Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 14:26   #2596
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

@Tanveer,

Will get the pictures out sometime this week. Its difficult to get a draft, saved and keep adding stuff to a reply. So trying to get everything together before posting that one long thread.

My piece was faulty with GPS module. I still think its the small piece of wire that connects between gps antenna in port and the small connector to the TFT mother board.

My friends a great electronics hands on guy and he basically did the soldering for me in few minutes to swap the board. I may have basically damaged those paper cables but we can easily get spares. We are planning to reverse engineer to see if we can assemble the components and even bring better features. But thats always on papers at this point.

I will post pictures of the interiors as well as the mother board in question. Like i said before this is a fantastic device when everything works. And if you have someone with knowledge of these boards you can be rest assured of servicing yourself.

I would suggest before buying to make them test the device to avoid issues. Also mirrorlink is not working in the device. It may work with pre- marshmellow, but i dont have a phone that is not marshmellow. So cannot confirm the same. But their software is not working with respect to Mirror link.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 23:53   #2597
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Tanveer,

Will get the pictures out sometime this week. Its difficult to get a draft, saved and keep adding stuff to a reply. So trying to get everything together before posting that one long thread.
Can you please link me the website you bought it from? Its not available on Aliexpress is it? I am seriously considering to get the same, Waiting for your pictures and if possible a couple of videos before biting the bullet.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 06:53   #2598
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Any of you using SD Card for Media on MIBII ? Guess MIBII is made available only on 2016 models, but am not sure of earlier MIBs had SD card slot. What type of SD card you use - SDHC or SDXC ? What audio-formats does MIBII support - just MP3s or FLACs as well ?

The MIBII user guide gives all technical specs and compatibility chart, but there'always the 'tried and it does work' comfort when someone confirms, before buying something not-so-cheap.

PS: Apparently, my iPod doesn't hook up over USB - seems MIBII supports only Fire-port devices (and I have the older Gen-5 with 28-pin port).
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 09:22   #2599
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Any of you using SD Card for Media on MIBII ? Guess MIBII is made available only on 2016 models, but am not sure of earlier MIBs had SD card slot. What type of SD card you use - SDHC or SDXC ? What audio-formats does MIBII support - just MP3s or FLACs as well ?

The MIBII user guide gives all technical specs and compatibility chart, but there'always the 'tried and it does work' comfort when someone confirms, before buying something not-so-cheap.

PS: Apparently, my iPod doesn't hook up over USB - seems MIBII supports only Fire-port devices (and I have the older Gen-5 with 28-pin port).
I use a HP 32 GB SD card with it's adaptor. So basically SDHC.
Precisely this. http://www.amazon.in/HP-Micro-class-...p+32gb+sd+card

It plays flac, m4a and mp4, apart from the normal mp3 and wav.
I'm not sure about SDXC. But SDXC is not required in a car imo. 32 GB itself can hold songs for a lifetime.

Are you getting the MIB II with the app connect unlocked?
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 10:09   #2600
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I use a HP 32 GB SD card with it's adaptor. So basically SDHC. Precisely this. http://www.amazon.in/HP-Micro-class-...p+32gb+sd+card

It plays flac, m4a and mp4, apart from the normal mp3 and wav.
I'm not sure about SDXC. But SDXC is not required in a car imo. 32 GB itself can hold songs for a lifetime.

Are you getting the MIB II with the app connect unlocked?
Thanks Bharat. Somewhere in MIBII pages I read "not to use SD card adapters", so I steer away from that. In any case, I need at least 128GB so SDXC seem to be the only option (not that am lazy to swap smaller cards, but its a pain to maintain the albums logically/sensibly in 2 cards). My favorite collection crossed 80GB now, and more CDs to rip - and all in FLACs.

Am not sure yet about the App-Connect/Car-Play, because I'ms till using an iPhone 4S, which do not support CarPlay. I will know when I pick newer iPhone, but that's only in October. But we could try (when we meet) if you have better iPhone. Octavia do support CarPlay and I saw it duringTest Drive back in January, so still surprised about the license/locked part on Jetta units.

My primary requirement for CarPlay was to push the Maps onto MIB screen (than fixing one of those mobile holders; small screen, and old-style), but then realized that Apple do not support Google Maps on CarPlay - and Apple Maps still sucks. But somehow I easily managed (can't recollect, but it was settings-change on iPhone) to push the GoogleMaps Audio onto MIBII over Bluetooth (which was not by default BT connection), so now I can get a clear crisp navigation guidance thru Jetta speakers. Yes, it interrupts Radio/Media and my daughter always curse the GoogleMaps girl, but it seems the phone connection over Bluetooth is not overridden/interrupted (and you might miss a turn) - that's bad when you're on a call.
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 11:43   #2601
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Am not sure yet about the App-Connect/Car-Play, because I'ms till using an iPhone 4S, which do not support CarPlay.
When you click on Menu and select App Connect, does it show a screen like this?
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-7d6ec15629aa92f8fe26bbb725bcd536.jpg
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:02   #2602
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
When you click on Menu and select App Connect, does it show a screen like this?
Is this picture from your jetta? The climate controls dials are different hence the question.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 07:16   #2603
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Is this picture from your jetta? The climate controls dials are different hence the question.
Just a stock pic, but the error message is the same.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:45   #2604
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

So a biker who wanted to rush through a signal while all the cars including me were waiting for the light to turn green, He did this and ran away before i could probably beat the hell out of him?

Any help would be appreciated, The scratch is deep, Deep enough towards the start end from the door's side that its also dented. I had just paid 10k for a dent on my boot of my car which was done by someone in the parking lot of a mall and now this, Time to leave this planet? Perhaps.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_2568.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_2570.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_2569.jpg
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:17   #2605
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Call me sentimental. Just leave this scar for few days. This requires proper rubbing and repainting. Unless you want to redo the whole two panels including door you should carry the scar as a war identity

Being a new car its tough to digest but remember fixing does not gaurantee a trouble free ownership. Ultimately its your peace of mind. Do what will keep you happy. Just write of the expense as donation.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:11   #2606
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Call me sentimental. Just leave this scar for few days. This requires proper rubbing and repainting. Unless you want to redo the whole two panels including door you should carry the scar as a war identity

Being a new car its tough to digest but remember fixing does not gaurantee a trouble free ownership. Ultimately its your peace of mind. Do what will keep you happy. Just write of the expense as donation.
I can probably try a quick fix with the portion which is near the tyre, So only thing remains is the door, For surely if ill give it to the Service centre, they will repaint the total door and removing the dent will easily cost me 10k i think, Claiming insurance means loosing the NCB plus playing 2000 rs just as the claim charges, Problem with me and my dad is that we cannot keep driving our car knowing its not in perfect condition, The scar on the car would be like a scar inside our head always.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:01   #2607
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Problem with me and my dad is that we cannot keep driving our car knowing its not in perfect condition, The scar on the car would be like a scar inside our head always.
In that case, I would suggest you to take the car to the workshop and get it painted, and bring it back to its original glory

The door will require full painting. I think the rear fender can be managed with some buffing and touch up. I had a similar damage (Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home) to the door in my Jetta with a minor scratch extending to the rear fender and the front door. They repainted the full door and touched up the scratches on the rear fender and front door. Cost me 8K.

Also, for this amount, I would suggest you to pay from your pocket instead of insurance claim, as losing NCB will be a bigger hit on the premiums in the following years.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:02   #2608
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Completely agree. Considering the cost of last repairs i would say insurance is there for a reason. The potential saving by NCB is already spent. If you have something like drive assure that covers depreciation as well.


I completely agree about the scar. I was fed up paying for small repairs and now completely peace of mind where i ensure interiors are top notch

Last edited by VW2010 : 2nd June 2016 at 19:04.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:08   #2609
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In that case, I would suggest you to take the car to the workshop and get it painted, and bring it back to its original glory

The door will require full painting. I think the rear fender can be managed with some buffing and touch up. I had a similar damage (Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home) to the door in my Jetta with a minor scratch extending to the rear fender and the front door. They repainted the full door and touched up the scratches on the rear fender and front door. Cost me 8K.
That was exactly what i was thinking, Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Also, for this amount, I would suggest you to pay from your pocket instead of insurance claim, as losing NCB will be a bigger hit on the premiums in the following years.
Thinking the same i did not claim the insurance last month just to save the NCB and paid 10k from my pocket, Another dent and i can see another 10k going from my pocket, Nothing feels better to have a spotless car though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Completely agree. Considering the cost of last repairs i would say insurance is there for a reason. The potential saving by NCB is already spent. If you have something like drive assure that covers depreciation as well.


I completely agree about the scar. I was fed up paying for small repairs and now completely peace of mind where i ensure interiors are top notch
Yeah, I will first take an estimate from the service centre and then take a call.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:51   #2610
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

How do I set my "favorite" channel in Radio (of Infotainment MIB) ? By default, few FM channels/stations are tagged favorite and shows up on home-screen, when I do a full-scan. Not able to tag another station as favorite from the "Stations" screen.
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks