Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 18:55   #691
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,730
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Hi all,

We have closed on Brio S MT model in Goa for my dad.
Dealer "Coastal Honda" is providing:
1) Insurance @ Rs.1/- (approx. 13k)
2) 2 Years extended warranty
3) 2 Years road side assistance
4) Floor mats

I was of the opinion that the above offers came from dealer, however I learnt today from a news article that its coming directly from Honda Motors and not from dealer.
You are surely getting a great deal! The 2+2 warranty and roadside assistance was 7k when I bought my Brio a little over two weeks ago. Had to pay the insurance as well which was included in the OTR price of the car. So essentially, they are giving you an effective discount of ~20k on the car.

What is the OTR price you are paying?

If you are getting all of the above mentioned items then it surely is a great deal. You can do your bit and push for the mudguards. The OEM seat covers cost ~5k and it is unlikely the dealer will part with that for free.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 23:55   #692
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 579
Thanked: 615 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Just heard from someone who runs a Honda dealership that given the demand for it - Honda is seriously considering launching an Automatic option in the Brio by year end.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 09:13   #693
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,015
Thanked: 3,556 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Just heard from someone who runs a Honda dealership that given the demand for it - Honda is seriously considering launching an Automatic option in the Brio by year end.
Depending on whom you believe the launch date may be August / September / October (Deepawali). It will be a CVT. You saw pics of it in the pre launch photographs put out by Honda, and also on their Thailand site.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:15   #694
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Just heard from someone who runs a Honda dealership that given the demand for it - Honda is seriously considering launching an Automatic option in the Brio by year end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Depending on whom you believe the launch date may be August / September / October (Deepawali). It will be a CVT. You saw pics of it in the pre launch photographs put out by Honda, and also on their Thailand site.
Now that's a good piece of news! There is a good chance of me getting a car next year for self/dad - and this might be the one.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:13   #695
BHPian
 
sary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Goa
Posts: 173
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
What is the OTR price you are paying?

If you are getting all of the above mentioned items then it surely is a great deal. You can do your bit and push for the mudguards. The OEM seat covers cost ~5k and it is unlikely the dealer will part with that for free.
Thanks gpa, well the OTR comes ~ 3.77 put together all offers and discounts also thanks to reasonable road tax charged in Goa state.

On accessories part, I spoke to the SE and he claims nothing more can be done as the 2 year extended warranty and roadside assist is paid by dealer himself. Today I also spoke to a Bangalore dealer (Whitefield Honda) and they have agreed to provide either parking sensor or all 4 mud guards provided I book a vehicle today. Please note, its only verbal commitment and not in writing. I am using my tricks to get it written somehow so that I can talk to Goa dealer on same. For now we have only paid booking amount of 21k and rest will pay when the car arrives (possibly this Saturday) at the dealership.
I will push for all 4 mud flaps while making the payment and seat covers can be purchased at ~5k.

Regards,
Sary
sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:46   #696
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,015
Thanked: 3,556 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Now that's a good piece of news! There is a good chance of me getting a car next year for self/dad - and this might be the one.
I even saw a figure 5.75L (ex-showroom I guess). I need to change my Santro and am waiting for a decent Honda hatch. Incidentally, the Brio AT may give the i10AT and the i20 MT a run for their money.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:08   #697
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7,984
Thanked: 6,063 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Personally, I would never buy a CVT'd Brio. But I'd definitely recommend it to people looking for an AT hatch. Even though the 'box would be unresponsive, it does the job for the person looking for an AT car in the 4-6 lakh bracket.

Expect the AT to be considerably higher though. And possibly available only on one or maximum two variants.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:18   #698
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,015
Thanked: 3,556 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

@suhaas307; I was myself surprised at the price. As for variants it has been standard practice to give the AT on the second from top version. Now they are getting a bit wiser, adding things like rear discs, etc. Any AT is bound to be heavier on the brakes. I think the main market for the Brio AT is going to be as a second car, a local runabout. Here the competition is pretty pathetic - i10, i20, Dzire and the much smaller A-star.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 17:21   #699
BHPian
 
sary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Goa
Posts: 173
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
the OTR comes ~ 3.77
Please read it as "the OTR comes ~ 4.77 "

Mods, I am not sure if this can be merged to my earlier post.

Regards,
Sary
sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 22:29   #700
Senior - BHPian
 
S350L-E240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: India
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Some info from my side, Ignore it if you want as I am no expert in this segment but might help a few,

1. Buy this car only if it's your second / third or 100th car, if it's your first car and going to be the only car do avoid it, it lacks a few basics, and the suspension is pathetic, Honda could easily have a marketing slogan saying, "Honda Brio! It breaks your back!" A recent trip in the old city and I proposed to my dad who's 75 and a self driver, let's take the small Brio, he was like why? So when we return I go straight for an X-Ray of my back?

Jokes apart,

Yes some may find it hot looking, some may find it cute looking, but keeping looks aside there is a lot of practical aspects where Honda has skipped on, Last night we go out on a drive, it starts raining, guess what? Entire rear glass gets pretty close to 0 visibility, and finally we just get back home and swap cars.

And let's really quit this Honda and it's quality stuff, I have a sun visor thats tearing, Seat thats pretty much lost any lateral support and gives you a hunch, Lots of rattling in the dash area specifically over the centre console, and for anyone who is into fuel efficiency believe me this is not the path I would recommend at all.

Yes some may say it feels more planted etc. but seriously in this segment how does it even come into picture? It's not like one buys an i10 for the family and the Brio for the track, fine it maybe a little agile but lets not make it sound like it's miles ahead of the others because it maybe 15% more agile than the i10, but every thing else as a package and the i10 walks over this car.

Yes, buying because one fancies a Honda is ok, but neutrally this car needs a lot of work.

It's a good car yes, but not one I would recommend as yet if this will be your only car.

And for anyone who wants to know I've done 8200 Kms on it,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 00:14   #701
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mysore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
.. and for anyone who is into fuel efficiency believe me this is not the path I would recommend at all.
Shucks..I was hoping that the Brio would have the best FE of the almost-premium hatchbacks. What kind of FE did you get in the city / highway?
qaqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 11:56   #702
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 579
Thanked: 615 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Some info from my side, Ignore it if you want as I am no expert in this segment but might help a few,

1. Buy this car only if it's your second / third or 100th car, if it's your first car and going to be the only car do avoid it, it lacks a few basics, and the suspension is pathetic, Honda could easily have a marketing slogan saying, "Honda Brio! It breaks your back!" A recent trip in the old city and I proposed to my dad who's 75 and a self driver, let's take the small Brio, he was like why? So when we return I go straight for an X-Ray of my back?

Jokes apart,

Yes some may find it hot looking, some may find it cute looking, but keeping looks aside there is a lot of practical aspects where Honda has skipped on, Last night we go out on a drive, it starts raining, guess what? Entire rear glass gets pretty close to 0 visibility, and finally we just get back home and swap cars.

And let's really quit this Honda and it's quality stuff, I have a sun visor thats tearing, Seat thats pretty much lost any lateral support and gives you a hunch, Lots of rattling in the dash area specifically over the centre console, and for anyone who is into fuel efficiency believe me this is not the path I would recommend at all.

Yes some may say it feels more planted etc. but seriously in this segment how does it even come into picture? It's not like one buys an i10 for the family and the Brio for the track, fine it maybe a little agile but lets not make it sound like it's miles ahead of the others because it maybe 15% more agile than the i10, but every thing else as a package and the i10 walks over this car.

Yes, buying because one fancies a Honda is ok, but neutrally this car needs a lot of work.

It's a good car yes, but not one I would recommend as yet if this will be your only car.

And for anyone who wants to know I've done 8200 Kms on it,

Regards,
That is indeed a crying shame. Can other owners shed some light on this - is the suspension really bad? I was looking forward to getting the AT when it is launched - I want as tiny an AT hatch as possible so my other 2 options were the A-Star and the i10.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 12:11   #703
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
That is indeed a crying shame. Can other owners shed some light on this - is the suspension really bad? I was looking forward to getting the AT when it is launched - I want as tiny an AT hatch as possible so my other 2 options were the A-Star and the i10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Shucks..I was hoping that the Brio would have the best FE of the almost-premium hatchbacks. What kind of FE did you get in the city / highway?
I would like to reply to the above since i have been driven S350L-E240's Brio many many times in City as well drove it on Highway to Baroda as well as Mt. Abu. The car holds it self well in terms of stability but when it comes to suspension and FE. Its just not there. Everytime we are driving around with the ladies, we make it a point to slow the car down to the slowest possible speed and get over the speed breaker, be it a small one of a BIG one. And have to give a " SPEED BREAKER" alert before hand.

Coming to the Fuel Economy, even i was shocked when he called me once and told me that he is getting consistent economy of 9-10 kmpl. The reason he called me was, at the time of his car purchase he wanted to get i10 AT and i told him " AT will give you 9-10 kmpl, dont go for it, get a MT; atleast you will get 12-13kmpl" & he ended up getting Brio MT over i10 MT /AT as it was a new entrant

We have about 2-3 Jazz in family & Close friends and from my limited understanding i thought that since both cars are on same engine platform and Brio being lighter in terms of weight, should give at least same mileage as jazz if not more.

One of the biggest issues we have now faced in his car is the absence of rear wipper / defogger. One small showers and he was forced to return home and change car. Honda should seriously address this issue and find a solution.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 9th June 2012 at 12:31.
h@r$h@l is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 12:16   #704
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
That is indeed a crying shame. Can other owners shed some light on this - is the suspension really bad? I was looking forward to getting the AT when it is launched - I want as tiny an AT hatch as possible so my other 2 options were the A-Star and the i10.
I dont know if its the suspension or whatever, but the Brio bottomed out on two speed breakers that I was confident an i10 would have sailed thru! This was my Dad's brand new Brio. I was extremely careful the second time it touched and my heart skipped a beat when that happened. I was so scared of breakers after that. There were 4 passengers in the car.

Brio is a good car with lot of positives. But this one aspect is really one big question mark, for anybody contemplating buying it. That was one big reason I was scared of buying the ANHC AT. However Brio would be good if there are only 2 passengers on board.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 12:21   #705
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 517 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
It's a good car yes, but not one I would recommend as yet if this will be your only car.

And for anyone who wants to know I've done 8200 Kms on it,

Regards,
Real eye opener. I always thought Brio to be a nice lifestyle car, especially for young enthusiasts/couples and not as a single family car(which i10, Swifts are IMHO). It can make a nice second car but lack of rear wiper, defogger is a serious omission.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic getsurya Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 6th June 2017 20:43
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017 kpzen The Indian Car Scene 377 6th September 2015 02:55
Stig gets Brio'ed! Red Honda Brio SMT (O) adityasiera Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 16th March 2015 19:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks