Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 12:50   #1261
BHPian
 
Cayman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I TDed the new Swift today, the test drive vehicle was a ZXI.

I was thinking about booking it, now have to check out other options. Honda Brio is the next choice. But Brio's wheel base is lesser than my Astar's it worries me if i am getting a smaller car :(
I've posted this elsewhere as well - Brio SMT (0) is way cheaper than the Swift ZXi, with Abs/Airbags included. Is the Swift petrol worth the extra dough? Do TD and let us know..

Both great petrol engines, Brio may have the edge is interior space and airiness, Swift in a more sorted suspension (ride/handling) and sportier interiors (and auto AC), Alloys, but thats it.

Rs 80k price difference!
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 13:41   #1262
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 509
Thanked: 228 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
I've posted this elsewhere as well - Brio SMT (0) is way cheaper than the Swift ZXi, with Abs/Airbags included. Is the Swift petrol worth the extra dough? Do TD and let us know..

Both great petrol engines, Brio may have the edge is interior space and airiness, Swift in a more sorted suspension (ride/handling) and sportier interiors (and auto AC), Alloys, but thats it.

Rs 80k price difference!
Edge in terms of interior space ?
Honestly speaking there isn't much of a difference . Rather Swift's seats are comfortable place to be on.

Brio definitely quicker than swift thanks to superior p:w ratio and that peppiness is fun.

Keeping that aside, I will position Swift notch above brio thanks to a more refined and mature suspension (ride quality is distinctly superior), sportier looks and more stylish interior (even in black).
Brio has got its cost cutting bits like all glass hatch,dashboard's unconventional design,the fixed head rests with thin padding on the seats etc. Swift is more complete a car in that sense.

Add ACC, well integrated audio system, wider tyres,rear wiper-defogger, and alloy wheels to the package. I think 80Ks isnot too bad an investment.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 19:31   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Why isn't brake assist not provided in the L & V variants of the new Swift? The old Swift had Brake Assist even in the Non-ABS equipped L & V variants.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2775764 (Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue)
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:23   #1264
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 677
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Hey Swift owners, with the summers already at its peak how would you rate your AC/ACCs performance ?

Last 2 days in Delhi were too hot, ambient temperature as shown by MID was 40~43 degrees and it took more than 15 minutes to cool the cabin with the car parked which was parked in the sun.
I do keep my windows rolled down for 2-3 mins so that hot air can escape. I had set my ACC to 18 degrees (which is a notch above the lowest possible "LO" in new swift) and the blower was running at full blast throught my 1 hour joururney. Even in the lowest temperature setting which is "LO" the cabin is never chilled but is just about comfortable one of the reason being that I got my 3M sunfilms removed recently.I would rate ACCs performance as average

Also if I put my hand just outside the aircon vents so as to try to feel the temperature of the air coming out before it gets mixed with the warm cabin air; even this cool air is not that "cool" as compared to that you get during cloudy or night driving for initial 5-6 minutes. I guess the AC ducts and evaporator fins also get heated up due to hot cabin air and hence this issue.
I agree with your observation. The ACC in the new Swift though functionally more convenient does not cool the cabin as rapidly as the older Swift ZXi's ACC. I suspect this due to the (slightly) larger cabin area and MUL's ploy to retain the same compressor as in the older Swift. The throw of air from the side vents too is disappointing. Having said that, if you hit the "Auto" button after setting the temperature, the cooling is satisfactory; just that it take a tad longer to chill.

40-43 C down to 18 C is a huge differential. I don't think other cars ACC system would perform much differently.

I would rate the ACC's performance in the new Swift as 7/10, would give the previous Swift a 8/10.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:59   #1265
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default FE for new swift

I've noticed that my MID shows avg FE between 13-14 (diesel) if I use the car only in the Bangalore city(mostly office hours, Koramangala-MG road thereabout). Tankful to tankful is also almost the same. Is this in lines with what others see? in highway normal is 16-19, but if I drive sedately MID will show upto 21-22.
My car has done around 5000 kms now. Second service is due.

Last edited by jingaboysr : 14th May 2012 at 14:00.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 15:45   #1266
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 229
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: FE for new swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I've noticed that my MID shows avg FE between 13-14 (diesel) if I use the car only in the Bangalore city(mostly office hours, Koramangala-MG road thereabout). Tankful to tankful is also almost the same. Is this in lines with what others see? in highway normal is 16-19, but if I drive sedately MID will show upto 21-22.
My car has done around 5000 kms now. Second service is due.
With AC in city, the number looks slightly lower than what I get. You must be immobile a lot of time when you are stuck in traffic. I get about 15-16 kmpl in city and on the highway, I have never got below 17 even with some spirited driving. Your sedate driving figures match. I think, overall your Swift is doing fine

Mine is at 4700 kms and planning to go for the 2nd service soon.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 16:19   #1267
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: FE for new swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
With AC in city, the number looks slightly lower than what I get. You must be immobile a lot of time when you are stuck in traffic. I get about 15-16 kmpl in city and on the highway, I have never got below 17 even with some spirited driving. Your sedate driving figures match. I think, overall your Swift is doing fine

Mine is at 4700 kms and planning to go for the 2nd service soon.
Looks like I see lesser FE figures. as compared to other cars of the same odo reading. I have seen the MID avg reduce to 16 with some spirited driving. Might be because of my driving style, nevertheless, I think I should mention this to the SA for my next (5000 kms) service.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 20:58   #1268
BHPian
 
beast_within's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raipur
Posts: 85
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I agree with your observation. The ACC in the new Swift though functionally more convenient does not cool the cabin as rapidly as the older Swift ZXi's ACC.
From my limited knowledge on the working of ACC, I understand that these systems maintain the desired temperature by mixing cold and hot air plus adjusting the blower speed. Is the ratio of cold + hot air to be mixed hard coded into the ACCs logic like the manual AC ( with mechanical controls) or its calculated by ACC based on the temperature desired and ambient temperature. In manual ACs the hot air is completely blocked only if the Temperature control knob is in extreme Cold position and vice versa
Just to make it a bit clear what if the ambient temperature is 40 degrees and I set my ACC to 25 degrees - will it still mix certian amount of hot air with the cold air and compenseate this with higher blower speed to bring down the temperature to the desired levels. If this is the case than it dosen't make scense to use ACC, we can set it to operate it manually with the temperature knob set to fully Cold position therby completely blocking hot air. Hope I have made myself clear.
beast_within is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 21:08   #1269
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 677
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within

From my limited knowledge on the working of ACC, I understand that these systems maintain the desired temperature by mixing cold and hot air plus adjusting the blower speed. Is the ratio of cold + hot air to be mixed hard coded into the ACCs logic like the manual AC ( with mechanical controls) or its calculated by ACC based on the temperature desired and ambient temperature. In manual ACs the hot air is completely blocked only if the Temperature control knob is in extreme Cold position and vice versa
Just to make it a bit clear what if the ambient temperature is 40 degrees and I set my ACC to 25 degrees - will it still mix certian amount of hot air with the cold air and compenseate this with higher blower speed to bring down the temperature to the desired levels. If this is the case than it dosen't make scense to use ACC, we can set it to operate it manually with the temperature knob set to fully Cold position therby completely blocking hot air. Hope I have made myself clear.
More often than not, you would be using the cooling option. So its always cold air being thrown out from the AC panel cooling to the desired temperature. There can't be a mix of cold and hot air at any given time. If you set a temp of say 30C and the outside temp is 20C, the ACC will only throw out hot air (AC compressor will just turn off). The ACC is intelligent enough to decide whether hot or cold air should be thrown out depending on the temperature preset and actual cabin temperature.

In winter months, I have noticed the cooling through ACC is not effective if I set the temp to say 22C when the outside temp is 15C. The reason being the compressor is in off condition due to higher temp preset into the ACC panel. In summer months, 22C could be quite chilling through the ACC.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:48   #1270
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 708
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: FE for new swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Looks like I see lesser FE figures. as compared to other cars of the same odo reading. I have seen the MID avg reduce to 16 with some spirited driving. Might be because of my driving style, nevertheless, I think I should mention this to the SA for my next (5000 kms) service.
Well even I keep seeing 14.5-17 mix of City and Highway in the MID with ACC on full time. If my driver drives, it falls to 15. when I or my sister drive, it is around 17. My car odo reading is 5k and is done with second service. Nothing replaced.

For all the cars that we have or owned we never got more than 70% of the rated mileage with normal driving. Swift @ 14-17 falls in this range, so I am ok with it. Till now the only issue for me is @ auto Cutoff , the range is only 570-580 Kms. I have not seen 600+ kms till date. I need to do full tank and then review

Last edited by indian21r : 15th May 2012 at 11:49.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 15:30   #1271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NCR
Posts: 33
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Rumor I heard is that after Dzire Diesel now Maruti is contemplating to increase the price on Swift (diesel- 8k approx) by June . Anyone heard anything on similar lines.
kartik.virmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 21:58   #1272
BHPian
 
devil_klm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 401
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: FE for new swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I've noticed that my MID shows avg FE between 13-14 (diesel) if I use the car only in the Bangalore city(mostly office hours, Koramangala-MG road thereabout). Tankful to tankful is also almost the same. Is this in lines with what others see? in highway normal is 16-19, but if I drive sedately MID will show upto 21-22.
My car has done around 5000 kms now. Second service is due.
What speed and rpm you travel in highways?
I keep my speed within 100 and rpm around 2000 and MID shows 30.
Never shown above 30 i think that is the limit set by maruti
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 22:22   #1273
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,327
Thanked: 5,261 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Guys, an important bulletin has been shared by fellow bhpian F150 here. Please be advised that your oil change cost has increased four fold if your car was manufactured with the mentioned engine.

Thanks F150!


Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Well even I keep seeing 14.5-17 mix of City and Highway in the MID with ACC on full time. If my driver drives, it falls to 15. when I or my sister drive, it is around 17. My car odo reading is 5k and is done with second service. Nothing replaced.
For all the cars that we have or owned we never got more than 70% of the rated mileage with normal driving. Swift @ 14-17 falls in this range, so I am ok with it. Till now the only issue for me is @ auto Cutoff , the range is only 570-580 Kms. I have not seen 600+ kms till date. I need to do full tank and then review
Don't worry too much about it. I get around 15-18kmpl in the city with AC. The moment I drive to Bombay over a weekend, the FE on the MID drops to 13-15 kmpl levels. I do manage to get over 600 kms on a tank full regularly in Pune due to the traffic conditions and my work timings.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2012 at 22:24.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:27   #1274
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Deliver of my car today. Yay!!. Pretty excited. Have taken a PDI printout. Anything else you guys recommend?

Last edited by geeash : 16th May 2012 at 05:29.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 07:40   #1275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/ Trichy
Posts: 316
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Congrats!! You can ask them to install a relay for your headlamps with ceramic holders and change the bulbs to 100/90W or 130/100W. It can be done now or at the 1st service. Please don't forget a camera and do take your loved ones along for the delivery! Post pictures ;-)
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 1543 2nd December 2016 19:04
Maruti WagonR : Test Drive & Review Eddy Official New Car Reviews 651 26th November 2016 22:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks