Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 14th August 2016, 16:45   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Will get the pictures out sometime this week...
Hi,

Did you get time to get some pictures and videos? I am considering replacing the Android HU in my Polo GT TSi with a more OE look HU, and trying to choose between RCD510, DS-611 (same as DS-811, but with a smaller screen and OE look), and MIB RCD330. I have some questions on the unit. Could you please answer these? Please excuse me for the long list

1. In the three months of usage, have you found any major bugs/irritants regarding the operation of the system?
2. You had mentioned that GPS when it works, is excellent, and that the system has IGO8 maps. How is IGO8 compared to Google maps? Does it have a good map database for India, or does it lack anything? Do they provide regular map updates?
3. When you mute the music from the steering control, does it also pause the song and continue playing when you unmute?
4. I saw they provide a VW microphone for additional $20. Did you get this mic? How is the bluetooth call quality? Does the person at the other end hear your voice clearly or is there disturbances like noise, echo etc?
5. How does the TPMS work? Did you get the TPMS with external sensors or internal. They are charging an additional $85 for this system. Do you think it is worth the price?
6. What is the startup time? Once you turn on the car, how much time does it take to start playing that it was playing when it was turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
- Module was developed for LHD. So the right camera comes on when putting right indicator. THough you can have the camera on the left hand side mirror, enabling the left indicator wont switch on the camera. I have asked if they can fix this via a firm ware for our country
I did not understand this. Are there multiple cameras? How does a camera get activated when we put on an indicator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Can you please link me the website you bought it from? Its not available on Aliexpress is it? I am seriously considering to get the same, Waiting for your pictures and if possible a couple of videos before biting the bullet.
Tanveer, this is available from AudioSources.net. I got the mobile number of the contact person in the company (can PM you the number if you are interested). I asked lots of doubts and she clarified all the questions. The system costs $285 and shipping is $76 via DHL.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 00:29   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Tanveer, this is available from AudioSources.net. I got the mobile number of the contact person in the company (can PM you the number if you are interested). I asked lots of doubts and she clarified all the questions. The system costs $285 and shipping is $76 via DHL.

Yes can you please PM me? And is it just me or this seems to be a more VFM option when compared to the dynavin? Like even if customs would be charged over the product and shipping cost it would still be much cheaper than dynavins 55,000 rs, I have planned for a remap next week along with tyres swap next month and the it would be a head-unit swap.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 22:16   #2673
BHPian

I have completed three years of ownership of my Jetta and so far I have been very very happy with the car. Except for one or two minor issues the car has been very kind to me.

Anyway, I have been away from this thread for a long time, and after a cursory look I think I have missed some interesting discussion on the tire pressure and the ride comfort. I just thought I will add my two cents to that discussion.

I am on the driver’s seat like 99% of the times, so I don’t have complaints about the ride quality, but my wife and daughters who have to be in the backseat often complain that the ride is a bit harsh and leads to motion sickness sooner as compared to other cars. My cousin remarked once that for an expensive car like this, it’s not as comfortable as - say a Volvo bus. I am not sure if that’s a fair expectation, but in general let’s say that it could have been a bit better. When compared with my brother’s Honda City or my wife’s EON, both bounce up and down on bad roads, the Jetta behaves in a very stable and composed manner, so I guess these are the pros and cons of a soft vs hard suspension setup.

Keeping the tire pressure slightly lower than the recommended 34-36psi seems to work better. I consistently keep 33psi in all four tires unless there is extra load.

Besides the suspension, other possible factors that cause motion sickness in the backseat of the Jetta:

1. Could the quicker acceleration and deceleration be a factor? Surely g forces play a role in causing fatigue and motion sickness. Agreed that it’s not like a Jet plane, but the Jetta accelerates much quickly as compared to an average C segment car (and as a driver it feels great every time you go from 0-100 quickly ). Also the brakes are really good, so when you have to brake urgently (say when you didn’t spot that big, unpainted speed breaker ) it does a great job of slowing down quickly.
2. The front seats are tall and the headrests block the vision of rear occupants making it feel less airy.

Not sure how much you will agree with the above observations, but I am definitely curious to know if you or your family members have similar feedback about the backseat ride quality.

Last edited by MandarMax : 26th August 2016 at 22:29.
MandarMax is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 07:22   #2674
BANNED

I think the more competent you get in handling corners at speed especially in ghats , the more the case will be about motion sickness for the occupants at the back , drive moderately in ghats even though the car runs on rails people in the rear seat with not be able to stay upright as they will not be supported from the sides like a driver seat, got to keep that in mind.

Restrained driving is the only cure. Also rear seat occupants if asleep is ok, but lying down awake can cause motion sickness to increase.

Leave the enthused cars alone in the ghats and this problem will not happen.

Last edited by hubolt : 27th August 2016 at 07:23.
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 09:36   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Besides the suspension, other possible factors that cause motion sickness in the backseat of the Jetta:...
+1 to hubolt. As Jetta handles superbly in the ghats, we usually take the curves at a faster rate. This will cause lots of lateral movement for the other occupants (it does not affect us as we expect the direction of motion and prepare our body accordingly).

I used to have this case of motion sickness with my wife and daughter everytime I used to drive in the ghats. Now, I have changed my driving style and reduce the speed well in advance before entering the curve and accelerate mildly out of the curve. After changing the driving style, I see my family sleeping peacefully in the rear seat these days.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 10:45   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Restrained driving is the only cure. Also rear seat occupants if asleep is ok, but lying down awake can cause motion sickness to increase.

Leave the enthused cars alone in the ghats and this problem will not happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
As Jetta handles superbly in the ghats, we usually take the curves at a faster rate. This will cause lots of lateral movement for the other occupants (it does not affect us as we expect the direction of motion and prepare our body accordingly).
As a driver we enjoy driving faster on the curves and on straight roads we end up in a braking and accelerating cycle (because of speed-breakers etc.), without much regard for those in the backseat (The car makes you forget everything ). Restrained driving certainly helps.

Last edited by MandarMax : 27th August 2016 at 10:46.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 11:08   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it. If Jetta makes the backbenchers feel motion sick, imagine what Cedia would do on ghat roads? While I feel like DK Sean behind the wheel, the poor passengers in back seat vomit and swear not to ride in my car anymore. Surprisingly, front passenger never complained. Well, I can't lose the thrill, so I decided not to take backbenchers. I hire an Innova for them. Jokes apart, the all wheel independent suspension damps the body roll so much that it rolls like a boat in water. Slow roll causes motion sickness similar to sea sickness.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 16:46   #2678
BHPian

Came across this article where its rumoured that VW Jetta will be discontinued in India.

http://www.cartoq.com/meet-the-cars-...goodbye-india/
Scroll down to page#2.

Why is it saying bye?
The next generation of the Jetta will be based on the MQB and will be internationally unveiled in 2017. The Jetta hasnít seen very high volumes over the past few months across the world. Because of this, VW will most likely not launch the new Jetta in right hand drive format, which means we will not get the all new Jetta. The current Jetta will be on sale till the CKD kits of the same are available after which the model will sadly be axed.

But will be good to get MQB based version as next variant/launch.
sunsbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 17:06   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Came across this article where its rumoured that VW Jetta will be discontinued in India.

http://www.cartoq.com/meet-the-cars-...goodbye-india/
Scroll down to page#2.

Why is it saying bye?
The next generation of the Jetta will be based on the MQB and will be internationally unveiled in 2017. The Jetta hasnít seen very high volumes over the past few months across the world. Because of this, VW will most likely not launch the new Jetta in right hand drive format, which means we will not get the all new Jetta. The current Jetta will be on sale till the CKD kits of the same are available after which the model will sadly be axed.

But will be good to get MQB based version as next variant/launch.
So even countries like UK and Australia will not get it? Doesn't sound so likely does it?
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 20:50   #2680
Senior - BHPian

UK is one of the larger markets for VW in Europe as is South Africa in well Africa, so this bit about RHD version not happening sound a bit far fetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
So even countries like UK and Australia will not get it? Doesn't sound so likely does it?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 08:58   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
UK is one of the larger markets for VW in Europe as is South Africa in well Africa, so this bit about RHD version not happening sound a bit far fetched.
For small saloons, the UK is a poor market. Only the Prestige D segment upwards, are saloons popular in the UK. The Renault Fluence is not sold in the UK, nor are the Focus or Fiesta saloons.

Another issue is that the Jetta and Golf have become very different size wise. If the Jetta had merely been a booted Golf, then it would be easier to produce.

Fiat are facing the same issue with the Linea replacement.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th September 2016 at 12:09.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 10:39   #2682
BHPian

Found this on twitter, with no further details attached.
Further testament to the build quality of the Jetta (USA however).

The tweet.
Name:  fyac1TB.png
Views: 1131
Size:  310.8 KB

Pictures.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-crivumhukaaximq.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-crivumduiaav6vv.jpg
bharat4ever is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 09:44   #2683
BHPian

The front of most cars will show a similar effect on hitting the back of another due to pedestrian safety requirements. A true comparison between the two is possible when the Toyota and VW and switch places and repeat the experiment: let the VW hit the back of the Toyota at similar speeds.
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 15:33   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
The front of most cars will show a similar effect on hitting the back of another due to pedestrian safety requirements. A true comparison between the two is possible when the Toyota and VW and switch places and repeat the experiment: let the VW hit the back of the Toyota at similar speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Found this on twitter, with no further details attached.
Further testament to the build quality of the Jetta (USA however).
Been there and done that... almost a year back, kissed a Toyota Etios rear at not so high speed (idiot abruptly stopped in the middle of a highway), the Etios rear crumpled and became like a Liva hatchback. I was horrified until I saw the damage to my Jetta - a little chip off my bumper, three small punctures on the bumper (from the Etios tow hook), two missing parking sensors (which had fallen inside and had to be pulled out and put in place).

Yes, the Jetta is a tank and I can vouch for it!
AirWind is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 14:54   #2685
BANNED

Completed the 3rd service yesterday, was a month late. Had specifically instructed the service advisor to ensure that no updates were patched into the car.
He assured me that the software update I was referring to has not yet been received at the dealership and the update patches would be regular software patches unrelated to the emission incident.
Checked this morning during the commute on the fuel efficiency , no problems with that ,phew what a relief. Now to worry about next years service encounter.
hubolt is offline   Reply With Quote