Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 23:09   #2401
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Is the date from a firm source ? I would prefer that the bookings reopen at the same time when the Duster to be launched so that a choice can be made.
I got a call from SKS Auto in Bangalore that the bookings are likely to re-open from May 15th onwards, and this time its unlikely to be a centralized lottery system type one. I guess we have wait and see.
redindian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:18   #2402
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
your welcome. The Duster looks good but i think it is a segment lower compared to the XUV. and going by the renault's strategy, it will come with the same 1.5L Diesel engine as the logan, micro and even the fluence! I highly doubt it will be even in the state of tune as the one in the fluence. read somewhere that it will be just about 85 BHP! that puts me off immediately! the XUV seems to be a far capable car on the highway at least engine wise. even the scorpio looks better engine wise. if only renault would give a 2L engine... but then again it didn't do that even with the fluence!

I also highly doubt that it will have all the gizmos that the XUV comes with. the mahindra have surely gone over board in every department when it comes to the XUV leaving hardly any scope for other cars in competition!
Just an FYI, Duster will come in 2 engine variants and one of them will be more than 100Bhp, so power will not be an issue. Also, it will come (later) with proper 4x4 unlike XUV's AWD which is useless for a country like India.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:27   #2403
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan

I guess you got it in the second phase right? Why July 21! You should get it way before that. They have confirmed 15 days to delivery for people making the full payment (guys from 3rd phase of booking - who didnt get lucky with lottery).

That also reminds me a question, I have read people making full payment only after the vehicle leaves factory or a couple days before the delivery date. Is it ok to pay full amount when they are confirming 15 days to delivery?
I booked it in the 3rd phase

Let me check if full payment can move the dates
vaibhavdalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:31   #2404
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Just an FYI, Duster will come in 2 engine variants and one of them will be more than 100Bhp, so power will not be an issue. Also, it will come (later) with proper 4x4 unlike XUV's AWD which is useless for a country like India.
still it would be around 106PS like the fluence. the XUV still sounds better engine wise. and I doubt the Duster will be launched with the 4x4 initially. lets hope it does though.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:55   #2405
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
still it would be around 106PS like the fluence. the XUV still sounds better engine wise. and I doubt the Duster will be launched with the 4x4 initially. lets hope it does though.
Agreed but for SUV's its not always Bhp that counts, torque and weight also plays a major role. Duster being a smaller version of SUV will be less on weight so that can compensate on bhp. For e.g. Fiesta, it only has 68 bhp, but it can beat most of the diesel cars in its segments when it comes to drivability and pickup. XUV has a turbo lag hence its not that friendly in terms of drivability in city driving.

As for 4x4, as said before, it will come later for sure.

PS: these are just my thought so no offence.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:56   #2406
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,369
Thanked: 519 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Just an FYI, Duster will come in 2 engine variants and one of them will be more than 100Bhp, so power will not be an issue. Also, it will come (later) with proper 4x4 unlike XUV's AWD which is useless for a country like India.
Can you elaborate what 4X4 system Duster will have and how XUV's AWD is useless in Indian conditions?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:15   #2407
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Agreed but for SUV's its not always Bhp that counts, torque and weight also plays a major role. Duster being a smaller version of SUV will be less on weight so that can compensate on bhp. For e.g. Fiesta, it only has 68 bhp, but it can beat most of the diesel cars in its segments when it comes to drivability and pickup. XUV has a turbo lag hence its not that friendly in terms of drivability in city driving.

As for 4x4, as said before, it will come later for sure.

PS: these are just my thought so no offence.
I thought that the XUV has very little or almost negligible turbo lag. and also I actually don't quite agree with your point made in previous post about AWD being useless in indian conditions. agree that XUV may not be as capable off road as a proper 4x4 vehicle like a fortuner or Pajero but I think it would still be good enough for moderate off roading with slush, ruts etc. and that is whats usually required by all SUV owners except proper off road enthusiasts who make special trips to off road courses.

Last edited by magikrider : 7th May 2012 at 00:16.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:18   #2408
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Can you elaborate what 4X4 system Duster will have and how XUV's AWD is useless in Indian conditions?
A typical 4x4 has a low end torque which means it can do real hard core of-roading. Also it can be engaged anytime when needed. For e.g. look at gypsy, why do you see gypsy's whenever you go to national parks like ranthambore. Simple, they are typical 4x4 with low end torque, that means they can pull anything and everything in almost all terrain.

AWD was created as a safety feature for modern day cars. Not designed for hard work or off-road use. They are more useful for ICE/slippery roads where all wheels are in motion resulting in better control and not when you are out on a typical off road condition with rocks,mud etc. So unless you live in Hilly area with snow/rainy roads, they dont do much.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:30   #2409
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I thought that the XUV has very little or almost negligible turbo lag. and also I actually don't quite agree with your point made in previous post about AWD being useless in indian conditions. agree that XUV may not be as capable off road as a proper 4x4 vehicle like a fortuner or Pajero but I think it would still be good enough for moderate off roading with slush, ruts etc. and that is whats usually required by all SUV owners except proper off road enthusiasts who make special trips to off road courses.
XUV does have a turbo lag. I have been driving XUV since Nov 2011 and know it. Its not that bad but its there for sure. Try pulling XUV below 1600-1700 rpm and you will get to know.

As for AWD, yes i agree with you that 4x4 is for real off-road enthusiast and thats the reason i said that its not that useful in Indian condition. As said before, AWD is more useful for Ice'y/ slippery roads, which you dont get to see in most part of the country.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:31   #2410
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,369
Thanked: 519 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
A typical 4x4 has a low end torque which means it can do real hard core of-roading. Also it can be engaged anytime when needed. For e.g. look at gypsy, why do you see gypsy's whenever you go to national parks like ranthambore. Simple, they are typical 4x4 with low end torque, that means they can pull anything and everything in almost all terrain.
Are you sure Duster 4X4 has low range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
AWD was created as a safety feature for modern day cars. Not designed for hard work or off-road use. They are more useful for ICE/slippery roads where all wheels are in motion resulting in better control and not when you are out on a typical off road condition with rocks,mud etc. So unless you live in Hilly area with snow/rainy roads, they dont do much.
How many people will encounter rock, mud and snow unless one is in to doing OTR for fun? (since you said XUV AWD is useless in Indian conditions) .
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:38   #2411
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you sure Duster 4X4 has low range?
Yes i am sure.
How many people will encounter rock, mud and snow unless one is in to doing OTR for fun? (since you said XUV AWD is useless in Indian conditions) .
Exactly, thats what i said. How many people will encounter snow/slippery condition in india??
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:48   #2412
BHPian
 
rohitbagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 401
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli
For e.g. look at gypsy, why do you see gypsy's whenever you go to national parks like ranthambore. Simple, they are typical 4x4 with low end torque, that means they can pull anything and everything in almost all terrain..
Nitin, it could be that i am misinformed, but AFAIK in national parks diesel cars are not allowed for safaris, only petrol 4X4's are allowed. I came to know when I was at pachmarhi, MP and was visiting the national park there.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:00   #2413
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Nitin, it could be that i am misinformed, but AFAIK in national parks diesel cars are not allowed for safaris, only petrol 4X4's are allowed. I came to know when I was at pachmarhi, MP and was visiting the national park there.
Well not exactly sir. I went in my Fiesta diesel in corbett without any issue. As far as Gypsy is concerned, yes they are petrol ones but the point i was making was about 4x4 and AWD.

FYI: if you see my profile pic, you can see my fiesta crossing one of the water bodies in corbett

Last edited by nitinralli : 7th May 2012 at 01:07.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:06   #2414
BHPian
 
rohitbagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 401
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli

Well not exactly sir. I went in my Fiesta diesel in corbett without any issue. As far as Gypsy is concerned, yes they are petrol ones but the point i was making was about 4x4 and AWD.
I too went in my verna to Corbett. But diesels are not allowed in some of those areas for commercial use I.e. safaris for hire.
EDIT I don't think gypsys have that impressive low end torque if compared to diesel 4X4s

Last edited by rohitbagai : 7th May 2012 at 01:09.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:39   #2415
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I too went in my verna to Corbett. But diesels are not allowed in some of those areas for commercial use I.e. safaris for hire.
EDIT I don't think gypsys have that impressive low end torque if compared to diesel 4X4s
Well i am not sure what went wrong with you but i was able to enjoy the entire trip in corbett in my diesel fiesta without any hiccups. As it is you need to take a permission from outside (ramnagar) in order to take your car and stay inside corbett.

As for gypsy's, again as i said, i am talking bout 4x4 against AWD and not petrol against diesel.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks