Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 18:27   #271
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 589
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

I dont get such sort of noises. No rattles at all! After the first service, there was some kind of noise from the left front wheel, even passers by told us that there was a strange noise coming from the tyre. The noise used to increase with speed. Later found out that, the clips that the toyota guys installed on the wheel cap was quite long and was constantly rubbing against the disc. Then, we chopped off the extra bits of the clip on all wheels and it was fine. No noises from then!
Anf BTW, you said that the noise comes back after a few hundred kms, do you take it rough over the potholes? That might be reason.
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 00:24   #272
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Two months and 10 days on my Liva GD, clocking 3344 km so far, I think I have started loving my car. The diesel clatter is now reduced to a kitten-like purr, and I am used to this now.
Have driven so far in city, with AC on for about 80% of the time. The FE, last calculated (234 km before today's post) is 17.9 km/l.
The small vibration sound which was coming from the dash from the ICE area has been nicely fixed by Toyota people. No rattles from anywhere so far.

Have started liking the following things in Liva GD:
1. Excellent drivability in the city. The gears are perfect, specially the second and the third and you can manage with less use of the clutch.
2. Excellent placing of the AC vents. Does not irritate your hands while driving. AC reaches the back seat too, without being obstructed by anything.
3. Excellent GC, haven't touched the underbelly of the car even when negotiating huge bumps unmindfully. GC was one reason that tilted my decision towards Liva compared to Figo.
4. The steering is neither too light nor very stiff. Excellent feel.
5. The position of the steering and dash makes driving comfortable, with nothing touching your knees.
6. The single wiper-blade. Initially I was sceptical about this, but after the heavy monsoon this season found it better than the twin blades. There's no triangle formed between the two blades which causes a little bit of discomfort while driving -- a single wiper wipes everything clean.

The problems:
1. The clutch is a tad hard than what I think it should be. Got used to it though.
2. The engine noise. But as I said earlier, it has kind of settled down to a "purr" post 2000 km. But it's not a silent cabin nevertheless.
3. The suspension making a thud kind of a sound whenever the car hits a pothole at high speed.

I have no complaints about the interiors after I got the seat-covers done. Changed my gear knob with the red one (costed me Rs 550/-) and the steering cover (red-beige) to add bits and pieces of colour to the interior. The face lifted interior costed be approximately Rs 8500/- I am not fond of beige interiors, therefore rest of black-grey interior suits me fine.

Overall this is a practical car for the city. Yet to test on highways though. Hope to do soon.

Last edited by subratasenn : 12th November 2012 at 00:42.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:38   #273
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 3,636 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Two months and 10 days on my Liva GD, clocking 3344 km so far, I think I have started loving my car. The diesel clatter is now reduced to a kitten-like purr, and I am used to this now.
Have driven so far in city, with AC on for about 80% of the time. The FE, last calculated (234 km before today's post) is 17.9 km/l.
The small vibration sound which was coming from the dash from the ICE area has been nicely fixed by Toyota people. No rattles from anywhere so far.

Have started liking the following things in Liva GD:
1. Excellent drivability in the city. The gears are perfect, specially the second and the third and you can manage with less use of the clutch.
2. Excellent placing of the AC vents. Does not irritate your hands while driving. AC reaches the back seat too, without being obstructed by anything.
3. Excellent GC, haven't touched the underbelly of the car even when negotiating huge bumps unmindfully. GC was one reason that tilted my decision towards Liva compared to Figo.
4. The steering is neither too light nor very stiff. Excellent feel.
5. The position of the steering and dash makes driving comfortable, with nothing touching your knees.
6. The single wiper-blade. Initially I was sceptical about this, but after the heavy monsoon this season found it better than the twin blades. There's no triangle formed between the two blades which causes a little bit of discomfort while driving -- a single wiper wipes everything clean.

The problems:
1. The clutch is a tad hard than what I think it should be. Got used to it though.
2. The engine noise. But as I said earlier, it has kind of settled down to a "purr" post 2000 km. But it's not a silent cabin nevertheless.
3. The suspension making a thud kind of a sound whenever the car hits a pothole at high speed.

I have no complaints about the interiors after I got the seat-covers done. Changed my gear knob with the red one (costed me Rs 550/-) and the steering cover (red-beige) to add bits and pieces of colour to the interior. The face lifted interior costed be approximately Rs 8500/- I am not fond of beige interiors, therefore rest of black-grey interior suits me fine.

Overall this is a practical car for the city. Yet to test on highways though. Hope to do soon.
Thats very good mileage you are getting. Agreed that the clutch is bit too hard for the liking. Apart from it, this car is simply no nonsense practical car.


By the way both the Etios and Liva will undergo another minor model change by March 2013. The fixed headrest might move to the split set up of other cars and few more features thrown in. I bet there will be a price hike too to justify these additions
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:58   #274
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
By the way both the Etios and Liva will undergo another minor model change by March 2013. The fixed headrest might move to the split set up of other cars and few more features thrown in. I bet there will be a price hike too to justify these additions
A price hike might be justified as Toyota has started giving discounts to its diesel models too, which was not forthcoming so far. So this will even out.

I forgot to mention the space aspect and the brakes in my previous post. Liva GD really has confidence-inspiring brakes. You feel very confident, though that's slowly affecting my driving style. Am slowly turning adventurous in driving, which previously I was not.

Who says that Etios/Liva is only for sedate drivers!
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 10:01   #275
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 3,636 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
A price hike might be justified as Toyota has started giving discounts to its diesel models too, which was not forthcoming so far. So this will even out.

I forgot to mention the space aspect and the brakes in my previous post. Liva GD really has confidence-inspiring brakes. You feel very confident, though that's slowly affecting my driving style. Am slowly turning adventurous in driving, which previously I was not.

Who says that Etios/Liva is only for sedate drivers!
Completely agree with the handling aspect of the car. The steering does give some amount of feedback. This can be pushed for sure given the right powered engines. Brakes are very good, only thing is under constant and heavy usage due to heating up, sometimes feels like brake fade has set in. But the feel returns once the brakes cool down.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:42   #276
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

It sounds nice to hear that Etios is undergoing a change. I am desparetly waiting for a bit better interiors (esp chairs) so that, people dont call my car as a pathetic one. Ofcourse, People dont understand the beauty of this car, however i dont want people to see my car as something inferior.

All, who have some idea on whats getting changed in the upcomming model could share some information, so that people like me could act accordingly.

Heard from my SA of skoda that, Rapid's prices might come down by 30-40K exshowroom effective from 1 Jan 2013. This would increase the competition in this segment. Hey, afterall its a Skoda . I know, that its not going to change their image in the market.

Hope this information helps some people.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:59   #277
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
It sounds nice to hear that Etios is undergoing a change. I am desparetly waiting for a bit better interiors (esp chairs) so that, people dont call my car as a pathetic one.
Changing the chairs? I doubt. Changing the interior colors -- quite possible. They've already done it once. The chairs are quite comfortable, there's no back discomfort even after running around throughout the day in the city. The grey/black seats now also have a colombo tan option.

My personal wish list in this car would just be three:

1. Electronic ORVM. Cars should have this as an option. Very much needed for city driving.
2. Less NVH. Some amount of sound padding to cut the noise by about 30%. That would do the trick.
3. Armrest in the driver's seat as an option. You don't get to rest your left hand anywhere as the driver and co-passenger's seat are not near to each other. This becomes bothersome once in a while.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:27   #278
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Changing the chairs? I doubt. Changing the interior colors -- quite possible. They've already done it once. The chairs are quite comfortable, there's no back discomfort even after running around throughout the day in the city. The grey/black seats now also have a colombo tan option.

My personal wish list in this car would just be three:

1. Electronic ORVM. Cars should have this as an option. Very much needed for city driving.
2. Less NVH. Some amount of sound padding to cut the noise by about 30%. That would do the trick.
3. Armrest in the driver's seat as an option. You don't get to rest your left hand anywhere as the driver and co-passenger's seat are not near to each other. This becomes bothersome once in a while.
Thanks for your response. What i feel is, They have already tried changing the interior colors, but it didnt do any magic when it comes to sales.

Agreed that the chairs are comfortable enough. (Mostly inline or better when compared to other cars.) but in order to change the image of this car, they need to change the chairs as many are complaining of this. And ofcourse the centre mounted console too.

Even i have the same wishlist as yours. plus a bit more cladding and dampning by adding more steel in doors where ever required. rather than using pads. and a Centre mounted console + bigger display which one could see easily.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:37   #279
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 3,636 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Thanks for your response. What i feel is, They have already tried changing the interior colors, but it didnt do any magic when it comes to sales.

Agreed that the chairs are comfortable enough. (Mostly inline or better when compared to other cars.) but in order to change the image of this car, they need to change the chairs as many are complaining of this. And ofcourse the centre mounted console too.

Even i have the same wishlist as yours. plus a bit more cladding and dampning by adding more steel in doors where ever required. rather than using pads. and a Centre mounted console + bigger display which one could see easily.
The NVH definitely needs to be reduced with whatever way Toyota wants it to be done, but the end result must be lesser NVH and get ride of the tyre noise please.

Armrest will be a welcome addition along with the electrically adjustable mirrors.

Lets see what they are upto. The export version Etios has a lot better looking and fitted interiors.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:57   #280
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Agreed that the chairs are comfortable enough. (Mostly inline or better when compared to other cars.) but in order to change the image of this car, they need to change the chairs as many are complaining of this. And ofcourse the centre mounted console too.

Even i have the same wishlist as yours. plus a bit more cladding and dampning by adding more steel in doors where ever required. rather than using pads. and a Centre mounted console + bigger display which one could see easily.
I didn't get this. You mean change the centre-mounted console and put it behind the steering wheel which is the normal place for most cars?

The instrument panel display is actually quite big, it can't get bigger than this I believe. As it is it is so big that it won't fit behind the steering the wheel in the normal position. And I would strongly recommend that it should stay where it is now. Initially, I too had some amount of negative feeling about the instrument cluster. But after getting used to it, I find that the centre console is much more convenient than the behind-the-steering-wheel console.

Because, while driving, you don't look at the steering, you look towards the road. And the instrument cluster is always visible to the driver in a centrally mounted position this way. It's also visible to other passengers and you have no way to hide if you are speeding. Your fellow passengers can also alert you about any abnormal warning signal from the cluster in the event of you missing out.

How many times does one look behind the steering to look for alarm signals while driving? Here you can't miss anything.

Last edited by subratasenn : 12th November 2012 at 13:03.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 13:21   #281
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I didn't get this. You mean change the centre-mounted console and put it behind the steering wheel which is the normal place for most cars?

The instrument panel display is actually quite big, it can't get bigger than this I believe. As it is it is so big that it won't fit behind the steering the wheel in the normal position. And I would strongly recommend that it should stay where it is now. Initially, I too had some amount of negative feeling about the instrument cluster. But after getting used to it, I find that the centre console is much more convenient than the behind-the-steering-wheel console.

Because, while driving, you don't look at the steering, you look towards the road. And the instrument cluster is always visible to the driver in a centrally mounted position this way. It's also visible to other passengers and you have no way to hide if you are speeding. Your fellow passengers can also alert you about any abnormal warning signal from the cluster in the event of you missing out.
Yes, i wanted the console to be behind the steering wheel. Like all other cars.

Agreed that the pannel is very big, but from drivers chair, the distance is greater when compared to the regular console behind steering. its not that easy to read the numbers being displayed. I found this difficult.

I would be driving the car and i am very clear on what's my limits are. I do not want to exceed 60KMph in City and i am very serious about it. I have my own rules and i am not driving a cab. so i do not want my passingers to see and shout/request me to drive fast/slow. I would be driving, i know the condition of me, so i should decide on how i should drive rather than someone else pointing it out to me.

Imagine, you are not feeling well/dull and you are driving a bit slow, how would you feel when your passingers say "abe bail gadi chala raha hai kya?"
Are you driving a bullock cart? The owner and driver should be the sole deciding factors on how the vehicle should be driven because he is holding the steering and he knows the risk and pain.
Not trying to complain/ hurt others.

Yes, I always prefer to look 20 degrees lower rather than looking 60 degrees side ways to know the speed of the car. Its my opinion.
gemi_kk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 14:31   #282
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Yes, I always prefer to look 20 degrees lower rather than looking 60 degrees side ways to know the speed of the car. Its my opinion.
Not exactly sideways, whenever you are driving looking at the road, the console will be automatically included in your view. Because you are actually looking at the road with a 180 degree viewpoint. You don't have to shift your eyes to look at the console, that's what I meant to say in my post. I find this a lot convenient than looking down and taking a glance at the cluster while driving.

Last edited by subratasenn : 12th November 2012 at 14:34.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 14:58   #283
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Not exactly sideways, whenever you are driving looking at the road, the console will be automatically included in your view. Because you are actually looking at the road with a 180 degree viewpoint. You don't have to shift your eyes to look at the console, that's what I meant to say in my post. I find this a lot convenient than looking down and taking a glance at the cluster while driving.
I understood what you are trying to say. Its not an acceptable practice while driving cars especially in india where there is tons of traffic and many rash riders on road. the driver needs to concentrate on road and only on road. No 180 degree views. (my opinion).

The console could also be seen if it is behind the steering wheel. Its as good as the centre mounted one.

Backlight in the console irritates some passengers during long night drives. If theres a heart patient in the car, then you would have more trouble as every thing is displayed to them as if its on TV.

In my case, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Its my opinion when it comes to centre mounted consoles. Not trying to complain about a car.

As said earlier, Other than Centre mounted console and absence of thick chairs (Like swift ones) I love this car.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 16:39   #284
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

Backlight in the console irritates some passengers during long night drives. If theres a heart patient in the car, then you would have more trouble as every thing is displayed to them as if its on TV.


I agree that is a distinct possibility because Toyota/Liva has excellent speed masking. You tend to drive on higher speeds than what it seems from inside the car.

I should be careful not to carry heart patient in my car.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:39   #285
BHPian
 
maximus.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Changing the chairs? I doubt. Changing the interior colors -- quite possible. They've already done it once. The chairs are quite comfortable, there's no back discomfort even after running around throughout the day in the city. The grey/black seats now also have a colombo tan option.

My personal wish list in this car would just be three:

1. Electronic ORVM. Cars should have this as an option. Very much needed for city driving.
2. Less NVH. Some amount of sound padding to cut the noise by about 30%. That would do the trick.
3. Armrest in the driver's seat as an option. You don't get to rest your left hand anywhere as the driver and co-passenger's seat are not near to each other. This becomes bothersome once in a while.
Even i am expecting a face lifted Liva.Adding on few items to the list, i would love to see top end Liva should having these features to compete & match with i20 & Swift. I don't mind bearing additional costs for added features.

4) Automatic climate control
5) Defogger & rear wiper.
6) Steering mouted indicators & Stereo controls
7) Alloy wheels
8) Better quality interiors

If all these are added, this would be a near perfect hatch.

Last edited by maximus. : 12th November 2012 at 21:43.
maximus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 207 17th February 2017 19:04
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 527 8th February 2017 21:38
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review Vid6639 Official New Car Reviews 258 21st February 2016 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks