Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th July 2013, 15:04   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
@amalji and other owners, What's the kind of real-world FE you're getting in your car? I have heard all kinds of viewpoints, but its only long-term owners paying their hard-earned at fuel pumps money who can give the most definitive opinion on this :-)
Hello Contra,
Below is the FE that I get out of my Etios VD:-
City - 13.5-14 km/l (100% AC)
Highway - Around 21 km/l (100% AC)
My car has done around 19K's & I keep tire pressure of 32psi all around,irrespective of the load. The highway figures can be improved to 22-23 km/l, but I have a heavy foot on highways.

Since Hyderabad traffic is not as bad as Mumbai, you will surely see better figures.

I had done a FE test on my Etios with Toyota A.S.S, in my ownership thread. It's not as good as Amalji's, but it may help you.
Check it out:-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2822486 (My Black Tuxedo - Toyota Etios VD !)

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:23   #242
BHPian

Hello All,

I need suggestion and guidence with respect to a small issue I have observed in my Etios GD (3000km). While AC is on and air is on internal recycle mode, I have observed that sometimes outside air is still coming inside. When ever I am passing a Garbage dump, the stentch/smell is coming inside the car even with recycle mode on.

I wanted to check if anyone one of you have same issue. I had checked with Toyota service center and heard that they have also heard similar issue on couple of other Etios cars.
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Hello All,

I need suggestion and guidence with respect to a small issue I have observed in my Etios GD (3000km). While AC is on and air is on internal recycle mode, I have observed that sometimes outside air is still coming inside. When ever I am passing a Garbage dump, the stentch/smell is coming inside the car even with recycle mode on.

I wanted to check if anyone one of you have same issue. I had checked with Toyota service center and heard that they have also heard similar issue on couple of other Etios cars.
Do not have such issues. Get it checked @ Toyota. Should be a minor glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
@amalji and other owners, What's the kind of real-world FE you're getting in your car? I have heard all kinds of viewpoints, but its only long-term owners paying their hard-earned at fuel pumps money who can give the most definitive opinion on this :-)
Mine varies between 14 kmpl and 21 kmpl depending on the kind of traffic and the kind of mood I'm driving. But, if you drive in a decent way, expect > 19 kmpl always on the highways. And if you are a smooth driver, you can get 20+ easily.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 23:47   #244
Senior - BHPian

Just picked up the Classic Gray Etios VD-SP a couple of days back.

We were in the market for a reliable, spacious, fuel efficient, low maintenance sedan that had good service, was easy to drive in the city, and had a soft suspension for city usage.
Trunk was needed for airport trips, and household chores - a problem we realized when we had the Liva.

Overall, nothing quite seemed to fit in, except the Etios. The Manza came close but the reliability and low maintenance criteria was a deal breaker. Also was not as easy to drive around in the city.
The Renault and Nissan had poor rear seat under-thigh support, and also poor A.S.S. (a friend owns the X-trail and is very disappointed).
Fiesta Classic, Amaze, Dzire were a size too small compared to the Etios.
Vento/Rapid were more expensive - and while we wouldn't mind shelling out a little more for a larger car with better interiors, the Vento/Rapid didn't offer any advantages in terms of leg space, and the maintenance and service was another headache (we have enough cars to worry about. No-nonsense was key word in this purchase). As a self driven car, might have made sense, but given that the driver was driving primarily - made no sense to compromise on leg space and rear seat comfort in the city for a better engine, handling, and interiors - not that Vento/Rapid had best in segment interiors either.
Verna and Fiesta were short listed due to a poor rear seat experience.

Hoping to munch many miles with the Etios!

A teaser till the thread comes up:
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20131020_123220_richtonehdr.jpg
lamborghini is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 01:07   #245
BHPian

Any of you etios owners get to drive/be driven in the Honda amaze? Which car is superior from the NVH perspective?
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 07:42   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Any of you etios owners get to drive/be driven in the Honda amaze? Which car is superior from the NVH perspective?
Regarding vibration control, the 2013 model Etios is much better. With engine noise, I was confused. So, I just called up my friend - Vinu ( owns a liva ) who drove the amaze recently. He mentioned, it's the 2013 Etios which is better here as well.

But, the feeling of NVH can vary according to the roads that we drive on and the kind of sound our ears get used to at the time of testing.
So, I would recommend that you check both these cars under similar test drive conditions for a better comparison. :-)
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 17:48   #247
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nishath View Post
+1 to that.I've done 700kms this month and am satisfied to say the least.I'm due for my first service this weekend.Will find out and let you know what the situation is, here in Bangalore.I can categorically state that you could easily knock 20k off the OTR, but if i were you,i'd wait for some more time,so that Toyota could feel the full pressure of the strong Amaze and Ecosport sales.More power to you

cheers
Howdy - I am getting 35K off an OTR of 9.99~ lacs for December delivery. Would that be considered okay?
Sridutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 18:36   #248
BHPian

Okay. So I am planning to book an Etios VDSP. Its 9.99 Lacs OTR, and I am getting a 35K discount - making it 9.64 Lacs. Since it’s my first car, and the first upgrade in the family (from a 1999 Maruti 800 – yeah, we rarely need to upgrade cars - the 800 has covered 45K kms) .

I liked the space, the easy drivability, and the visibility in the car. The T name and "swear by it" attitude of cabbies was a pointer. Of course, the tons of reviews, reasons for choices (which matched mine), and the fact that a childhood school friend is fully satisfied with it convinced me. I have senior citizen parents. They need the space to flex their legs. If not, even 100 Km drives can get taxing for them. This was the clincher. Wifey wanted the Classic, but understands the reasons for my choice too.

The contenders were
  • Ford Classic - 9.06 Lacs OTR, good enough – but you can upgrade accessories.. how to you put in space in a car?
  • Amaze - 9.some-change, Very good to drive – again.. space - but strongly suggested for a 4 person family
  • Sail - 9.15 – not good looking, as basic as the Etios, and less spacious

The hearsay is since most plants shut down for maintenance in Dec/Jan – it’s better to order in Oct. Plus – I need the car so it comes in the Dec 11th to 31st leave that I have set up. Spoke to a pal with Mahindra – he said that 35 k with early delivery is good enough – go for it. I am.

With the dealer – the experience has been good. I was outright offered 30 K and pestered them for more – got 5 K. I know if I walk in with set papers and a chequebook in December during the last week – I will get near 40 K off. The thing is - I may not get Classic gray (my favourite color). Plus, since the dealer has run out of stock, and will need to order the car – I ensure I get a late November or early December manufactured car (subject to PDI of course) by booking now, and asking for delivery in the second week of December.
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:16   #249

This is my second review of the car after 9k driven mostly over highways with a single handed drive

Few of my observations

1. Mileage of 15-16 in city with AC and 20+ on highway with AC
2. Absolutely no issues in handling with the smooth steering
3. Yeah softer suspension needs a little slow down on high speed breakers else you might bump the under chassis(get a 3M under-chassis anti-rust coating done in advance)
4. Now I do not feel the issue of space either for baggage or for seating 5 people comfortably. I have driven with 5 Adults(I was driving) and 3 kids with absolute comfort

Till date luckily no issues, soon I will be completing another 1-1.5 k ride and will be giving it for the 12k servicing. Let me see the performance post that. I will keep it posted here.
amit.toshniwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 16:03   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
I am not sure if this is relevant or not but I have always noticed that some amount of smell, when its really unbearable, always filters in the cabin even on re-circulation mode. And this I have felt in all the cars I have owned till date. When you pass by a garbage dump, you do know that you are passing one although the amount of smell that creeps in is minuscule.
Bottom line being that I have never felt that it is 100% sealed even on re-circulation mode.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 21:33   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Okay. So I am planning to book an Etios VDSP. Its 9.99 Lacs OTR, and I am getting a 35K discount - making it 9.64 Lacs. Since it’s my first car, and the first upgrade in the family (from a 1999 Maruti 800 – yeah, we rarely need to upgrade cars - the 800 has covered 45K kms) .
With such low driving, why don't you consider the Etios petrol?

Might just get a better deal + the Etios petrol is a lot more fun to drive!
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 23:48   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
With such low driving, why don't you consider the Etios petrol?

Might just get a better deal + the Etios petrol is a lot more fun to drive!
Howdy. Well, either I am schizophrenic, or the previous reply has not shown up . Or, its a deja vu, either ways:-

Yes, Petrol/Diesel was on my mind. Like I said earlier, with max usage hovering near 1200 kms per month, with usage patterns varying by season, its a close call between diesel and petrol. Again, I am picking diesel because I might break even by 6 years (not done the math, with rising fuel rates factored in, but even then diesels give better mileage - low end torque and all that).

Also - I'd like to travel a bit more, and well, its convenient (mentally at least) to see a lower monthly fuel bill, because the event of plonking down the main monies is over and done with.

Chuck in the fact that I already booked.. its a bit late to reconsider. But yes, I mulled over the same idea, and threw in my lot with the diesel.

Mods: in case I am not schizophrenic, and am paranoid instead, thereby replying twice? please delete this one..
Old 26th September 2014, 22:01   #253
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Recently visited the Toyota Service center to get my bonnet repaired. ( A coconut fell on it ).

They had displayed the service history of a Liva Diesel which had completed 2,40,000 kms.

Periodic Maintenance Cost per km is just 28 paise.
Even if we consider wheel balancing, alignment, brake pad replacement, and a mirror replacement, the maintenance cost per km is still just 34 paise per km.

Have to say, Toyota stayed true to their Durability and reliability standards. Minimal replacements and cheap maintenance cost. It can even put most Petrol cars to shame as far as maintenance cost and durability is concerned.

Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-etios_maintenance.jpg

Points to Note
  • Toyota has displayed the individual bills of this vehicle in Nippon Toyota Showroom, Kalamassery. I've taken a photograph of all the bills. But, they requested me not to post it on social networks as they want to respect the privacy of the owner. If someone wants me to upload it, I can after removing sensitive data.
  • The car has completed 2,40,000 kms on the odo and then had a major accident which resulted in declaring it as "total loss" by the insurance company. Thankfully, all passengers are safe.
  • The reason why Toyota has not displayed the service costs after 1,20,000 kms is because this particular customer did not service the vehicle in 1,30,000 kms service. I'm trying to get this detail from them. That will help us get a better view.
  • The long brake pad replacement interval is because the car was driven mainly for long drives in the Kochi - Bangalore route. Else, it lasts between 30,000 kms to 50,000 kms normally.

Last edited by amalji : 26th September 2014 at 22:08.
amalji is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 07:22   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Recently visited the Toyota Service center to get my bonnet repaired. ( A coconut fell on it ).

They had displayed the service history of a Liva Diesel which had completed 2,40,000 kms.
[/list]
I endorse your experience.

Well, from my Innova experience, Toyota is surely the most frugal from the point of view of "total cost of ownership". I finally bought an Ertiga (now 20k Kms.) and its "regular" maintenance is already more expensive than my Innova (180k Kms.)
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 22:55   #255
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Recently visited the Toyota Service center to get my bonnet repaired. ( A coconut fell on it )...
Well, I had bought an Etios after going through yours and others' threads last year. It's done 22k kms in say about 13 Months.

Look at it like this.. the wife says it's more expensive to service the Activa than the car.