Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 18:36   #391
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,093
Thanked: 3,767 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am planning to book a (Diesel) Liva GD / Punto Dynamic. Not sure which one I should go with. Both are coming out to be very close in terms of on road price.

I generally keep my cars for 10 years approx. This will be a replacement of aging Indica DLS 2003 model which has crossed 1.10 Lac km last month.

Suggestions please
Both cars are equally good. I would strongly recommend you take a test drive of both the cars & decide for yourself. I haven't driven either of them myself, but from the TBHP official reviews & ownership experiences what I can gather is that the Liva being lightweight is a very agile & boon to drive in city, where the Punto's strengths lies in its dynamics & tank like build. It is very well suited for highway runs.

So if your major usage is going to be in the city then go for the Liva, but if it is the highways that you would be regularly hitting then go for the Punto. Also do consider the proximity of the authorized service centres. Toyota aftersales service is the benchmark for other manufacturers & it has one of the lowest servicing costs. Hence the Liva has a great advantage as you are planning to keep your car for next 10 years.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 07:24   #392
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,213
Thanked: 1,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am looking at replacement of my 2003 Indica DLS and am close to finalizing one the two diesels Liva GD / Punto Dynamic.

I generally keep my cars for about a decade with moderate running. Though petrol motors can serve me too as there is no heavy running, I love the torque of diesel motors and thus have always bought diesels.

Between the two cars, which one I should go with, as in terms of on road price, both are almost same.
If Durability, hassle free ownership experience, cheap maintenance cost , and easy drivability are your priority, go for the liva.

If you are a fan of the heavy weight cars ( read European ), go for the Punto.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:37   #393
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 9,796
Thanked: 14,889 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Toyota launches limited editions of Liva, Etios.
TKM launched limited editions of its compact car Etios Liva and entry level sedan Etios priced between Rs 4.95 lakh and Rs 7.13 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Quote:
The limited edition vehicles will have features such as blue-tooth audio
remote, rear parking sensors and two tone interiors, among others
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/22624250.cms
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 08:22   #394
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 478
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am looking at replacement of my 2003 Indica DLS and am close to finalizing one the two diesels Liva GD / Punto Dynamic.

I generally keep my cars for about a decade with moderate running. Though petrol motors can serve me too as there is no heavy running, I love the torque of diesel motors and thus have always bought diesels.

Between the two cars, which one I should go with, as in terms of on road price, both are almost same.
Please take a test drive of both. Both have competent engines and have their own merits.

Ownership experience of Toyota is a big plus point in favour of Liva. If you are ok with the interiors and features vis-a-vis that of Punto, then Liva D it is.

Let me add a few pictures of the current interiors of Liva P. The interiors of the diesel version is similar except for tachometer, the steering mounted audio controls and the audio system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota launches limited editions of Liva, Etios.
TKM launched limited editions of its compact car Etios Liva and entry level sedan Etios priced between Rs 4.95 lakh and Rs 7.13 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
In terms of features, Xclusive seems to be positioned between the G/ GD and the G/GD -SP variants. Hence no airbags. The interiors, I understand, are similar to the pics posted below, with the same audio system that comes for the petrol V variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img_0461.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img_0462.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img_0463.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img_0467.jpg  

vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 18:06   #395
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 594
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

My friend's Liva's AC didn't work this morning. So, called up Toyota and asked them for a pick up and service. To our surprise, Toyota sent a flatbed truck to tow away the vehicle which only had the A/C issue! They could have sent some personnel to drive it away but, they sent a flatbed at no added cost!! No wonder Toyota's service is the best!
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 16:25   #396
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,483 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Not sure if this has been posted earlier or not, but the Etios Liva scores good (4-stars Adult protection) in Latin NCAP. Here is the link to the result:

http://www.latinncap.com/en/results-list

However, it scores a lowly 2-stars for child safety, part of which is also because of this:

Quote:
The vehicle gives not sufficient warning to the hazards associated with installing a rearward facing child seat on the front passenger seat with an active airbag.
I would still say it is a good car with solid engineering, looks may be damned.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 13:07   #397
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Not sure if this has been posted earlier or not, but the Etios Liva scores good (4-stars Adult protection) in Latin NCAP. Here is the link to the result:

http://www.latinncap.com/en/results-list

However, it scores a lowly 2-stars for child safety, part of which is also because of this:

Quote:
The vehicle gives not sufficient warning to the hazards associated with installing a rearward facing child seat on the front passenger seat with an active airbag.

I would still say it is a good car with solid engineering, looks may be damned.
The Etios Liva owners manual clearly says that child seat should only be placed on the back passenger seat and NEVER on the front passenger seat. You cannot blame Toyota because they have provided the necessary warning.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 13:15   #398
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,483 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
The Etios Liva owners manual clearly says that child seat should only be placed on the back passenger seat and NEVER on the front passenger seat. You cannot blame Toyota because they have provided the necessary warning.
Hi @subratasenn

I believe child seat on front seat is a requirement for safety testing in Latin America, guess lot of people do this there. So authorities came up with the novel idea to ensure maximum safety is attained in this case. However, the warning sticker, side/ curtain airbags, etc are universal requirements that easily help gain/ lose 1-star in the rating, whether in North America, Europe, Australia, or any part of world where these tests are conducted.

For me the Liva (O) should be good enough, as my infant daughter would in any case travel in back (child) seat, or at worst in safe hands of my family member (s).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 13:21   #399
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
For me the Liva (O) should be good enough, as my infant daughter would in any case travel in back (child) seat, or at worst in safe hands of my family member (s).
I always felt that back child seat, with proper belt is the best place for a child to travel in a car. Or have a family member travelling along.
And yes, I agree with you that Liva is a fantastic car, looks be damned. Actually, it doesn't look too bad either.

Last edited by subratasenn : 27th November 2013 at 13:23.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 21:27   #400
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Hi Folks,

Just completed 10.5K km in less than a year. Overall totally satisfied with the ownership especially the service experience!!

However found the clutch a little hard. Just wanted to know if its just me.. or anyone also have the same experience. I recently drove a diesel ertiga and found the clutch much much more softer/smoother.

Thanks!
Nagesh
Nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 21:32   #401
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,213
Thanked: 1,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh View Post
Hi Folks,

Just completed 10.5K km in less than a year. Overall totally satisfied with the ownership especially the service experience!!

However found the clutch a little hard. Just wanted to know if its just me.. or anyone also have the same experience. I recently drove a diesel ertiga and found the clutch much much more softer/smoother.

Thanks!
Nagesh
Clutch of Etios/Liva diesel is on the harder side. You will get used to it soon. ( rather, your legs will adapt by building more muscles. ) :-)
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 09:17   #402
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Thanks amalji. Didn't know Liva comes with an added benefit - a good leg workout!!
Nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 00:30   #403
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh View Post
Thanks amalji. Didn't know Liva comes with an added benefit - a good leg workout!!
Yes, but only one leg.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 01:00   #404
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BLR/SAN
Posts: 124
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Clutch of Etios/Liva diesel is on the harder side. You will get used to it soon. ( rather, your legs will adapt by building more muscles. ) :-)
What are you guys talking about ? Liva has probably one of the softest clutch of all the cars I ever drove. I guess you can try driving Ford Escort or Honda Civic in comparison and you will see what kind of leg workout they can provide
acurafan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 01:07   #405
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,213
Thanked: 1,360 Times
Post Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
What are you guys talking about ? Liva has probably one of the softest clutch of all the cars I ever drove. I guess you can try driving Ford Escort or Honda Civic in comparison and you will see what kind of leg workout they can provide
That's because you own a Petrol Liva. I agree with you. The clutch of Petrol Liva and Etios are one of the lightest I've ever used. But, with Diesel, it's the opposite. It's on the harder side and is harder than the DDiS.Do try it out when you visit Toyota showroom next time.

Last edited by amalji : 15th December 2013 at 01:12.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 216 4th October 2017 19:36
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 527 8th February 2017 21:38
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review Vid6639 Official New Car Reviews 258 21st February 2016 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks