Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:07   #4621
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,022 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Took an extended test drive of the XUV5OO AWD. In one word....Superb.

..............

Ignoring everything I've read on the niggles thread, the XUV is just incredible. Just could not believe I was driving a Mahindra. Way to go.
+100 to the part marked in bold. This is the reason I am happy with the purchase decision of my XUV. Whenever the XUV is compared to anything in the market, the topic always starts and ends with "niggles in the XUV". There is so much more to the car which can make the owners to overlook some petty niggles.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:40   #4622
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I have been thinking about the Monastery Escape for quite some time, as I have seen many travelogues of fellow members, and the pics just look so tempting.
Though, I just got a great package deal for Leh for 7N 8D and I just jumped on that and flew to Leh within a short notice of 2 days. I just came back today morning, and I feel that I would love to do this once more in my XUV now.

boss give me an off for 10 more days!
The price they have mentioned is way too expensive. I can easily do my own trip in half the money they are asking.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:08   #4623
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 132
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
The price they have mentioned is way too expensive. I can easily do my own trip in half the money they are asking.

i agree, that was half the reason why I was put off, and half why I went with a make my trip tour which costed me 40k all inclusive for 2
AGwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 07:23   #4624
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Mahindra should quickly come up with the W4 variant, it has a ready market going with a lot of Storme, Duster and Ecosport customers sitting on the fence, that will be like setting the cat among the pigeons, it would also cannibalise the W6 to an extent, but increase sales in the long run

I think the only reason Mahindra are still delaying it is because the bean counters are working out how much the GP would fall if the W4 is released
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 07:52   #4625
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,517 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Mahindra should quickly come up with the W4 variant, it has a ready market going with a lot of Storme, Duster and Ecosport customers sitting on the fence, that will be like setting the cat among the pigeons, it would also cannibalise the W6 to an extent, but increase sales in the long run

I think the only reason Mahindra are still delaying it is because the bean counters are working out how much the GP would fall if the W4 is released
The lower variant would not necessaily sell or canibalize the W6. I believe, even if it can help increasing the foot-falls to the showroom M&M should be happy. Lot of people are currently busy doing comparisons on paper without seeing the concerned vehicles in flesh. IMHO M&M should not try to compete with the EcoSport at all, till they have a compact-SUV offering.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 10:56   #4626
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Mahindra should quickly come up with the W4 variant, it has a ready market going with a lot of Storme, Duster and Ecosport customers sitting on the fence, that will be like setting the cat among the pigeons, it would also cannibalise the W6 to an extent, but increase sales in the long run
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The lower variant would not necessaily sell or canibalize the W6. I believe, even if it can help increasing the foot-falls to the showroom M&M should be happy. Lot of people are currently busy doing comparisons on paper without seeing the concerned vehicles in flesh. IMHO M&M should not try to compete with the EcoSport at all, till they have a compact-SUV offering.
W4 should not be the exact replica of XUV in terms of looks and proportions. I feel that would make w6 and w8 lose the premium value it currently holds -- to some extent .
Just like BMW came up with X1 or Audi with Q3, Mahindra should also have a smaller version of XUV that can take on Duster and Ecosport. That way buyers of both segments can be satisfied.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 11:32   #4627
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,517 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
W4 should not be the exact replica of XUV in terms of looks and proportions. I feel that would make w6 and w8 lose the premium value it currently holds -- to some extent .
Just like BMW came up with X1 or Audi with Q3, Mahindra should also have a smaller version of XUV that can take on Duster and Ecosport. That way buyers of both segments can be satisfied.

FundaG
In that case, the W4 would not be a XUV5OO at all. It would be a XUV4OO or XUV3OO.

Even I do not like the same model having too many variants spanning 2-3 segments in terms of price.

From what I heard from a RM, a chopped version of XUV is on the cards, with no last row of seats. But that is at least 18-24 months away. Not very sure about the authenticity of that information. Might be a rumour as well.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 20:22   #4628
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Why not just bring out fresh Scorpio with few features copied from XUV rather than spoiling the image of XUV 500. There are way too many Scorpio fans who would love to have a fresh new looking one asap.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 15:27   #4629
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Mods, please delete the post. The connection got reset and I posted this again thinking the earlier one has not gone in.

Frankly, I think the W4 would just be fine. If Mahindra manages to keep sufficient differentiation in features in the W4 & W6, the two versions would not cannibalize each other. In fact probably this would help further in increasing the numbers and bring down the component costs so that newer developments would be easy. I think Indica platform development had some tremendous advantages on similar lines earlier for Tatas. I'm not sure about the shorter version though. Quanto is not exactly a success story and the entire appeal with the XUV preposition I believe includes major aspects of the form factor as well. I personally will not think of going in for something like a shorter XUV with just two rows of sits as this definitely will not be prices way down the existing price point of XUV.

Last edited by yogibear007 : 25th July 2013 at 15:31.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 15:29   #4630
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Frankly, I think the W4 would just be fine. If Mahindra manages to keep sufficient differentiation in features in the W4 & W6, the two versions would not cannibalize each other. In fact probably this would help further in increasing the numbers and bring down the component costs so that newer developments would be easy. I think Indica platform development had some tremendous advantages on similar lines earlier for Tatas. I'm not sure about the shorter version though. Quanto is not exactly a success story and the entire appeal with the XUV preposition I believe includes major aspects of the form factor as well. I personally will not think of going in for something like a shorter XUV with just two rows of sits as this definitely can not be priced way down the existing price point of XUV to attract a completely different segment of customer. In which case, the existing customers may shy away from the range altogether.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 21:41   #4631
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Just thinking out loud. How difficult it would be to add Auto folding mechanism to W6 model? Inputs everyone.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 21:58   #4632
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Just thinking out loud. How difficult it would be to add Auto folding mechanism to W6 model? Inputs everyone.
The hardware part would be too easy but the software part would be a little tricky for anybody other than M&M. If they are willing, I think this would be just a jiffy.
Come to think of that, can we upgrade the software programs from W8 to W6 ? Is this possible by any means ? Logically, due to lack of relevant hardware like sensors or mechanical components like motors, servos, only the related software functions like HDC, HAC, AutoFold, Color screen or ESP etc should not function without any other effect on the vehicle. The vehicle should run as intended. Am I correct ? If this is the case, is the software program in W6 & W8 really different ? How can we find this out ?
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 22:04   #4633
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,517 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Nitin, I don't believe it would be difficult per say. How much would it cost is a different matter. The fold-button is part of the same assembly in which power-window switches and mirror-adjustment switches are housed. So that part would need a replacement besides wiring.
Link to the snap which shows the button: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/143550.jpg

The actual motor which is responsible for the folding-action is also part of the mirror-assembly. So the mirrors would need to be replaced and they are costly (~4.5K per piece if I remember correctly). So my guess is that the overall affair would be ~15-20K INR!

Edit: Zappo had replaced a broken mirror on his W6 for 9500Rs (including labour)!

Last edited by SDP : 25th July 2013 at 22:18.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 23:15   #4634
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Nitin, I don't believe it would be difficult per say. How much would it cost is a different matter. The fold-button is part of the same assembly in which power-window switches and mirror-adjustment switches are housed. So that part would need a replacement besides wiring.
Link to the snap which shows the button: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/143550.jpg

The actual motor which is responsible for the folding-action is also part of the mirror-assembly. So the mirrors would need to be replaced and they are costly (~4.5K per piece if I remember correctly). So my guess is that the overall affair would be ~15-20K INR!

Edit: Zappo had replaced a broken mirror on his W6 for 9500Rs (including labour)!
In W6, there is a space for this button, just that the actual button is missing. Since W6/w8 shares same parts hence this was already there, so no issue in this part. Now to add the mechanism is what needs to be done. Can you check with your RM if possiable about this experiment, i will check with mine too.

And are you sure Zappo had to pay 9500 for a single mirror for W6
How much would W8 mirror would cost then?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 06:36   #4635
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,517 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
In W6, there is a space for this button, just that the actual button is missing. Since W6/w8 shares same parts hence this was already there, so no issue in this part. Now to add the mechanism is what needs to be done. Can you check with your RM if possiable about this experiment, i will check with mine too.

And are you sure Zappo had to pay 9500 for a single mirror for W6
How much would W8 mirror would cost then?
Quoting from following post in my ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2957382

Quote:
4. Left ORVM making kar-kar noise while folding. It wasn't really hitting anything. I thought its just a matter of lubricating something. -> They replaced the entire left side ORVM assembly under warranty. Apparently costs 4500 Rs!
I remember seeing that cost on the pre-invoice.


Here's a link to Zappo's post about the 9500Rs for left ORVM replacement in his W6:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3162496

Besides the mirror, may be the wiring might have been damaged when the mirror got knocked off and that might have increased the overall repair job cost. May be zappo can provide some more details about the breakup.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th July 2013 at 07:31. Reason: typo
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks