Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th January 2015, 23:08   #6946
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You know that's not a good place to keep the phone at all.
Hi Vid, you do make an interesting point. Honestly never thought of such possibilities. Thanks for alerting me.

I'm not too fussed about the sun. Secondly, with a power of -7 dioptres, I'm not too sure about the visibility aspect from the position that you suggest.

I've noticed that with an almost sixty year old retired guy, with loads of gravitas, even the cops stay away. After all 35 years in the corporate world counts for something

If I get into trouble with these bikers, I'll let you know. Once again, thanks for alerting me.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th January 2015 at 23:21. Reason: Sorry but I have to delete the reference to drinking and driving.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 09:45   #6947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Fusionbang I liked the one that you bought; ordered it on Jan 5, and as you had warned me got tired of waiting for it to arrive. So yesterday in Mangalore I picked up this for Rs 500/-. Completely unbranded, no mention of manufacturing location, directions printed on the carton !!
Good to know you liked the one I suggested, I bet you would like it more once you get your hands on it.

IMO, the one you have bought should hold good for few days and after that the vacuum suction goes for a toss and when a phone is connected it will not withstand the weight and tend to fall down every now and then. I had faced this earlier with a similar one, hence my comments

Quote:
Raviji, I have been feeling frustrated with MMI for some time. Since Pondicherry is almost your third home, , you will appreciate this story. I recently travelled to Pondy from Bangalore. MMI routed me from Krishnagiri-Mathur-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondy. There is virtually no road from Krishnagiri till about 20 kms past Chengam. I was so happy I was in an SUV and not a sedan, in which I would have certainly punctured the engine oil sump ! The beauty of Google Maps is that it does not even show the above as a route. In fact the preferred route, as you undoubtedly know well, is Pondy-Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. I used this on the way back, and what a beauty it was, particularly after Arcot, though the state highways till then, though single lane, were also in excellent condition.

I think Google Maps, while no means perfect, will serve us well because their updations are quite fast, and being internet based we will always have the latest data to guide us.
And on Google Maps, I completely agree with you that it is one of the best maps to be used while travelling. One such example is, recently Shiradi Ghat has been shut down for a duration of 6 months for repair works and if you try to get a route map from Bangalore - Mangalore, then Google Maps will show the roads as closed and gives you an alternate route, whereas Here Maps and MMI still show the route via Shiradi ghats which is misleading.

Anytime Google Maps is the best of the lot
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 10:55   #6948
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
I think Google Maps, while no means perfect, will serve us well
The only downside for using Google Maps is that we should have the phone connectivity all along the route. So far, I haven't tried it. Now, I will try in my next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The best place is actually attach the suction mount to the left of the IRVM towards top of windshield.
This was my favourite position in my erstwhile Linea. Now, I will try this in XUV 500 just for the sake of updated MMI maps of version 9.1.

Quote:
Do let me know how this position works for you in the XUV.
Sure, Heavy Horse. I will try both my phone and MMI Lx130 in my next trip and report here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th January 2015 at 11:12.
J.Ravi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 11:04   #6949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
This was my favourite position in my erstwhile Linea. Now, I will try this in XUV 500 just for the sake of updated MMI maps of version 9.1.]
Do let me know how this position works for you in the XUV.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 11:41   #6950
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is the reply I received just a few minutes ago from Map My India regarding updated maps for XUV 500:

Name:  mmi.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  53.7 KB
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 14:10   #6951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
hey Folks, i recently test drove an XUV. The car was 2012 model with 30K kms on odo. The overall impression was good especially the low end torque and the engine sound was relatively muted. The felt that the engine was not very free revving after 3K rpm but it was not that bad. After that today I drove another 2014 XUV which is due for 2nd service and has about 9K Kms on the odo. The low end torque was similar but I felt the mid range was not that good and engine strained after 2500rpm. I am bit confused now. Could it be due to the fact that engine doesnt have enough miles on it? is this normal with XUVs? I am also comparing things to my Diesel figo which has a free revving engine with strong mid range.
hey Folks, any thoughts on my query above.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 21:46   #6952
o.D
BHPian

Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
o.D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 22:58   #6953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
Never came across anyone who has used fully synthetic engine oil for XUV. I feel everyone is quite satisfied with the company recommended engine oil and I would suggest you to stick to basics. Just my point of view.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 19:24   #6954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
They have some hybrid oil prescribed by Mahindra ( not sure if it possible to have mixture of mineral and synthetic oil). Why to not follow what manufacturer suggests unless you have strong reason for not doing so.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 04:51   #6955
BHPian

All, i feel that the XUV suspension is so bouncy when passing a hump, while also feeling every other road undulation while driving slow (upto 60kmph). Haven't driven faster than this, as I am yet to take my XUV onto the highways. Does everyone feel the same way? Does it mean settling with a lower comfort levels?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 06:35   #6956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
All, i feel that the XUV suspension is so bouncy when passing a hump, while also feeling every other road undulation while driving slow (upto 60kmph). Haven't driven faster than this, as I am yet to take my XUV onto the highways. Does everyone feel the same way? Does it mean settling with a lower comfort levels?
I am not sure when you bought your XUV, however in cases where you feel the vehicle is very bouncy, the first point to check is the air filled in the tyres.
Its well-known that dealers over inflate the tyres prior to delivery of the vehicle. Correct this as a first check, and see how it goes.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 09:30   #6957
BHPian

I had bought mine on Christmas Day... As you said, the dealer had in fact overinflated the tyres. I had corrected the pressure. It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 11:38   #6958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
This is the reply I received just a few minutes ago from Map My India regarding updated maps for XUV 500:
Jaguar uses the same Map My India software as XUV. Hence I am sure MapmyIndia will be releasing updates for Jaguar which could be used in XUV also. However, Mahindra needs to keep getting hold of the same. Will they.. Wont they.. We need to wait and watch.

Quote:
It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
A point that all of us brings up during the initial days of ownership.. The point we however forget is we are comparing between a SUV vs a hatchback/sedan. The suspension setup for a SUV is different compared to the later. Not saying XUV has the best suspensions around. But I can guarantee you that with time, you will learn the technique of driving the beast without bouncing around too much. You can however, mention it during first service and the service guys would have a look at it to make it better. But end of the day dont expect the XUV's suspension to come anywhere close to your swift. At times I still feel my 6-7 yr old Alto drives over humps way better than the XUV.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 21st January 2015 at 11:40.
fundagenie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 11:59   #6959
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had bought mine on Christmas Day... As you said, the dealer had in fact overinflated the tyres. I had corrected the pressure. It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
A point that all of us brings up during the initial days of ownership.. The point we however forget is we are comparing between a SUV vs a hatchback/sedan. The suspension setup for a SUV is different compared to the later. Not saying XUV has the best suspensions around. But I can guarantee you that with time, you will learn the technique of driving the beast without bouncing around too much. You can however, mention it during first service and the service guys would have a look at it to make it better. But end of the day dont expect the XUV's suspension to come anywhere close to your swift. At times I still feel my 6-7 yr old Alto drives over humps way better than the XUV.

FundaG
Bang on FundaG. You and me are possibly the rare ones who are still hanging on to their age-old Alto even after getting the XUV. Exact same experience - The alto handles speed-breakers and minor road-undulations better than the XUV.

username, your observations are correct and FundaG has answered it really well. Would just like to add a small point. XUV's suspension is tuned for high-speed and high-load combination (i.e. long road-trips with family ). Just put 5 people in the car and a weekend's luggage for them and hit a highway. Around 100kmph of cruising speed, you will understand what I am talking about.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 12:11   #6960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A car will anytime have a better ride than a SUV. Its the laws of physics at play here. SUVs have a high COG and it is really difficult to achieve a flat ride in them, like we get in cars.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote