Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 12:19   #1651
BHPian
 
neeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 101 Times
Post Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by j76 View Post
The upgrade for india seems to be likely soon, since they have apparently stopped taking any more requests for the highline variant for 4 months.
Major updates on the Jetta should be in the form of new fog lights and front grill for exteriors and the new IC & steering wheel (as seen in Polo & Vento) for interiors.

Technically, there is a possibility of increasing the power from the 2L TDI to 150 PS & 340 NM.

Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 2226
Size:  602.5 KB

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-picture-3.png

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-picture-5.png

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-picture-6.png

Name:  Picture 7.png
Views: 2146
Size:  47.2 KB

Source: www.volkswagen.de
neeld is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 14:21   #1652
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 234
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by j76 View Post
The upgrade for india seems to be likely soon, since they have apparently stopped taking any more requests for the highline variant for 4 months.
This was the information given to me buy the volkswagen dealership on inquiry.
However they do not have any information of a refresh in the near future.
is that so? I had enquired with VW Saket in Delhi, and they did not make any mention of not taking bookings for highline. there is some discount available on the current Jetta as well.

I had asked them specifically about the facelift, and they said it is not due this year (not necessarily they are telling the truth or know when it will be launched from past experience with VW). I am waiting for the launch of the new model. the deals on the outgoing one will get sweeter as the upgrades on the new one are not great.

Agreed, the IC and Steering look nice, but the current one is also not bad looking. Exteriors changes are minor, so not really worth talking about. the major changes may be in the safety department.

A bump in power is welcome, but the new car will be priced above the current one, and if there are substantial discounts on the outgoing one, I wouldn't mind picking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Major updates on the Jetta should be in the form of new fog lights and front grill for exteriors and the new IC & steering wheel (as seen in Polo & Vento) for interiors.

Technically, there is a possibility of increasing the power from the 2L TDI to 150 PS & 340 NM.
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 09:52   #1653
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I had asked them specifically about the facelift, and they said it is not due this year (not necessarily they are telling the truth or know when it will be launched from past experience with VW). I am waiting for the launch of the new model. the deals on the outgoing one will get sweeter as the upgrades on the new one are not great.
Face-lift Jetta will be launched in the month of Feb/Mar 2015. This news is more or less certain.

Already, there are only a few current Jetta's left for sale. There may not be any thing left after Dec 2014. It may be too late to wait until the launch.

IMHO, get in touch with a couple of dealers from now itself. Give them your offer and ask them to get back. Let them know that you are ready to pick it up any given day. That way, they will be in touch with you and (you) may not miss out the best possible offer.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 17:54   #1654
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone noticed the brakes being spongy in the jetta? Mine just completed 1000 kms and I noticed that the brakes are spongy although the car stops fine. The ABS also kicks in fine (thanks to a goods carrier for allowing me to test the ABS on the mysore-bangalore highway )

I am also getting vibrations in the steering wheel at around 110-120 kmph. Planning to take it to the dealer this week to get these checked. Wanted to find out if any current owners have experienced any of these issues?

Hopefully it is nothing that a wheel balance and a brake bleed cannot fix.

Last edited by etrast75 : 28th September 2014 at 17:54. Reason: typo fix
etrast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 10:37   #1655
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 117
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Has anyone noticed the brakes being spongy in the jetta? Mine just completed 1000 kms and I noticed that the brakes are spongy although the car stops fine. The ABS also kicks in fine (thanks to a goods carrier for allowing me to test the ABS on the mysore-bangalore highway )

I am also getting vibrations in the steering wheel at around 110-120 kmph. Planning to take it to the dealer this week to get these checked. Wanted to find out if any current owners have experienced any of these issues?

Hopefully it is nothing that a wheel balance and a brake bleed cannot fix.

Sorry but could not understand what you meant by spongy? Is it the disc brake rub noise when you take the car out in morning from cold state? I experienced that for first few thousand kms when car was new but now that's also gone as i have crossed 10k. I have not experienced any steering wheel vibrations even at 170+. You should also ensure adequate tyre pressure and wheel alignment. Hopefully no major issues...
nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 11:24   #1656
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Sorry but could not understand what you meant by spongy? Is it the disc brake rub noise when you take the car out in morning from cold state? .
It is the mushy feel when you press the brakes. You do not feel the bite of the brakes. All indications point to air getting into the brake system which should be fixed by bleeding the brakes. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. lets see what they say.

As for the vibrations I think it the wheels are out of balance although I have no idea how a brand new car can have out of balance wheels. Checked the tires for sidewall bulges and alloys for any damages. Nothing that I could see. I felt the vibrations as soon as it 110-120 kmph which goes away once I slow down to around 100 kmph. Tire pressures are ok (34-35 cold all around) and alignment looks fine (no pulling or off center steering wheel)
etrast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 12:08   #1657
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Took the vehicle in to service center to get steering wheel vibrations and spongy brakes issue looked at.
They said they have fixed the steering wheel vibration issue through some adjustments to the steering unit. Was not able to verify as I could not hit the necessary speeds in the city.
They refused to acknowledge the spongy brake issue and kept saying that everything is fine. I asked them to bleed the brakes but they refused to do that too. Will get a chance to check it out in the next 4 days anyway.
The overall service center experience was the worst I have encountered in my life. I was witness to 2 service advisors shouting at each other with me sitting in the car.
I just hope that the issues have indeed been resolved and that I have to never visit that place again in the near future.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 17:12   #1658
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I just hope that the issues have indeed been resolved and that I have to never visit that place again in the near future.
Not with a german car in hand . There is never a dull moment in any service center. The best approach is to befriend a SA and hope he plays your mate at the the other end.

I am lucky to have some SA still sticking to the same service center for 4 years now. And just a week back my jetta just stopped starting. Initial feeling was the god forsaken high pressure fuel pump failure.

After a day in the service centre, it came out to be rat biting the fuel supply pipes. I am asking for more details and pictures if possible. But yeah, the rats have done it again.

I am in the US and my BIL is driving my car. I had one rat incident in 2010 and was able to keep it incident free with my own innovative socks approach but my bil never thought he had rat problems.

Anyway, it was my SA i called from here, explained the details and he basically took care of communication and cleaning up the car. The car is back running normally and thanks to the SA.

Try to befriend one and for my luck i had a mechanic that is even closer to me. I basically gave him my VCDS tool and we usually check issues and decided if it needs to go to the service centre of if we can avoid it.

Take the first step to know the SA or Mechanic and things fall into your place for good.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 02:52   #1659
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
It is the mushy feel when you press the brakes. You do not feel the bite of the brakes. All indications point to air getting into the brake system which should be fixed by bleeding the brakes. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. lets see what they say.

As for the vibrations I think it the wheels are out of balance although I have no idea how a brand new car can have out of balance wheels. Checked the tires for sidewall bulges and alloys for any damages. Nothing that I could see. I felt the vibrations as soon as it 110-120 kmph which goes away once I slow down to around 100 kmph. Tire pressures are ok (34-35 cold all around) and alignment looks fine (no pulling or off center steering wheel)
Few months back, I had similar issues on my Verna, i.e. steering wheel vibrations around 90 to 110Km/hr. No vibrations above or below these speeds. I then took my car to the tyre dealer. The problem was indeed fixed after all the four wheels were balanced. It is very likely that the vibrations you are reporting are due to unbalanced wheels. Did you recently drive on any bad or pot holed roads at high speeds? This might have contributed to off balance wheels. Nevertheless, you may like to check the wheel balancing at a tyre shop.
deep_behera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 09:59   #1660
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Just returned from a trip to North Karnataka and I seem to also have some judder issues past 130kmph. Not just the steering, but the gearshift also seems to vibrate a little bit. After I noticed that, I got down to much saner speeds of around 100-120 (and folks who know B'lore will know how hard that is on NH4 - I mean other drivers were looking at me like something was wrong with my car).

My car just crossed 5k/6months and I thought it was the wheel alignment that needed a check - have done 180-200 numerous times and she was always very well mannered. Will take her to the service center this weekend or next and update. Also noticed that one of the front fog lamps has conked off - will need to get that replaced as well.
ddis_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 11:15   #1661
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 234
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
As for the vibrations I think it the wheels are out of balance although I have no idea how a brand new car can have out of balance wheels. Checked the tires for sidewall bulges and alloys for any damages. Nothing that I could see. I felt the vibrations as soon as it 110-120 kmph which goes away once I slow down to around 100 kmph. Tire pressures are ok (34-35 cold all around) and alignment looks fine (no pulling or off center steering wheel)
Don't bet on the balancing. I got my car checked right out of the showroom and balancing was out considerably on all 4 wheels. From what you report, it is most probably a balancing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Just returned from a trip to North Karnataka and I seem to also have some judder issues past 130kmph. Not just the steering, but the gearshift also seems to vibrate a little bit. After I noticed that, I got down to much saner speeds of around 100-120 (and folks who know B'lore will know how hard that is on NH4 - I mean other drivers were looking at me like something was wrong with my car).
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:35   #1662
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Major updates on the Jetta should be in the form of new fog lights and front grill for exteriors and the new IC & steering wheel (as seen in Polo & Vento) for interiors.

Technically, there is a possibility of increasing the power from the 2L TDI to 150 PS & 340 NM.

Source: www.volkswagen.de
I happened to speak to the VW Mysore GM today who essentially confirmed all of the above for the Jetta (+10 PS, steering wheel change etc.) for the 2015 Jetta.

Apparently, the Passat is going through a much more comprehensive redesign.
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 20:22   #1663
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 332
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I happened to speak to the VW Mysore GM today who essentially confirmed all of the above for the Jetta (+10 PS, steering wheel change etc.) for the 2015 Jetta.



Apparently, the Passat is going through a much more comprehensive redesign.

What is the expected launch date? And what are other changes that may be incorporated apart from increase in power and change in steering wheel? I guess current Jetta is not based on new platform on which Octavia is based and 2015 jetta is going to continue on the same old platform.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 22:53   #1664
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
What is the expected launch date? And what are other changes that may be incorporated apart from increase in power and change in steering wheel? I guess current Jetta is not based on new platform on which Octavia is based and 2015 jetta is going to continue on the same old platform.
Mate, the changes the GM confirmed are those that neeld had mentioned in his helpful post, which I'd quoted in my previous post.

He indicated that the first cars will be available starting Feb 2015. Apparently, 2014 DSG models are already sold out, as are all Passats.
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 10:01   #1665
Senior - BHPian
 
merve_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I did get couple of feedback calls from VW folks asking about why I did not go for the Jetta and what improvements would I like to see. Maybe they will do something about the plane Jane Dash, like the piano black accents for the center stack
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3930 3rd December 2016 15:51
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks