Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th April 2016, 18:55   #2521
Senior - BHPian

I had asked 2-3 SA while taking my jetta for servicing and all of them said keeping the pressure around 32 PSI according to indian road conditions are normal, I found 30PSI to be a little low, 32 Provides a better overall comfort with grip.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 19:38   #2522
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I had asked 2-3 SA while taking my jetta for servicing and all of them said keeping the pressure around 32 PSI according to indian road conditions are normal, I found 30PSI to be a little low, 32 Provides a better overall comfort with grip.
I'm driving with 36 in all four, and its absolute comfort, when alone or with 2 passengers. Drove alone on highways with same for about 1K Kms, and felt really comfortable and not bouncy at all. I'm sure the guys at VW knew what numbers to put there
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 20:46   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
I'm driving with 36 in all four, and its absolute comfort, when alone or with 2 passengers. Drove alone on highways with same for about 1K Kms, and felt really comfortable and not bouncy at all. I'm sure the guys at VW knew what numbers to put there

How does 36 PSI feel on bad roads? Uneven surface or potholes? Try it and let us know, When i said indian road conditions i meant this, I have too tried 36 PSI as VW recommends, But VW I don't think keeps potholes or Indian roads in mind while recommending it, Please correct me if i am wrong.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 21:54   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
How does 36 PSI feel on bad roads? Uneven surface or potholes? Try it and let us know, When i said indian road conditions i meant this, I have too tried 36 PSI as VW recommends, But VW I don't think keeps potholes or Indian roads in mind while recommending it, Please correct me if i am wrong.
Oh No, please don't misunderstand me Tanveer, I meant "...hope VW guys knew...".

I don't have much of bad roads to challenge now a days, in fact none at all on regular routes. But when I had to, didn't feel much of an issue. May be I didn't care, or I didn't sense it. I will be more conscious now and update here. In fact, I really feel the ideal cushion-effect over usual uneven surfaces and humps. But I think a lesser pressure to tackle potholes or humps is not going to help the tire - just my thoughts, nor the fuel efficiency. There's suspension to handle that.

I will try 32/33 next time I refill, and feedback.
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 22:32   #2525
BHPian

So I went back to 32, and feels ok. Will run it around a bit, and see if the car feels sluggish.

Anyone generous enough to lend / sell me their vagcom cable? I can't find a good one on ebay, and aliexpress takes a lot of time.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 00:47   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
So I went back to 32, and feels ok. Will run it around a bit, and see if the car feels sluggish.

Anyone generous enough to lend / sell me their vagcom cable? I can't find a good one on ebay, and aliexpress takes a lot of time.

Alternatively I would like to know if this cable would work?
http://s.aliexpress.com/VZJJZVVj
Old 29th April 2016, 08:40   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively I would like to know if this cable would work?
http://s.aliexpress.com/VZJJZVVj
Yes. This is the cable. But will it work? With AliExpress VCDS cables, no one knows

Having said that I have a 15.7 version cable, and it works fine. I had a version 12.12 cable earlier which did not recognize many controllers in my 2014 Jetta. But 15.7 recognized them.

One issue I got is that the cable does not recognize the ABS/Brake controller in my Polo GT as these are new controllers still not in version 15.7 data base.

So, if you get this cable, there is a chance that some of the controllers in the Jetta are not recognized by the cable.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 09:16   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. This is the cable. But will it work? With AliExpress VCDS cables, no one knows

Having said that I have a 15.7 version cable, and it works fine. I had a version 12.12 cable earlier which did not recognize many controllers in my 2014 Jetta. But 15.7 recognized them.

One issue I got is that the cable does not recognize the ABS/Brake controller in my Polo GT as these are new controllers still not in version 15.7 data base.

So, if you get this cable, there is a chance that some of the controllers in the Jetta are not recognized by the cable.
Only one way to find out. Ordering it now. Will update if things works fine.
We still have to use the software provided by the seller? Or will the Ross-tech version work?
Old 29th April 2016, 09:19   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only one way to find out. Ordering it now. Will update if things works fine.
We still have to use the software provided by the seller? Or will the Ross-tech version work?
Only the software provided by the seller will work. Ross-Tech updates will not work.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:21   #2530
BHPian

One little stupid question, where do I see today's date? I can't find it either on the MFD, or on the MIB II system. Any ideas?
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:44   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One little stupid question, where do I see today's date? I can't find it either on the MFD, or on the MIB II system. Any ideas?
Interesting question. In the last 6 years never once i thought about this . I am so dependent on my laptop for dates or the neighbor standing next to me!!!

I dont think date is displayed anywhere. Time is the only available option i think.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:37   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
I generally fill 36/36 when alone/ with co-driver and 36/40 when passengers in rear seat and 36/42 when passengers in rear seat and lots of luggage (air filling done in cold condition, as recommended in manual). Am following this ritual for the 29.7K KMs done in various highways in TN/Kerala/Karnataka. I find the rides with these pressures smooth and comfortable. Gets bouncy when we over charge, like 2 of us and the tyres inflated to 36/40. I think 32/33 is too much on the lower side for tubeless tyres leading to faster wear as well as lower mileage.
alavandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:51   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I generally fill 36/36 when alone/ with co-driver and 36/40 when passengers in rear seat and 36/42 when passengers in rear seat and lots of luggage (air filling done in cold condition, as recommended in manual). Am following this ritual for the 29.7K KMs done in various highways in TN/Kerala/Karnataka. I find the rides with these pressures smooth and comfortable. Gets bouncy when we over charge, like 2 of us and the tyres inflated to 36/40. I think 32/33 is too much on the lower side for tubeless tyres leading to faster wear as well as lower mileage.
Agreed what your saying, But what i don't understand is why do every car that i have owned from different manufacturer's, Why is it that all of them (Sales advisor's and Service center's) suggest 30-32 PSI when there are just a couple of people in the car? Can someone please shed some light on it, And i have clocked more than 70000-80000 kms on my previous 2-3 cars which were always maintained with 30 or 32 PSI all round but i never found any early wear on the tyre or any other issue with the car.

Its confusing.
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:35   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed what your saying, But what i don't understand is why do every car that i have owned from different manufacturer's, Why is it that all of them (Sales advisor's and Service center's) suggest 30-32 PSI when there are just a couple of people in the car?
Most of the service/ sales advisors have very little ownership/ car driving experience. Most of these guys do not read the manuals of the cars they sell or service. When we start asking doubts on technical, we find them fumble.
Even though only the driver and one passenger in the car (say 150 kg), the self weight of the car is still 1500 kg making the gross weight about 1650 kg, justifying the high tyre pressures required.

Quote:
Can someone please shed some light on it, And i have clocked more than 70000-80000 kms on my previous 2-3 cars which were always maintained with 30 or 32 PSI all round but i never found any early wear on the tyre or any other issue with the car.
Which were your earlier cars? They may have been fitted with tube tyres. For my earlier Maruti and Indigo Marina also, I was maintaining 30 to 34 psi (tubed tyres). My cousin's old Vista (tubed tyres) used to jump around and feel funny when filled to 36 psi, and feel better to drive when pressure was reduced. Not the case with my Fiat and VW. They require 36/36 or 36/40. With the tubeless tyres and higher unladen and gross weights, the pressures required are high. Also, lower tyre pressure and higher speeds can lead to tyres heating up, tread wear, tread peeling, sudden tyre burst, etc. Fuel Consumption also will be high (low mileage). If you are mostly driving in city conditions, start/stop traffic, the lower tyre pressures may not have mattered/ differences not noticed. Kindly go through the manual, pages 285 to 297 (chapter wheels and tyres) if possible. Even going through the warnings with bold letters and yellow high light titled boxes in the manual will throw further light.
Its better to stick to advised tyre pressures as per the sticker on your car.
alavandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:54   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Most of the service/ sales advisors have very little ownership/ car driving experience
Agreed, But i have got the same response from VW, Skoda, Toyota, Maruti, Mahindra Etc, All of them i remember clearly said maintaining 30-32 PSI is ideal, Even the sales advisor and even folks at the service centre check and maintain 32 PSI when the car visit's for servicing.

Quote:
Which were your earlier cars?
Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30- 32 PSI used the stock tyres for 50k Before i decided to change them.

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI used the tyres for about 45k Before i sold the car.

XUV 500 W8 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI used the tyres for about 50k, Then i swapped them.

XUV 500 W10 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, ODO's crossing 25k Mark without any issues.

VW Polo 1.2 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, Used it for 20k before selling the car off.

VW Jetta TDI - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, Currently ODO at 27000 Kms.

Now after using all the above cars, I have had no issues with fuel economy or Increased tyre wear or Grip levels or Even none of them had gone through any suspension work done. My cars are mostly used in city 60% and highway 40% with mostly 2 adults or 4 sometimes, Thats when i used to take the air upto 34PSI.

Quote:
Its better to stick to advised tyre pressures as per the sticker on your car.
What if VW advises tyre pressures for the autobahns through that sticker?

On the other hand i have seen the air filling guys at the pump increasing the air pressure to 40+ when i try to get the air checked in my XUV, To which i ask them to reduce it, Once a guy rudely told me, "Itna bada gaadi ka main 45 daalta hu", (Its such a big car, I fill in 45 in such cars")