Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 21:40   #1996
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,618
Thanked: 2,093 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thanks. In that case, my first upgrade will only be the tyres. Regarding Bilsteins, I would like to get them, but I guess it will affect the warranty. So I will wait for atleast 3 years, to use 50% of the extended warranty.
Yep, been there done that! Coming from a Corolla I too was very happy with the taut suspension of my Laura. Fear of losing warranty kept me away from getting some very tempting upgrades. I enjoyed the stock car for nearly two years, but then could not resist any more. Bhpian Robimahanta offered me a drive in his car and I was sold.

Dealerships typically like to discourage you from modifying anything. But logically speaking, if you upgrade shock absorbers you will only lose warranty on suspension related stuff. And given that shock absorbers are the most likely component that could demand a warranty replacement, I don't think you have much to worry. Besides Bilstiens come with their own warranty and last much longer than stock shock absorbers. If you still think they will object, just paint them black and they won't even notice .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
That way, I think even a tyre upgrade also will effect warranty?

Jetta with its OEM setup, grips / handles and corners very well. Is something more required in real world conditions? I really could not understand..
Stock Jetta is a very good handler and the suspension has very good balance no doubt. But still the suspension is tuned towards comfort which will satisfy a majority of owners. The Bilstein B6 is not an all out sport suspension. It just gives you higher damping force which pushes the car to the ground a little more firmly. It eliminates that bouncy movement that you get when you go over road undulations and gives you that feeling of control at the wheel. The ride is never uncomfortable and the car just feels planted at all times. If you drive a lot on highways its a highly recommended upgrade for these D1 segment cars if you ask me. I regret I didn't do it earlier.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 22:22   #1997
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

The Bilstein B6 is not an all out sport suspension. It just gives you higher damping force which pushes the car to the ground a little more firmly. It eliminates that bouncy movement that you get when you go over road undulations and gives you that feeling of control at the wheel. The ride is never uncomfortable and the car just feels planted at all times. If you drive a lot on highways its a highly recommended upgrade for these D1 segment cars if you ask me. I regret I didn't do it earlier.
Thanks. I am sold!

I will plan this as an alternative when I need to replace my stock shocks. Generally, what will be the life of the stock shocks? That is, when will they start to become bouncy? Around 50K Kms on the ODO?

Did you replace the springs also or only the struts? Can you share the cost please..

By the way, could get hold of 3MCR90 for the side windows and the front wind-shield for 20K.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 15th June 2015 at 22:42.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 19:25   #1998
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,618
Thanked: 2,093 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks. I am sold!

I will plan this as an alternative when I need to replace my stock shocks. Generally, what will be the life of the stock shocks? That is, when will they start to become bouncy? Around 50K Kms on the ODO?

Did you replace the springs also or only the struts? Can you share the cost please..

By the way, could get hold of 3MCR90 for the side windows and the front wind-shield for 20K.
Shock absorbers generally last about 60 to 70,000 kms. This largely depends on the kind of roads they are subjected to. Worse the roads, lesser the life.

No I have retained the stock springs. You will need to replace springs only if you want to lower the car. Bilstein B6 should cost you about 65 to 70K for a set.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 21:35   #1999
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Bilstein B6 should cost you about 65 to 70K for a set.
Thanks.

Is 70K for a set of four? I think we need to replace all 4 struts together, else the car may have a rocking effect?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 22:43   #2000
BHPian
 
paras211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 601
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

How much do the stock struts cost ? I am past 90k but the ride is still firm. The car is used on highways 95%.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 17:56   #2001
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bombay
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : iphone cable

Hi all owners,
My iphone cable in the glove compartment has died ( will not attach to the iphone - keeps slipping out), does any one have a 30 pin / lightning cable that they are not using? Will be happy to take it off you. VW thane says they don't have it in stock.
Thanks and regards
Shiv
clix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 21:22   #2002
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

My 2 year 4 month Jetta DSG Highline, would not start today. Some lights flashing, and clicking sound and different messages on the MID. Sometimes ESC is not functioning, sometimes Left DRL is not working (it is indeed working fine!) and asking me to put the lever in Parking (while it was in Parking). Also when I unlock the car with the remote, I get couple of warning bells.

Called up Roadside Assistance and realized getting 2 years extended warranty does not include Roadside Assistance and that needs to be purchased separately (some 3.3K for 2 years). No idea why VW Sundaram never bothered to sell that ...

Will wait for tomorrow morning to call the dealer and check. But anyone has any thoughts?

TIA!
Ram
Rammee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 21:33   #2003
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 980 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
My 2 year 4 month Jetta DSG Highline, would not start today. Some lights flashing, and clicking sound and different messages on the MID. Sometimes ESC is not functioning, sometimes Left DRL is not working (it is indeed working fine!) and asking me to put the lever in Parking (while it was in Parking). Also when I unlock the car with the remote, I get couple of warning bells.
Sounds like a battery drain issue. This is the typical behavior of the car when the battery is drained below the tolerable limit.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 21:44   #2004
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Sounds like a battery drain issue. This is the typical behavior of the car when the battery is drained below the tolerable limit.
Thanks! I am suspecting the same - only in my other cars in past, the typical duration was 4 year plus. Is 2 year+ a standard in Jetta?

Also, wish the cars would have some kind of advance warning (like low fuel indicator) to let us know that the battery is about to die. Suddenly failing to start is always unwelcome situation.
Rammee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 21:52   #2005
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 980 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
Thanks! I am suspecting the same - only in my other cars in past, the typical duration was 4 year plus. Is 2 year+ a standard in Jetta?



Also, wish the cars would have some kind of advance warning (like low fuel indicator) to let us know that the battery is about to die. Suddenly failing to start is always unwelcome situation.

It depends. My Octavia and Yeti batteries lasted roughly 3.5 years. Dealer said that's more than expected. They told me that the expected life is about 3 years for diesel cars. But there are people whose batteries lasted more than mine as well as less than that too. You can get your battery checked up. If cells are fine, get it charged completely once before putting it back in the car. Otherwise get it replaced. The dealer or a good battery shop will be able to guide you after checking the battery condition.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 10:37   #2006
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,618
Thanked: 2,093 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks.

Is 70K for a set of four? I think we need to replace all 4 struts together, else the car may have a rocking effect?
Yes Chethan, 70K is for a set of four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
How much do the stock struts cost ? I am past 90k but the ride is still firm. The car is used on highways 95%.
No idea. But if were to take guess, it should be between ₹ 30K to 40K for a full set. 100K should be a good time to replace your struts.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th June 2015 at 10:39.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 11:19   #2007
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
My 2 year 4 month Jetta DSG Highline, would not start today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Sounds like a battery drain issue. This is the typical behavior of the car when the battery is drained below the tolerable limit.
Did you try to jump start the car? If it starts, then you know it's battery issue and drive it straight to the workshop for the check-up/ replacement.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 19:48   #2008
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Did you try to jump start the car? If it starts, then you know it's battery issue and drive it straight to the workshop for the check-up/ replacement.
Did call the local battery guy and he came and confirmed that the battery is fully dead. Got it changed to an Amaron Flo battery with 2+2 years warranty. Car back to normal
Checked with VW Service center folks as well - it appears Jetta batteries seem to fail anytime after 2 years Not sure if other members have faced similar issues.
Rammee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 09:08   #2009
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,483
Thanked: 7,794 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
Did call the local battery guy and he came and confirmed that the battery is fully dead. Got it changed to an Amaron Flo battery with 2+2 years warranty. Car back to normal
Checked with VW Service center folks as well - it appears Jetta batteries seem to fail anytime after 2 years Not sure if other members have faced similar issues.
After 3 years and 3 months. My bettery failed today. It felt slow when i started up early morning, went to the gym. Car refused to start after that,

Need to pick up a new battery and get it fitted
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 20:25   #2010
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 207
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Had a problem with ac not cooling immediately after starting my car in the morning. Took it to the service centre , on investigation turned out to be a faulty expansion valve , this along with dryer was replaced under warranty, so far its working ok
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks