Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 17:59   #2086
BHPian
 
Sam.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 152
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I have just purchased a used 2009VW Jetta 1.9TDI-PD DSG which has done 98000kms. Looking forward to being more active on this thread henceforth.Any particular downsides to this car that i should be concerned of?

Just got to hear that one of my friends same spec car stalled in the middle of the night wITH the entire meter console all lit up and absolutely no power.It didn't throw out any error codes as well.The car was towed to the VW SC and after 2 days now, i believe the technicians are clueless after having tried the OBD which isn't throwing any codes as well.Any pointers here?

Last edited by Sam.k : 9th September 2015 at 18:00.
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 20:21   #2087
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
2009VW Jetta 1.9TDI-PD DSG
The PD version had some problems from EGR valve, pump issue, higher sulphur deposit and more. And the DSG is known for troublesome failures in many cases.

Its a costly affair to buy an used Jetta that is two generations older and the PD diesel though powerful had multiple issues from different owners.

I cannot believe VW cannot diagnoise the issue for it can either be electrical, sensor failure or actual part failure. (May be rat bites)

But i usually advice buyers to skip that last generation and go for the MKV which is a 2L Diesel and much more reliable except for AC.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 18:58   #2088
BHPian
 
MandarMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 159
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Today I noticed an issue with the driver side door lock. I tried a couple of times, but the door just refused to lock, while all other doors locked just fine. I tried using the remote as well as the lock button on the inside (with the window rolled down). After 3-4 attempts however the door DID lock, but I have started facing this issue consistently.

I do hear the actuators when I press the button but still the door doesn't always lock. No error is shown on the console and the door open/close sensors seem to be working fine.

I am planning to send the car to VW workshop tomorrow to get the problem sorted out. In the meantime any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

EDIT - I also need to get the wipers changed. The current wipers have started leaving a thin layer of water which has started causing visibility issues at night. Should I replace with the OEM brand (don't know which one that is) or are there other, better alternatives? Please suggest.

Thanks.

Last edited by MandarMax : 13th September 2015 at 19:01.
MandarMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 19:31   #2089
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

@MandarMax

Wipers are tough to get outside. Take your wiper with you to auto shop to see if they have similar make. Else there is a wonderful video on changing just the rubber on the wiper where you can get a standard wiper and swap the rubber.


Regarding your door - It could be that the wire connection is lose or off the actual door lock. If you are like me you can take time to remove the door (which is very easy by few clips and screws and you will see if the wire is attached to the door). Check the connection to confirm if everything is fine. I would DIY before taking it to the centre.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 19:42   #2090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 685
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Does the Jetta Trendline trim come with all black interiors without the biege/black combo? A sales advisor at the VW Trivandrum showroom told me that it is so but also admitted that they have never seen a trendline trim Jetta.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 10:40   #2091
BHPian
 
Mission_PGPX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 136
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Does the Jetta Trendline trim come with all black interiors without the biege/black combo? A sales advisor at the VW Trivandrum showroom told me that it is so but also admitted that they have never seen a trendline trim Jetta.

Drive on,
Shibu.
I have a 2013 jetta trendline trim and it is with black/beige combo. pic for your reference.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-interior.jpg
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 13:26   #2092
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 685
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I have a 2013 jetta trendline trim and it is with black/beige combo. pic for your reference.

Attachment 1414588
Thanks a lot. Actually I was hoping it would be black because personally I love black interiors and the UK version having the same spec does have all black interiors. However I guess our market has a preference for lighter interiors.

Do you mind posting a couple of pics of the door trims and seats as well?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 09:19   #2093
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 22
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

2 days back my jetta gave ABS/Steering error in dashboard for few seconds. On searching I could find that this is the error when battery is about to fail. Today the errors popped up again and I dropped the car at VW Whitefield. Service advisor says that this is not associated with battery failure. When I insisted, he said he checked with a multimeter (since the technician has not come yet!) and it seems fine. They said they will let me know by first half today. I am worried now! :(
sabirsalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 22:56   #2094
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 944
Thanked: 764 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabirsalam View Post
2 days back my jetta gave ABS/Steering error in dashboard for few seconds. On searching I could find that this is the error when battery is about to fail. Today the errors popped up again and I dropped the car at VW Whitefield. Service advisor says that this is not associated with battery failure. When I insisted, he said he checked with a multimeter (since the technician has not come yet!) and it seems fine. They said they will let me know by first half today. I am worried now! :(
It absolutely is a battery error. How old is the battery? I faced a similar issue where the car refused to crank whatsoever and all the lights on my dash were lit up like a christmas tree.

I faced the same symptoms about 1.5 months ago and the workshop toed the same line; it's not a battery issue, despite them having to send someone to jumpstart the car at 9 in the night. Luckily, my car was (is) less than 2 years old and the battery was under warranty. I insisted they keep the car and carry out a full check of the battery, which was later reported to be faulty. They changed it at no cost to me.

Hold firm, it absolutely is a battery issue, no doubt in my mind about that.
iliketurtles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 23:52   #2095
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

@iliketurtles

Actually there is one more reason when this can happen when there are rat bites. This all the way along the ABS sensor line.

I had this happent to my Car. Battery was perfect but it was a rat bite.

And finally a faulty ABS sensor could also be an issue.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 05:57   #2096
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 22
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
It absolutely is a battery error. How old is the battery? I faced a similar issue where the car refused to crank whatsoever and all the lights on my dash were lit up like a christmas tree.

I faced the same symptoms about 1.5 months ago and the workshop toed the same line; it's not a battery issue, despite them having to send someone to jumpstart the car at 9 in the night. Luckily, my car was (is) less than 2 years old and the battery was under warranty. I insisted they keep the car and carry out a full check of the battery, which was later reported to be faulty. They changed it at no cost to me.

Hold firm, it absolutely is a battery issue, no doubt in my mind about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@iliketurtles

Actually there is one more reason when this can happen when there are rat bites. This all the way along the ABS sensor line.

I had this happent to my Car. Battery was perfect but it was a rat bite.

And finally a faulty ABS sensor could also be an issue.
Got the car back yesterday. As per them, this was due to dust accumulation and that they have cleaned it. While am not so sure about the diagnosis, didn't get the error message after that anyway. I am going for a 100km trip today, so I guess I will get to know today.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 08:18. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
sabirsalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:33   #2097
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default

My car got the Air bag error yesterday when i started the car in the morning, Went to the kurla autobahn and they said its because of a crash sensor in the drivers side door which has gone kaput, Obviously they did not have the part in stock and they have placed an order which will take around 2 weeks to arrive!
Also the charging point had stopped working, And according to the service center it had been pushed hard inside and so its not working and wont be covered under warranty and i would have to pay 2k for it, Even though i know i hardly even use that charger point, Weirdly even then charging socket isnt in stock!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:43   #2098
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,700
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
My car got the Air bag error yesterday when i started the car in the morning Weirdly even then charging socket isnt in stock!

Don't know about Jetta but that error points to a weak battery in fiats. Considering the fact that the service centre folks are usually hugely talented , if your battery isn't new , get it checked once from outside.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 20:49   #2099
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 22
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabirsalam View Post
Got the car back yesterday. As per them, this was due to dust accumulation and that they have cleaned it. While am not so sure about the diagnosis, didn't get the error message after that anyway. I am going for a 100km trip today, so I guess I will get to know today.
Got the error once more today in my 100km drive. This happened when I started the car. It went out in a few seconds. In my Dynavin the battery voltage shows 14.1v - is this within the limit? I am planning to go to Amaron pit stop to check the battery. If that's doesn't work, I have to give the car to service centre again...
sabirsalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 22:18   #2100
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
In my Dynavin the battery voltage shows 14.1v - is this within the limit? I am planning to go to Amaron pit stop to check the battery. If that's doesn't work, I have to give the car to service centre again...
More and more feels like battery. Te battery voltage after full charge may show 14.1 but if the cells are weak its not going to send enough power.

Seocndly since you earlier said they cleaned up a sensor dust, i would still fear sensor going kaput.

Check battery for sure by testing it without load and with load and see if it drops to 10 or so.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks