Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2013, 02:12   #4006
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I got an opportunity to drive my XUV after about 4 months and as one would expect took it for a hard ride for about 600kms over three days. I know not much, but of all things I missed during my absence from home I missed car the most.

Over with the mushiness, some observations/information which I wanted to share, firstly I understand M&M has come out with a new design of rubber bushes for the stab bar. Got them replaced, all noises from the suspension system vanished.
Secondly, got the opportunity to drive hard and maintained speeds well in excess of 120kmph for longish stretches, at a place I had to take a sharp turn to right, found the braking distance going quite out of control. Carried out the check once again, found that braking distance increase is linear till speeds of 110 kmph but beyond that linearity is not being maintained. There is a much greater increase in braking distance, especially when one crosses 120. (I drive with new modified brake pads) So would recommend one remains conscious of this fact.

Last edited by PGA : 9th February 2013 at 02:14. Reason: corrections
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 07:42   #4007
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,559
Thanked: 6,965 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
... firstly I understand M&M has come out with a new design of rubber bushes for the stab bar. Got them replaced, all noises from the suspension system vanished.
...
PGA, did your RM told you about the redesigned stabilizer bar bushes? Since when is the redesigned part available?

Especially curious because the same bushes have been replaced thrice in my XUV and I still don't see any difference in terms of suspension noise.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 09:33   #4008
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 273 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
Thanks HeavyHorse for that journey update...

Having done more than 15k in one year of ownership I simply couldn't resist giving my ratings on a scale of 1 to 10. Added a few more points which I thought were missing.
Hi Emvee, thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping that after 15K kms, I am able to provide similar ratings to yours. Let's keep our fingers crossed !

wrt to your comments regarding XUV vs Duster, it's interesting to note that while XUV sales are more or less constant around 3.5K, Duster after touching highs of around 5.5K in Nov 2012, sold less than 3.5K in January 2013. Don't know if they had supply issues, but it would be interesting to monitor the sales offtake over the next few months.
Heavy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 10:01   #4009
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PGA, did your RM told you about the redesigned stabilizer bar bushes? Since when is the redesigned part available?

Especially curious because the same bushes have been replaced thrice in my XUV and I still don't see any difference in terms of suspension noise.
No it was not my RM but workshop supervisor of another M&M workshop I took my car to. (I don't stay at the place where I purchased the car from) I compared the old bushes which came out of the car and the new ones. Old ones had not degraded or worn out anyway. New ones seemed a little harder and had a raised collars which were not there in the old ones. Maybe I should have taken a photo to differentiate the two but never struck me at that point in time. The story is one week old and place is Ludhiana, you may like to check up with your RM.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 10:22   #4010
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,559
Thanked: 6,965 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
In the first place there would hardly be anybody confused between these two as they are as different as chalk and cheese. Belong to different segments altogether. A side by side look in person will make that absolutely clear.

Both the vehicles are great in their own right but comparing them is simply of no consequence.

My two cents....

Ar. Naved

Naved, very few people have "very specific" requirements in mind while they are shopping for a car. Many a times, the only "requirement" is "my budget is 10-15L OTR" or its equivalent. So right from a Diesel Highline Vento, a diesel Verna, a Corolla, a Civic, a Laura to a Duster, a XUV, a Innova, a Storme all get compared in the same breath. Although the comparison is unfair, it does happen.

In the case of XUV v/s Duster, at least both are monocoque SUVs, one size different, a little bit of price difference and both positioned in the gap between the Scorp/Safari at one end and Fortuner/Pajero/CRV etc on the other end. So a comparison is inevitable.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 15:19   #4011
BHPian
 
abhinavinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 72
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
No it was not my RM but workshop supervisor of another M&M workshop I took my car to. (I don't stay at the place where I purchased the car from) I compared the old bushes which came out of the car and the new ones. Old ones had not degraded or worn out anyway. New ones seemed a little harder and had a raised collars which were not there in the old ones. Maybe I should have taken a photo to differentiate the two but never struck me at that point in time. The story is one week old and place is Ludhiana, you may like to check up with your RM.
Sir I am also having some suspension sound issue for the front suspension. Can you tell if you went to modern motors or dada motors because my XUV is due for second service in a week and I will add bushes replacement in my already long to-do checklist.
Also is there lane changing functionality in the XUV? I have tried many times but to no avail.
abhinavinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 23:37   #4012
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys,

I remember reading last time on autocarindia that a new version of XUV is yet to be released with improved infotainment, seating, gearshifts. Can any one shed some light on this one. ??

I remember reading that the update is scheduled to be released in march.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 13:21   #4013
BHPian
 
vinit_relan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 4 Times
Angry Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The customer connect of M&M is phenominal and specially at the top management level.



I had a similar experience with my Bridgestones which were replaced by M&M & the A.S.S. sharing equal responsibility for causing damage to the tyres on account of incorrect balancing. In my case Bridgestone refused to accept liability and their report was damning and critical of the way the rotation and balancing was handled.



Well there is a certain image and perceptions (speaking for myself) associated with a Tata vehicle which for me is enough to have a Storme or any other Tata vehicle out of considration.

I have personally witnessed and borne the high headedness of Tata dealers when the Indica was on its peak and have had enogh close references of shoddy sales and after sales experiences. This prompted me to even keep the Fiat out of considration few years back, since the service was with Tata.
I agree...I went to tata showroom on 9th Feb to have a look at Storme. Though it does not look as beautiful as previous safari but it still lacks...the features inside. The Tata guys are still high headed and they think they do not need features to sell their car. They said its a SUV and features are not given in SUV...I was surprised when he commented that features are only for Sedans so vehicles like XUV should not be compared to Storme. I think Tata Storme guys feel that we all stay on Himalayas wherein we keep doing offroading. First the product is not great and feature laden (The Aria has flopped badly and I am sure Storme will flop soon as well if they do not come with features at the price what public expects) and secondly their high headedness.
vinit_relan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 13:51   #4014
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Also is there lane changing functionality in the XUV? I have tried many times but to no avail.
From the owner's manual
"To signal a lane change, just raise or lower the lever until the indicator starts to flash. Hold it there until you complete your lane change."

I haven't tried this yet. Will confirm by evening today.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:47   #4015
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,559
Thanked: 6,965 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
..Also is there lane changing functionality in the XUV? I have tried many times but to no avail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
From the owner's manual
"To signal a lane change, just raise or lower the lever until the indicator starts to flash. Hold it there until you complete your lane change."

I haven't tried this yet. Will confirm by evening today.
Just hold down the lever for the time you need the indicator to be on. Not the best implementation. In my sister's Figo, a ligit tap on the turn-indicator lever gives around 3 flashes and is perfect for a quick lane change.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:48   #4016
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
I agree...I went to tata showroom on 9th Feb to have a look at Storme. Though it does not look as beautiful as previous safari but it still lacks...the features inside. The Tata guys are still high headed and they think they do not need features to sell their car. They said its a SUV and features are not given in SUV...I was surprised when he commented that features are only for Sedans so vehicles like XUV should not be compared to Storme. I think Tata Storme guys feel that we all stay on Himalayas wherein we keep doing offroading. First the product is not great and feature laden (The Aria has flopped badly and I am sure Storme will flop soon as well if they do not come with features at the price what public expects) and secondly their high headedness.
Its been 12 years since my first visit to a Tata showroom, I had another one couple of years back to look at the Linea, the product was awsome at the price point but Fiat's choice of the partner was not. The apathy at the Tata dealership was plainly visible. I guess the company is used to serving the commercial customers who have a limited choice.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 15:57   #4017
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
From the owner's manual
"To signal a lane change, just raise or lower the lever until the indicator starts to flash. Hold it there until you complete your lane change."

I haven't tried this yet. Will confirm by evening today.
That is right, in XUV you need to "hold" the indicator as long as you want to indicate the lane change (that is the lights to flash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Just hold down the lever for the time you need the indicator to be on. Not the best implementation. In my sister's Figo, a ligit tap on the turn-indicator lever gives around 3 flashes and is perfect for a quick lane change.
My i20 of this age does the same 3 flashes with just a tap of the indicator. Neither am I required to keep the indicator on hold nor am I needed to slot it to the side I am going.

However, my Verna does not have this functionality, it works the way XUV does. I need to hold the indicator as long as I want the lights to flash in the direction I am changing the lane. To that extent, either my right hand is engaged in keeping it pressed or if it is slight turn, keep it pressed while I steer. Or, I have to slot it towards the side I am turning.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 17:38   #4018
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,189 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
That is right, in XUV you need to "hold" the indicator as long as you want to indicate the lane change (that is the lights to flash)
lol. That's not really a lane change indicator. What's the point if you have to hold the lever for that many seconds. Wouldn't you rather just flick it on once then off after the move.

The ideal lane change is half press and it will blink 3-4 times.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 18:46   #4019
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
lol. That's not really a lane change indicator. What's the point if you have to hold the lever for that many seconds. Wouldn't you rather just flick it on once then off after the move.

The ideal lane change is half press and it will blink 3-4 times.
That is the whole point. We are also saying that is not the lane change signal. That is what comes with XUV and other olden day vehicles and only modern cars come with this lane change signal. Though XUV being one of the modern vehicles, does not come with lane change
krishnaraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 20:58   #4020
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 371
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hi guys,

I remember reading last time on autocarindia that a new version of XUV is yet to be released with improved infotainment, seating, gearshifts. Can any one shed some light on this one. ??

I remember reading that the update is scheduled to be released in march.
Got info from pune dealer today that all 2013 models are already updated with all niggle problems including breaks / info system and what not.

So all the 2013 models are without any problems ( and justifiable for price increase of 20k )

Can any owner in 2013 comment?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 113 20th December 2016 16:13
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks