Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th May 2014, 11:50   #5926
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Just completed a 1500 Km long drive, along with a 24 KM trek to Vaishno Devi bhawan. Choose to do it in 3 days instead of 4 so I could relax today!

It was a joy to drive the XUV, got it past the 1500 Km too and took it close to 150 for a moment to feel the power. Some sort of an alarm starts beeping at 150 (at which point my dad said slow down). Otherwise, the truck behaved very well and was able to overtake all cars with aplomb. I used the cruise feature extensively and must say it is a delight to use.

I was just washing it and its hard to get a satisfactory black color back! Moreover, after the puja our pandit ji had used Organge color (Sindoor + Ghee ) like you see on hanuman jee.

I tried to clean it for a minute but could not. Decided to take your advice on how can it be best removed ? Hot water/petrol/workshop?

Also, one small issue that came up was the irritating noise from the plastic cap on top of the instrument console. I had to keep my handkerchief there to keep it quiet. Its loose but I cant see any nuts. Any idea how to tighten it?

Carvoyeur
carvoyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 15:01   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Also, one small issue that came up was the irritating noise from the plastic cap on top of the instrument console.
I had read about this earlier in an ownership report, not sure who had written it down. Anyways, seems like this is a known issue. The part will be opened up and some foam material inserted to prevent it. Your service centre may be aware of this issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 21:05   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to clean it for a minute but could not. Decided to take your advice on how can it be best removed ? Hot water/petrol/workshop?
If you have WD40, then please spray that on the affected portion and leave it for 5 minutes. Then clean it off.

If that does not work without scrubbing, then use a clay bar.

Please do not use petrol.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 08:36   #5929
BHPian

Fellow bhpians & XUV lovers; I had fallen for XUV the day it was launched, but the initial waiting period and niggles faced by the owners kept me away from it and bought a Vento TDI in 2012. Now that my Vento EMI over I am getting biased towards owning the beast.

Went and took a test drive (May13 Model 17k clocked) from Sireesh Mahindra, Hosur Road, Bangalore. Comparatively the vehicle has improved a lot compared to my test drive way back in 2012 especially the brakes and clutch feel. They way the beast handles maneuvers despite itís a 2.5 tonner. The highways maneuvers where the passengers will be scared on Vento were no complaints here. Absolutely floored and decided to go for it.

To the point now; I have the following questions to the fellow bhpians.

1. I am reading from the thread that all the initial major niggles are solved post Oct2013. May13 model that I test drove the brakes had a grinding feel and extreme tyre squeal under heavy breaking. Is this expected? I have asked for a newer vehicle to TD and the Sales consultant confirmed that he can arrange for the same this Saturday.

2. Sireesh Mahindra is quoting me as below for W8 FWD
Ex showroom: 13,69,086
Road Tax: 2,69,347
Insurance (Comp): 55,057 (The same comprehensive insurance quoted me 46k in my native Salem, Tamil Nadu)
On-Road: 16,93,490
Is this price fine and what are the types of negotiations that I can do with the dealer? Should I get a second quote from another dealer?
Any new recent buys from Bangalore can help with their deals/dealers here.
Chuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 09:28   #5930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
Should I get a second quote from another dealer?
Yes. Get quote and TD from Anant Cars and India Garage too. You can also get the insurance done by yourself at a less cost. Dealers will agree for that.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 11:11   #5931
BHPian

Quote:
It was a joy to drive the XUV, got it past the 1500 Km too and took it close to 150 for a moment to feel the power. Some sort of an alarm starts beeping at 150 (at which point my dad said slow down).

Also, one small issue that came up was the irritating noise from the plastic cap on top of the instrument console. I had to keep my handkerchief there to keep it quiet. Its loose but I cant see any nuts. Any idea how to tighten it?

Carvoyeur
Nothing to be worried about. The ping-ping noise is a way to indicate the speed is above 150kmph. No way to switch this off or change that limit. One way to drive at those speeds without letting your passengers know is to set the cruise at say 145-148kmph

The hood becomes a little loose once in a while. You ASC will get it fixed. But it will again get loose after some amount of driving.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 13:10   #5932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes. Get quote and TD from Anant Cars and India Garage too. You can also get the insurance done by yourself at a less cost. Dealers will agree for that.
Ravi Sir, Thanks for your reply. I will get quote from other two dealers as well and update. Can you please throw some light on how to go about insurance off dealer?

I have been following your ownership thread and I have used your pics to convince people at home for Opulent Purple. You are true inspiration on driving. Salute!
Chuchan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 13:30   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please throw some light on how to go about insurance off dealer?
Ask the dealer to give a quote without the insurance and with maximum discount and accessories. If you are enjoying no-claim bonus [NCB] on your previous/other car, get it surrendered, convert the other car's insurance into a third-party insurance and get a certificate from the insurer, which will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. While buying your XUV 500, get the VIN and vehicle spec from the dealer, surrender the certificate and take comprehensive insurance through your insurance agent [or online] utilizing your NCB. In my case, the insurance agent did all these ground work. He sent the insurance policy by email. I took a print of it and gave it to the dealer before sending the car for registration. After getting the car's registration certificate, apply with a copy of it to the insurer, who will then give an endorsement specifying the car's registration number. Keep the endorsement along with the insurance policy in the car.

Thanks a lot for the compliments and nice words.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 5th May 2014 at 13:35.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 13:36   #5934
BHPian

Quote:
Is this price fine and what are the types of negotiations that I can do with the dealer? Should I get a second quote from another dealer?
Any new recent buys from Bangalore can help with their deals/dealers here.
I test drove XUV 10 days back in India Garage. The Sales rep offered a total of 30K discount (15K for Corporate and 15K for Loyalty) and for further discounts, he asked me to talk to the Sales Manager at the showroom. Good luck with your negotiations and let us know the outcome.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 14:01   #5935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Have you tried to find the reason for this extra height .
Cant actually make out why there seems to be different in height. Sometimes looks as an illusion due to color sometimes may be due to wear out tyres and difference in air pressure so I meassured, the difference in height was actually there. Went out and took few pics have a look.

In first pic compare with the wall periphery in the background. The Grey one looks taller.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-f1.jpg

I only had this to measure bumper line from ground and there you can see a difference of 1 to 1 1/2 inch in height, there was about 1/2 inch difference in gap between tyre and fender too.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-f2.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-f3.jpg
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 14:13   #5936
BHPian

Quote:
Ask the dealer to give a quote without the insurance and with maximum discount and accessories. If you are enjoying no-claim bonus [NCB] on your previous/other car, get it surrendered, convert the other car's insurance into a third-party insurance and get a certificate from the insurer, which will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. While buying your XUV 500, get the VIN and vehicle spec from the dealer, surrender the certificate and take comprehensive insurance through your insurance agent [or online] utilizing your NCB. In my case, the insurance agent did all these ground work. He sent the insurance policy by email. I took a print of it and gave it to the dealer before sending the car for registration. After getting the car's registration certificate, apply with a copy of it to the insurer, who will then give an endorsement specifying the car's registration number. Keep the endorsement along with the insurance policy in the car.

Thanks a lot for the compliments and nice words.
Ravi Sir, I am planning keep my Vento, would this NCB calculation be applicable only if I sell my previous car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I test drove XUV 10 days back in India Garage. The Sales rep offered a total of 30K discount (15K for Corporate and 15K for Loyalty) and for further discounts, he asked me to talk to the Sales Manager at the showroom. Good luck with your negotiations and let us know the outcome.
Hi Voyager,
I just spoke to my Sireesh Sales Consultant and following are the discount that he has confirmed.
13,69,086(ex-showroom) - 25000(Corp Disc 10k +Cash Disc 15k) = 1344086 (Post Disc)
+ 2,53,629 (RoadTax on Discounted ex-show)
+ 11,000 (Handling Charges)
+ 33,000 (Bumper2Bumper Insurance)
= 16,41,715 (Final On-Road Price)

I just called Anant cars, they are yet to get back on the price and discounts.
Yet to check with India Garage. Will keep posted if I get any updates from other dealers.
Chuchan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 14:23   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning keep my Vento, would this NCB calculation be applicable only if I sell my previous car?
No. You can have both. But, NCB will be allowed on one car only. So, it is beneficial for the owner to enjoy the NCB on the car, which costs more. You can convert the insurance policy of your Vento into a third-party. I did the same, when I bought XUV 500. My erstwhile Linea's comprehensive policy got converted into a third-party and I continued to own both the cars for one month.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 5th May 2014 at 14:25.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 14:28   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
counted ex-show) + 11,000 (Handling Charges)
I guess the handling charges mentioned are too high. Ideally it should be zero, which is never the case. However I have seen handling chargers in range of 6.5K. 11K is bit too much, ask them to decrease this, or check the breakup of that.
Sometimes they include other items like new number plate in handling charge if they are quoting registration separate.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 15:28   #5939
BHPian

Quote:
No. You can have both. But, NCB will be allowed on one car only.
Thanks Ravi sir, my brother is using Vento and I have no plans to sell it and I have a bumper to bumper plan too. Third party is the only option or can I have the NCB transferred to XUV and have a no NCB plan for my Vento?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess the handling charges mentioned are too high.
Suhas, even I felt the same, in my native (Salem) they quoted 9100 for the same. I will have to check the same with other dealers. Lets see.
Chuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 15:54   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Third party is the only option or can I have the NCB transferred to XUV and have a no NCB plan for my Vento?
Since my erstwhile Linea was already more than 4 years old and had the option of selling it, I had chosen the third-party policy. I think you can have a comprehensive policy with NCB on your XUV 500 and another comprehensive policy without NCB on Vento, IIRC. Kindly check with your insurer.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote