Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 10:48   #661
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

A very subtle car. Some might say it is expensive but all the extra bucks is worth for the 2.0TDI engine (same as passat) and a very quick gearbox.

The highline also bridges the gap between C+ and the D segment cars with space of the former and features of the latter. It sure is a good bet.
fizaan.vakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 11:24   #662
Newbie
 
Astrallinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Turns out the wait for my Jetta is going to prolong for another 10-12 days(hoprfully). VW Downtown has been kind of cut off from VW India and there is some kind of miscommunication between them. Hopefully the car should get billed soon so I can get delivery within the auspicious days period (Dad would like that!).

Also since we have a holiday home in Lonavala we always get our cars registered on that address which knocks off the Octroi and we pay ex-Thane without Octroi rates. A good 80-90 K differece !! Works out to be a sweet deal and we're getting our Jetta CL OTR 18.45 lacs (Note : Without a single rupee discount of any kind!!)

Hope that hepls anyone having a second home outside of Mumbai.

Cheers!
Astrallinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 12:15   #663
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 893
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Depends on our POV, once you own these cars the POV really changes. I think of Jetta as a basic version of more expensive German cars Like A4, sharing most of the hardware, offering similar performance at half the price(lowest variant).
Anshu,

Gimme your honest opinion:

1. Do you think that Jetta is the best diesel car in its segment? If so, why? If not, why? Specific to me, a few important pre conditions to be taken into consideration:
* I am only talking on the manual version here and not the automatic
one.
* I only want you to consider the Trendline and Comfortline variants to
the other cars in the segment. The Highline is priced so high, that it
clearly crosses to the next segment.
2. How do you rate the 'pure quality quotient' of the car? Material quality, Build quality, Engineering etc.
3. Out of all the poor VFM variants, which variant do consider somewhat VFM: Trendline or Comfortline?

I also look at the Jetta as a stepping stone to the German brigade. I have been in A4 and Jetta is on similar lines at half the price. Cars like Cruze (despite the 166 bhp) and Corolla just won't cut it for me. Their interiors are downright average grade.

I've been keen on this car for a while now but the constant negativity surrounding the interiors on t-bhp has but me off a little. Yes, it may be a notch down on quality compared to the last gen car but is STILL so much better than the rest of the segment (= Laura). Ain't it? My car purchase is still 6-8 months away so I still have time to think about it. Your +2 cents on the topic will be highly appreciated!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 12th October 2012 at 12:20.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 13:42   #664
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,541
Thanked: 7,994 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Anshu,

Gimme your honest opinion:

1. Do you think that Jetta is the best diesel car in its segment? If so, why? If not, why? Specific to me, a few important pre conditions to be taken into consideration:
* I am only talking on the manual version here and not the automatic
one.
* I only want you to consider the Trendline and Comfortline variants to
the other cars in the segment. The Highline is priced so high, that it
clearly crosses to the next segment.
2. How do you rate the 'pure quality quotient' of the car? Material quality, Build quality, Engineering etc.
3. Out of all the poor VFM variants, which variant do consider somewhat VFM: Trendline or Comfortline?

I also look at the Jetta as a stepping stone to the German brigade. I have been in A4 and Jetta is on similar lines at half the price. Cars like Cruze (despite the 166 bhp) and Corolla just won't cut it for me. Their interiors are downright average grade.

I've been keen on this car for a while now but the constant negativity surrounding the interiors on t-bhp has but me off a little. Yes, it may be a notch down on quality compared to the last gen car but is STILL so much better than the rest of the segment (= Laura). Ain't it? My car purchase is still 6-8 months away so I still have time to think about it. Your +2 cents on the topic will be highly appreciated!
I feel Highline is overpriced for what is offers, but lower variants are worth the money, especially because even the lower variants come with Multiple Airbags and ESP as standard.

Compared to outgoing version, there is a slight dip in quality but still very very close to class best Skoda Laura, others are nowhere close.

Engine and that 6 speed manual are excellent, a perfect blend of Performance and Economy, tell me which other 2.0 litre car(of course excluding its cousin Laura) does 20kpl consistently on highways(even in AT).
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 15:34   #665
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
1. Do you think that Jetta is the best diesel car in its segment? If so, why? If not, why? Specific to me, a few important pre conditions to be taken into consideration:
* I am only talking on the manual version here and not the automatic
one.
* I only want you to consider the Trendline and Comfortline variants to
the other cars in the segment. The Highline is priced so high, that it
clearly crosses to the next segment.
2. How do you rate the 'pure quality quotient' of the car? Material quality, Build quality, Engineering etc.
3. Out of all the poor VFM variants, which variant do consider somewhat VFM: Trendline or Comfortline?
I bought a CL a month ago. The CL can be considered as the most "VFM" amongst the variants. The TL is too basic, but it has all the safety features of the CL. Even I felt that the car was overpriced compared to the competition. But, after having driven close to 1000kms, I can say that I nearly got my money's worth. I did a 500kms round trip today and the car was an absolute joy to drive. It also returned around 19kmpl as per the MID. I assume it would be atleast 17kmpl after I tank up and do the calculations. And this was with very high speeds. The gear box is a joy, slick and short. Superb composure and grip at high speeds. Lots of space, for passengers and luggage. The interior quality is also very good (except for the tacky aircon controls). Somethings I want VW to provide considering the price they charge are bluetooth connectivity and cooled seats. Wish the steering had some feel which is the only chink in the armor for an enthusiast. And the most important, premium after sales support and an extended warranty please.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 19:37   #666
BHPian
 
paras211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 601
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Why is there a difference in fuel economy figures of auto and manual?
I ve always assumed that dsg gearboxes having no torque converter are the same or more efficient as shifts are better than a manual gb.
paras211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 23:58   #667
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Smile Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

It all comes down to personal preferences. Unfortunately in India the VFM tag is best suited for the cars priced in and above the D segment pricing, where VFM being a combination of driving pleasure + sheer satisfaction of being pampered.

In Jetta's case, sure the company has ripped the car to its bare minimal and priced it on the typical German characteristics. Even in the US, though having its proposition, the suspension takes the beating to make it into the VFM territory ( Rear has a torsion beam set up in the US).

Comparing the Jetta to what the competition has to offer, it does fall behind by a huge margin. But as a package it does not( safety kit).

Once in a while it does feel good to get more bang for the bucks paid. It would put a smile on our face to mute the audio from the rear bench to answer phone calls without prompting the driver. But that's as far as the back bench is concerned. But behind the wheel it may not be the same story.

The VFM cars out there either offer one of these two characteristics or foreshadowing one another. It is so with the German trait that they do demand more for what they have to offer. Here i shall get the point where being German in origin skoda does offer for what one pays, but Jetta compensates that with safety.

The after sales, Leaving out skoda( the horrible ever in the history) every other manufacturer be it Germans, Japanese or the Koreans all had their share of niggles, defects and etc. All of which have been discussed on the forum. Hopefully now that VW has got it mass share things should get better.

Talking of personal pref, VW is betting big on Jetta's utility and premium upmarket feel. It is no irony that Jetta is being admired for its looks, driving pleasure, build quality( the car doesnt fall apart, and the 'THUD' ), but the present after sales has been a major put off for the otherwise reputable car.

A few rational add-ons

1. Auto climate control

2. Keyless Entry

3. Solar glass/ Shades

and Jetta would win many hearts over heads, After all we start to compare when our head wins over our heart.


I personally would prefer - Jetta. No matter what, though have to pay for the hefty tag.


1. Would love being asked whether the car is an audi!? rather being asked is it a Verna ( no offense to whomsoever concerned, had to compare as it being very much into the VFM category)

2. Bumpers do not fall off , A tank indeed.

3. Peace of mind, A smile on my face , people start to yawn - Drivers delight.

4. Stretch my legs, rather burying them under the front seat.


( key less Entry - premium, but can live without.

Auto ac - Simple on/off better than the circulation mode.

Sunroof - would have loved it.

projectors - I hear the stocks are very good.

cooled seats - Hmm. Shall search for parking space under trees.

start/ stop button - Once pushed the engine is what really matters.

Leather seats - Anyways need maintenance for every 2 years leatherette would do )


If there had been some other car that did what exactly Jetta is capable of doing for a much lesser price( Nowhere to be seen as of now( European union deal might change this), thanks to the taxing in india) Then will be the time where jetta would be off throne.

I slated down my opinions. All of which are unbiased.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 12:59   #668
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 230
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. While all of us want to get the max for the hard earned money we put down but then usually something that would work for one would not work for the other e.g. Self drive vis a vis being chauffeured around.

When we talk of VFM, while it needs to be looked at comparably within a segment - but am sure for most people looking at D segment - they are already making a stretch & willing to put down some big bucks to buy a car.

I love cars & I love to drive & given an unlimited supply of Vit M probably very different cars would be there in the garage.

Having said that & coming back to reality, personally for me this 1+ year that I have owned the Jetta it has been pure pleasure - being a self drive for me 99% of the time (the other 1% being when the wifey drives). And if I have to think of an upgrade (not that I am looking for one in the near future) there is no car currently in India (that I can think of) which for me will really feel as an upgrade; unless I spend almost double the money what I had spent for the Jetta.

It ticks all the right boxes for me -

- Engine
- Gear box
- Safety
- Driving pleasure
- Efficiency
- Comfort
- Space
- Build quality
- Looks

Now I am not saying that it is perfect. There are things like a Sunroof, Xenons & ACC which would have made it a much more complete package but then these are things that I (personally) am OK to overlook compared to what I have. And if I have to take a call again, I am sure I will plonk that extra money & go for it again vis-a-vis say a more feature laden Elantra
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:54   #669
Newbie
 
Astrallinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Turns out our alotted Jetta TDI CL was delayed from the factory itself due to 'reasons beyond VW's control' but it helped in one way and that is that I could squeeze out a cool 30K discount for delayed delivery from Downtown Mumbai showroom.

I was previously quite annoyed with Downtown Mumbai but turns out that even they could not really do anything about it. But all in all it has been satisfactory given that they offered the discount.The Sales guys at Downtown and really helpful and they have given very good service so far.

So we take delivery first thing tomorrow morning with it being Dasera and all. Its painful to build up to the wait but when it comes to the moment , its the best feeling ever! Also since my mother thinks we're getting a Vento, should be fun to see her expression when she looks at what we've bought.

I've bet 500 bucks with my sis that she won't know the difference between the 2 cars !!

Anyway just thought I would share some details, will put up some pics of the Moonrock Silver soon.(this colour has been discontinued BTW)

Going to take the PDI list along. Make sure everything is right.
Astrallinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:51   #670
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrallinc View Post
Turns out our alotted Jetta TDI CL was delayed from the factory itself due to 'reasons beyond VW's control' but it helped in one way and that is that I could squeeze out a cool 30K discount for delayed delivery from Downtown Mumbai showroom.

I was previously quite annoyed with Downtown Mumbai but turns out that even they could not really do anything about it. But all in all it has been satisfactory given that they offered the discount.The Sales guys at Downtown and really helpful and they have given very good service so far.

So we take delivery first thing tomorrow morning with it being Dasera and all. Its painful to build up to the wait but when it comes to the moment , its the best feeling ever! Also since my mother thinks we're getting a Vento, should be fun to see her expression when she looks at what we've bought.

I've bet 500 bucks with my sis that she won't know the difference between the 2 cars !!

Anyway just thought I would share some details, will put up some pics of the Moonrock Silver soon.(this colour has been discontinued BTW)

Going to take the PDI list along. Make sure everything is right.


Congrats!! Tomorrow being a very auspicious day, all shall fall in place for you.

A great car indeed. Do let us know your mother's reaction, and who won the bet. Btw i was told that Monnrock silver was the new color being added to the inventory in the later half of 2012, being discontinued already???

Any idea what is the new color that was introduced? apparently that was a new color by vw for jetta apart from Moonrock silver
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 14:54   #671
Newbie
 
Astrallinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congrats!! Tomorrow being a very auspicious day, all shall fall in place for you.

A great car indeed. Do let us know your mother's reaction, and who won the bet. Btw i was told that Monnrock silver was the new color being added to the inventory in the later half of 2012, being discontinued already???

Any idea what is the new color that was introduced? apparently that was a new color by vw for jetta apart from Moonrock silver
Thank you! And yes we have finally taken delivery of the Jetta yestreday. It was a delightful experience and I could not have had a better one all thanks to Downtown Mumbai guys! They gave us a framed 'key handover photo', a slick VW keychain, some Patchi chocolates,detailed presentation of the car. Perfect!

The initial hitch was with delivery but these guys came through at the end. They had42 deliveries on Dassehra which included 3 Jettas (mine included).

Well I was wrong afterall! Mom saw a Jetta (ours) parked outside and right behind it was a Silver Vento, which she was told is ours(by us). She was confused becoz she knew we were getting a Silverish beige color(which the Vento wasnt) and the Jetta (which she recognised) was that colour!

But yeah she was surprised when she knew though its hitting her more now than at that moment. We have a funny video of the moment.

Yes Moonrock was introduced recently and is on the same lines as the 'Silver leaf' they sold before. I know its been discontinued but no idea about any other new colour that I know of. VW is very vague on the Jetta production line,their strategy is very confusing.

Will let you know if I come across any news.

I am not sure if I can post pictures alond with this comment itself? I'll put some up once I know its ok.
Astrallinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 18:28   #672
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrallinc View Post
Thank you! And yes we have finally taken delivery of the Jetta yestreday. It was a delightful experience and I could not have had a better one all thanks to Downtown Mumbai guys! They gave us a framed 'key handover photo', a slick VW keychain, some Patchi chocolates,detailed presentation of the car. Perfect!

The initial hitch was with delivery but these guys came through at the end. They had42 deliveries on Dassehra which included 3 Jettas (mine included).

Well I was wrong afterall! Mom saw a Jetta (ours) parked outside and right behind it was a Silver Vento, which she was told is ours(by us). She was confused becoz she knew we were getting a Silverish beige color(which the Vento wasnt) and the Jetta (which she recognised) was that colour!

But yeah she was surprised when she knew though its hitting her more now than at that moment. We have a funny video of the moment.

Yes Moonrock was introduced recently and is on the same lines as the 'Silver leaf' they sold before. I know its been discontinued but no idea about any other new colour that I know of. VW is very vague on the Jetta production line,their strategy is very confusing.

Will let you know if I come across any news.

I am not sure if I can post pictures alond with this comment itself? I'll put some up once I know its ok.

Congrats once again!!
Haha, I can imagine the look on her face. Do post some pictures of the car. And true dunno whats with the strategy vw has for Jetta i am sure it aint anything exciting or appreciating. For now only hope is that the after sales service shall get better.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 20:04   #673
BHPian
 
Chetanya Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta/Mumbai
Posts: 65
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Long overdue of my thread. I thought I would post some pictures in the meanwhile.

The car will be 2 months old on 27th of this month and has clocked 3055kms. Took it 3M once for a foam wash after the rains and got some Meguiars stuff.

First picture: Just back from 3M (foam wash) and polished with some Meguiars and Armorall.

Second picture: White LED DRLs

Third Picture: Weekend wash and polish in progress
Attached Images
   

Last edited by Chetanya Sharma : 25th October 2012 at 20:06. Reason: Captions
Chetanya Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 15:03   #674
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Got the latest prices from VW Bangalore dealer.

I asked about discounts - Answer was "exchange bonus of Rs 30,000 this festive season" - that is all
Has any one come across better prices / discounts.

Interestingly they indicated delivery period as 3 to 4 weeks only.

Prices look way too high now - with Fluence offering 1.2 lakh discount.

Seems as if VW just does not want to push Jetta - and is focussing all thier efforts on Polo and Vento.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf october my12 prices.pdf (1.05 MB, 425 views)
Ajith-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:06   #675
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Got the latest prices from VW Bangalore dealer.

I asked about discounts - Answer was "exchange bonus of Rs 30,000 this festive season" - that is all
Has any one come across better prices / discounts.

Interestingly they indicated delivery period as 3 to 4 weeks only.

Prices look way too high now - with Fluence offering 1.2 lakh discount.

Seems as if VW just does not want to push Jetta - and is focussing all thier efforts on Polo and Vento.
Strong agree - I have been checking with dealers in Delhi and Chandigarh and there is only a modest attempt to push Jetta.
Delhi on-road: 22.03 L, Chandigarh: on-road: 19.7 L - only includes the exchange discount of 30k and not corporate (which has come down to 25k )

I also need some feedback / help - Dealer and Area Manager in Chandigarh telling me of a 2-3 month wait on Toffee Brown & Platinum grey (colors in love) - did fellows here experience so much delay? I can't wait much after i TD the car
drag_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report sammycoolster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 15 13th November 2012 00:48
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks