Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 10:34   #1516
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Attn all XUV owners:

This is something I discovered during my drive yesterday that I thought all of you must be aware of.

Now as a matter of habit, I tend to hold the steering wheel with my right hand at the 3'o clock position - where the steering wheel spoke meets the wheel. Thats where you see the "+" and "-" buttons (among others).

Here's what happened....while driving, with my hand at this position on the steering, I accidentally pressed the "+" button for a few seconds. Now you know what that does....it engages the cruise control. So here I am in slow moving gurgaon traffic with only a few feet of distance from the car in front...and suddenly, my XUV leaps forward accelerating to reach the preset cruise control speed.

Man that was disconcerting, to say the least, and extremely dangerous. Thankfully, I could react fast enough on the brake and slow it down (the braking also disengaged the cruise control).

Since then, I've been very conscious of where I hold the steering at, and making sure I dont accidentally press these buttons again.

This is probably a design flaw....or maybe its just me....but I feel this is the place most of us grab the steering at.

Thought I'd post this for all of your benefit...do be careful.
JeepSomeday is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 11:21   #1517
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,351
Thanked: 574 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Isnt there a cruise control ON/OFF button? Why would you keep that button ON all the time? usually the cruise control buttons are kept a little inside next to the central hub and not towards the steering, right? (atleast in the cars that I owned)

Last edited by srishiva : 5th January 2012 at 11:22.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 12:16   #1518
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Isnt there a cruise control ON/OFF button? Why would you keep that button ON all the time? usually the cruise control buttons are kept a little inside next to the central hub and not towards the steering, right? (atleast in the cars that I owned)
There is a "Cruise Off" button right next to these "+" and "-" ones, but no "Cruise On" one. So as I understand, thats simply to disengage Cruise Control (as an alternative to pressing the brakes) when you want to revert to manual.

So CC is by default "on".and you simply engage it by long pressing "+"which is what I accidentaly did.

And yes, it is the placement thats the bummer, its not on the inside but right at the periphery, where the spoke meets the steering wheel rim. Unless there's something I dont know, this is an accident waiting to happen

JeepSomeday is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 12:21   #1519
BHPian
 
naveenchhillar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rohtak-Noida
Posts: 129
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Attn all XUV owners:

This is something I discovered during my drive yesterday that I thought all of you must be aware of.

Now as a matter of habit, I tend to hold the steering wheel with my right hand at the 3'o clock position - where the steering wheel spoke meets the wheel. Thats where you see the "+" and "-" buttons (among others).

Here's what happened....while driving, with my hand at this position on the steering, I accidentally pressed the "+" button for a few seconds. Now you know what that does....it engages the cruise control. So here I am in slow moving gurgaon traffic with only a few feet of distance from the car in front...and suddenly, my XUV leaps forward accelerating to reach the preset cruise control speed.
Adding on to this issue- I think that the HORN position is also slightly awkward. You can engage it with your thumb, like other vehicles. It is too centrally located for my taste :(
naveenchhillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 12:28   #1520
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
There is a "Cruise Off" button right next to these "+" and "-" ones,
I'm glad that you could avert a potential accident!

Is there a display indicator when the CC is on (on instrument cluster)? I couldn't see one from the pictures posted on the page 1 of this thread.
smopuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:03   #1521
BHPian
 
DigitalSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
This is probably a design flaw....or maybe its just me....but I feel this is the place most of us grab the steering at.
Good that you were responsive enough to take the action and avoid a mishap and many thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is indeed helpful.
However calling this a design flaw isn't fair with its designers. In my honest opinion this is of the most convenient position to place these controls as you would need it mostly at higher speeds. To be honest, I really liked this feature and I find it very easy to use. Whenever CC is engaged any activity of pressing Cruise Off or clutch or break turns it off immediately. There is very nice Resume feature as well. Whilst in CC if there is some momentary obstacle then you can disengage CC using any of the available option. Once the obstacle is gone just press RES and CC will be in action again.. Kudos to the design and beautiful implementation that works..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Attn all XUV owners:
Since then, I've been very conscious of where I hold the steering at, and making sure I dont accidentally press these buttions again.
... and this statement tells the fact. Please don't get me wrong but I guess this is case of improper user training. Mahindra has done a good job in preparing the manuals in parts to explain all the controls and features. This is a feature laden vehicle and steering is not a plain normal one so we need to take extra efforts to understand the controls and make us well conversant with them before driving the vehicle. This suggestion is for our own benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post
Is there a display indicator when the CC is on (on instrument cluster)? I couldn't see one from the pictures posted on the page 1 of this thread.
Yes there is a green indicator for cruise control that turns on when CC is engaged. It is well placed not to miss it when you look at the indicator panel.

Last edited by DigitalSoul : 5th January 2012 at 14:10. Reason: typo correction
DigitalSoul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:30   #1522
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Digitalsoul: Dude, dying for you to start the ownership thread and upload some beautiful pics. How bout doing so this weekend
Joyb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:33   #1523
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSoul View Post
Good that you were responsive enough to take the action and avoid a mishap and many thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is indeed helpful.
However calling this a design flaw isn't fair with its designers. In my honest opinion this is of the most convenient position to place these controls as you would need it mostly at higher speeds. To be honest, I really liked this

... and this statement tells the fact. I guess this is case of improper user training.


Yes there is a green indicator for cruise control that turns on when CC is engaged. It is well placed not to miss it when you look at the indicator panel.
Hi,

Pardon my critique here....but I dont agree on some of your points:

Yes Cruise Control is a great feature...so is resume etc...and kudos to M&M for giving us these...but thats not the point. My point was on the placement of these buttons and yes...its a little too conveniently placed (there is such a thing). As you can make out from my experience, by placing them where they are - you can accidentally engage CC with potentially disastrous consequences.

Your point on improper user training, quite honestly, took me aback a bit. When you research such things as a design team, you look at how typically the vehicle is used and design stuff around that. For example, look at how we engage the first gear. Now knowing that, you would have a mechanism (the lifting of the ring or pressing down of the gear stick) to ensure a driver doesnt accidentally engage the reverse when he wants to engage the first. Would removing this mechanism make it more convenient...for sure. But then...

So now, as I hear you, instead of incorporating this obvious mechanism, they should instead train me? Saying we have designed this in a way that you would engage reverse instead of first...but hey...let us help you practice the right angle so you dont?

For these cruise control buttons, I would, instead, extend the horn button right upto the steering rim (where all these buttons are) and place these buttons a little higher up...the place where you usually dont hold the steering at, but at a thumb's reach...

So, as I see it..in my opinion.. there is an issue here...lets face it...and ofcourse, since it is fait accompli, we have to get used to it and take precautions (which was the spirit of my post). Good designing, however, means you dont need to adapt your driving style (presuming yours isnt an exceptional style) around a vehicle's idiosyncrasies.

Parting note....I love my XUV Its the best impulsive decision I have made yet in my life !!!

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 13:11. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
JeepSomeday is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:57   #1524
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

@JeepSomeday - nice pic for cruise control button,

post the pic for 4wd lock and also what manual says about it.

thks!
Crazy4Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 15:30   #1525
BHPian
 
DigitalSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Digitalsoul: Dude, dying for you to start the ownership thread and upload some beautiful pics. How bout doing so this weekend
Hey Joy
Thanks for your encouragment. But I am really busy finding a descent ICE upgrade for XUV that fits my budget of 35-40k. And I guess you are also looking for something
similar.
Moreover there are already 3 very good ownership threads here. I will surely post mine once ICE upgrading is completed.
DigitalSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 15:39   #1526
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 184
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I guess too, especially the pain i went through


Yes it came by post today.
Haven't received any and I have already bought the tickets online
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 16:27   #1527
BHPian
 
rohitbagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 401
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday

Hi,

Pardon my critique here....but I dont agree on some of your points:

Yes Cruise Control is a great feature...so is resume etc...and kudos to M&M for giving us these...but thats not the point. My point was on the placement of these buttons and yes...its a little too conveniently placed (there is such a thing). As you can make out from my experience, by placing them where they are - you can accidentally engage CC with potentially disastrous consequences.

Your point on improper user training, quite honestly, took me aback a bit. When you research such things as a design team, you look at how typically the vehicle is used and design stuff around that. For example, look at how we engage the first gear. Now knowing that, you would have a mechanism (the lifting of the ring or pressing down of the gear stick) to ensure a driver doesnt accidentally engage the reverse when he wants to engage the first. Would removing this mechanism make it more convenient...for sure. But then...

So now, as I hear you, instead of incorporating this obvious mechanism, they should instead train me? Saying we have designed this in a way that you would engage reverse instead of first...but hey...let us help you practice the right angle so you dont?

For these cruise control buttons, I would, instead, extend the horn button right upto the steering rim (where all these buttons are) and place these buttons a little higher up...the place where you usually dont hold the steering at, but at a thumb's reach...

So, as I see it..in my opinion.. there is an issue here...lets face it...and ofcourse, since it is fait accompli, we have to get used to it and take precautions (which was the spirit of my post). Good designing, however, means you dont need to adapt your driving style (presuming yours isnt an exceptional style) around a vehicle's idiosyncrasies.

Parting note....I love my XUV Its the best impulsive decision I have made yet in my life !!!
I think it's a bit if exaggeration. The continuous press of the + sign will only engage the cruse control and will maintain the current speed however if you keep it pressing for longer duration it will increase the speed and mind you it won't be sudden it will increase gradually. For me it's never auto engaged accidentally for my 5000+ km I have driven my XUV. Infect I can confidently say that it's the best place it could have been placed. There is a cruse off button till you get use to of that placement.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 16:30   #1528
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 51
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Hey guys I will be getting my xuv tommorow. Can someone check the vin for me c6a70175 . They claim it to be a 2012 model and are therefore charging me 25k extra. Just went for a look at the stockyard and the xuv looked fantastic. Will be uploding few pics soon.
Really appreciate your help.
mayank123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 16:53   #1529
BHPian
 
DigitalSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
Hey guys I will be getting my xuv tommorow. Can someone check the vin for me c6a70175 . They claim it to be a 2012 model and are therefore charging me 25k extra. Just went for a look at the stockyard and the xuv looked fantastic. Will be uploding few pics soon.
Really appreciate your help.
Yes C6A is indeed a 2012 model.
Decoding for this as below -
C = 2012
6 = Chakan
A = January
70175 = Serial Number

Last edited by DigitalSoul : 5th January 2012 at 16:55. Reason: added detailed decoding
DigitalSoul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 17:39   #1530
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I think it's a bit if exaggeration. The continuous press of the + sign will only engage the cruse control and will maintain the current speed however if you keep it pressing for longer duration it will increase the speed and mind you it won't be sudden it will increase gradually. For me it's never auto engaged accidentally for my 5000+ km I have driven my XUV. Infect I can confidently say that it's the best place it could have been placed. There is a cruse off button till you get use to of that placement.
Thats what I did, I think...kept it pressed so the speed kept increasing. It did not feel gradual though

I still feel extending the horn button (that we use more often) till there and placing CC controls a little higher would work better (for me atleast). But yes, its about getting used to these things as they are. I for sure havent pressed it again (accidentally or otherwise) since then !!
JeepSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 113 20th December 2016 16:13
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks