Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th September 2012, 03:33   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Dont know if this has been reported before. Today i noticed that if your lights are on auto mode, then you cant switch on high beam. Strange. Or is it a fault in my xuv?? I tried few times to check. Only when i switch back to manual mode, then only i could put highbeam. Please check if this is the case with every xuv so that i know its a dumb feature and not a niggle
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 04:50   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli
Dont know if this has been reported before. Today i noticed that if your lights are on auto mode, then you cant switch on high beam. Strange. Or is it a fault in my xuv?? I tried few times to check. Only when i switch back to manual mode, then only i could put highbeam. Please check if this is the case with every xuv so that i know its a dumb feature and not a niggle
It's a feature. I guess the logic is that if we are manually intervening then we should switch off the auto function. I think same goes for auto wipers (need to confirm)
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 08:14   #3273
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Same here with my car, as Rohit mentioned, its a feature it seems. You can still use the high beam to flash but cannot keep it in ON positioin. To me, it seems to be a half backed solution, the automatic lights also provide automatic high beam based on certain conditions. May not be so useful to discuss here, but the answer is yes, I have the same experience.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 11:30   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Same here with my car, as Rohit mentioned, its a feature it seems. You can still use the high beam to flash but cannot keep it in ON positioin. To me, it seems to be a half backed solution, the automatic lights also provide automatic high beam based on certain conditions. May not be so useful to discuss here, but the answer is yes, I have the same experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
It's a feature. I guess the logic is that if we are manually intervening then we should switch off the auto function. I think same goes for auto wipers (need to confirm)
Thanks folks for clarifying on this. I usually do not put on high beams and when I did yesterday it was not coming on. I pulled the stalk in all directions ( it didn't break!) in my attempt and was planning to add it to my niggles list to be taken care of in the next service.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 11:42   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
[quote=Ketan;2896583You can still use the high beam to flash but cannot keep it in ON positioin. To me, [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I pulled the stalk in all directions ( it didn't break!) in my attempt and was planning to add it to my niggles list to be taken care of in the next service.

-- Wind
Yes Guys - It is a feature. High beam is usually blinding to oncoming traffic and this is the reason the "auto" mode does not activate high beam.

The "Flash" works as it is a common practice in india to flash the high beam as a signal of overtaking in lieu of Honking.

IMHO - not a niggle
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 13:40   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Mannubhai, please update me on the LED light, as in did you had to pay for it or you got it replaced free of cost as i have heard few of the members where able to do so. Mine too conked off few days back hence waiting for 3rd service (which is due this month).
Also, didnt you change to new brake pads that were released sometime back? I have heard that there is a 3rd generation pads now available. Let me know if the pads you got are the 2nd or 3rd generation ones. Mine is on the 2nd one, and they are more irritating than the original ones
=============
I'm expecting delivery today eve. There is a delay. Will update you on the LED's.

The brake was not an issue in my xuv. The grinding noise started coming recently. Will ask for a 3rd gen pads , now that I know

Quote:
==========
As mentioned by others, I dont think its a dumb feature per-say.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:24   #3277
BHPian

Since Mannubhai spoke about dumb feature, I just wanted to check with you guys on start&Stop.
How many of you are using it on regular basis?
I have not used it more than a very few times so far. Do you think it would have been a great idea to be able to set the timeout which is 2 sec / hardcoded now?
It can be different depending on the traffic/roads you drive. However, 2 sec is just not useful in any situation.

Based on M&M claims, I'm assuming the starter motor and battery are capable enough to withstand this feature. However, I usually don't switch the engine off unless its going to be in OFF position for more than 10 seconds or so, else it really doesn't help saving fuel (IMO).
We can provide some feedback and see if they can get us another ecu-flash or any other way to be able to set this by ASC or something!
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:34   #3278
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Some useless features that I do NOT use:
1. Start-Stop
2. Rain-sensing wipers
3. Auto-headlights
4. Voice-assist

Some useful features that I love:
1. Cornering lamps
2. Auto-fold mirrors when you lock the car
3. Navigation system
4. Bluetooth integration
5. Puddle lights
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 23:49   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Some useless features that I do NOT use:
1. Start-Stop
2. Rain-sensing wipers
3. Auto-headlights
Strange. I thought they were pretty useful features. At least as and when I lay my hands on my friend's XUV I feel if some were present in my Innova too, but to the point of regret though

Atleast the best I liked is, Start-Stop, as the engine springs to life as soon as gear is engaged, found pretty useful at signals, where I have to switch off my Innova. Should be helping a bit of FE.

The other two are not great but I think pretty useful too at times, especially while entering tunnels on EWay or on dark days/times, the headlights turning on automatically.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 07:01   #3280
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Strange. I thought they were pretty useful features. ...

Atleast the best I liked is, Start-Stop, as the engine springs to life as soon as gear is engaged, found pretty useful at signals, where I have to switch off my Innova. Should be helping a bit of FE.
Let me explain.
I guess, it has to do with how its implemented and my own driving habits. In my case, while stopping at a signal, I am always in first gear with the clutch depressed. Now, for the start-stop to function, I specifically need to switch to Neutral and take my foot off the clutch. So basically I have to do 2 "manual" actions BEFORE initiating the triggering of automatic engine shutdown. If it needs conscious decision on my part and some effort to trigger it, is it really 'automatic'? I would rather switch off/on the engine by the key.

Quote:
The other two are not great but I think pretty useful too at times, especially while entering tunnels on EWay or on dark days/times, the headlights turning on automatically.
With Auto-wipers I have not been able to find a perfect setting, where they wipe just perfectly - not too fast, not too slow. It is clearly a problem with my expectation. Even in manual mode, I continuously fine-tune the wiper speed.

With auto-headlights, again its got to do with my driving style. I am a defensive driver and tend to switch on my headlights much before other cars on the road. While entering a tunnel, I switch on my lights before the tunnel. With these habits, I find the auto-headlights operating too late.

I have no complaints though. Just that I don't use these features.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 11:56   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain.
.... In my case, while stopping at a signal, I am always in first gear with the clutch depressed. ...
I had this habit long time back. But after reading in this forum that when you keep the clutch depressed for a long time it would lead to premature wear and tear of the release bearing, I now shift to neutral with the hand breaks on whenever I am waiting at a signal.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 15:11   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain.
I guess, it has to do with how its implemented and my own driving habits. In my case, while stopping at a signal, I am always in first gear with the clutch depressed. Now, for the start-stop to function, I specifically need to switch to Neutral and take my foot off the clutch. So basically I have to do 2 "manual" actions BEFORE initiating the triggering of automatic engine shutdown. If it needs conscious decision on my part and some effort to trigger it, is it really 'automatic'? I would rather switch off/on the engine by the key.

With Auto-wipers I have not been able to find a perfect setting, where they wipe just perfectly - not too fast, not too slow. It is clearly a problem with my expectation. Even in manual mode, I continuously fine-tune the wiper speed.

With auto-headlights, again its got to do with my driving style. I am a defensive driver and tend to switch on my headlights much before other cars on the road. While entering a tunnel, I switch on my lights before the tunnel. With these habits, I find the auto-headlights operating too late.

I have no complaints though. Just that I don't use these features.
Thanks, I just loved your frank feedback.

I will suggest you start using the Start-Stop function atleast, I feel it is pretty useful and works without flaw. I can say this because, I have to manually switch off/on engine at signals and I feel there was easier way for that. By not having/using this feature, one has to
1. keep the car in gear with clutch depressed - this will start putting strain on leg, calf and thigh muscles, especially so because I feel the XUV clutch is on harder side
2. keep the car in neutral with clutch released
But then in either of the two above the engine will still be running and the objective of saving fuel and better FE would be hampered
3. keep the car switched off manually and crank it up right in time to make way in traffic or bear the brunt of vehicles behind

I think slotting into neutral and releasing clutch is quite easy to adopt and useful than cranking engine on time.

Just some thoughts if they prove useful. Seriously, there are some good things in XUV and hope they prove useful to owners. Just hope they don't fail right on time when needed.

Last edited by parsh : 9th September 2012 at 15:13.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 17:27   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Can someone give me more information about the roof rails on XUV? I'm thinking about adding a roofbox and what I learnt from the guy at Thule is this vehicle has got 'six point roof rails' also, it has got bolts insted of the nuts (usual thing) and they are still getting the right equipment to fix the roofbox on this type of vehicles which may take 2-4 weeks.
I'm also checking with TropicoolIndia to see if I can get one by Inno (Jap brand name), again they are clueless on whether their universal mount system will work on this or not.

I may either go with a lowdown profile that is more convenient for highspeed or an air cruiser type that has got lesser height to ensure it doesnt affect the vehicle stability on high speed runs. If you have a prior experience of driving high speed with one such roofbox, plesae share. I also read about some air fairer accessories that is used to direct the wind resistance and noise at high speed if you have a carrier fixed, no idea if thats the same case for roofboxes as well (though they seem to haev aerodynamic shape but there will be some space between the roofbox and the roof).

I may have tried and avoided this, it seems I may need to seat 7 folks in the car on my next long trip and hence thinking about it.
Thank you.
Hi Ketan, I am in a similar boat. Would greatly appreciate it if you can update the thread with what you find about the mounting options and brands like Thule that have cross bars suited for the XUV.
iride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 18:46   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain.

Just that I don't use these features.
Starts-stop is a great feature as far as I understand. I always make it a point to shift to neutral and engage the hand brakes. Mainly to free the load on my legs atleast for some time while I am waiting. Switching off /on would take some time compared to start/stop feature.

The auto light and wipers may not react as fast as we expect and hence not useful always. I felt it is mainly a show off feature...

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 01:41   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I just loved your frank feedback.

I will suggest you start using the Start-Stop function atleast, I feel it is pretty useful and works without flaw. I can say this because, I have to manually switch off/on engine at signals
But wont it mean the AC gets switched off?

Even on my test drive, when the chap was explaining how the start stop worked - we were halted at a signal and with the engine off, I started sweating - and had to restart the engine manually to get the AC blowing again.

Having an AC and not availing of it doesnt make much sense - life is hot enough when AC is not available when walking or cycling
Venkytalks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote