going to cost so much.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 21:11   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
17.5K seems to be exorbitantly high for a 30K service of a hatch. Apart from the bearings, which will cost you 6K what are the other charges?
Moreover, have your car seen some really bad roads for the bearings to give way so early? On my Indica, I replaced my factory fitted front RHS bearing only after 130K kms & 9 years & the price of the SKF bearing was just Rs 840/- (LHS bearing is still good). I wonder why GM is charging so much.

Anyways looking forward to your final bill for the service. I think an annual maintenance package for GM cars is a must have, if the spares are going to cost so much.
I am attaching the bill for reference.

I have been very kind on the car and generally cruised on 4 lane highways between bangalore - coimbatore. I am a hypermiler and am generally soft on the accelerator/brake/clutch.

When enquired the service advisor told there are instances of beat's to have bearing failure around even 15k kms. Also brake pads are totally worn out and needed replacement. Luck to get 30k for the brake pads as I heard brake pad replacements on beats around 20k kms.

Atleast this time the kropex service advisor was a bit kind as against the previous time when the person was arrogant and careless. Still had to wait 1.5 hours in the service center waiting for it to be washed after I got the call that car was ready to pickup this time.

The final bill details as below:
Brake oil 206.56
Engine oil 922.27
weights 75.98
oil filter kit 348.47
compt air filter 427.07
frnt disk pad kit 934.50
element asm a/cl 374.67
fule filter 957.21
screen wash 34.93
front wheel bearing(2 nos) 4932.75
pair service 1175
wheel alignment 375
wheel banacing 320
tyre rotation 125
rear brak overhaul 485
brake pad replacement 330
consumables 400
sublet charges(ac filter replacement/wheel bearing replacement/lathe work ) 2350

VAT 1340.15
Service tax 667.20
Edu ceess 20

Total : 16830 (Still not able to tally this amount).

I was not comfortable the moment the service adviser said wheel bearing replacement involves lathe work which is done outside of service center. I am concerned why they wouldnt have the facility to replace wheel bearing inside a service center.
ramkris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote