Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 22:30   #1486
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 62 Times
Default DSG shifts at redline in 'Sports' mode - is this the fastest way for diesels?

I had recently driven the new Jetta TDI DSG. Needless to say, I was impressed with the car and specifically the DSG gearbox. However one issue was a bit counter intuitive. In sports mode, the car holds on to each gear till its redline (~5100 rpm). But, doesn't the peak torque in diesels generally come at 2500rpm-3000rpm? Would holding on to each gear till the redline actually slow down the car compared to shifting at say 3000-3500 rpm???

Note: If a similar thread exists, please merge it.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 01:33   #1487
BHPian
 
FeelTheBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Palwal
Posts: 91
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmolChaps View Post
Hi Rajat,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of touch for sometime. With regards to your question, I did go to the VW service station in Thane and discussed the problem. There was a extensive check carried out and they found out that the electrionic control valve on/near the compressor was faulty. As the car is in warrenty, they replaced it and now the AC works really well. A friend of mine who owns a Laura has also faced the same peoblem and changing the valve has worked for him also.
Try getting it checked. Hope this helps.

Amol
Hi! Amol thanks for the reply.
I'm yet to go to the vw service people for the checkup of my jetta, i hope i don't get to pay a huge amount for the damages, so fingers crossed.
FeelTheBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 08:35   #1488
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,187 Times
Default re: DSG shifts at redline in 'Sports' mode - is this the fastest way for diesels?

That way peak torque in a petrol also only comes in at around 4k revs. It would be extremely silly to wait for the peak torque, and then shift up just when you have it. Besides, you tend to shift up a little after you have achieved peak power in each gear
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 08:58   #1489
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,376
Thanked: 9,830 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post

But, doesn't the peak torque in diesels generally come at 2500rpm-3000rpm? Would holding on to each gear till the redline actually slow down the car compared to shifting at say 3000-3500 rpm???
Let's say that the peak torque comes at 3000 RPM but the DSG upshifts only at redline which is 5000 RPM. Once the upshifting is completed the RPM would fall to the peak torque range causing the engine to be on boil where acceleration will not be an issue.

But as you say if the car upshifts at 3000 RPM then once the upshift is completed the RPM would fall down to ~2000 RPM thereby loosing out on the power range causing longer acceleration time.

Simple answer is F1 engines, late shifting to stay in the power band most of the time.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th June 2014 at 09:01.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 15:59   #1490
BHPian
 
RohanDheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Noida/New Delhi
Posts: 338
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I had recently driven the new Jetta TDI DSG. Needless to say, I was impressed with the car and specifically the DSG gearbox. However one issue was a bit counter intuitive. In sports mode, the car holds on to each gear till its redline (~5100 rpm). But, doesn't the peak torque in diesels generally come at 2500rpm-3000rpm? Would holding on to each gear till the redline actually slow down the car compared to shifting at say 3000-3500 rpm???

Note: If a similar thread exists, please merge it.
In the Jetta, as in the Laura, the peak torque comes in from 1750 to 2500. In sports mode, the engine redlines till almost 4800 and then the rpm drops to 2500-2700 and you would never feel the loss of power. The ECU is mapped/tuned such that the car revs a bit more freely in Sports mode than in the drive mode when both the DSG and the engine are a lot more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Let's say that the peak torque comes at 3000 RPM but the DSG upshifts only at redline which is 5000 RPM. Once the upshifting is completed the RPM would fall to the peak torque range causing the engine to be on boil where acceleration will not be an issue.

But as you say if the car upshifts at 3000 RPM then once the upshift is completed the RPM would fall down to ~2000 RPM thereby loosing out on the power range causing longer acceleration time.

Simple answer is F1 engines, late shifting to stay in the power band most of the time.

Anurag.
Beautifully explained Anurag!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:18   #1491
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Dunno about all the details but the car has a dead spot at around 80-100 kmph. Has someone felt this?
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:30   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,376
Thanked: 9,830 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Dunno about all the details but the car has a dead spot at around 80-100 kmph. Has someone felt this?
Can you explain it a bit in detail if you don't mind?

You mean like Turbo-lag types?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 06:33   #1493
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Dunno about all the details but the car has a dead spot at around 80-100 kmph. Has someone felt this?
Manual or DSG?

By dead spot you mean the car takes time to move out of this slot? Even if you downshift?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 06:38   #1494
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Default

I mean in dsg sports mode there is a dead spot where pace of increase becomes subdued like it has gone to turbo lag state but not quite.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:32   #1495
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,539
Thanked: 7,992 Times
Default Re: DSG shifts at redline in 'Sports' mode - is this the fastest way for diesels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I had recently driven the new Jetta TDI DSG. Needless to say, I was impressed with the car and specifically the DSG gearbox. However one issue was a bit counter intuitive. In sports mode, the car holds on to each gear till its redline (~5100 rpm). But, doesn't the peak torque in diesels generally come at 2500rpm-3000rpm? Would holding on to each gear till the redline actually slow down the car compared to shifting at say 3000-3500 rpm???

Note: If a similar thread exists, please merge it.
The DSG in sport mode does not always hold the gear till redline, it depends on the throttle input, if driven with a light accelerator input DSG upshifts early and operates at lower rev band.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 15:19   #1496
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Moderatore note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.


Hi,
Today something strange happened with my Jetta Diesel (2013 - Highline). I was heading to office and on the way I heard continuous clicks in the left side door panel. Seemed as if the door was trying to lock itself but could not. I checked the door lock buttons on the driver side door panel. The background illumination had gone which confirmed my fear about malfunction in the central locking system. As soon as I reached office I checked and figured out that the left front door was not locking. All the other doors lock well including the boot.
Although I will get the car to service center tomorrow, but if there is any immediate solution then it will be a relief for me as currently my car is vulnerable and security is compromised.
I wonder what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and something like this happens. I guess these are pitfalls of complicated electronics in a machine and ignorance on my end.
Thanks in advance.

Amol

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2014 at 15:36.
AmolChaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 16:14   #1497
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Can you try to lock the left front door specifically using the key?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 17:16   #1498
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmolChaps View Post
Although I will get the car to service center tomorrow, but if there is any immediate solution then it will be a relief for me as currently my car is vulnerable and security is compromised.
I wonder what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and something like this happens. I guess these are pitfalls of complicated electronics in a machine and ignorance on my end.
Thanks in advance.

Amol
Hi Amol,

I doubt if any other alternative is possible since door lock / unlock is centralized and controlled by driver only (all five actuators controlled together). You have to take it to service centre. It could be either the actuator or the connector.

If you have any good accessory shop near by, you could get the door panel removed and check the connector..

All the best. Please update..

Last edited by Chethan B G : 1st July 2014 at 17:17.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:32   #1499
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Can you try to lock the left front door specifically using the key?
Unfortunately that is not an option. There is no key hole and as the locking system is electronic only, manual is not an option.
AmolChaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:52   #1500
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Will this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&h...&v=BA1ModtFryY




Last edited by anandpadhye : 2nd July 2014 at 13:55.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks