Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 19:17   #3301
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,143
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Also , I missed answering your qs on LED. The LED is being replace FOC. The entire headlight unit has to be changed as they dont get LEDs seperately.
Did you had to ask for FOC replacement or they straight away told you its free?
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 19:17   #3302
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Planning to install the reverse camera from Mahindra when the car is in bangalore. What is the price for this.

Also how to know the version of the IS software?

I remember reading about both is this thread, but cant seem to locate it now.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:00   #3303
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,572
Thanked: 6,988 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Planning to install the reverse camera from Mahindra when the car is in bangalore. What is the price for this.
...
Around 3500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
...
Also how to know the version of the IS software?

I remember reading about both is this thread, but cant seem to locate it now.

FundaG
That info is there on the niggles thread. Here it is for quick reference:

On W8,
Mute and >>Seek pressed together gives you the firmware version details.
TA and List pressed together gives you the MapMyIndia maps version.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:21   #3304
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,478
Thanked: 904 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I'm switching off the engine manually at traffic signals and traffic jam situations. Have you guys observed this function activating too often to get some real benefit since the timeout is just 2sec? I somewhere read that the engine goes to hibernation etc, but technically, I guess there is no difference when you switch the engine off manually or its turned off by means of start&Stop function.
Technically, yes, there is not much difference. However, what it does is eases the process by taking care of that small process inherently. I feel it works charmingly in tight signals and eager traffic reducing time required to crank up engine by turning key, as I tried to list down possibilities in my earlier post. Its a useful feature not necessarily a replacement option.

For that matter, I also think what if like other electronic features, this came to fail, the starter motor fails? But so far found it working perfectly. Owing to this, the more people use it, the more this feature and its electronic setup will be tested for its trustworthiness.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:45   #3305
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Technically, yes, there is not much difference. However, what it does is eases the process by taking care of that small process inherently. I feel it works charmingly in tight signals and eager traffic reducing time required to crank up engine by turning key, as I tried to list down possibilities in my earlier post. Its a useful feature not necessarily a replacement option.

For that matter, I also think what if like other electronic features, this came to fail, the starter motor fails? But so far found it working perfectly. Owing to this, the more people use it, the more this feature and its electronic setup will be tested for its trustworthiness.
True, a real good feature, if designed a bit sensibly, IMO.

So let me ask you this while you are using it on regular basis. How many times the car starts back within less than 10-15 seconds time after the start&stop is activated? and how many times it starts within 20 seconds or more than that during your overall usage. This should tell us the kind of traffic and usage pattern.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:50   #3306
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Did you had to ask for FOC replacement or they straight away told you its free?
I did not ask. I was told . Assumed that was the way it was

Either way I was not willing to pay after reading so many of them writing here of failed LEDs.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 20:55   #3307
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,478
Thanked: 904 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
True, a real good feature, if designed a bit sensibly, IMO.

So let me ask you this while you are using it on regular basis. How many times the car starts back within less than 10-15 seconds time after the start&stop is activated? and how many times it starts within 20 seconds or more than that during your overall usage. This should tell us the kind of traffic and usage pattern.
Ah, that would require lot of logging data especially when I am not driving it regularly, it belongs to a close friend who drives it and we monitor it on various aspects as such. Without being able to give counts as of now, I can safely say with the kind of traffic it has to tread through in Mumbai daily, there are uncountable times when this feature is in play as soon as it stops/departs at/from signal, the typical signal times being about 1 minute. The feature is put on since Day 1 and never stopped to be used. There is hardly any significant lag when the feature comes in play.
parsh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 23:09   #3308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Planning on taking a test drive tomorrow of the XUV at Bangalore. I know folks here have bought from both Sireesh and India Garage. Which one is better in terms of sales and service post sales?
Also what are the current wait times that are being quoted? I have heard that it's anywhere from 1 to 3 months.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 08:32   #3309
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli
Dont know if this has been reported before. Today i noticed that if your lights are on auto mode, then you cant switch on high beam. Strange. Or is it a fault in my xuv?? I tried few times to check. Only when i switch back to manual mode, then only i could put highbeam. Please check if this is the case with every xuv so that i know its a dumb feature and not a niggle
Yes high beam cannot be turned on in auto mode. Auto mode is originally known as tunnel lighting - turns on automatically as one enters a tunnel in daytime and operates low beam. For night, the manual switch need to be operated to get high beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai
Quoting from my earlier post on my XUV sent for service . Here is the update

The following are things, I have asked him to check and rectify :

1) RHS Indicators malfunctioning . Works at times, doesnt work at times : Rectified. The unit has been changed and is working fine as of now.
India follows European regulations for headlamp low beam pattern called European assymetric beam, the other pattern being American assymetric beam. In the European beam, there is 15 degree slanted light-dark cut-off on the left side. This is to ensure that the left side is illuminated more than the right side. If the dark cut-off is too close to the car, then headlamp aiming needs to be done as per the aiming chart. The dark cut off is achieved by the design of the headlamp bulb which has a shield/cover below the low beam filament as well as 15 degree tilt when the bulb is mounted on the Headlamps.
American beam does not have the sharp dark-light cutoff but has a graded cutoff.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th September 2012 at 11:56. Reason: back to back posts
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 09:00   #3310
BHPian
 
debuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 406
Thanked: 1,295 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

It’s been almost one year since I decided to replace my Swift VDi with a SUV. I have been more than happy with my Swift (check out my blog http://dmandhismarutisuzukiswiftvdi.blogspot.com/), but I like to change my cars every 4-5 years and this time my heart and mind were both set on a SUV, especially considering the terrible state of roads in Jharkhand.

Over that last year, I did extensive homework on almost all Indian SUV’s ranging from the Scorpio (~10 lakhs) to the Fortuner (~23 lakhs). Finally, I short-listed 3 new SUV’s that seemed to meet all my expectations : the Mahindra XUV500, the Ford Ecosport and the Renault Duster.

I ran out of patience waiting for the launch of Ecosport in India. But I’m sure it will be a hit and its advanced petrol engine will make Indian customers rethink their diesel preference. Renault doesn’t have a single dealer, leave alone a Service Station, in whole of Bihar / Jharkhand and gambling blind-folded on Renault service and spares appeared foolhardy. That left the XUV500, which actually excited me the most out of these 3, but it wasn’t launched in the small town where I live till recently. Just as well, because even if I were living in Bombay, I wouldn’t have liked to buy an untested and unproven new design from an Indian car manufacturer in a hurry anyway.

So I waited and gave M&M a year to sort out most of the major niggles of the XUV500. Finally, on 20 Aug 2012, I booked my XUV500 (W6 variant) at Jamshedpur after a very satisfactory test drive. Though I would be paying more than a lakh extra as compared to the initial lot of buyers after last year’s launch, I believe I shall get a more niggle-free product (yes, I AM taking a calculated risk on this issue).

Why W6? Primarily because W6 offers me everything (and then some!) that I consider important and the additional features I get in the W8 are either not important for me or not worth additional 1.5 lakhs. Furthermore, high-tech electronics seems to be a bit of grey area for M&M and by not going for the W8 I’m eliminating several sensors and gizmos.

I must place on record the fact that forums like Team-BHP provided valuable inputs to me which helped me with my decision-making process.

I now have a specific query for fellow Team-BHPians who booked their XUV after May 2012 : did you guys receive any communication directly from M&M regarding the delivery status of your car? I ask this because I heard that customers who booked at the time of launch in Oct 2011 and the subsequent ‘lottery scheme’ in early 2012 could actually check their delivery status online at the M&M website.

Interestingly, when I booked my XUV in Sep 2012 I was told by the salesperson that within a week of booking I would receive email from M&M informing me of my likely date of delivery. I’m yet to receive any such communication and now the dealer tells me that M&M has stopped giving such information to customers directly. What is the situation in other parts of India?

Last edited by debuda : 15th September 2012 at 09:06.
debuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 09:37   #3311
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,572
Thanked: 6,988 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
...
I now have a specific query for fellow Team-BHPians who booked their XUV after May 2012 : did you guys receive any communication directly from M&M regarding the delivery status of your car? I ask this because I heard that customers who booked at the time of launch in Oct 2011 and the subsequent ‘lottery scheme’ in early 2012 could actually check their delivery status online at the M&M website.

Interestingly, when I booked my XUV in Sep 2012 I was told by the salesperson that within a week of booking I would receive email from M&M informing me of my likely date of delivery. I’m yet to receive any such communication and now the dealer tells me that M&M has stopped giving such information to customers directly. What is the situation in other parts of India?
Congrats on the booking! Mahindras are no longer managing the end-bookings at corporate level. Every dealer gets a quota based on volume and forecast. The dealer has a free-hand (to a large extent) in terms of whom to allot from his quota. So please be behind the dealer to get a delivery date. If the dealer does not cooperate, do not shy away from taking the matter to M&M customer care.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 09:43   #3312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda
It’s been almost one year since I decided to replace my Swift VDi with a SUV.

I now have a specific query for fellow Team-BHPians who booked their XUV after May 2012 : did you guys receive any communication directly from M&M regarding the delivery status of your car? I ask this because I heard that customers who booked at the time of launch in Oct 2011 and the subsequent ‘lottery scheme’ in early 2012 could actually check their delivery status online at the M&M website.

Interestingly, when I booked my XUV in Sep 2012 I was told by the salesperson that within a week of booking I would receive email from M&M informing me of my likely date of delivery. I’m yet to receive any such communication and now the dealer tells me that M&M has stopped giving such information to customers directly. What is the situation in other parts of India?
Congratulations debuda! You have made a good choice. I had the exact same information from the sales guy and asked the question a couple of months ago when I booked my xuv. Apparently mahindra is no longer sending emails and the communication is now being channeled through the dealers. Based on the tentative date provided by the dealer you can check with the xuv team lead at the dealership sometime midway of your planned date. They will be able to provide you the updated date of delivery. You can check my previous posts.
I wonder why the sales folks are not providing this updated info.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 11:48   #3313
BHPian
 
suchit23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 149
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore
Planning on taking a test drive tomorrow of the XUV at Bangalore. I know folks here have bought from both Sireesh and India Garage. Which one is better in terms of sales and service post sales?
Also what are the current wait times that are being quoted? I have heard that it's anywhere from 1 to 3 months.
Not sure if I am too late to help you but will say this for other prospects. As far as sales is concerned (I have no experience of service) Sireesh auto is better. Especially their main showroom in Hosur road near Silk Board. I recommend SA Yuvraj. He is very frank and transparent. He won't make false promises and will give you realistic delivery estimates. When I had asked him 2-3 weeks back (That was when I was beginning to lose patience with Duster) he had said he can get me one by Jan 13 Max. He can be contacted at +91 97-40-015684.
suchit23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 18:27   #3314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I now have a specific query for fellow Team-BHPians who booked their XUV after May 2012 : did you guys receive any communication directly from M&M regarding the delivery status of your car? I ask this because I heard that customers who booked at the time of launch in Oct 2011 and the subsequent ‘lottery scheme’ in early 2012 could actually check their delivery status online at the M&M website.

Interestingly, when I booked my XUV in Sep 2012 I was told by the salesperson that within a week of booking I would receive email from M&M informing me of my likely date of delivery. I’m yet to receive any such communication and now the dealer tells me that M&M has stopped giving such information to customers directly. What is the situation in other parts of India?
I booked on June 18th. M&M never contacted me. I sent them an email 2-3 weeks after booking. M&M replied immediatly with the contact details of Bangalore sales in-charge. He replied and gave me an estimate of 22 weeks which was the original estimate mentioned in the booking form. But I kept talking to SA from the dealer. He was optimistic that I should get the car in 3 months. And he was right. I am taking the delivery in a weeks time In Bangalore. In essence I booked on June 18th. Got a call from the dealer about the allotment on 5th September. So I would suggest go by the dealer's words. Taking SA into confidence. Establish a nice relationship with him. And he would give more accurate estimate, though off the record.
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 19:18   #3315
BHPian
 
Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I'm switching off the engine manually at traffic signals and traffic jam situations. Have you guys observed this function activating too often to get some real benefit since the timeout is just 2sec? I somewhere read that the engine goes to hibernation etc, but technically, I guess there is no difference when you switch the engine off manually or its turned off by means of start&Stop function.
I have never used the start-stop option. So would not be able to comment on its benefits.

-- Wind
Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 113 20th December 2016 16:13
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks