Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 15:29   #6106
BHPian
 
gurudutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If I remember correctly, the wing-mirrors with the auto-folding motors inside on the W8 are 15000 Rs a piece. Besides the mirrors, you would need a mechanism to add the manual-mirror-folding switch just ahead of the 4 power-window switches on the driver side. Would possibly involve wiring change as well and some programming change as the mirrors auto-fold and auto-open on shutting down and starting the engine respectively. Add labour at M&M A.S.S. on top of that. I wont be surprised if the cost of the project goes above 40,000 Rs. Not worth it, if you ask me.

There is a location for the switch ahead of the mirror adjustment controls. They have closed the hole, it can be opened. Cost aspect seems quite a bit. Let me check with the ASS if its doable.

Edit: Just checked with ASS, the cost is Rs 8,000 a piece so Rs 16,000 for the pair. So my bet is, the whole setup should not cost more than 20 K.

Last edited by gurudutt : 7th June 2014 at 15:39.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 20:29   #6107
BHPian
 
gurudutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

My XUV has got her first major scratch on her left bumper corner :(. Any advice on how to fix it and prevent such scratches from happening again. This might have happened during my recent trip to coorg couple of days back.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20140607_193856.jpg  

gurudutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 07:17   #6108
BHPian
 
debuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 407
Thanked: 1,303 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
What is the fuel tank capacity? The electronic fuel indicator was showing 2 points and still I managed to fill 67 liters. My brother in law filled 72 liters at almost dry level indicator during his ride to murdeshwar.
I recently filled more than 76 litres of diesel in my XUV when the DTE (distance to empty) was showing about 10 KM. So the capacity of my fuel tank can be assumed to be at least 77 or 78 litres!

On one occasion, when my XUV was new and about 74 litres of fuel went in, I became suspicious about the accuracy of the pump. I asked for quantity and density checks and they seemed to be okay. I wrote about it here (Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur).
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 15:26   #6109
BHPian
 
Sisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 119
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I recently filled more than 76 litres of diesel in my XUV when the DTE (distance to empty) was showing about 10 KM. So the capacity of my fuel tank can be assumed to be at least 77 or 78 litres!

On one occasion, when my XUV was new and about 74 litres of fuel went in, I became suspicious about the accuracy of the pump. I asked for quantity and density checks and they seemed to be okay. I wrote about it here (Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur).
I have also been quite intrigued with the capacity of the fuel tank. I have also on occasions managed to squeeze in ~72-73 litres of fuel.

My guess is that the fuel tank would be ~75 litres capacity + 3-4 litres can be accommodated in the fuels lines etc.

However, it would be great if we can get an official capacity figure from a verified source.

Cheeerzzz
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 17:15   #6110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,417
Thanked: 6,292 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
My XUV has got her first major scratch on her left bumper corner :(. Any advice on how to fix it and prevent such scratches from happening again. This might have happened during my recent trip to coorg couple of days back.
I suggest you leave it just like that. It looks a bit big since you have zoomed in, if you post a full pic of the car, then am sure it would NOT be that noticeable.

The first scratch hurts, let it remain to ward off the evil eye!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 09:18   #6111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 465
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Any pointers on the maintenance cost involved for the regular upkeep of XUV? Interested to know the average cost per paid service. I'm sure there are many members here who have first-hand info on this.

(service interval is 10K, isnt it?)

Thanks.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 09:42   #6112
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,493 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Any pointers on the maintenance cost involved for the regular upkeep of XUV? Interested to know the average cost per paid service. I'm sure there are many members here who have first-hand info on this.

(service interval is 10K, isnt it?)

Thanks.
3rd and last free service at 20000Kms, I paid ~5900 Rs. I opted out of wheel-balancing and alignment otherwise it would have been another 1100-1200 Rs more.

A paid service with consumables and labour should be in the 9000-10000 Rs range. May be others who have done the paid services can throw some light.

PS: Every 10K is inspection and engine oil only. Every 20K is the real service IIRC.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2014 at 09:44.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 12:31   #6113
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 267
Thanked: 273 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS: Every 10K is inspection and engine oil only. Every 20K is the real service IIRC.
Just to clarify, engine oil replacement is every 20 K after first 5K and 20K.
However, there is a caveat in the form of a time limit of 1 year. In my case 5K oil change was done on Mar 26, 2013 and I am at 16.5 K on the ODO as on date. It's well over a year though I am short of 20K service milestone, and I think it's better to change the oil after a year as recommended. My running is not that high and I can't imagine completing 20K within a year in the forseeable future.
I am attaching an update from M&M circulated sometime back for a lot of the new owners. Don't know if any updates have been issued post that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XUV500_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf (254.2 KB, 440 views)
Heavy Horse is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 14:05   #6114
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,493 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Just to clarify, engine oil replacement is every 20 K after first 5K and 20K.
However, there is a caveat in the form of a time limit of 1 year. In my case 5K oil change was done on Mar 26, 2013 and I am at 16.5 K on the ODO as on date. It's well over a year though I am short of 20K service milestone, and I think it's better to change the oil after a year as recommended. My running is not that high and I can't imagine completing 20K within a year in the forseeable future.
I am attaching an update from M&M circulated sometime back for a lot of the new owners. Don't know if any updates have been issued post that.
Thanks HH!

Just glanced through the PDF once again and here are a few observations:

1. Under the head "HVAC" , a particle filter is mentioned as "C" (i.e. Clean) every 10000 kms. If this is the same thing as the AC filter or cabin-air filter, then this might change. The new AC filter is a paper-based one unlike the older one which was like a wire-mesh. The RM told me that the new ones need to be replaced ("R") every 20000kms. So the "C" might have changed to "R" after the design change.

2. Wheel-Alignment and Rotation - Although its common knowledge that it should be done every 5-10K kilometers, the PDF mentions "Inspect" only at all places. Wonder why.

3. Wheel-balancing - Not mentioned at all.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2014 at 14:07.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 16:45   #6115
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 267
Thanked: 273 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
2. Wheel-Alignment and Rotation - Although its common knowledge that it should be done every 5-10K kilometers, the PDF mentions "Inspect" only at all places. Wonder why.

3. Wheel-balancing - Not mentioned at all.
Really don't understand why M&M is not specific with regard to Wheel alignment and rotation. At the 10K service it took great effort on my part to get them to do it. They said that they would need to do wheel balancing also prior to rotation and then fix the alignment. Which sounded logical and fine with me. Incidentally they charged me only for the weights. Labour was free.
Heavy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 16:52   #6116
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,670
Thanked: 8,684 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
My XUV has got her first major scratch on her left bumper corner :(. Any advice on how to fix it and prevent such scratches from happening again. This might have happened during my recent trip to coorg couple of days back.
Rubbing will take care of this scratch, only deeply scarred portion will remain visible. Buy 3M(or any other) rubbing compound from any spares/accessories shop.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 17:59   #6117
Newbie
 
vinny.ganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hello Friends

This ones a bit off topic but need suggestions on how to avoid this sunlight at 47 degrees as my XUV interiors are almost melting now. With no options to use a sunfilm in Delhi any suggestions are welcome though i found these products below to be useful. Please guide

http://www.polcoindia.com/polco1.html

http://www.climair.com/en/sonniboy.html


Cheers!
vinny.ganju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 18:25   #6118
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi Vinny,

Try the static electric sun shade, Works like a film and is a bliss in this scorching heat.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/4-PC-High-Eff...item2a3979607c
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 14:58   #6119
BHPian
 
Sisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 119
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny.ganju View Post
Hello Friends

This ones a bit off topic but need suggestions on how to avoid this sunlight at 47 degrees as my XUV interiors are almost melting now. With no options to use a sunfilm in Delhi any suggestions are welcome though i found these products below to be useful. Please guide

http://www.polcoindia.com/polco1.html

http://www.climair.com/en/sonniboy.html


Cheers!
Hi Vinny,

I recently purchased magnetic sun shades (a set of 6 pcs.) from Auto-Furnish in Delhi. The fit is pretty good and they look quite neat IMO.

http://autofurnish.com/p/1337/autofu...-xuv-500-6-pcs

Ask for Rupal there and give him reference of Team-BHP and he would surely help you out.

Cheeeerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 18:14   #6120
Newbie
 
vinny.ganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Thanks Sisu this looks like a decent option but hows the visibility while driving? Also is this easy to install (DIY types) without fidgeting much with the car as i am bit cautious when adding such accessories that may damage original parts / paint.


Cheers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi Vinny,

I recently purchased magnetic sun shades (a set of 6 pcs.) from Auto-Furnish in Delhi. The fit is pretty good and they look quite neat IMO.

http://autofurnish.com/p/1337/autofu...-xuv-500-6-pcs

Ask for Rupal there and give him reference of Team-BHP and he would surely help you out.

Cheeeerzzz
Thanks Alive2Drive this is a good alternative. Will check out the real stuff in the market first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi Vinny,

Try the static electric sun shade, Works like a film and is a bliss in this scorching heat.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/4-PC-High-Eff...item2a3979607c
vinny.ganju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 116 10th May 2017 15:34
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks