Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 19:56   #226
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
For navigation, I would recommend Google navigation on an android mobile with big screen. It's more accurate than any navigation system that money can buy. :-)
I wish you were true amalji. Google maps, especially in India is many times way off the mark and not at all accurate. For an ongoing discussion of the same have a look at this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...bsolete-8.html (Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?)

I don't know other navigation products which can be integrated with the present head unit though.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 20:36   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

I wish you were true amalji. Google maps, especially in India is many times way off the mark and not at all accurate. For an ongoing discussion of the same have a look at this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...bsolete-8.html (Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?)

I don't know other navigation products which can be integrated with the present head unit though.
Having used both MapmyIndia and Google maps, I'm confident that MapmyIndia is obsolete thing. Google maps just rocks, taking you to every nook and corner of the country. With MapmyIndia, it's pure luck especially when it enters rural areas. Try out both for a month each and you will relate to what I'm saying.
PS: i was also a fan of offline navigation an year or so back. I've made posts regarding that as well. But, right now, Google maps is the one to go with.
amalji is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 20:43   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 44
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Having used both MapmyIndia and Google maps, I'm confident that MapmyIndia is obsolete thing. Google maps just rocks, taking you to every nook and corner of the country. With MapmyIndia, it's pure luck especially when it enters rural areas. Try out both for a month each and you will relate to what I'm saying.
PS: i was also a fan of offline navigation an year or so back. I've made posts regarding that as well. But, right now, Google maps is the one to go with.
Absolutely agree. Just came back from a trip to coorg. Google maps and even Bing maps on my wife's Windows phone were pretty reliable. We had a friend who had a Garmin set with him. It only registered big/ known roads. Our phone maps were much more upto date and more granular/ detailed. The default map from coorg to kabini was a rural road, with gmaps having every single lane identified and it guided us. Having the ability to select a different route was seriously missed on the phone though.

Last edited by amitdan : 14th June 2013 at 20:44.
amitdan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 10:04   #229
BHPian
 
Dr.Nishath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 47
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Could you please post some photos of it?
@amalji.I am guessing you wanted the pics of the leather seats. Posting a couple here.The entire set is available in the Karlssons thread in the Bangalore forum of the T-BHP directory along with the details
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-p1870534.jpg  

Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-p1870501.jpg  

Dr.Nishath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 11:33   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nishath View Post
Hi Everybody,
Have gotten her the 3M treatment at 3M,Hsr layout and decked her with leather from Karlssons for now.Am in the market for a decent navigation unit and a reverse parking sensor console(with camera).I don't want to get rid of my OEM pioneer HU at the moment..Any ideas?

Attaching some pics...
Dear Nishath,
Congratulations on your new ride, my apologies work kept me off Team BHP even though it is perennially logged in on my system.
The leathers look very good and they go well with the interiors. Regarding the navigation stuff, MMI & Google Maps are quite decent. Have used MMI whilst travelling to RJ and they did not give up on me. You would need to keep upgrading the maps say once a year atleast. Google Maps was used only twice but I do not have extensive exposure to it.

For the parking sensors with camera, suggest you to go for a rear view mirror that doubles up as a display since I take it that you are not keen on watching movies and do not want to add any additional displays on the Etios Dashboard. Because of the speedometer's position in the center I feel that it might look very cluttered. Shall PM you the details of my friend who manages the an accessory shop in Jayanagar.

Congrats Once Again.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 14:19   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Having the ability to select a different route was seriously missed on the phone though.
Google maps does have that option. After starting navigation, click on the menu button of the phone, then select routes and alternates. Then click on alternate route icon. Google maps will then show you 2 or 3 alternate routes. Just select the one you prefer. :-)

Posting a snapshot of how the alternate route looks like.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130615_212853.png
Views: 4768
Size:  187.0 KB

Last edited by Eddy : 15th June 2013 at 23:47. Reason: As requested
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 23:30   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

@ Long term users-

I am looking at buying either a Liva GD (SP) or an Etios VD (SP)- not decided which one. The guidance I need are:
- I read somewhere that the Etios has a more composed ride, primarily due to its slightly longer wheelbase. Is that correct?
- I understand the Etios also sits a wee bit higher. Is that perceptible? I have occasional back-pain. So even a little bit means a lot to me. Low cars are a strict no-no. I once had a Civic, and I still shudder at the memories of getting into/out of Civic with back pain but this is OT for this thread.

On the whole, is it worth the extra spend to buy the Etios over the Liva?
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 23:52   #233
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,384 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
@ Long term users-

I am looking at buying either a Liva GD (SP) or an Etios VD (SP)- not decided which one. The guidance I need are:
- I read somewhere that the Etios has a more composed ride, primarily due to its slightly longer wheelbase. Is that correct?
- I understand the Etios also sits a wee bit higher. Is that perceptible? I have occasional back-pain. So even a little bit means a lot to me. Low cars are a strict no-no. I once had a Civic, and I still shudder at the memories of getting into/out of Civic with back pain but this is OT for this thread.

On the whole, is it worth the extra spend to buy the Etios over the Liva?
1. Yes. The Etios has a more composed ride. The Liva feels slightly less confident.

2. I think both are the same but the biggest difference is that the new Etios VD has a seat height adjust but the Liva GD does not. This makes a huge difference. The range for adjusting the seat height is simply awesome in the ETios.

My choice goes for the Etios VD SP. I love that flat bottomed steering and you get a tachometer. The extra features are worth the premium.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 00:01   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Smile Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
2. I think both are the same but the biggest difference is that the new Etios VD has a seat height adjust but the Liva GD does not. This makes a huge difference. The range for adjusting the seat height is simply awesome in the ETios.
As per http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx
The Liva GD does have the height adjustment feature.
amalji is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:31   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My choice goes for the Etios VD SP. I love that flat bottomed steering and you get a tachometer. The extra features are worth the premium.
Yesterday, I went to Harsha Toyota for servicing my Innova (170k service). I took the occasion to test drive the Etios once again. My perception of why I think I will go for Etios was reinforced. It does most things well, and nothing badly, to paraphrase the TD review. Also, while paying the (very reasonable) 4.5 k for the Innova service, I did some deep-dive into the Etios service costs. Brownie points to Toyota once again. I also spoke to a few Etios owners who had come to collect their cars. Their reactions ranged from very happy to mildly unhappy that their Etios is not specced like the Altis for the same money .

The positive points are getting reinforced. Let me see the best deal I can wrangle out of the competing dealers.

@Members, any idea about the kind of deals Toyota is offering on Etios diesel these days?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-etios-service-cost.jpg  

Contrapunto is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 16:40   #236
BHPian
 
Dr.Nishath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 47
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Yesterday, I went to Harsha Toyota for servicing my Innova (170k service). I took the occasion to test drive the Etios once again. My perception of why I think I will go for Etios was reinforced. It does most things well, and nothing badly, to paraphrase the TD review. Also, while paying the (very reasonable) 4.5 k for the Innova service, I did some deep-dive into the Etios service costs. Brownie points to Toyota once again. I also spoke to a few Etios owners who had come to collect their cars. Their reactions ranged from very happy to mildly unhappy that their Etios is not specced like the Altis for the same money .

The positive points are getting reinforced. Let me see the best deal I can wrangle out of the competing dealers.

@Members, any idea about the kind of deals Toyota is offering on Etios diesel these days?
+1 to that.I've done 700kms this month and am satisfied to say the least.I'm due for my first service this weekend.Will find out and let you know what the situation is, here in Bangalore.I can categorically state that you could easily knock 20k off the OTR, but if i were you,i'd wait for some more time,so that Toyota could feel the full pressure of the strong Amaze and Ecosport sales.More power to you

cheers
Dr.Nishath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 18:43   #237
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in Team-BHP and would like to share my experience in buying Toyota Etios-VD-SP 2013 edition couple of months back.

My buying criteria
1. Sedan-Diesel with decent mileage
2. Under 10 L
3. Low maintenance
4. Good boot space
5. Reliability and availability of service centres
6. ABS, Airbags

I had certain apprehension on buying the earlier Etios 2012 edition due to
1. No height adjustable seats
2. High NVH
3. Very boring music system in the highest end model

I did quite some research and did a test drive of the choices which were Toyota Etios ,Tata Manza, Chevrolet Sail and Honda Amaze. Each of these cars were having their own pros and cons.

But after the new etios 2013 was launched I quickly made a decision to purchase the car. I also got a good deal for exchange of my older Santro from Ravindu Toyota.

Overall my experience of driving the car for 2000 plus kilometres and 1st servicing is as below
Positives
1. Excellent space for seating even with people who are 6 ft both in front and rear seats
2. Good head room and leg room
3. Great boot space 595 L
4. Very smooth handling of the steering
5. Could go to almost 130 kmpl with smooth acceleration without any issue,
6. Better NVH management
7. Indicators on mirrors
8. Better blue lighting on the dashboard
9. Classy beige interior
10. Gray color availability (My personal favoraite)
11. Mobile bluetooth connectivity in the music system which is much needed and better than the earlier one
12. Sturdy build and some good aesthetic changes in looks


Areas of Improvement (Even though most of them are not really major issues)
1. Lesser thigh support but can be taken care as I put up leather seats on top of the regular seats
2. No EVRMs not sure why ? I am planning to get them installed separately. Any suggestions on where I can get them installed in Bangalore
3. Could have given mobile pick up and cancel buttons on the steering mounted controls
4. No 5th Alloy wheel
5. Could have given arm rest for the driver (Though I got one installed separately separately)
6. Still flap type door handles (It is high time Toyota changes them to pull style)
7. No auto lock of doors based on speed
8. Even though they say the suspensions are now high I could feel that they are little soft. With 5 people and a little luggage-2 suitcases the chassis touches some of the higher speed breakers on the bangalore road. The ride and suspension however were very good otherwise and comfortable

Anyways it met all my criteria and was a good choice among the available choices for my criteria and I am very happy and a proud owner of the Toyota Etios.

Thanks
AT
amit.toshniwal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 22:24   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
As per http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx
The Liva GD does have the height adjustment feature.
@amalji @Vid6639, I presume you have put in quite a few Kms in the Etios by now. How do you rate the ergonomics, especially that of the driver's seat and its suitability for long drives without inducing back pain? This has been a major problem for me in a number of cars, but I have finally found nirvana in the Innova . I can drive the Innova all day without any pain or fatigue. How do you rate the Etios in comparison?
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 22:39   #239
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Thumbs up Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
@amalji @Vid6639, I presume you have put in quite a few Kms in the Etios by now. How do you rate the ergonomics, especially that of the driver's seat and its suitability for long drives without inducing back pain? This has been a major problem for me in a number of cars, but I have finally found nirvana in the Innova . I can drive the Innova all day without any pain or fatigue. How do you rate the Etios in comparison?
Ergonomics of driver seat on Etios is a big
I used to get back pain on Esteem ( or rather tired upper back rather than pain as such ). On the Etios, never an issue. It's neither too soft, nor too hard. The maximum distance I've done in a day is around 750 kms.
Having said that, I'm not sure how well it compares with the Innova front seat.

Other points to Note
  • I own a 2011 Etios. The new 2013 Etios has a different design. It's supposed to be better than the old one. But, I haven't tried it out on long drives. For short drives, it was pretty good.
  • It's highly recommended that you try it out yourself for atleast a 100 kms just to be sure. You should not make a mistake on this especially since you normally does have the back issue irritating you.
  • Even though the front seat ergonomics are excellent, the rear seat is not that great. It's too soft for my liking. A softer seat ==> lesser back support ==> more comfortable short to medium drives and less comfortable when it's a long drive. ( The rear seats of the 2013 model is supposed to be stiffer than the old model as per the Service center guys )

Last edited by amalji : 17th July 2013 at 22:42.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 14:09   #240
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

@amalji and other owners, What's the kind of real-world FE you're getting in your car? I have heard all kinds of viewpoints, but its only long-term owners paying their hard-earned at fuel pumps money who can give the most definitive opinion on this :-)
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review Vid6639 Official New Car Reviews 479 11th December 2017 15:06
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 968 5th December 2017 12:15
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 217 8th November 2017 20:48
My Toyota Etios Diesel - 3 years & 45,000 km update AJ-got-BHP Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 85 22nd October 2017 10:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks