Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th September 2011, 15:19   #166

Default Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for an exhaustive and a wonderful review. The way the petrol prices are going here, why don't companies start introducing the diesel version first for a change. The faster Nissan comes up with a diesel version, and with a decent pricing, Nissan could have a clear winner in this segment.
ks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:44   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The ad campaign for the Sunny is a little silly, especially the TV executions. "Driver, caaaaaar lekay aana" is hardly smile-inducing. I hope this is another another good product ruined by substandard marketing :(
Agree. When I first saw the print ad on the day it was launched, I instantly thought it seemed like a work of novice but, the television ad just spoilt it further.

We know the USP is space but, just harping on one feature wont sell them more units

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I believe not as it misses out on two things that matter to the buyers presently - Diesel, and support network. These are important parameters that help a customer make up their minds
While we all agree ( including the Nissan folks) launching a petrol version is suicidal but, they did it for their own reasons ( production readiness, market testing etc.) but, thankfully they realized it quickly considering the diesel mill is around the corner ( Dec'11/Jan'12)

With regards to dealer network. When Micra was launched they had only 13 dealerships across the country.

Compare that to their present 45 dealerships at Sunny's launch. That's an improvement by leaps and bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Just test drove the Sunny and am impressed by the car on the whole. Good responsive engine (driving under city conditions), good quality interiors, extremely powerful AC, decent quality music system and overall handling good. Only thing which could have been better was the gear box which was not the smoothest.

Having said that, I feel the car is far better than the Etios / Manza / Dzire / Fiesta Classic. Is more in the league of the Verna / City but priced much lower than these. IMO, the car should do quite well and appeal to the petrol car-owners looking for a good sedan.
Nice to see this feedback which seems to concur with how we felt after driving the Sunny.

I'll say this again, Sunny looks way better in flesh than in pictures ( In other words, its not a photogenic car)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:30   #168
BHPian

Hey mobike008, thanks for such a detailed review, it couldn’t have been better. Mate, I have a question for you. My friend is in market to buy himself a decent sedan and he has shortlisted , 1) Honda City, 2) Nissan Sunny.

He currently drives a Santro which is 5 years old and running fine but wish to upgrade. He drove new Verna-petrol but was quite disappointed(insipid experience according to him), he ruled out other cars due to various reasons so could you please help him to finalize one?
ajaynaphade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:07   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Hey mobike008, thanks for such a detailed review, it couldn’t have been better. Mate, I have a question for you. My friend is in market to buy himself a decent sedan and he has shortlisted , 1) Honda City, 2) Nissan Sunny.

He currently drives a Santro which is 5 years old and running fine but wish to upgrade. He drove new Verna-petrol but was quite disappointed(insipid experience according to him), he ruled out other cars due to various reasons so could you please help him to finalize one?
A simple and quick comparo of the ANHC and Nissan Sunny. Note below is just my opinion, it may or may not be agreeable to other members

What works for Honda City
a) Excellent and free revving engine
b) Honda badge
c) Better looking car out of the two ( again subjective)
c) Best AT box in C segment with the added pleasure of paddle shifts (If your friend is considering the automatic version)

What doesnt work for Honda City
a) Lack of features
b) Still a bit pricey in comparison ( especially with convenience features in offer)
c) If your friend travels on a lot of bad roads, city isnt a great car due to it's low GC

What works for Nissan Sunny
a) Superb rearseat space and comfort
b) Excellent convenience features ( Start/Stop, iKey, Steering mounted music controls etc..)
c) Decent Ride and Handling
d) Feel of a much bigger car
e) Subjective looks ( some like it, some dont)

What doesnt work for Nissan Sunny
a) Mediocre engine performance (deal breaker if your friend is an enthusiast)
b) Sloppy gearbox experience
c) Can't think of any other deal breaker apart from key points (a & b)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:35   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Agree. When I first saw the print ad on the day it was launched, I instantly thought it seemed like a work of novice but, the television ad just spoilt it further.

We know the USP is space but, just harping on one feature wont sell them more units
+1 to that.
There is also the risk of getting branded with the Tatas, who are perceived to be offering oodles of space -'More car per car' - at the cost of quality. Nissan needs to handle the branding exercise carefully.

Quote:
Nice to see this feedback which seems to concur with how we felt after driving the Sunny.

I'll say this again, Sunny looks way better in flesh than in pictures ( In other words, its not a photogenic car)
I've always loved the muscular contours of Sunny, as against the ultra-feminine looks of Micra, even in pics - wonder how it would look in person! Also, after the clarification that the official car review was performed with four well-sized adults on board, I now feel that the car has lot more potential than I'd thought initially. Most folks should be ok with the engine performance on offer.

Sunny now appears a pretty decent car with fabulous pricing. Guess Nissan is finally arriving in India!
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 18:00   #171
BANNED

For the first time I feel the pricing by a Japanese car maker in India pricing its Manual top end version realistic without deleting features to Indian buyers.

Nissan Sunny is a credible car comparable to Lancer / SX4/ Vento/ City/ Verna.

It will be nice if Nissan offers A/T option and Disel variant at realistic price and significantly expand the dealer service network rapidly.

As an average Joe this Nissan's launch of Sunny sedan at the current price is very welcome.

I sincerely hope the car returns closer to ARAI certified mileage figures in city / highway driving making it VFM to own and run for long term
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:38   #172
BHPian

Thanks a ton, mobile008, for your invaluable comparison. I discussed this with my friend after going through your post.

He is getting a mouth watering deal on ‘City’, because of which he is drifting towards it and he is also attracted towards ‘Sunny’ so now he has to take a call.
ajaynaphade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 23:32   #173
BHPian

How does the Sunny compare against the Linea / vento / Verna / New fiesta in terms of interior quality? To me the Sunny's interiors do not look as classy and well put together as that of these cars. I know the Sunny would be cheaper too, but does it feel as good as some of 8-10 lakh cars in terms of general quality, fit,finish & handling?
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 14:05   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
How does the Sunny compare against the Linea / vento / Verna / New fiesta in terms of interior quality? To me the Sunny's interiors do not look as classy and well put together as that of these cars. I know the Sunny would be cheaper too, but does it feel as good as some of 8-10 lakh cars in terms of general quality, fit,finish & handling?
Having seen the New Fiesta as well as the Classic, I can say that the quality of Sunny is far better than these. Infact New Fiesta interiors are poorer than the Fiesta Classic.

IMHO, Linea would fare better than the Sunny if interiors were to be evaluated.

I have not sat inside a Verna / Vento and hence cant comment..

Hope this helps!
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:59   #175
BHPian

Quote:
How does the Sunny compare against the Linea / vento / Verna / New fiesta in terms of interior quality?
To put it in perspective the Sunny's interior quality slots in somewhere between the Linea and Vento.

The Sunny's interiors do look dull but are of a decent grade.

The New fiesta has poor quality than even small hatches.
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:50   #176
BHPian

I visited the Nissan showroom in bangalore to check this car & its amazing
I actually booked Dzire in Mar'11 ( ZDI) & I'm stilling waiting for the delivery

After seeing this car, i went ahead & cancelled the booking, thinking that nissan would release the diesel version by Dec'11/Jan'12

There's no doubt that its ahead in this segment with the correct pricing, without compromising the quality & features.. Way to go Nissan :-)

I'm hoping to become a' Nissanian' once the diesel is out

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd October 2011 at 17:22. Reason: only 2 smilies per post please. Read the rules..
mail2vm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:50   #177
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of overall interior quality, among the cars that you mention, i would rate them as below (strictly my opinion)

1. Vento
2. Verna Fluidic
=================
3. Linea/ Fiesta Classic SXi
4. Sunny *
5. New (global) Fiesta

*I just saw the Sunny in detail yesterday. So the overall view is based on first impressions. If it grows on me, at most it can rise to no.3 spot here. The first 2 are in a different territory. Hence the dividing line!

Last edited by gaurav911 : 3rd October 2011 at 00:52.
gaurav911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:06   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
c) Can't think of any other deal breaker apart from key points (a & b)
Don't need one! Engine and gearbox - that does it for me!
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:02   #179
BHPian

Visited Orion-Sanpada to have a first hand look. Stunned by the look and quality. Waiting for availability of a TD. They told me waiting period has already reached 1 1/2 months.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 12:20   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
I visited the Nissan showroom in bangalore to check this car & its amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Visited Orion-Sanpada to have a first hand look. Stunned by the look and quality
Nice to know I was not the only one bowled over by its look in the flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Don't need one! Engine and gearbox - that does it for me!
True but, that's just an enthusiast's perspective. but, there are a majority of people out there who dont even think these parameters can be a deal breaker.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote