Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 11:38   #2671
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,764
Thanked: 10,655 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Suzuki Motor Corporation’s compact car Swift, which was launched as a world strategic model in November 2004, has reached cumulative worldwide sales of five million units in early April 2016 (eleven years and five months since the start of sales in 2004)

The breakdown of five million units is: India 54%, Europe 17%, Japan 10%, etc. 19%.

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 2410
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 2394
Size:  38.1 KB
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 2383
Size:  57.4 KB

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2016/0411.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th April 2016 at 11:39.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:27   #2672
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Drove my Swift more than 600 kms. since last one week. Odo reads 77XX kms. Here are my few observations :

The engine lack punch of any sort till 4000 rpm. Again went in for a TD of Swift to ensure that my car is OK. Realized that the TD vehicle has loose clutch. This means that rpm is higher than my car which results into better throttle response overall. This is standard practice it seems. Asked my friend to just check out with other dealer and he confirmed the same. On highways, acceleration from 20 to 80-90 takes a lot of time. Its annoying that after every bump or after every obstacle I have to spend too much time and energy to get back to highway cruising speed of 90-100. Engine is quite refined for a small car, but the VVT kicks in at only 4000 rpm. Till then the engine is dead. Overtaking requires a lot of planning and often I have to make emergency braking and fall back. FE seems to be good though. MID shows 17 kmpl which is good considering two wheeler infested Gujarat Highways where I operate. Grand i10 diesel certainly had more punch for overtaking and highway cruising. But Swift makes up for it with overall comfort, ride and entertaining handling.

Read in manual that 0W-20 oil is required, but Mobil 1 does not seem to be selling fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. Shell, Castrol also do not have 0W-20 fully synthetic. Can I install 0W-40 fully synthetic oil ? I understand it will be thicker than recommended,but shouldn't that be helpful ? I plan to change oil at 8000 kms. considering my highway runs and also Gujarat's high temperatures.

EDIT : Always buy a car with ABS atleast. Its a must on Indian roads. I had atleast 10 instances on state highway today where had to brake hard for unmarked series of speed breakers and tyres locked, car skidded.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd April 2016 at 19:30.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:56   #2673
BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 677
Thanked: 2,609 Times
Smile Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Read in manual that 0W-20 oil is required, but Mobil 1 does not seem to be selling fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. Shell, Castrol also do not have 0W-20 fully synthetic. Can I install 0W-40 fully synthetic oil ? I understand it will be thicker than recommended,but shouldn't that be helpful ? I plan to change oil at 8000 kms. considering my highway runs and also Gujarat's high temperatures.
0W20 grade is available as MGO and you can find at most of the MASS, since all K series engines are now recommending the same grade.

Kindly visit the links below for more details-

Link1
Click to open (Comfort, Intelligence, Attitude & Zeal - Maruti Ciaz ZXi+ Ownership)

Link2
Click to open

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 22:32   #2674
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 316
Thanked: 539 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Drove my Swift more than 600 kms. since last one week. Odo reads 77XX kms. Here are my few observations :

The engine lack punch of any sort till 4000 rpm. Again went in for a TD of Swift to ensure that my car is OK. Realized that the TD vehicle has loose clutch. This means that rpm is higher than my car which results into better throttle response overall. This is standard practice it seems. Asked my friend to just check out with other dealer and he confirmed the same. On highways, acceleration from 20 to 80-90 takes a lot of time. Its annoying that after every bump or after every obstacle I have to spend too much time and energy to get back to highway cruising speed of 90-100. Engine is quite refined for a small car, but the VVT kicks in at only 4000 rpm. Till then the engine is dead. Overtaking requires a lot of planning and often I have to make emergency braking and fall back. FE seems to be good though. MID shows 17 kmpl which is good considering two wheeler infested Gujarat Highways where I operate. Grand i10 diesel certainly had more punch for overtaking and highway cruising. But Swift makes up for it with overall comfort, ride and entertaining handling.

Read in manual that 0W-20 oil is required, but Mobil 1 does not seem to be selling fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. Shell, Castrol also do not have 0W-20 fully synthetic. Can I install 0W-40 fully synthetic oil ? I understand it will be thicker than recommended,but shouldn't that be helpful ? I plan to change oil at 8000 kms. considering my highway runs and also Gujarat's high temperatures.

EDIT : Always buy a car with ABS atleast. Its a must on Indian roads. I had atleast 10 instances on state highway today where had to brake hard for unmarked series of speed breakers and tyres locked, car skidded.
Hey, we too have a Swift petrol at home. Though I agree that engine is lethargic at lower rpms but things sort of improve after 1500 rpm and i usually upshift at 2-2.2k in city.
On the highways, yes it becomes sort of mandatory to upshift at 3-3.5k and things seems just fine. I always downshift to second gear if my speed falls to 20 or so and I find the accelaration adequate and throttle response to be good for a 1.2L petrol engine. Sometimes i have to downshift even to first to have adeqaute power at tap and its quite annoying to change gears constantly but definitely less annoying than lugging the engine. Though the engine never lugs or knocks per se but instead becomes dead in terms of throttle response at lower rpms. The key is one does have to work upon gears a lot to extract full juice out of this VVT engine.

When you say that from 20 your car takes a lot of time to come at 90, i hope you take off from 20 in second gear and not third.

My car is at 13k kms currently and one thing worth appreciating though early is that it drives just exactly like it used to the day we bought it. Touchwood.
Yes, minors squeaks have developed but engine, steering and suspension characteristicks haven't changed a bit. We also have a WagonR F10D at home and whenever it comes back after a service, it drives very refined and 'tight'. However this refinement ends just after 100 kms or say 5 days, whichever is early. I am not kidding.
No such thing in Swift. Even after servicing, it drives just as same. So much that I checked the color of oil to see its new or not the last time it came back from servicing. Much of this appreciation goes to the refined K Series engine.

I have changed oil twice till now. One at 6k and another at 11k. Mineral oil both times. I think it's 5W30, not sure though, lemme check the invoice.
Plan to shift to synthentic from next service onwards. Do share your experience if you do so.

Also completely agree with the ABS part. Huge miatake from our side to go with the VXI at a time where ABS was not even available as an option. Now they are giving it as an option at least. Braking is a huge letdown. We are still on stock 165 though. Have you upsized yet? If yes, please comment on the differences you felt as compared with the stock tyres. Thanks.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 23rd April 2016 at 22:37.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 19:12   #2675
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
0W20 grade is available as MGO and you can find at most of the MASS, since all K series engines are now recommending the same grade.
The service center where my car is serviced had Servo oil barell, and servo also has MGO 0W-20 engine oil. Thats not going in my car in future. Will try to get Helix or Mobil 1 from other service centers.
My Wagon R K10 CNG also uses synthetic oil like all K-series engines, but want to try other brand than servo.
Will also try to order Helix or Mobil1 oil via MGP this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
1) Hey, we too have a Swift petrol at home. Though I agree that engine is lethargic at lower rpms but things sort of improve after 1500 rpm and i usually upshift at 2-2.2k in city.
...

2) My car is at 13k kms currently and one thing worth appreciating though early is that it drives just exactly like it used to the day we bought it. Touchwood.
...

3) I have changed oil twice till now. One at 6k and another at 11k. Mineral oil both times. I think it's 5W30, not sure though, lemme check the invoice.
Plan to shift to synthentic from next service onwards. Do share your experience if you do so.

4) Also completely agree with the ABS part. Huge miatake from our side to go with the VXI at a time where ABS was not even available as an option. Now they are giving it as an option at least. Braking is a huge letdown. We are still on stock 165 though. Have you upsized yet? If yes, please comment on the differences you felt as compared with the stock tyres. Thanks.
1) The excess gearshifts were real pain in my run. Yes, one has to take it upto 3000 -3500 rpm to have some good progress. But this also means that more fuel is wasted every time I hit a series of small but unmarked speed breakers. Also, a progressive throttle input gives better results than simply flooring the throttle pedal.
This engine needs more torque at lower rpms. But the refinement is nice. More torque would be welcome any given day. For overtaking on single lane highways, keep the engine above 3000 rpm, it rewards well. On return journey, anything less than 30 made me use 2nd gear. Somehow, I have taken a bit longer than usual to settle down with my ride. Another thing is that the lethargic throttle responses were in afternoon where ambient temperatures were quite high, hence on return journey felt need for more grunt.
On the positive side, engine is getting a wee bit smoother after these many kms.

2) Agree, there is not even a single rattle from my car which has seen lot of highway runs.

3) The oil mentioned in manual is 0W-20, and I think K series always used synthetic oil.

4) Yes, biggest mistake. Repenting. Actually, I avoided ABS on Grand i10, and did the same foolish mistake in Swift purchase.
One must install better tyres for sure in case of LXi/VXi, LDi/VDi purchase. I installed 185/70 R14 Bridgestone B290 after first 1000 kms. OEM tyre were useless JK Tornado which had a lot of wobble at highway speeds and grip was pathetic.
The Bridgestone tyres I now have on my Swift are much, much better. Lot of grip in cornering and does justice to capable chassis. Braking, depending on road quality, has improved. Till Kapadvanj from Vadodara, the emergency braking ( thanks to moron two wheeler riders who ride on highway as if its their garden and take random turns, lane changes, etc. and and unmarked speed breakers ) was handled really well. After Kapadvanj, the road quality is bad which does not give similar high friction and there were few skids.
But an upgrade is a must. If you can afford, install 15" alloys and new tyres. The alloys are available in MGA. I kept the OE 14" rims and upgraded the tyres only.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th April 2016 at 19:19.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 19:38   #2676
BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 677
Thanked: 2,609 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The service center where my car is serviced had Servo oil barell, and servo also has MGO 0W-20 engine oil. Thats not going in my car in future. Will try to get Helix or Mobil 1 from other service centers.
My Wagon R K10 CNG also uses synthetic oil like all K-series engines, but want to try other brand than servo.
Will also try to order Helix or Mobil1 oil via MGP this time.
Personally, I also hate servo. They are the worse out there. All my cars run better with Castrol/Shell/Mobil.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 21:36   #2677
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 1,393 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) The excess gearshifts were real pain in my run. Yes, one has to take it upto 3000 -3500 rpm to have some good progress.
3-3.5K for upshifting will be a huge blocker for extracting better mileage. On my sedate driving, upshifting around 1.5-2K gives me enough power.

But have to mention here: drove the first gen K-series Ritz for a good 200kms last week, and was a pleasure to drive in lower gears even in low rpms compared to current Swift.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th April 2016 at 21:38.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 23:05   #2678
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
3-3.5K for upshifting will be a huge blocker for extracting better mileage. On my sedate driving, upshifting around 1.5-2K gives me enough power.
I am not comparing the cars here but just posting my observation.

I own a Alto K10 AMT and when I drive it, I use the manual mode and upshift at 3K RPM. Found that rpm to be good and sweet to upshift. I got an FE of 16 kmpl.

Now my wife uses it in Auto mode and is able to extract 1 kmpl more than what I got. In the auto mode, it is programmed for FE have upshifts too fast i.e. 45 kmph is at 5th.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 23:58   #2679
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 316
Thanked: 539 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

One must install better tyres for sure in case of LXi/VXi, LDi/VDi purchase. I installed 185/70 R14 Bridgestone B290 after first 1000 kms. OEM tyre were useless JK Tornado which had a lot of wobble at highway speeds and grip was pathetic.
The Bridgestone tyres I now have on my Swift are much, much better.
Tyre upgrade is definitely in the cards. Thankfully, i got Bridgestone tyres as OEM and not the crappy JKs.
Are the old alloys still available as an accessory. The old one, not the one which comes with current Swift.
Can you share the price details if you have. Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Guys, has anybody used any petrol additives such as System-G or any other in their K-series Swift or Ritz?
Do share the experience.

Also, the silver colour on the gear shift lever has started to worn off in our Swift. Courtesy, me using it as a hand rest.
I have got rid of this habit for good and now always place both my hands on the steering wheel. But the damage has been done. So I was wondering how to get the silver colour back. Is the upper part of gear shift lever available as a separate part in MGP?
If anyone has MGP booklet for Swift, kindly confirm.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 26th April 2016 at 00:10.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 02:14   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
So I was wondering how to get the silver colour back. Is the upper part of gear shift lever available as a separate part in MGP?
Here you go buddy,

Gearshift Assy:
Name:  ForumRunner_20160426_021152.png
Views: 1609
Size:  553.0 KB

Individual part numbers
Name:  ForumRunner_20160426_021159.png
Views: 1632
Size:  700.1 KB

The part you need is labelled as Number - 2.

You won't be getting the silver part separately, what you'll get is gear knob as a whole piece with the gear markings over it.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th April 2016 at 02:15.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 02:59   #2681
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 316
Thanked: 539 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here you go buddy ,
Thanks a ton Anurag!! Highly appreciate all your efforts including this one and all your detailed DIYs!

I should probably get part 2-4 for Swift, right?
Also, any idea what do those remarks means 4DR, 5DR?
Thanks again!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 26th April 2016 at 03:08.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 03:08   #2682
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I should probably get part 2-4 for Swift, right?
The part you must be looking at is labeled as

"2-4: 28113M67K21-GJL - Gear shift control lever knob (Black/Gray) - 5DR (VXi/ZXi)"

Quote:
Also, any idea what do those remarks means 4DR, 5DR?
DR means Door so it is 4 door or 5 door.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th April 2016 at 03:14.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 12:34   #2683
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 1,393 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I own a Alto K10 AMT and when I drive it, I use the manual mode and upshift at 3K RPM. Found that rpm to be good and sweet to upshift. I got an FE of 16 kmpl.
Glad that you are satisfied with the mileage you are extracting. But I will not be satisfied with that, and will be looking for something around 20KMPL.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 21:10   #2684
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,764
Thanked: 10,655 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Swift Limited Edition is coming!
Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review-chmp5nhuuaeam3u.jpg


https://twitter.com/maruti_swift
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 09:37   #2685
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,492
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Swift Limited Edition is coming!
Thanks volkman10 for sharing that, I only hope there is something substantial on this.

Considering Maruti's "Limited Edition" history, I sincerely hope that this is not all about some dumb racing lines, racing decales, racing stitches on the fabric, etc.
Rather a DDIS with 90HP and 1.4 K series on the offering will be a blast!! Keep Wishing...


P.S - I may be wrong here, but the pricing & value of the Baleno seems to have stolen the thunder from the Swift. Is this a come back game for one of the first true hot hatches of India ??

Last edited by Vik0728 : 5th May 2016 at 09:39.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 1543 2nd December 2016 19:04
Maruti WagonR : Test Drive & Review Eddy Official New Car Reviews 651 26th November 2016 22:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks