Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 17:31   #2896
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,560
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
No offence.. I have to disagree to some extent. During the later part of the evening when the sun is almost down, and it starts to be dark and dosent make sense having your headlights on, I usually drive with the parking lights and the fog lights switched on. And the fog lights do give some amount of visibility. And while taking turns on roads with no lights, I have felt the lights providing some extra visibility.

I drive an Accent right now and have no idea if the effect of the lights vary with the car brand/make, the light size and the fitment area on the bumpers.

FundaG
IT does not have to do with the make of the car but with the power of the light. I regret to say that in almost all vehicles,, the "fog light" is more than a gimmick and does not really provide that visibility in Fog / rain.

Good Fog lamps or rather the best i have used is "Light force". They are expensive(25,000/- per pair) but really do the job.

Alternatively HID (head-lamps)s also do the job to an extent.

For XUV, There is a Philips replacement bulb that enhances the current throw. All you need to look for is "straight line" throw, where-as most of the factory fog lams offer "reflective throw".
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 18:44   #2897
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 539 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
By any chance is that extensive amount of blackness due to the photography..The throw of the light seems to be very very less on the right side and nothing is visible after a short distance. Its like driving into some black hole on the right..

So while driving is it better than how it came in the photo....

FundaG
Its the picture that came out like this, otherwise its not that bad. When you asked this question, i checked my pic again and boy i was surprised too to see the extent of darkness
One more thing, this pic was taken at a slight elevated road that was turning towards right, this could be one of the reason as well. Otherwise, the throw is ok for a projector lights. Being a projector, they would have a cutoff somewhere.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 19:42   #2898
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
DONT even think of buying it from them. 75K for alloys you will get a real good looking alloys from outside with fraction of the cost. I got mine for 25K.
So wait on it, get the car, run it for some time, look for the after market alloys, select the one you like and buy them. Money saved, send it to me
nitinralli:- Can you please post the images of your xuv 5oo with alloy wheels?
bp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 20:12   #2899
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,874
Thanked: 2,276 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I have a question for all the bhpians here.
Has the XUV 500 W8 AWD become niggle free now?
Not sure when it will become niggle free, but the 4WD system is from Borg Warner so it should be already be pretty well tested. In today's rewspaper, I read that Mahindra has gotten 20% bookings for AWD variant when they were expecting only 5% AWD variant to they are unable to meet demand for AWD variant.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 20:50   #2900
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 517 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Not sure when it will become niggle free, but the 4WD system is from Borg Warner so it should be already be pretty well tested.
Is it the same which is on scorpio as well? I was reading somewhere that the 4WD system did not work on the Scorpios in one of the OTRs.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 21:11   #2901
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,874
Thanked: 2,276 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is it the same which is on scorpio as well? I was reading somewhere that the 4WD system did not work on the Scorpios in one of the OTRs.
It is from the Same company but not the same system. The Scorpio has a transfer case with low range gear. The XUV has a system that is based on a clutch pack/friction plates like most SUVs.

The Scorpio 4WD system failures are mainly due to malfunction of the electric motor and other electronics associated with the transfer case and not with the transfer case it self. There is a manual version of the same Transfer case in the Mahindra Thar which is very robust.

I have a Scorpio 4WD and touch wood, there are no issues with the Transfer case as of 63,000 kilotemeters and I use 4WD fairly regularly.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 22:41   #2902
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 417 Times
Smile Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp74 View Post
nitinralli:- Can you please post the images of your xuv 5oo with alloy wheels?
Posting on behalf of nitin, Here's the pic of his XUV with awesome alloys

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-100_5656.jpg

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 23:41   #2903
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Its the picture that came out like this, otherwise its not that bad. When you asked this question, i checked my pic again and boy i was surprised too to see the extent of darkness
One more thing, this pic was taken at a slight elevated road that was turning towards right, this could be one of the reason as well. Otherwise, the throw is ok for a projector lights. Being a projector, they would have a cutoff somewhere.
I am not sure but is it the same issue Sathya_sc was facing. Here's the link-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2851710
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 23:57   #2904
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nasik / Mumbai
Posts: 417
Thanked: 557 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

2 'Not so awesome' pics of an unregistered XUV awaiting PDI here in Nasik



antz.bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 09:02   #2905
BHPian
 
reevester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 93
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
Ok, first of all, you are right that these are not real fogs . However, since the normal lamps are provided in the area where the real fogs [with yellow color] are to be put, for lack of better name I guess we call them as fog lamps.

Then, it is a misnomer to say that by switching on these lamps, you get better visibility. Please do this and check it yourself. Put the light into first step, this will usually switch on the parking lamps [not the indicators that flash, but on the light switch, first step]. Only if you do this, the fog lamps can be put on. So, now put on the fog lamps and check the visibility. Does it improve anything? Even in pitch dark, the area in front of the car will be comparitively brighter and you will know the lights are switched on, but that is practically useless. It is only a perception that it illuminates the sides and gives better visibility. While I say this, this feeling is subjective. At least for me, this is not useful at all and I hate this. I take up with my kids when they switch it on [when no key in car ]

The only way it is useful is when you have dropped something in the ground and are using these lamps to search for them. Otherwise it does not serve any purpose for the driver who is driving with these put on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
No offence.. I have to disagree to some extent. During the later part of the evening when the sun is almost down, and it starts to be dark and dosent make sense having your headlights on, I usually drive with the parking lights and the fog lights switched on. And the fog lights do give some amount of visibility. And while taking turns on roads with no lights, I have felt the lights providing some extra visibility.

I drive an Accent right now and have no idea if the effect of the lights vary with the car brand/make, the light size and the fitment area on the bumpers.

FundaG
I actually use my 'power lamps' (thats what they're called; not really fog lamps) when I am on the Highways, in heavy rains etc. While they may not really illuminate the path they serve as a brilliant way of illuminating your car on the road i.e. making it more visible.

You will notice that cars with lights on are more visible than cars without lights on even in broad daylight.

My two cents on safe driving.
reevester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 10:47   #2906
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,560
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
2 'Not so awesome' pics of an unregistered XUV awaiting PDI here in Nasik


Already the discs look rusted. Wondering whether it would be robust in the long term.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 13:28   #2907
BHPian
 
Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post


Already the discs look rusted. Wondering whether it would be robust in the long term.
Are we being overcritical of Mahindra here? To the best of my knowledge exposed steel oxidizes resulting in rust and it has been noticed in other cars with disc breaks as well.
The rust will disappear once you drive the car for some distance.

-- wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 16:03   #2908
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 121
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester

I actually use my 'power lamps' (thats what they're called; not really fog lamps) when I am on the Highways, in heavy rains etc. While they may not really illuminate the path they serve as a brilliant way of illuminating your car on the road i.e. making it more visible.

You will notice that cars with lights on are more visible than cars without lights on even in broad daylight.
Exactly, these lamps are meant only to get your car noticed in adverse driving conditions and are not for illuminating the pathway.

I would recommend the XUV owners to read the car manuals in a little detail. Quite a few doubts / niggles will get clarified.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 17:08   #2909
BHPian
 
crazyjeeperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cuddalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Posting on behalf of nitin, Here's the pic of his XUV with awesome alloys

Attachment 962193

Cheers,
Sameer
Good looking alloys man. congrats!

Now i have few questions

1- Is this a negative offset alloy because i see a fair amount of tire outside the wheel arcs ? pardon me if i was wrong

2- Does this affect the warranty given by mahindra?

3- Do please share with us the realistic mileage u get out of this machine.

Last edited by crazyjeeperk : 27th July 2012 at 17:13.
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 19:15   #2910
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 539 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Good looking alloys man. congrats!

Now i have few questions

1- Is this a negative offset alloy because i see a fair amount of tire outside the wheel arcs ? pardon me if i was wrong

2- Does this affect the warranty given by mahindra?

3- Do please share with us the realistic mileage u get out of this machine.
Thanks bro.

1. Yes, these are negative offset alloys hence the pop put. So you were bang on
2. No it doesn't (atleast in my case). Since the size of alloys and tires remain the same hence i dont see any issue in it.
3. 13 +- in city. 16 +- on highway (100% AC)
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks