Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:41   #4291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 132
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I find the 999.9 KM limitation on my trip meters very annoying as I use my XUV mainly for long drives. Was the extra digit added through a software update? I must speak to my RM to confirm whether this can be done in my W6.
Debuda, I have absolutely no clue. I only noticed it weeks after the car was back from the service station.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd April 2013 at 18:33. Reason: quote tags fixed :)
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:37   #4292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 26 Times
Post Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Instead of posting this in this thread, I had accidentally posted in the Niggles thread. Anyway, reposting it here with updates in the last few days and request mods to remove it from Niggles thread as the content is not niggle related, but my experience with the vehicle

I got my W8 delivered on Apr 5, the March manufactured XUV (VIN said it all) and have driven it 1180 kms since then. First long drive is the mandatory visit to Tirupathi and lucky me, had darshan in 1 hour on Sunday!

Few observations:
  1. The turn indicator angle of move for left and right from mid-point is different. For the left turn, a 10 degree turn will slot it, for the right turn, it takes 15 or 20 degrees to slot in. Not only this, my left indicator gets cancelled as expected after the turn is complete, but my right indicator keeps flashing and does not cancel when the steering comes back to straight - manual cancel is required. Will take to service at my next free time
  2. The XUV badge at the trunk on lower right hand side, one of the sticks of X came off broken. No one hit the car; neither did I hit anything, it just like that came off. Good that it did not fall off, so a Rs.5 fevikwik did the trick to keep it in place
  3. As soon as I start the engine in the morning, cold start, I follow the mandatory 30-seconds idle before I roll the car out of garage. But, during the initial 5 kms travel, I somehow hear an additional noise in the engine while accelerating in gear only. When I idle and accelerate, that extra noise does not come. I donít know how to explain what sound it is - probably a "grrrr" sound. It is not belt for sure because after 5 or 8 kms, the extra noise goes off. The same happens when I take the car in the evening back home. Not sure what this is or if I am the only one to hear this
  4. The cruise control is amazing. Engages on demand and behaves as I expect it to. However, what I felt is, when I run any higher than 100 on CC, I feel I am not in control of the speed, someone else is controlling it. This gives me an uncomfortable feeling and I put off cruise. The same speed if I hit with my right foot on the accelerator, or even higher speed, I feel I "am" in control and go that speed without hesitation or the uncomfortable feeling. I think this is more to do with my feeling than to do with the CC. But, overall the CC rocks...
  5. The Auto AC, information give by
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
    I see two things happening in the A/C blower without any user intervention.
    , I have the following theory after doing the test myself. When you turn on engine and engage Auto AC, the only way to cancel the auto mode is to turn the fan speed dial. Even if the Auto lamp is off when you press the AC button twice, the Auto is still engaged. The auto gets disengaged ONLY if you turn the fan speed dial. Any other button press, even if the Auto lamp goes off, does not really turn off the Auto. I verified this with the Dealer who told me I was right

What I donít like:
  1. When I half press turn indicator, either to left or to right, the indicator flashes as long as I hold the stalk there and off when I release the hand - this is fine. But, what is not fine is, my Rs.7 lakh i20 flashes 3 times when I half-press and release on either side to indicate lane change. My Rs.16 lakh car does not have this!
  2. There is a quarter or half second delay before the glass rolls down or up after I press the button. It should be ideal enough to start spontaneously. Probably this delay is given to avoid accidental press vs actual need to roll down or up. But, ideally I would probably realize the press only after the glass starts to roll. So this does not seem to be the reason for the quarter or half second delay - then what, I donít know!
  3. Not sure how many of you have tried it, I tried bringing down the spare wheel just to understand how it works and the wheel rested partially on the exhaust pipe and this resulted in one side of wheel hitting the ground, the other hanging on the pipe. I had to take it up a bit, pull the wheel towards me, then roll it down to avoid hitting the exhaust pipe. My car was NOT on an incline
  4. The head lamp throw, I am not comfortable and I do see the right side lamp is throwing less than the left side. I have read the thread and know why that is provided, will get the service folks adjust to my taste. The lamp, I have still not decided if I will change the bulb, but have not ruled that out. Suggestions from fellow BHPians will help
  5. The steering wheel, rake adjust is insufficient. The angle in which it is kept now, with the rake angle, suggests me that people expect you to adjust the seat and come closer to the steering wheel instead of the steering wheel coming closer to you (rake, not reach). A 6-footer with long legs that I am, I feel constrained with this. With the reach adjusted fully out, the rake is forcing me to come forward and I have leg pain after going a long distance - say 50 or 60kms. I have constantly adjusted the steering and the seat during the entire journey to Tirupathi that my father and wife have asked me if I was uncomfortable with the vehicle
  6. The auto-wipe feature of the car, I guess people who have purchased the car would use it as less as possible. I would not use it at all, because the wipe first thing when I turn the ignition, will actually create scratch in the windshield if it were to accumulate dirt during the overnight parking or during the day when I park in heavily traffic prone area. I dont want to get my windshield scratched!
  7. The size of the rear-view mirror inside the cabin is insufficient. It does not clearly show what is happening behind the car, it does show some portion though
  8. I understood the left foot hitting the steering problem reported by lots of people yesterday and yes I too dont like that

What I intend doing:
  1. During the trip, my parents came along for one direction in XUV and they felt the height a deterrent from getting in once again. So, the side step is a must for them as others have pointed. For my wife, kids and me, it is fine without it. Anyway, will get it fixed as they would also travel often times
  2. Rear bumper guard to be fixed. I am still thinking if I should or not. The "not" is because I will hit the rear wall each time I park the car in the garage as there is just space for the bumper and nothing more. Other than this, I want to protect the bumper from getting hit from the rear. That is only because, I feel the guys behind me, due to vehicle height, may not see the traffic ahead of me and he is blinded to that extent. So, there is always a lag between he seeing my tail lamp, reacting to it by applying breaks. He is sure to hit me if he is tailing me and we go at 80+ and break
  3. Front bumpers, I am not for it but I am being convinced by the accessories folks. Why I am not for it is because I have read it will hinder in the air bag operations. The accessories guys asked me if I know of any incident in India where the air bag had deployed. To be frank, I am not aware of it, so I am being convinced by this guy to install the front bumper as well. I have moved for 100% no to 50% yes. Since I am unable to decide either way now, I seek help from fellow BHPians on this


Other than the above, I love... love... and love the vehicle. On the way back from Tirupathi, we started by 10pm back to Chennai and I took two pillows, two bed spreads, folded the 2nd and 3rd row seats to flat, put the bed spreads, got my two kids sleep on it for the 3 hour journey back home. The kids loved it, my wife also like it. In my Verna, the two would fight for proper place in the rear seat to lie down and come. At times my younger one would fall down during breaking and cry. The next day, the two would be tired and not go to the morning cricket practice. None of these happened this time, my son woke up and went for the practice in the morning 5am in spite of reaching home only by 1am.

I have not visited the fuel station after my first tank up, so donít know the FE, but the DIS shows 9.5. I will not give in to this, will tank up, calculate and update. Whatever FE I will get, that will be with a 2-hour idle running of engine with AC. On the way back, I took a 45-minute nap to rejuvenate myself and avoid dozing off behind the wheels. Then, during the few stopovers that we did for reliving and to drink juices, each time the AC was running and the total idle running works out to about 2 hours. Anyway, I will update the FE after I tank up next

I got this
and this is working like a charm over my car. It simply takes 5 minutes to get the car cleaned bumber-to-bumper including the top. I would recommend this to all. Do note that you should "not" clear the duster even if it catches too much dirt and goes dark. Please read the recommendation in the link I had given to understand.

Until then, Cheers and happy motoring to all
krishnaraja is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:37   #4293
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 132
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Guys, I have just received a new letter from Purple Club, with a few goodies:
1. Discount of 500 on Mom & Me
2. a free yatch test ride and 2.5lakh discount on Mahindra Odyssea
3. discount on Nerolac, a free wall with textured paint, if you get them to paint the remaining 3

There was something else it has just slipped my mind. Also it mentions on Mahindra Adventure website that you can get spcl rates for Purple Club members. Anybody aware of what discounts are there?

Thanks
AGwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 23:03   #4294
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
we started by 10pm back to Chennai and I took two pillows, two bed spreads, folded the 2nd and 3rd row seats to flat, put the bed spreads, got my two kids sleep on it for the 3 hour journey back home. The kids loved it, my wife also like it.
If you love your kids, please do not do it. Kids should sit with seat belts on, especially during the night drives:- "sleeping" truck drivers will be coming in the opposite direction with head lights on high beam. Not accidents, in case of hard breaking also, passengers could get hurt if not seated properly.
teamveevee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 06:44   #4295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
If you love your kids, please do not do it. Kids should sit with seat belts on, especially during the night drives:- "sleeping" truck drivers will be coming in the opposite direction with head lights on high beam. Not accidents, in case of hard breaking also, passengers could get hurt if not seated properly.
I do agree with you on sitting and coming. In fact the guys dont belt themselves in the 2nd row and during hard breaking, not too hard though, there is possibility of hurting themselves. I have seen this happen in both my Verna and XUV.

Thanks for your advice, I take your point well.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:05   #4296
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Guys, I have just received a new letter from Purple Club, with a few goodies:
1. Discount of 500 on Mom & Me
2. a free yatch test ride and 2.5lakh discount on Mahindra Odyssea
3. discount on Nerolac, a free wall with textured paint, if you get them to paint the remaining 3

There was something else it has just slipped my mind. Also it mentions on Mahindra Adventure website that you can get spcl rates for Purple Club members. Anybody aware of what discounts are there?

Thanks
Any idea if this goodies are for all batch owners or for just the cars that rolled out in the last 3 months or so. My car is 7-8 months old now. Did not get this goodies so far.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:00   #4297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 132
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Any idea if this goodies are for all batch owners or for just the cars that rolled out in the last 3 months or so. My car is 7-8 months old now. Did not get this goodies so far.

FundaG
FundaG, I have no idea. Mine is Nov2012 one!
And yes the 4th one is a discount coupon of rs100 with DHL
AGwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:49   #4298
BHPian
 
kaiserketkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
[*]The auto-wipe feature of the car, I guess people who have purchased the car would use it as less as possible. I would not use it at all, because the wipe first thing when I turn the ignition, will actually create scratch in the windshield if it were to accumulate dirt during the overnight parking or during the day when I park in heavily traffic prone area. I dont want to get my windshield scratched!
The auto wiper and the auto headlights are different in that sense.

the autoheadlight has a independent position on the stalk and if you leave it in that position when you switch off the car, it stays active the next time you start it, till you physically switch it off.

the auto wipers however are a toggle switch. from what i remember my experience last rainy season, when you switch off the car and switch it on again, the auto wipers have been switched off. they're meant to be activated only when you need them, and depending on how heavy the rain is, they'll adjust the speed. they will not remain active [by that i mean, dormant but ready to swipe automatically] all the time. you have to switch them on manually everytime you start the car.

hope this helps.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 13:47   #4299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Yes, unlike the auto headlamps, you'll have to activate auto wipers every time you start your car. And so the chances of scratching your windshield is remote, unless of course you flicked the switch yourselves. I have used this on multiple occasions and let me tell you, it's a great feature. It lets you concentrate on the driving part in those challenging wet conditions, leaving the adjustment to the sensor. Heavier the rain is, faster the blades move and when the rain stops, it stops automatically. Try it and I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 23:10   #4300
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 539 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Of all these years i never realized there is a separate button for Auto wipers, i thought Auto lights would trigger wipers as well. Due to this i added this issue in my to do list for next service
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 13:48   #4301
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
[*]The auto-wipe feature of the car, I guess people who have purchased the car would use it as less as possible. I would not use it at all, because the wipe first thing when I turn the ignition, will actually create scratch in the windshield if it were to accumulate dirt during the overnight parking or during the day when I park in heavily traffic prone area. I dont want to get my windshield scratched!


Just my 2 cents on auto lights and auto wiper.

During my initial days, I always left the light in auto light mode. Switching to the manual headlamp when required during the night. And while stopping the car in auto light mode, never used to switch it off. My car park at both home and office are in the basement and hence it was always good to have the lights in auto light mode. Now when you crank the engine, the lights turn off for a couple of secs and come back on. I thought this was some sort of protection mechanism for the lights until both my low beam bulbs conked off at the same time. And as per my RM, the reason could be cranking the engine in the auto light mode and with the lights ON. Though XUV is meant to have (no one is sure) mechanisms to overcome voltage spikes at the time of cranking, I was advised it was still safe to switch off the lights before cranking. And a pair of low beam bulbs cost 1000rs and is not covered under warranty.

I also used to enable the auto wiper every time I entered the car. But then I realised it was not to be used like that especially in the XUV. Since it did an initial wipe on the dry glass. Auto wiper was meant to be switched ON only once it starts raining, post which it is totally automatic. And it is pretty easy considering one just needs to press the button on the stalk.

So my understanding of both auto lights and auto wipers "in the XUV" - these are meant to be enabled each time when required. And not to be kept ON always or enabled everytime the car is started. Infact they should have been called semi-automatic.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 11:33   #4302
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 132
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Just my 2 cents on auto lights and auto wiper.

During my initial days, I always left the light in auto light mode. Switching to the manual headlamp when required during the night. And while stopping the car in auto light mode, never used to switch it off. My car park at both home and office are in the basement and hence it was always good to have the lights in auto light mode. Now when you crank the engine, the lights turn off for a couple of secs and come back on. I thought this was some sort of protection mechanism for the lights until both my low beam bulbs conked off at the same time. And as per my RM, the reason could be cranking the engine in the auto light mode and with the lights ON. Though XUV is meant to have (no one is sure) mechanisms to overcome voltage spikes at the time of cranking, I was advised it was still safe to switch off the lights before cranking. And a pair of low beam bulbs cost 1000rs and is not covered under warranty.


FundaG
FundaG, regarding the auto lamp, my RM also told me the same thing when my low beam have conked off thrice on separate occasions. The 2 times I was able to use the spare that is provided with the car. But, before the last time I was there and this RM was telling another customer the reason why they keep on fusing. However, the guy insisted he had lost 6 of these already and having already spent his cash on each replacement, he ensures that he doesn't use the auto function. However, they still keep on going kaput.

He told me the same thing and I just laughed saying, even if keeping them on auto is resulting on them failing, M&M should pay for them, as this is an inbuilt feature in the car and I can't be held responsible if while cranking the spike kills it. He shrugged me off then. Later after 2 weeks, my RHS side did fail, and when I sent him the vehicle, he read the bill to me which included the bulb and the labour coming to some 600 odd. I told him what I had told them that day, I asked them if they can give me in writing that the reason is the crank-up spike I will then take it up with M&M, otherwise they should save everybody some time and just replace it under warranty. He didn't call me back and it was taken care of.

I have been using my XUV everyday now for close to 18 months now, and I know I have faced some problems with them. However they have been empathetic enough to resolve it, what I have learned with my experience however, is which buttons to press to get the job done. The ASS are some instances not aware and others just trying to see if they can get away with it, and this is true with all brands. Heck I know if I dont keep an eye with my other cars for MSM and Hyundai, you send the car for service and the bill seems like you have just bought a new one.

I have learned from others experience on T-BHP and have shared mine, time and again. You just need to question each item and accordingly take a call. IMHO What is good here of M&M is that you scare them with a stick of writing to M&M they respond. With other brands generally the ASS will just smile and give you the take it or leave it attitude.
AGwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 11:50   #4303
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

He told me the same thing and I just laughed saying, even if keeping them on auto is resulting on them failing, M&M should pay for them, as this is an inbuilt feature in the car and I can't be held responsible if while cranking the spike kills it. He shrugged me off then. Later after 2 weeks, my RHS side did fail, and when I sent him the vehicle, he read the bill to me which included the bulb and the labour coming to some 600 odd. I told him what I had told them that day, I asked them if they can give me in writing that the reason is the crank-up spike I will then take it up with M&M, otherwise they should save everybody some time and just replace it under warranty. He didn't call me back and it was taken care of.
Agree with you on this point. I always felt this bulb fusing was something that M&M really needs to look at. Else why the auto light feature. Also one other major design flaw is that there is no indication light in the instrument cluster to inform you the headlights are ON except when it is in high beam. Amongst all those diwali light of indicators I always felt there was a need for an indication light to inform you the headlights/parking lights are ON. They are times when I have to twist my head to check the light stalk to understand if the lights are ON or not before cranking the engine. Especially when the car is parked outside in the night and you start it the next morning. They were multiple times I started the car with the LED parking lights ON. And one day am sure this lights are going to fuse off due to some spike.


FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 23:10   #4304
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 539 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Agree with you on this point. I always felt this bulb fusing was something that M&M really needs to look at. Else why the auto light feature. Also one other major design flaw is that there is no indication light in the instrument cluster to inform you the headlights are ON except when it is in high beam. Amongst all those diwali light of indicators I always felt there was a need for an indication light to inform you the headlights/parking lights are ON. They are times when I have to twist my head to check the light stalk to understand if the lights are ON or not before cranking the engine. Especially when the car is parked outside in the night and you start it the next morning. They were multiple times I started the car with the LED parking lights ON. And one day am sure this lights are going to fuse off due to some spike.


FundaG
Agreed 100%. They should have added a small indication to let us know if lights are on. The only indication it gives is that the instrument lights "dims" when lights are on, which can be missed if its bright outside.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 15:52   #4305
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Hi friends, am a new XUV owner. The first thing I did was to read up the owners manual end to end.
The thread came handy wherever I was stuck, for the rest I sought help from SDP who was ever willing to answer patiently all my silly queries.

Have few queries for which I got contradictory answers from my RM, the person who came home for the demo and fellow colleagues who own the beast.

My queries are
- does the car have driver side Auto-up windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-5)
- does the car have driver side Anti Pinch windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-6)
- centralised power window lock on driver side - when locked, does it also disable front passenger side window as well (along with rear windows) ? My RM says the front passenger should be able to access his window even when the central power window lock on driver door is enabled (locked).
- the manual says that the whereabouts of the vehicle ( search function) can be enabled by pressing the 'unlock' button on remote for 3 secs and the hazard lights blink enabling us to identify the vehicle. While doing so, the doors are unlocked automatically while you are away at a distance from the car ! I find it strange that this leads to security breach.
- Section 7-12 of the manual says that the beep/alarm can be enabled by pressing the ' lock' button for more than 3 secs. Am unable to enable this feature. I want the car to beep every time I lock/ unlock my car.
- Auto AC : the system automatically enables the fresh air mode within 2 mins after I choose the circulation mode. It happens only once in the entire cycle (between starting and switching off the engine).

Thanks in advance to fellow bhp'ians for your advise.
(Will soon come up with my booking and ownership reviews).

Note : special thanks to SDP and Sathya_SC for their help in answering my queries and installing confidence in me to own the beast.

Last edited by bnzjon : 1st May 2013 at 15:55.
bnzjon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:27.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks